Lawrence Gowan review

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Postby yogi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Tommy's Girls with Guns tour was great. Played almost all of his Styx hits and played the extra verse of Crystal Ball.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby gr8dane » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:12 pm

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.



Umm, And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.


Exactly Pink.The 3 of them couldn't do a solo tour playing solo material only.
But try and get Toph to admit that.
Maybe if we did it together Topher .Say after me and Pink ...'Dennis can't do a solo tour and do solo material only'.
Take a deep breath Toph,You can do it.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Postby Toph » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:02 am

Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.




Apples and oranges, Gilmour and Pink Floyd have a much larger fan base than Styx and is almost an entire genre different than them. Just like your argument with Gowan and Dennis concerning their solo careers, Gowan started out as a solo artist in Canada, Dennis started as a member of Styx before he became a solo artist, and THEN got back with Styx before he became a solo artist for good. As for Gowan, you're talking about Canada. This is the same country that gave us Celine Dion :shock:

YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.


In a place that is basically a suburb of Detroit....Give it up loser.


LOL...so what you are saying is a Dennis' solo tour could not even tour a suburb of Detroit.

Too funny. Even more funny since it's actually probably true!


Hey Fucktard - exactly how many top 10 singles has Gowan written and sang? How many top 10 albums has he had? how many albums total has he sold? Shut your pie hole.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby Toph » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 am

yogi wrote:Tommy's Girls with Guns tour was great. Played almost all of his Styx hits and played the extra verse of Crystal Ball.


And the 500 people per show really enjoyed it....
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby Toph » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 am

gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.



Umm, And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.


Exactly Pink.The 3 of them couldn't do a solo tour playing solo material only.
But try and get Toph to admit that.
Maybe if we did it together Topher .Say after me and Pink ...'Dennis can't do a solo tour and do solo material only'.
Take a deep breath Toph,You can do it.


How many people would Gowan draw if he did a solo show in pick a random US city?
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby masque » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:18 am

Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.


yes gilmour can do that now.....but could not before and my comments were paraphrasing gilmour....they werent my opinion but rather HIS opinion. both he and waters can now do well as solo artist but not until recently.....without the pink floyd brand they both suffered when they tried to do things on their own....in fact, waters was extremely bitter watching floyd play to 55,000 people doing his songs as pink floyd and across town he couldnt fill up a 2500 seat theater doing the same songs.

the numbers adn success as solo artists are going to be alot less for dennis because his band was a lot less successful from a sales standpoint than floyd. so comparitvely speaking it makes sense.....dennis as a solo artist can draw about 2000-3000 people nowadays and gilmour can do about 8000-10,000.....whereas in their peak days styx was doing 15000-18000 and floyd was doing 35,000-60,000.
masque
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Postby gr8dane » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:01 am

Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.



Umm, And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.


Exactly Pink.The 3 of them couldn't do a solo tour playing solo material only.
But try and get Toph to admit that.
Maybe if we did it together Topher .Say after me and Pink ...'Dennis can't do a solo tour and do solo material only'.
Take a deep breath Toph,You can do it.


How many people would Gowan draw if he did a solo show in pick a random US city?


Nobody obviously.
Your turn.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Postby yogi » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:55 am

Get your facts straight Poth, back in 1985 or 1986 Tommy played back to back shows at the St. Paul Winter Carnival to well over 800 people per show. One ticket got you in to both shows.

I thought you were outta here for good??????
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4002
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:00 am

Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.



Umm, And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.


Exactly Pink.The 3 of them couldn't do a solo tour playing solo material only.
But try and get Toph to admit that.
Maybe if we did it together Topher .Say after me and Pink ...'Dennis can't do a solo tour and do solo material only'.
Take a deep breath Toph,You can do it.


How many people would Gowan draw if he did a solo show in pick a random US city?


The shows would never happen, they would be cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7089
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Boomchild » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:05 am

yogi wrote:Get your facts straight Poth, back in 1985 or 1986 Tommy played back to back shows at the St. Paul Winter Carnival to well over 800 people per show. One ticket got you in to both shows.

I thought you were outta here for good??????


Wow, a Carnival gig, now that's really saying something. Especially coming right off those small crowds that Styx was doing! :roll:
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 7089
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:42 am

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.




Apples and oranges, Gilmour and Pink Floyd have a much larger fan base than Styx and is almost an entire genre different than them. Just like your argument with Gowan and Dennis concerning their solo careers, Gowan started out as a solo artist in Canada, Dennis started as a member of Styx before he became a solo artist, and THEN got back with Styx before he became a solo artist for good. As for Gowan, you're talking about Canada. This is the same country that gave us Celine Dion :shock:

YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.


In a place that is basically a suburb of Detroit....Give it up loser.


LOL...so what you are saying is a Dennis' solo tour could not even tour a suburb of Detroit.

Too funny. Even more funny since it's actually probably true!


Hey Fucktard - exactly how many top 10 singles has Gowan written and sang? How many top 10 albums has he had? how many albums total has he sold? Shut your pie hole.


And, yet he can still go on a solo tour and Dennis can't.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9987
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Postby Monker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:50 am

masque wrote:dennis as a solo artist can draw about 2000-3000 people nowadays


No he can't...not unless he pads it with Styx songs and uses the "...music of Styx" banner. If he just goes out solo, as he did in the beginning, he doesn't sell.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9987
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Postby Toph » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am

Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
masque wrote:why would dennis not try to continue using the brand name he helped create and become famous for? of course he's gonna bill himself as dennis deyoung and the music of styx because the name styx was the company he helped form and got famous and rich for. he would be an idiot to not do that.

it's just like david gilmour said of pink floyd......he spent his whole adult life building a career playing and contributing to pink floyd the brand and he was not going to walk away from that brand he helped create to become a solo artist living in obscurity. and he was right to do so.

if back in the day styx had been the dennis deyoung band and created all of those songs then no problem....just be dennis deyoung but when you have spent your entire career building your talent and brand around a "brand name" then use it.


Well, the simple fact is that Gilmour can tour solo anytime he wants to and sell a lot more tickets then either Dennis or Styx, or even Gowan. Funny, I even have a Gilmour solo concert on my DVR right now which was shown on HDNet.

So, you guys are basically all arguing that even though Dennis has been solo essentially since 1985 or so, after all that time, he is unable to build a solo fanbase and tour and instead must rely on his time with Styx. But, Gowan, did not have the good fortune to be in Styx during their best of times and could afford to build a fanbase to tour for in Canada...years later. That is just so ironic.

Good thing the P brothers were jamming that night or Dennis would have never been known at all...that is what you guys are arguing, not me.




Apples and oranges, Gilmour and Pink Floyd have a much larger fan base than Styx and is almost an entire genre different than them. Just like your argument with Gowan and Dennis concerning their solo careers, Gowan started out as a solo artist in Canada, Dennis started as a member of Styx before he became a solo artist, and THEN got back with Styx before he became a solo artist for good. As for Gowan, you're talking about Canada. This is the same country that gave us Celine Dion :shock:

YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.


In a place that is basically a suburb of Detroit....Give it up loser.


LOL...so what you are saying is a Dennis' solo tour could not even tour a suburb of Detroit.

Too funny. Even more funny since it's actually probably true!


Hey Fucktard - exactly how many top 10 singles has Gowan written and sang? How many top 10 albums has he had? how many albums total has he sold? Shut your pie hole.


And, yet he can still go on a solo tour and Dennis can't.


Again where is he playing in the US?
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:20 am

Monker wrote:
masque wrote:dennis as a solo artist can draw about 2000-3000 people nowadays


No he can't...not unless he pads it with Styx songs and uses the "...music of Styx" banner. If he just goes out solo, as he did in the beginning, he doesn't sell.






Gowan too
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1724
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Postby Cassie May » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:56 am

What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
User avatar
Cassie May
45 RPM
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am
Location: North, South, East, or West of you.

Postby Everett » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5783
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby Cassie May » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Everett wrote:I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring argument.


That's exactly why I didn't start a thread, as well.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
User avatar
Cassie May
45 RPM
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am
Location: North, South, East, or West of you.

Postby gr8dane » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:38 pm

gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.



Umm, And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.


Exactly Pink.The 3 of them couldn't do a solo tour playing solo material only.
But try and get Toph to admit that.
Maybe if we did it together Topher .Say after me and Pink ...'Dennis can't do a solo tour and do solo material only'.
Take a deep breath Toph,You can do it.


How many people would Gowan draw if he did a solo show in pick a random US city?


Nobody obviously.
Your turn.


Let's try again shall we.Toph.
You didn't answer my question but danced around it with a question.

If Dennis were to tour as:
Dennis DeYoung Band plays Boomchild and the other one I don't remember
Back to back.

Would that be more successful than Dennis and the music of Styx.?
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Postby gr8dane » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Everett wrote:
Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.


Any of you guys hear it.?
I didn't know.Good for them.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Postby Everett » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:08 am

gr8dane wrote:
Everett wrote:
Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.


Any of you guys hear it.?
I didn't know.Good for them.


Not yet it's archived on rocklineradio.com soon.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5783
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby masque » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:23 am

gr8dane wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.



Umm, And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.


Exactly Pink.The 3 of them couldn't do a solo tour playing solo material only.
But try and get Toph to admit that.
Maybe if we did it together Topher .Say after me and Pink ...'Dennis can't do a solo tour and do solo material only'.
Take a deep breath Toph,You can do it.


How many people would Gowan draw if he did a solo show in pick a random US city?


Nobody obviously.
Your turn.


Let's try again shall we.Toph.
You didn't answer my question but danced around it with a question.

If Dennis were to tour as:
Dennis DeYoung Band plays Boomchild and the other one I don't remember
Back to back.

Would that be more successful than Dennis and the music of Styx.?


no it wouldnt because boomchild and the other you cant remember were decent albums at best and did not sell well....but guess what??? if dennis went out and played styx 1 and man of miracles back to back it wouldnt sell much better either....only to the super hard core styx fans....because those albums are almost as forgotten as his solo albums....not by me but by the majority of folks. it's all about promoting what made you rich and famous to begin with.
masque
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Postby Cassie May » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 am

gr8dane wrote:
Everett wrote:
Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.


Any of you guys hear it.?
I didn't know.Good for them.


Yes, I listened to Rockline and watched CNN. Rockline also had Nugent on, and it must have been taped before all the controversy last week; it was never discussed. CNN is running a week-long group of segments called Age Against the Machine. Styx was interviewed in a 10 minute segment in which they talked about their ages, what they do to stay in shape, etc. Wasn't bad.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
User avatar
Cassie May
45 RPM
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am
Location: North, South, East, or West of you.

Postby brywool » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:02 am

Cassie May wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Everett wrote:
Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.


Any of you guys hear it.?
I didn't know.Good for them.


Yes, I listened to Rockline and watched CNN. Rockline also had Nugent on, and it must have been taped before all the controversy last week; it was never discussed. CNN is running a week-long group of segments called Age Against the Machine. Styx was interviewed in a 10 minute segment in which they talked about their ages, what they do to stay in shape, etc. Wasn't bad.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj2rBreXoAc
User avatar
brywool
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7620
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:54 am

Postby brywool » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:10 am

Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


:!:

It woulda been nice had Ted SHUT HIS MOUTH for 2 seconds... dang what an idiot.
User avatar
brywool
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7620
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:54 am

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:40 am

Everett wrote:
Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.


EXACTLY. There's no point in it. I heard the ad for this on the radio earlier this week. Couldn't listen to the show.

This is not a good place to come to 'reasonably discuss Styx'.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 9987
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:40 pm

Postby Everett » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 am

Cassie May wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Everett wrote:
Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.


Any of you guys hear it.?
I didn't know.Good for them.


Yes, I listened to Rockline and watched CNN. Rockline also had Nugent on, and it must have been taped before all the controversy last week; it was never discussed. CNN is running a week-long group of segments called Age Against the Machine. Styx was interviewed in a 10 minute segment in which they talked about their ages, what they do to stay in shape, etc. Wasn't bad.



Nah rockline was live. I called in didn't get to ask my question though :cry:
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5783
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:17 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Postby Cassie May » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 am

Monker wrote:
This is not a good place to come to 'reasonably discuss Styx'.


And that's a damn shame.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
User avatar
Cassie May
45 RPM
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am
Location: North, South, East, or West of you.

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:57 am

brywool wrote:
Cassie May wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Everett wrote:
Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.


Any of you guys hear it.?
I didn't know.Good for them.


Yes, I listened to Rockline and watched CNN. Rockline also had Nugent on, and it must have been taped before all the controversy last week; it was never discussed. CNN is running a week-long group of segments called Age Against the Machine. Styx was interviewed in a 10 minute segment in which they talked about their ages, what they do to stay in shape, etc. Wasn't bad.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj2rBreXoAc




I do have to say, Tommy looks like he hasn't aged a day since he joined Styx. I'm still tickled that Todd is close to my age, and what is with JY's face....it just looks weird :shock:
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
User avatar
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1724
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:15 am
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

Postby Toph » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:47 am

masque wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:
Monker wrote:
pinkfloyd1973 wrote:YOU are now arguing:

Pink Floyd and Styx were not Progressive rock.
A band that was voted the most popular band in America, the first to have five platinum albums in a row, is really just nothing special compared to Pink Floyd
The fact that 100yrs went gold in Canada means nothing...because, hey, it's Canada and anything from Canada is irrelevant.

Therefore, Styx did not have a large enough fan base in 1985 to carry over to Dennis' solo career...And, according to some here, Dennis was responsible for all of that success...and yet he couldn't translate all of this into a solo career to tour with.

But, without the benefit of any of the above, Gowan can still tour solo.



Umm, And as for Dennis' solo career, just look at JY's and Tommy's solo efforts. Just being in Styx doesn't mean it will translate into a successful solo career.


Exactly Pink.The 3 of them couldn't do a solo tour playing solo material only.
But try and get Toph to admit that.
Maybe if we did it together Topher .Say after me and Pink ...'Dennis can't do a solo tour and do solo material only'.
Take a deep breath Toph,You can do it.


How many people would Gowan draw if he did a solo show in pick a random US city?


Nobody obviously.
Your turn.


Let's try again shall we.Toph.
You didn't answer my question but danced around it with a question.

If Dennis were to tour as:
Dennis DeYoung Band plays Boomchild and the other one I don't remember
Back to back.

Would that be more successful than Dennis and the music of Styx.?


no it wouldnt because boomchild and the other you cant remember were decent albums at best and did not sell well....but guess what??? if dennis went out and played styx 1 and man of miracles back to back it wouldnt sell much better either....only to the super hard core styx fans....because those albums are almost as forgotten as his solo albums....not by me but by the majority of folks. it's all about promoting what made you rich and famous to begin with.


And the same scenario would happen if he went out and played "the best of Gowan."

A better comparison - how many tickets does Larry Gowan sell if he plays the music of Styx in a solo show. That is what I thought....
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Postby Toph » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:49 am

Monker wrote:
Everett wrote:
Cassie May wrote:What kills me is that on a forum devoted to Styx, you all would rather waste your time arguing about stupid shit rather than reasonably discuss the facts that Tommy and JY were on Rockline last night, and the whole band was featured on CNN today. Sigh. Sometimes it really does make no sense at all.


I almost started a thread about that but it would've turned into
the same old boring arguement.


EXACTLY. There's no point in it. I heard the ad for this on the radio earlier this week. Couldn't listen to the show.

This is not a good place to come to 'reasonably discuss Styx'.


Becuase you are always so reasonable with your dumb ass Gowan can tour solo and DeYoung can't bullshit.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2803
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

PreviousNext

Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests