Moderator: Andrew

Songs that ruined everything

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 pm

STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: Songs that ruined everything

Postby masque » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:25 am

i had not seen that in a long time......its pretty dang funny, even though I love DDY.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:35 am

20 years ago (December 6, 1997) I saw this, and then South Park in April of 1998 which first got me listening to Styx. Thanks for the memories :)

Wow... Just dug up an interview with JY from 2004 (where he pretty much says Dennis is an egomaniac full of himself and ruined the band because of it) and apparently that episode aired the day Dennis' father died.

http://www.lawrence.com/news/2004/may/04/qa_with/

"...there was something that Will Ferrell did on Saturday Night Live back in 1997 where he actually did an impersonation of Dennis DeYoung at the piano, and was singing "Best of Times." They were releasing a CD, which was of course completely make believe, but it was called "The Songs That Ruined Everything." And Will Ferrell on there said something about "took a respected proressive rock band and turned them into an easy listening laughingstock." (laughs) And that's exaggeration, and it's for Saturday Night Live so you'd expect them to take a nugget of what is true and then exaggerate it, but I think there was an element of truth to that, certainly from my perspective, and sadly it aired the night Dennis DeYoung's father died, so it was brutal for Dennis"
Last edited by StyxGuy on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Toph » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:56 am

I know you put that up there to slam DDY ChicagoStyx, but its further proof that he truly was the leader and face of the band. Newsflash - When SNL pokes fun of you, you are doing something right. And in 1996-97, they were.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Toph wrote:I know you put that up there to slam DDY ChicagoStyx, but its further proof that he truly was the leader and face of the band. Newsflash - When SNL pokes fun of you, you are doing something right. And in 1996-97, they were.

Wow, SNL pokes fun at Trump in almost every episode. Trump must be doing a LOT of things right!

The real song that ruined everything was "Smells Like Teen Spirit". But, that's another story.
Monker
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Toph wrote:I know you put that up there to slam DDY ChicagoStyx, but its further proof that he truly was the leader and face of the band. Newsflash - When SNL pokes fun of you, you are doing something right. And in 1996-97, they were.

I wasn’t trying to slam him. I just thought it was kind of funny. I’m well over the styx vs DDY thing. I hope he comes out with a good album.
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:56 am

[quote="Toph"]I know you put that up there to slam DDY ChicagoStyx, but its further proof that he truly was the leader and face of the band. Newsflash - When SNL pokes fun of you, you are doing something right. And in 1996-97, they were.[/quote]

EXAMPLE for Toph: DONALD TRUMP!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Return to Styx