Tommy Interview

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Tommy Interview

Postby DarrenUK » Sun May 15, 2005 6:49 am

I have been working on getting an interview with Tommy sometime during the UK shows for this very site.......will keep you informed.
DarrenUK
Cassette Tape

Re: Tommy Interview

Postby froy » Sun May 15, 2005 7:06 am

DarrenUK wrote:I have been working on getting an interview with Tommy sometime during the UK shows for this very site.......will keep you informed.

I hope you get it

Ask him how he feels losing 3 quarters of his fans with the current lineup
froy
Compact Disc

Postby DarrenUK » Sun May 15, 2005 6:46 pm

Question 1 will be "How does it feel to be free to play anywhere in the world without one member dictating things.

Followed by Froy sends his regards and he wants to know if he can have a signed copy of Big Bang Theory.
DarrenUK
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sun May 15, 2005 9:07 pm

froy wrote:

Yes ask him that, how he has managed to keep a quarters of the fan base, plus get some new fans, and a new record deal, while other groups from that era has lost about 90% of there fan base, and can not even get a recording contract.-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Ash » Mon May 16, 2005 2:39 am

DarrenUK wrote:Question 1 will be "How does it feel to be free to play anywhere in the world without one member dictating things.

Followed by Froy sends his regards and he wants to know if he can have a signed copy of Big Bang Theory.

I hope you're kidding. Is it necessary to stoke the flames of divisiveness beyond the borders of our forum? I'm sure Tommy would rather you not ask him this as to not put him in the uncomfortable shoes of answering it. If you were to interview JY, I'd be of a different opinion.

Seriously tho, I'd like to know how he feels he's improved as a songwriter from the original Styx days to now. Tommy is a much better songwriter now than he was back in the heyday, and I'd like to know from his mouth how he feels about his maturation as a songwriter.
Ash
Cassette Tape

Postby classicstyxfan » Mon May 16, 2005 2:50 am

Ash,

RE: Tommy's songwriting.........Wow. I couldn't disagree with you more.
maybe it came from where he was at that point in his life, but I'll take

- Crystal Ball
- Foolin Yourself
- Blue Collar Man
- Man in the Wilderness

Over anything he's written in the last 25 Years.......Mind you, he's had some good songs since then, but nothing to compare to his 1st 3 lp's out of the chute.

Rather than belittling your opinion ( which is a perfectly valid one ) I'd be interested in having you expound on it...which of his more recent songs do you feel really demonstrate his growth as a songwriter ? is it more the music or the lyrics you see the most growth in ?
classicstyxfan
Cassette Tape

Postby DamnYankee » Mon May 16, 2005 2:58 am

I think the songs on his 7 Deadly Zens album are the most standout that he's written. Especially Ocean, Stop Knockin, Inspiration, and DOwn on the Ground.
DamnYankee
Radio Waves

Postby froy » Mon May 16, 2005 3:05 am

DarrenUK wrote:Question 1 will be "How does it feel to be free to play anywhere in the world without one member dictating things.

Sure they can play to 3000 people anywhere in the world
Or they can get real and play to 12 thousand night after night.
froy
Compact Disc

Postby froy » Mon May 16, 2005 3:06 am

DamnYankee wrote:I think the songs on his 7 Deadly Zens album are the most standout that he's written. Especially Ocean, Stop Knockin, Inspiration, and DOwn on the Ground.

the entire Zens cd is great
Btter than Rama and Big Bong
froy
Compact Disc

Postby froy » Mon May 16, 2005 3:07 am

Abitaman wrote:
froy wrote:

Yes ask him that, how he has managed to keep a quarters of the fan base, plus get some new fans, and a new record deal, while other groups from that era has lost about 90% of there fan base, and can not even get a recording contract.-ERIC

Really what other acts ?
Journey I would say lost 30 percent
Styx lost and 75 percent
froy
Compact Disc

Postby Ash » Mon May 16, 2005 3:08 am

classicstyxfan wrote:Over anything he's written in the last 25 Years.......Mind you, he's had some good songs since then, but nothing to compare to his 1st 3 lp's out of the chute.

Rather than belittling your opinion ( which is a perfectly valid one ) I'd be interested in having you expound on it...which of his more recent songs do you feel really demonstrate his growth as a songwriter ? is it more the music or the lyrics you see the most growth in ?

Lyrically speaking, Tommy's songs are 10,000 times better. Musically there isn't much difference. Tommy hasn't really learned anything (that I can hear through his playing) new in terms of playing the guitar from when he first joined Styx. But from a lyrical standpoint:

I Will Be Your Witness
Who I Am
How Should I Feel
Don't Talk To Me
The Night Goes On

blows the doors off anything he's done. The songs you mention are great songs - don't get me wrong. I just think that these songs show a much deeper side to Tommy's songwriting and the talent and craft he developed. Plus the lyrics and development of his ability to tell a story through song has really come a long way.

You could see the flashes of it in "Man In The Wilderness" and "Fooling Yourself" - I don't in particular think that Crystal Ball or BCM are all that strong of a song.

I see the Shaw/Blades experience being a real turning point in terms of Tommy's songwriting. All his music from that point on seemed to be deeper... of course he's had his stinkers (Best New Face, Everything Is Cool)... but everything from Shaw/Blades on has shown some real growth in him as a songwriter. It's obvious that Tommy is trying to branch out and do new things... which I guess is why the cover album idea hit me so negatively. I would buy TS solo records until the end of time the way he'd been progressing.
Ash
Cassette Tape

Postby Ash » Mon May 16, 2005 3:10 am

froy wrote:the entire Zens cd is great

Aye froy - and on that we can agree. Zens is the best record from a musical/lyrical perspective he's ever done. It's not Styx - but it's not Ambition either.

Zens made me think for the first time that a Styx member could have a solo career on par with the Don Henley's of the music world. It really is that good.
Ash
Cassette Tape

Postby styxfanNH » Mon May 16, 2005 4:23 am

Nice statistical survey Froy. How is it that you came up with 75%?
www.styxtoury.com
Concert Dates, articles, and more
styxfanNH
Stereo LP

Postby sadie65 » Mon May 16, 2005 4:29 am

I wish you luck with getting the interview. I'd like to be naive and think that he should be interviewed about where the band is now, not on old wounds (for certainly he, like everyone else in the band has them), that the fans just don't want to let heal.

Seriously, good luck with the interview.
Sadie
sadie65
Stereo LP

Postby Zan » Mon May 16, 2005 5:30 am

Ash wrote:Lyrically speaking, Tommy's songs are 10,000 times better.

Busted and broke, too old to toke. I'd pay somebody money if they told me a joke. All of my dreams go up in smoke. Don't want to stare at the man who wears a cloak.
-Zan :)

believe me, i know my Styx

Shiny things
Zan
Stereo LP

Postby froy » Mon May 16, 2005 7:09 am

Ash wrote:
froy wrote:the entire Zens cd is great

Aye froy - and on that we can agree. Zens is the best record from a musical/lyrical perspective he's ever done. It's not Styx - but it's not Ambition either.

Zens made me think for the first time that a Styx member could have a solo career on par with the Don Henley's of the music world. It really is that good.

Yep we do agree
I think Zens is his best work
Every song rocks
The Ocean was actually played on the radio here in Chicago
It was obvious to Shaw he was never going to make it solo and thats why he needed the STYX name.
If Zens did not do it for him solo nothing wood have .
froy
Compact Disc

Postby froy » Mon May 16, 2005 7:14 am

styxfanNH wrote:Nice statistical survey Froy. How is it that you came up with 75%?

Its probably more but just look at the last tour with Dennis
They were doing 12 thousand seat sheds with only a Kansas - Benetar warm up.
Now a Styx Kansas show would see Kansas as the headliner and about 3000 - 4000 fans ,
Thats more than 75 percent.
froy
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Mon May 16, 2005 7:49 am

Zens was an incredible CD. It didnt make it cause his lable sucked. They should of broke the bank to promote it.

Glen's lable should of done the same with Welcome To Hollywood.

If I would of had the cash I would of spent every dime I had to push these CD's. Since I dont all I can do is speculate what should of been done and spend someone elses money!!!!!!!!

'Busted & broke and too old to toke' is damn near as good as ' Women , whiskey & sin!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by yogi on Tue May 17, 2005 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby classicstyxfan » Mon May 16, 2005 12:12 pm

Ash,

I am not very familiar with TS's solo work, but based on what I read here, I may have to look into finding a copy of "Zens"

I dont think anything TS has done with Styx recently measures up to his earlier work with the group.....but to each their own.
classicstyxfan
Cassette Tape

Postby Ash » Mon May 16, 2005 9:27 pm

Zan wrote:
Ash wrote:Lyrically speaking, Tommy's songs are 10,000 times better.

Busted and broke, too old to toke. I'd pay somebody money if they told me a joke. All of my dreams go up in smoke. Don't want to stare at the man who wears a cloak.

I prefer:

My head is full of eloquence
and reasons not to be
the weight of this intelligence
is like a stone that's crushing me

let it roll right over me
I'm down here in the dirt
I knew it was not meant to be
and now I'm back here from the hurt
Ash
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx