"The Outpost" was played last night, "Locomotive" also

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

"The Outpost" was played last night, "Locomotive" also

Postby Fact Finder » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:30 am

The Outpost was added to the setlist last might in Hammond, Indiana. Don't see any youtubes of it yet.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/styx/201 ... 0acbd.html
Last edited by Fact Finder on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Re: "The Outpost" added to setlist last night

Postby Fact Finder » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 am

Still no Outpost vids from last night, but I did find that Styx also did debut "Locomotive" live while up in Canada in August. Looks like they've played it a few times since. Heres a nice vid from Ft. Wayne 9/7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNExQvqmMw
Fact Finder
MP3

Re: "The Outpost" was played last night, "Locomotive" also

Postby RumTumJM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 am

The Outpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvHeUy2Ft2s

What I find most interesting is that it seems like they have some kind of tracks/samples going on, at the very beginning. That initial note clearly begins before Gowan hit any keys & Todd is clearly not playing that drum beat. I know it's very minimal, but it's surprising for a band that seemed pretty proud about NOT doing any of that.

It does sound great, though!
RumTumJM
45 RPM

Postby masque » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 pm

very cool to see them playing more of this album.

as for the sample beginning.....why would anyone think this is anything but how "it's supposed to begin". Listen to the actual album. The actual album song starts with those same weak sounding drum machine sample drums......it was a choice to do that and one that are mimicking live. In doing that, it allows the song to stay more true to the actual album version and more importantly, it allows the audience to feel the power of the whole band coming in at the appropriate time.

This kind of stuff is done all the time......RUSH is a band that does it......Neal Peart will hit a sample starter and BOOM, "Big Money" starts and then the whole band follows.
masque
8 Track

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 am

RumTumJM wrote:The Outpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvHeUy2Ft2s

What I find most interesting is that it seems like they have some kind of tracks/samples going on, at the very beginning. That initial note clearly begins before Gowan hit any keys & Todd is clearly not playing that drum beat. I know it's very minimal, but it's surprising for a band that seemed pretty proud about NOT doing any of that.

It does sound great, though!

Thanks for finding that.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 am

Couple nights ago in Wisconsin must have been an evening with Styx show, 23 songs and 2 rarely played oldies and 5 from The Mission. Looks like there was and intermission at this show.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/styx/201 ... 0a512.html

Gone Gone Gone
Radio Silence
Locomotive
Khedive
The Outpost
Pieces of Eight
Lights

Plus Tom Pettys Free Fallin'
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby ztyxlynne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 am

Wow. Looks like they did "Free Falling " also. Good setlist.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby LtVanish » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:31 am

I was at the Horseshoe show last weekend and the band sounded great, the new songs were great to hear, sounded very fresh. The Outpost is awesome live, no doubt about it. I'm glad they have the prerecorded backing track at first, it does help make the song more dynamic when the rest of the band joins in. Tommy seemed kind of out of it though for this show, he didn't seem like he was into it, maybe an off night. Gowan really nailed it all night, say what you want about him, but he is very entertaining and he sounded good especially on the new songs. The biggest complaint is Lorelei and Light Up sung by JY. They really need to stop having JY sing these songs, its like nails on a chalk board, JY voice was never meant for these songs, not to mention his voice is not what it used to be, and never was in the first place, but a decline from that :shock:
Overall great show, it would be cool seeing the entire The Mission performed from start to finish, also the Venue at the Horseshoe in Hammond IN is an awesome place for a show, the sound is just wonderful for a band like Styx, because it is a theatre type of setting, but the Venue sounds like an arena more than a theatre, so it works well for bands like Styx I think.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:32 pm

GREAT GREAT set list.

I would go see this show in a heart beat!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Return to Styx