Poison : The Biggest Joke Of The 80's

Anything on those classic LA bands - Poison, Warrant, Dokken, Ratt, Motley Crue or otherwise related.

Moderator: Andrew

Poison : The Biggest Joke Of The 80's

Postby Wayne » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:13 am

I think Poison is the biggest joke to ever come out of 80's rock & in the history of rock & roll for that matter because they were NOTHING but second rate Aerosmith/Kiss/Van Halen clones of the lowest common denominator for the MTV generation without any originality at all while frontman Bret Michaels should pay former VH frontman David Lee Roth royalties for every photograph & every performance for 20 years now for abusing the influence besides the only thing this worthless rock band was good at was making their contemporaries Motley Crue, Bon Jovi & Ratt look more important & more influential than they actually were at the time!!!
Wayne
Ol' 78

Wayne are you clueless?

Postby exsgt33 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:52 am

Got to disagree with you. Biggest joke in Rock history? Put the bong down brother. Even heard of Sigue Sigue Sputnik, GWAR, or Bitch.

Poison are good at what they do. Entertain their fans with music influenced by bands like Kiss and Sweet.

Brett Michaels is a Roth clone? Huh? He doesn't sound like Roth or even look like him. You do realize that David Lee Roth took his look, dress, and stage moves from Jim Dandy of Black Oak Arkansas right? What do you have to say about that?

Poison aren't the greatest band on the planet, but I like I said before they are good at what they do and they're still doing it today. They've lasted longer than most of the bands that started from the 80's LA club scene.
exsgt33
Ol' 78

Postby Jovi Fan 70 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:33 pm

Ha! Wayne, you are very good when it comes to talking out of your ass!
That's ok. Keep dissing bands like Poison, Bon Jovi and Motley Crue and you'll continue to look silly.
Jovi Fan 70
Radio Waves

Postby Bastard Son o' 1000 Blues » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:51 pm

Poison isn't my favorite band (regardless o'my nick) but I think they r great asswell.
They really can entrtain the crowd, I saw one show here in Brazil where they oppened to Aerosmith (and this one is my favorite band) and they did a great job!
None of the original formation of the band are amazing musicians... but the songs have a strong vibe and can make U get out o'any down moment U r passing by.
Flesh and Blood album is one of the best Glam/hard rock albuns made in the 80`s.
Bastard Son o' 1000 Blues
Fresh Air

Postby Mr.Rock » Sat May 01, 2004 4:48 am

Even though I find it a little embarrassing admitting I like Poison, I wouldn't say they are the biggest joke to come from the 80's.

They have done some great Rock anthems and its a shame 'Hollyweird' didn't sell well.
Mr.Rock
Ol' 78

Postby Strat Abuser » Mon May 03, 2004 9:40 pm

Seems like you´re all alone Wayne.

Agree with the others, Poison isn´t the Holy Grail, but they´re damn good hard rockers!
Come one man, buy yourself a beer, meet a girl and put Flesh and Blood to play... you´ll realise what Poison is all about!
"You can take the man out of the 80´s but you can´t take the 80´s out of the man."
Paul Gilbert
Strat Abuser
Fresh Air

Postby motorvatin » Sat May 08, 2004 12:32 am

I think that Poison were entertainers first and their music was good too. They are maybe the exception. I think too many bands, they take the image only and their music is'nt about crap, alot of bands just wanna look good and not play and that is not what it's about in my opinion. To me, you have to have that attitude that comes from the heart, you gotta be able to play and play good otherwise it does not matter what you look like. Alot of band forget that :roll:, ceya~
motorvatin
Fresh Air

Postby HeavyMetalZombie666 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:54 pm

Poison were a second rate glam band. But the third and fourth rate bands are the ones that really hurt the scene and made it where people found other heroes.
HeavyMetalZombie666
Fresh Air

Postby Ambrosia04 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:01 am

Not the best for sure, but man did they have a lot of screaming girl fans and men probably too....lol....when they were big. I was one of them. A bit cheesy in the aftermath, yah, but who the heck wasnt back in the day? I thought they were great at entertaining, and isnt that what an ENTERTAINER does?
If you got love in your sights......watch out! Love bites.....
Ambrosia04
Radio Waves

Postby HeavyMetalZombie666 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:57 pm

Yeah they have a large female following compared to other bands. They still do have a female following.
HeavyMetalZombie666
Fresh Air

Postby MaEdEr_GiRl86 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:44 pm

I like poison... they rate 6th outta my top 10 fav bands...

1- Kiss
2- Bon Jovi
3- Motley Crue
4- Guns n Roses
5- Maeder
6- Poison
7- Cold Chisel
8 - Brides of Destruction
9- LA Guns
10- The Screaming Jets
!Shay*

Business in me...MAEDER RAWK!!!
MaEdEr_GiRl86
Fresh Air

Postby lparn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:10 am

Poison is still one of my favorite bands, they still do an awesome show and their music is fun and enetertaining.
They have done some awesome songs over the years and I enjoy the solo music that Bret has done.
lparn
45 RPM

Postby The Crew » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:39 pm

20 years!!!!!!!!!!! Not many 80's rock bands can say the same!!!
The Crew
Radio Waves

Re: Wayne are you clueless?

Postby YngwieSchenkersteen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:46 pm

exsgt33 wrote:Got to disagree with you. Biggest joke in Rock history? Put the bong down brother. Even heard of Sigue Sigue Sputnik, GWAR, or Bitch.

Poison are good at what they do. Entertain their fans with music influenced by bands like Kiss and Sweet.

Brett Michaels is a Roth clone? Huh? He doesn't sound like Roth or even look like him. You do realize that David Lee Roth took his look, dress, and stage moves from Jim Dandy of Black Oak Arkansas right? What do you have to say about that?

Poison aren't the greatest band on the planet, but I like I said before they are good at what they do and they're still doing it today. They've lasted longer than most of the bands that started from the 80's LA club scene.

Like he said, stop smokin' whatever you're smokin'!! Poison is mediocre compared to Winger, Dokken, Queensryche, Van Halen, or Whitesnake. They are mediocre for a late 80's/early 90's glam metal band, but......

They could play Nirvana or most of those stupid Grunge or Alternative acts under the table. CeCe Deville is no Yngwie Malmsteen or Eddie VH, but he is far better than these drug addicts playing detuned guitars to a drug addict singer groaning about how hard their life is. Brett Michaels sings far better than that idiot from Nickelback who sounds like he is on the john trying to crap Eminem out of his ass. I have yet to hear a cool guitar solo in a Nickelback song like CeCe Deville would play.
YngwieSchenkersteen
Radio Waves

Return to The LA Rocks Board