St Paul Show

Ed+Al+Wolf+Dave-Mike(Sammy+Gary=0)=2012 Tour+CD=fans(money)

Moderator: Andrew

St Paul Show

Postby Angiekay » Tue May 22, 2012 3:55 pm



So, Im usually not a concert reviewer because it's a subjective thing and a different experience for each person, but Saturday night confirmed that I am indeed a Sammy person. Not that I dont like DLR , Dave brought a fun and party attitude to the early days of Van Halen and there are great freakin' songs in those first albums. Sammy bought more depth and an amazing song writing ability to the second phase of VH. The difference to ME was blatant Saturday night. Now, I've seen DLR solo, I've seen Sammy solo, I've seen VH with Sammy and VH with Dave. Sammy is a showman just as much as Dave, but he loves his audience. He works with them, he's there for THEM....he's throwing you a party and you're personally being invited by him to be one with the band. Dave is there for Dave. The awkward dancing, the Michael Jackson sliding across the stage, the high kicks and spins finishing with a pleading look to the audience for acceptance is rather pathetic for a 58 year old man. Not that it isn't entertaining, but it should be a side note, not the highlight of your talent.

All that aside, I come to hear the songs, the MUSIC, and Van Halen MUSICALLY delivered. The music was ON, it was tight, it sounded amazing, like it was still 1984. Alex was awesome, and while the voice and presence of Michael Anthony is still sorely missing, Wolfie holds his own as a great musician in the making. That kid has a future. And Eddie... what can you say about Eddie? He looks good, he looks healthy and he, still, is undeniably one of the best guitarist in the world. Dave....was a joke. From the very opening note, he "talked" sang every song, maybe with the exception of Panama. He let the audience sing for him, he let Eddie and Wolfie sing for him. If this is the reason for the 30+ upcoming show postponements, it's totally understandable.

Btw....Kool and the Gang, KICKED ASS!!!








Image
User avatar
Angiekay
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3603
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: In a state of confusion

Re: St Paul Show

Postby verslibre » Tue May 22, 2012 4:42 pm

Angiekay wrote: Dave....was a joke. From the very opening note, he "talked" sang every song, maybe with the exception of Panama. He let the audience sing for him, he let Eddie and Wolfie sing for him.


That really sucks. Dude can't sing worth a damn anymore.
"Heer's ta swimmen wid bowlegged wimmen!"
User avatar
verslibre
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4999
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 23, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks 4 the review, Angie.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
User avatar
The_Noble_Cause
MP3
 
Posts: 12396
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:14 am
Location: Lake Titicaca

Postby Eyeof » Wed May 23, 2012 6:43 am

Yeah, people got mad at me for saying it, but the show I went two a few weeks ago was not very good and not near as good as 2007....

I hope Chickenfoot makes it to town this year....
User avatar
Eyeof
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby masque » Fri May 25, 2012 5:55 am

people dave rarely, if ever, sang live even back in their glory days.....he's always been a "circus leader" live and makes no apolgies for it....in fact, in many ways he singing more now than he ever did before.

you either love dave or hate him for the most part.
masque
8 Track
 
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Postby cittadeeno23 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:59 am

Great review. You pointed out the differences between Dave and Sammy perfectly. I understand diehard original VH fans not recogniizing this because they are baised. But anyone from the outside can clearly see that Sammy is so much more talented than Dave. It's really not even close. Dave's Schtick was kind of cool in the 70's, but it's just sad now.
cittadeeno23
LP
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:13 am
Location: San Jose, California

Postby Eyeof » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:03 am

'sad now'...so well put...
User avatar
Eyeof
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby AR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:46 am

Sammy Hagar is a fat asshole and his songs in Van Halen were gay.

Long live DLR.

:wink:
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
User avatar
AR
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 8495
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Angiekay » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:09 pm

AR wrote:Sammy Hagar is a fat asshole and his songs in Van Halen were gay.

Long live DLR.

:wink:



I'll shell out more money to listen to Sammy then the less than a dime I'll ever give DLR again. He's a joke. Sammy's got more talent in that fat ass then DLR ever had or ever will.








Image
User avatar
Angiekay
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3603
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: In a state of confusion

Postby No Surprize » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:24 am

Angiekay wrote:
AR wrote:Sammy Hagar is a fat asshole and his songs in Van Halen were gay.

Long live DLR.

:wink:



I'll shell out more money to listen to Sammy then the less than a dime I'll ever give DLR again. He's a joke. Sammy's got more talent in that fat ass then DLR ever had or ever will.



LOL, you haven't a clue.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
User avatar
No Surprize
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:55 am
Location: Captiva Island,Florida

Postby AR » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:34 am

I like Sammy but his fans are vicious.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
User avatar
AR
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 8495
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Angiekay » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:19 pm

No Surprize wrote:
Angiekay wrote:
AR wrote:Sammy Hagar is a fat asshole and his songs in Van Halen were gay.

Long live DLR.

:wink:



I'll shell out more money to listen to Sammy then the less than a dime I'll ever give DLR again. He's a joke. Sammy's got more talent in that fat ass then DLR ever had or ever will.



LOL, you haven't a clue.




That's what you think. :twisted:








Image
User avatar
Angiekay
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3603
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:15 pm
Location: In a state of confusion

Postby slucero » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Different strokes for different folks... some like it in the butt, some in the cooter..... either way ya get laid..



With Hagar/VH you get a concert..

With DLR/VH you get a show...



Both good...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.


~Albert Einstein
User avatar
slucero
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:17 pm

Postby Eyeof » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:34 pm

I didn't get much of a show the last time I saw DLR...Just incessant babbling about speed dogs, poor vocals and a show laced with zero chemistry of a band...

I point that out and was picked apart on here and told how great things were and how I must be wrong….two weeks later they cancelled – ah I mean – ‘postponed’ the tour…

It's funny, how mad the DLR fans get when someone says anything negative about him, a current show or points out that Sammy is simply better in their opinion...

All of the sudden you "don't have a clue" or you are ignorant and now even vicious…

The other thing that really, really cracks me up is the notion that Sammy took the bad too pop….

Have you ever listened to 1984? Sorry guys, that’s already done….

I LOVE 1984, but let’s be honest, “I’ll Wait”, “Jump”, “1984”, etc. those songs are not the second coming of Black Sabbath. Neither is “Dancin’ In the Street” etc.

If pressed I’d say my two favorite VH albums were (in this order) 5150 and Van Halen. 5150 is probably my favorite album ever period. Does it sound very 1986 – Hell Yes. But guess what…It was 1986! But they have not made a VH album yet that I don’t enjoy spinning – and I loved the last one they just put out as well.
User avatar
Eyeof
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:24 am

slucero wrote:With Hagar/VH you get a concert..
With DLR/VH you get a show...


That's the way I always saw it. :-)

I preferred the Roth era music (but liked Hagar era music as well). I always found Roth to be more of a showman, but a truly awful live singer. Hagar's a decent showman IMO, but a shines as a live singer.
DracIsBack
8 Track
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:04 am

Postby AR » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 am

How will I know when it's love? pussified Van Halen for me forever with Sammy. If that is "depth" in song writing you can have it. I like Sammy (moreso his solo and Montrose stuff) but his fans ALWAYS have to criticize DLR. Just shut the fuck up already. I really want to like both eras but it gets hard to sometimes.

So sick of the pussification of rock. The singer isn't the biggest part. If it was The Rolling Stones, Dylan, Springsteen and others would have never made it. Go fucking watch Glee or American Idol.

:)

Nothing against AngieKay's post either. It's all subjective as she said. I'm just sick of the focus being on vocals.
Last edited by AR on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
User avatar
AR
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 8495
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:21 am

Postby AR » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:53 am

masque wrote:people dave rarely, if ever, sang live even back in their glory days.....he's always been a "circus leader" live and makes no apolgies for it....in fact, in many ways he singing more now than he ever did before.

you either love dave or hate him for the most part.


+1
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
User avatar
AR
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 8495
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:21 am

Postby Abitaman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:37 am

I have seen both front men with VH and solo. I will say I am a Hagar fan, let that be know. I think both men put on a good show, Roth more geared to showy, flashy me, me , me rock. Hagar geared more toward just play and have a good time. I would take Hagar solo any day over Roth solo.
But in VH, it is not about who is the better front man, cause Eddie is the true star here. Anyone could sing for the band, and it would work somewhat. Eddie. Eddie, Eddie, you have heard the chant at a concert. I have heard it with both guys leading the band, and heard it on boots with what his in the band. Eddie is the draw, the main draw. Hagar or Roth, or whoever else is a bonus. Hagar seemed to IMO realize that. Roth doesn't, but should. He flopped as a solo artist, andwass kicked out of one reunion for hogging the stage. Roth is a natural showman, and I like his concerts both solo and with VH, but in VH he seems to be the me me me thing too much.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4570
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby lowdbrent » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:38 am

Abitaman wrote:I have seen both front men with VH and solo. I will say I am a Hagar fan, let that be know. I think both men put on a good show, Roth more geared to showy, flashy me, me , me rock. Hagar geared more toward just play and have a good time. I would take Hagar solo any day over Roth solo.
But in VH, it is not about who is the better front man, cause Eddie is the true star here. Anyone could sing for the band, and it would work somewhat. Eddie. Eddie, Eddie, you have heard the chant at a concert. I have heard it with both guys leading the band, and heard it on boots with what his in the band. Eddie is the draw, the main draw. Hagar or Roth, or whoever else is a bonus. Hagar seemed to IMO realize that. Roth doesn't, but should. He flopped as a solo artist, andwass kicked out of one reunion for hogging the stage. Roth is a natural showman, and I like his concerts both solo and with VH, but in VH he seems to be the me me me thing too much.


Roth did not flop. I don't know if you saw him live right after Van Halen, but in the mid-west, he was filling arenas. I saw those shows. His videos were all over MTV. His band was arguably better than Van Halen musically (Sheehan, Vai, Bissonette).
lowdbrent
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: KS

Postby No Surprize » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:35 pm

AR wrote:How will I know when it's love? pussified Van Halen for me forever with Sammy. If that is "depth" in song writing you can have it. I like Sammy (moreso his solo and Montrose stuff) but his fans ALWAYS have to criticize DLR. Just shut the fuck up already. I really want to like both eras but it gets hard to sometimes.

So sick of the pussification of rock. The singer isn't the biggest part. If it was The Rolling Stones, Dylan, Springsteen and others would have never made it. Go fucking watch Glee or American Idol.

:)

Nothing against AngieKay's post either. It's all subjective as she said. I'm just sick of the focus being on vocals.


Agree. It's not always about the vocals, it's what fit's the music. If it was all about the vocals, bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden etc., would never be as popular as they are. Dave always bought the show and fire that is Van Halen.
"Steve "The Riffmaster" Clark"

My generations "Jimmy Page"
User avatar
No Surprize
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:55 am
Location: Captiva Island,Florida

Postby Abitaman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:50 pm

lowdbrent wrote:Roth did not flop. I don't know if you saw him live right after Van Halen, but in the mid-west, he was filling arenas. I saw those shows. His videos were all over MTV. His band was arguably better than Van Halen musically (Sheehan, Vai, Bissonette).


Yes I did, but as an entertainer he still was good. But with material after his second solo CD was bad. His 3rd had some good songs, but for the most part, IMO was poor. But the man could still hold his own on stage. As far as sales, Hagar and Roth both fail off in the late 90's, but just about everyone has.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4570
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby mumpy73 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Each to their own I guess. I went to the Toronto show and it ripped.
I know you would like some light, but sorry there is no lamp . . . .
mumpy73
Fresh Air
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:58 am
Location: London


Return to Van Halen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron