New Dennis DeYoung podcast in 2017

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

New Dennis DeYoung podcast in 2017

Postby fsutall » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:58 am

From Dennis' Facebook page:

Happy New Years kids
Big thanks to the Cox Media Group for giving me my very own podcast. You heard right. Historically Cox Media Group have been an extremely successful and astute media empire, so why this monetary lapse in judgement. I blame Steve Smith whose brainchild this is. It's premiere will be on the classic rock stations listed below and their websites on January 6th 2017, a day that shall live in infamy.
PODCAST Stations
KGLK HOUSTON. TX
KTKZ SAN ANTONIO. TX
KJSR TULSA. OK
KZLR DAYTON. OHIO
WSRV ATLANTA. GA
WBAB LONG ISLAND. NY
WJGL JACKSONVILLE FLA.
WMMO ORLANDO FLA.
WXGL TAMPA FLA.
All nonsense aside many thanks to Steve, Johnny and Roz at Cox for all their hard work and input to pull this thing off. It's not easy getting me to talk about myself...yeah sure. That was about as difficult as getting president elect Trump to tweet or anyone to say the word "awesome".
This show will be evolving from my musings about Styx and all things classic rock, to interviews, current events, and can't miss theories of the universe. One of my first guests will be the shirtless Vladimir Putin. The topic: the pros and cons of chest waxing.
As always you are safe, the shows gluten free.
I would be remiss if I failed to thank my buddy Chris Taylor for hooking me up with Steve Smith. Thanks Chris but I still want the money you owe me.
Make good on the vig or Vito's coming by.
Tell all your friends and enemies (why should I care who you're mad at) to check it out, it will hopefully be funny and informative. Remember it's absolutely free if you've got your own solar panels.
Cheers and here's to a healthy and decent 2017
Dennis
fsutall
Ol' 78

Re: New Dennis DeYoung podcast in 2017

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:33 am

Interesting. Didn't see this coming. Hope it does well for him.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:39 am

I'm seeing Dennis on the 14th. Can't wait.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:10 am

FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Thanks for posting the link. DDY is entertaining to listen to. As I said, I hope this is successful for him. I hope that he is going to tell stories in and out of Styx that are not the ones he's told 100 times before. Give us some new tidbits please!
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Memorex » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:20 am

That was interesting. He's easy to listen to - good story teller.

Update from my last post - not only am I seeing Dennis on Saturday, but seeing Styx in March. I've never seen them - with or without Dennis. Not sure what to expect.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:32 am

Memorex wrote:That was interesting. He's easy to listen to - good story teller.

Update from my last post - not only am I seeing Dennis on Saturday, but seeing Styx in March. I've never seen them - with or without Dennis. Not sure what to expect.

I'm sure you will enjoy the shows. As I have said before, I think it's time that DDY spices up his set list. Meaning throwing in some deep cuts. I think he under estimates the audience wanting to here some different tunes. Tunes like BFA, Castle Walls, QOS and even Black Wall. The last three times I've gone to see him the set list has been the same. He's going to have to change it up a bit for me to shell out the bucks to go see him again. As far as Styx goes I'm sure they will put on a quality show and I think there is more of chance for you to hear some deep cuts from them. For me, I can't justify seeing them without DDY being involved.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:41 am

If he would play Cross the Rubicon, Born For Adventure, Golden Lark, Unanswered Prayers, Paradise, Wont Go Wasted along with Castle Walls, Pieces of Eight, Borrowed Time & Queen of Spades I would jump on a plane and travel anywhere to see him.

Hell, I would be a free of charge roadie if he'd play those songs ( even though I cant hook up or fix shi t)

DDY has ALWAYS WAY WAY WAYYYYYY underestimated his lesser known classics.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Memorex » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:03 am

Boomchild wrote:
Memorex wrote:That was interesting. He's easy to listen to - good story teller.

I'm sure you will enjoy the shows. As I have said before, I think it's time that DDY spices up his set list. Meaning throwing in some deep cuts. I think he under estimates the audience wanting to here some different tunes. Tunes like BFA, Castle Walls, QOS and even Black Wall. The last three times I've gone to see him the set list has been the same. He's going to have to change it up a bit for me to shell out the bucks to go see him again. As far as Styx goes I'm sure they will put on a quality show and I think there is more of chance for you to hear some deep cuts from them. For me, I can't justify seeing them without DDY being involved.

Yea - I saw him this time last year and I imagine it will be the same song set. This time i spent a few more dollars to be next to the stage so I don;t have a table full of people talking the whole time to ruin it for me.

Styx I've never seen. Have no idea what that will be.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:15 am

yogi wrote:If he would play Cross the Rubicon, Born For Adventure, Golden Lark, Unanswered Prayers, Paradise, Wont Go Wasted along with Castle Walls, Pieces of Eight, Borrowed Time & Queen of Spades I would jump on a plane and travel anywhere to see him.

Hell, I would be a free of charge roadie if he'd play those songs ( even though I cant hook up or fix shi t)

DDY has ALWAYS WAY WAY WAYYYYYY underestimated his lesser known classics.

Unanswered Prayers is my absolute favorite from him :D
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:20 am

FANTASTIC song!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby masque » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 am

i had initially posted I didn't like that song, but then got to thinking about it and I had it mixed up with another song......unanswered prayers is a good song.
masque
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:32 am

masque wrote:i had initially posted I didn't like that song, but then got to thinking about it and I had it mixed up with another song......unanswered prayers is a good song.

I love the song. And I am highly disappointed that his show only includes Desert Moon from the solo stuff.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Memorex wrote:
masque wrote:i had initially posted I didn't like that song, but then got to thinking about it and I had it mixed up with another song......unanswered prayers is a good song.

I love the song. And I am highly disappointed that his show only includes Desert Moon from the solo stuff.

Just got back from the show. First off, more money, closer seats, less talking, much better experience than last year.

Secondly - he did Castle Walls, which was incredible and one of my favorites. A couple other deep cuts as well.

Amazing show. So much fun. Crowd was so into it. He was his usual funny self.

I hope each night he goes to sleep thanking God that he has those two guitarists with him. They add so much to the show.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 am

Memorex wrote:Just got back from the show. First off, more money, closer seats, less talking, much better experience than last year.

Secondly - he did Castle Walls, which was incredible and one of my favorites. A couple other deep cuts as well.

Amazing show. So much fun. Crowd was so into it. He was his usual funny self.

I hope each night he goes to sleep thanking God that he has those two guitarists with him. They add so much to the show.

Glad you had a good time. I have been lucky in that the shows I've gone to I haven't had issues with annoying people around me. One thing that does frustrate me is that DDY always seems to do these deep cuts at the shows that I am not there. DAMN IT. :evil: :wink:
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 am

Memorex wrote:

I think he basically is trying to make it as close to a Styx show as possible. Especially when he brought in August to include Tommy's hit songs. He's always said that Desert Moon would have been a Styx song had they continued after Kilroy. Don't Wait for Heroes would've been one too. But it's not well known to the masses.
It's too bad, I really wish us as fans could have seen the release that would have come after Kilroy had Styx remained together.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm seeing him in February in Merrillville Indiana, I hope he throws at least one deep cut in (solo or with Styx) 8)
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby fsutall » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:11 am

The third podcast episode was posted a few days ago at http://www.wmmo.com/comesailaway/. At 7+ minutes this one is longer than the first two, and focuses on the origins of the Paradise Theater album. No new revelations for serious Styx fans but still interesting to hear what Dennis has to say about the era.
fsutall
Ol' 78

Return to Styx