Styx new merchandise

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Styx new merchandise

Postby Toph » Sat May 24, 2014 4:21 am

Have you seen the T Shirts? Is this Styx or Iron Maiden?
Toph
Stereo LP

Re: Styx new merchandise

Postby FormerDJMike » Sun May 25, 2014 8:44 am

Hmmm... Maybe I'm missing something but the ones I saw look like classic Wooden Nickel Styx shirts. I was actually disappointed when I didn't see anything that looked like Maiden.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Toph » Sun May 25, 2014 11:52 am

Give me a freakin break. Skulls, Knives going through angels, Charon on his boat....None of these are on brand. You would have never seen Styx from 1975 - 1998 align themselves with that kind of crap. Why these guys want to be a heavy metal band is beyond me. Its an embarrassment. Stop trying to be something you aren't. The manager Briscoe will do anything for a buck - including selling out what this band is/was. Yet another reason why fans of DDY think this incarnation of the band is a joke and is doing everything to bastardize what was built for 20 years.

I give Journey and Foreigner credit. Even though they have new lead singers, they at least are staying true to the brand and what these bands stood for. Styx is trying to be something that many of its core fans would never recognize. The class is gone from this band.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby masque » Sun May 25, 2014 11:17 pm

two things;

1) Charon is for sure "on brand" with a freaking band named Styx. yes as the years went by and their tampon rock become super popular then things associated with that kind of branding took a back seat, with the exception of their backwards satanic messages of course.

2) maybe they are morphing a bit, god forbid, possibly even changing a little bit….you sort of crack me up on this subject…….for the last couple of years you have bitched about them claiming to be rockers but in your eyes they really weren't acting like rockers with their look and music and now that they are actually moving in the direction they said they wanted to be and actually doing what they claimed then you bitch about that……..i would hate to be married to you 8)
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Mon May 26, 2014 12:08 am

Toph wrote:Give me a freakin break. Skulls, Knives going through angels, Charon on his boat....None of these are on brand. You would have never seen Styx from 1975 - 1998 align themselves with that kind of crap. Why these guys want to be a heavy metal band is beyond me. Its an embarrassment. Stop trying to be something you aren't. The manager Briscoe will do anything for a buck - including selling out what this band is/was. Yet another reason why fans of DDY think this incarnation of the band is a joke and is doing everything to bastardize what was built for 20 years.

I give Journey and Foreigner credit. Even though they have new lead singers, they at least are staying true to the brand and what these bands stood for. Styx is trying to be something that many of its core fans would never recognize. The class is gone from this band.

Fascinating.
Fans of DDY.
And why exactly should Styx care about what DDY fans like you think ? :lol: :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon May 26, 2014 6:37 am

masque wrote:two things;

1) Charon is for sure "on brand" with a freaking band named Styx. yes as the years went by and their tampon rock become super popular then things associated with that kind of branding took a back seat, with the exception of their backwards satanic messages of course.

2) maybe they are morphing a bit, god forbid, possibly even changing a little bit….you sort of crack me up on this subject…….for the last couple of years you have bitched about them claiming to be rockers but in your eyes they really weren't acting like rockers with their look and music and now that they are actually moving in the direction they said they wanted to be and actually doing what they claimed then you bitch about that……..i would hate to be married to you 8)

I'm sure you embrace this change masque. Because you are the "new" fan that they are trying to attract. I'm sure you appreciate cheesy pseudo satanic rock and heavy metal, probably have a number of tattoos, and probably are on some type of government assistance. A nice night out on the town probably involves going to the Olive Garden. You vacation at Myrtle Beach, SC, Daytona, or the Atlantic City. I get it. This appeals to you.

But the fact of the matter is that they have no clue as to what their brand is or should be. Again, when you lose your key visionary that tends to happen. You put out crap music, sell coffee, Oh Mamma jewelry, and you then you want to persuade the world that you are some combination of Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Ronnie James Dio. You appear on "That Metal Show" and look completely out of place. You want to erase from memory the fact that you were a complete top 40 band for most of your career and of your 8 highest charting hits, 5, arguably 6 were ballads. Of course with this new "metal focus" you add to your repertoire with such head bangers as Just Be and Difference in the World. The fact of the matter is this band and its management has no appreciation of its past, no appreciation of its brand, and tries to create a mish mash of elements that makes no strategic sense whatsoever.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon May 26, 2014 6:39 am

gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:Give me a freakin break. Skulls, Knives going through angels, Charon on his boat....None of these are on brand. You would have never seen Styx from 1975 - 1998 align themselves with that kind of crap. Why these guys want to be a heavy metal band is beyond me. Its an embarrassment. Stop trying to be something you aren't. The manager Briscoe will do anything for a buck - including selling out what this band is/was. Yet another reason why fans of DDY think this incarnation of the band is a joke and is doing everything to bastardize what was built for 20 years.

Fascinating.
Fans of DDY.
And why exactly should Styx care about what DDY fans like you think ? :lol: :lol:

They should care that they have bastardized the brand and that Styx now stands for nothing.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon May 26, 2014 6:10 pm

Toph wrote:I give Journey and Foreigner credit. Even though they have new lead singers, they at least are staying true to the brand and what these bands stood for. Styx is trying to be something that many of its core fans would never recognize. The class is gone from this band.

What complete bullshit. Journey, for years, said they wanted to go into a new direction, move on the Perry era. Then they get a deal with Wal-Mart and hire a singer from YouTube who does a good Perry imitation, and THEN they are all about the "legacy sound"...and rerecord the greatest hits. After that, Neal takes over and does an album completely different then the "legacy sound".

If Styx had acted like that you, and others, would critiqued every move. You would have went nuts over a DDY imitator. You would have went nuts over them rerecording the GH...oh, they did that, huh? What was your response? You must have love those albums because they were acting like Journey.

And, of course, Journey selling wine and Christmas ornaments, and scarab jewelry, I'm sure you burn Journey incense candles whenever take a crap.must mean selling coffee and jewelry are great ideas for Styx.
Monker
MP3

Postby gr8dane » Mon May 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:

Fascinating.
Fans of DDY.

They should care that they have bastardized the brand and that Styx now stands for nothing.

I am sure,if you send them your DDY fan's Styx business plan,they'll oblige.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Mon May 26, 2014 10:32 pm

do they sell the lazy susan for keyboards? :lol:
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Tue May 27, 2014 1:39 am

scarab wrote:do they sell the lazy susan for keyboards? :lol:

Sold out.
There is rumour going around,
Dennis showed up in disguise at a Styx show and got one.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby masque » Tue May 27, 2014 2:09 am

Toph wrote:
masque wrote:two things;

I'm sure you embrace this change masque. Because you are the "new" fan that they are trying to attract. I'm sure you appreciate cheesy pseudo satanic rock and heavy metal, probably have a number of tattoos, and probably are on some type of government assistance. A nice night out on the town probably involves going to the Olive Garden. You vacation at Myrtle Beach, SC, Daytona, or the Atlantic City. I get it. This appeals to you.

But the fact of the matter is that they have no clue as to what their brand is or should be. Again, when you lose your key visionary that tends to happen. You put out crap music, sell coffee, Oh Mamma jewelry, and you then you want to persuade the world that you are some combination of Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Ronnie James Dio. You appear on "That Metal Show" and look completely out of place. You want to erase from memory the fact that you were a complete top 40 band for most of your career and of your 8 highest charting hits, 5, arguably 6 were ballads. Of course with this new "metal focus" you add to your repertoire with such head bangers as Just Be and Difference in the World. The fact of the matter is this band and its management has no appreciation of its past, no appreciation of its brand, and tries to create a mish mash of elements that makes no strategic sense whatsoever.

toph you truly crack me up…….you truly are pathetic, but par for the course and certainly standard behavior for your limited intellect.

i won't bother to be drawn into your pathetic and redneck attempt of an argument on the claims of govt. assistance because if i did and discussed what I did for a living and the amount of money i made it would possibly be seen as an arrogant move on my part. however, i will say this, i would be highly unlikely to trade paychecks with you, let's just put it that way.

i will, on the other hand, point out that I am far from being a "new" fan. unless, of course, you see someone listening to the band and that band being their favorite band since 1976???? if that makes me "new" in your eyes, so be it.

i suppose that since i am a musician and have written songs myself that i understand as an artist that people and their tastes change. that's why as a rush fan i can enjoy their entire catalog….because as they changed i was ready for them to do something different. i didn't want moving pictures over and over.

thats why as an ac/dc fan that my like for them has come and gone over the years because they don't change and havnt changed…..i have……so at times, their music is just what the dr. ordered and other times it is not.

thats why as a queen fan i always loved the eclectic nature of what they did throughout their careers.

styx was always morphing and changing as well…..but the difference between you and I, (besides about 35 IQ points), is that I have always preferred the more up tempo guitar oriented side of styx. i love DDY and i need his keyboards and i love most of his songs……but if i had to choose the side of styx that includes babe, first time and don't let it end or the side that includes renegade, great white hope and blue collar man then the choice is simple for me.

so, in essence, i don't have a problem with them "trying" to be a hard rock band or whatever they are doing. it's more appealing to me than going on a "greatest ballads" tour.

now, hopefully, all of this is clear to you. if not, give me a little time and I will draw it all out with some crayons on some colored construction paper and scan and upload for you…..just let me know. 8)
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue May 27, 2014 2:45 am

This is very small but check it out. It is Satan on a Styx sticker from 1973-74. There is also a rare poster with the same image that Troy used to have years ago when he had the online Styx Museum. I know it is hard to see in this small pic but check it out.

FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue May 27, 2014 2:56 am

Well, I have searched high and low for that classic 1974 poster even went with the wayback machine and actually found Troy's website. But no pick of that Devil Poster. It was very similar to that sticker, but even more "heavy metal".
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Monker » Tue May 27, 2014 5:11 am

scarab wrote:do they sell the lazy susan for keyboards? :lol:

These guys bought one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... aLR4E1qNSM
Monker
MP3

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 27, 2014 1:25 pm

masque wrote:i suppose that since i am a musician and have written songs myself that i understand as an artist that people and their tastes change. that's why as a rush fan i can enjoy their entire catalog….because as they changed i was ready for them to do something different. i didn't want moving pictures over and over.

You know it's funny DDY made a similar comment when talking about the change in sound when it came to Cornerstone. He wanted to do something different then what they had been doing for the last several albums. The point is that some will like it and some will not. From my point of view the current Styx can do what they want. It doesn't mean that some will chuckle and poke fun at some of it though.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Normally I would not bother to visit their site but this post peeked my interest. To me the shirts in question don't seem to fit the band image. Post the wooden nickel era I never felt the band focused on the the mythical nature of the bands name. At least from a dark side or pagan image. Listening to them I would never picture images like those on these shirts. Just seems like they are trying to put forth some kind of bad ass image. Nice try but a few decades too late. Now if they really wanted to make an image change perhaps some new music would be a more believable. These are shirts that you would expect to see bands like GNR and Sabbath do. Styx sure isn't like them at all.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Wed May 28, 2014 1:09 am

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:i suppose that since i am a musician and have written songs myself that i understand as an artist that people and their tastes change. that's why as a rush fan i can enjoy their entire catalog….because as they changed i was ready for them to do something different. i didn't want moving pictures over and over.

You know it's funny DDY made a similar comment when talking about the change in sound when it came to Cornerstone. He wanted to do something different then what they had been doing for the last several albums. The point is that some will like it and some will not. From my point of view the current Styx can do what they want. It doesn't mean that some will chuckle and poke fun at some of it though.

i agree 100%....and it also means that some people will not really care one way or another (which is mostly my view) and some will freaking love it....it's all good in my book and nothing to argue about.....i mean NONE of these bands are relevant anymore in any real way.......it's pretty much all nostalgia for all of them and that's cool.....im real glad that many of them are still out there playing.....but what they sell, record or anything they market, will have little to no change on the pop radar.......it only matters to the few hundred or possibly thousand people that still give a rat's ass.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 am

masque wrote:i agree 100%....and it also means that some people will not really care one way or another (which is mostly my view) and some will freaking love it....it's all good in my book and nothing to argue about.....i mean NONE of these bands are relevant anymore in any real way.......it's pretty much all nostalgia for all of them and that's cool.....im real glad that many of them are still out there playing.....but what they sell, record or anything they market, will have little to no change on the pop radar.......it only matters to the few hundred or possibly thousand people that still give a rat's ass.

The points you've made here are valid ones. We should be able to discuss our views without getting into arguments or turn the discussion into a personal attack on someone you don't share the same opinion. To me that is just someone stroking their own ego or insecurity. Your totally right that regardless of what DDY or the current Styx does is not going to impact where they are at this place in time. But, I have to say some of it is comical in both camps. The sad point is that you had a group of extremely talented individuals that came together and did some amazing things but, in the long run couldn't keep it together. It wasn't caused by one individual or event. If you believe that your just fooling yourself.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Thu May 29, 2014 3:16 am

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:i agree 100%....and it also means that some people will not really care one way or another (which is mostly my view) and some will freaking love it....it's all good in my book and nothing to argue about.....i mean NONE of these bands are relevant anymore in any real way.......it's pretty much all nostalgia for all of them and that's cool.....im real glad that many of them are still out there playing.....but what they sell, record or anything they market, will have little to no change on the pop radar.......it only matters to the few hundred or possibly thousand people that still give a rat's ass.

The points you've made here are valid ones. We should be able to discuss our views without getting into arguments or turn the discussion into a personal attack on someone you don't share the same opinion. To me that is just someone stroking their own ego or insecurity. Your totally right that regardless of what DDY or the current Styx does is not going to impact where they are at this place in time. But, I have to say some of it is comical in both camps. The sad point is that you had a group of extremely talented individuals that came together and did some amazing things but, in the long run couldn't keep it together. It wasn't caused by one individual or event. If you believe that your just fooling yourself.

you and I are in complete agreement on this.....well said!
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Thu May 29, 2014 3:37 am

Just read all these posts, while eating my 'Styx' brand microwave popcorn, drinking my Styx brand Root Beer while ROCKING out to 'Just Be', 'Little Girl World', and 'Yes I Can'

All I want to do is rock 'TS'

P.S. DDY has a new T on his website. Its with him( I think its Dennis) on a Harley. It looks like his hair has blown off and below the motorcycle image it says' Born For Adventure'

Looking at all these Tee shirts and new food & jewelry products ,now seems like the PERFECT time for the band to get back together!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Thu May 29, 2014 8:35 am

Boomchild wrote:Normally I would not bother to visit their site but this post peeked my interest. To me the shirts in question don't seem to fit the band image. Post the wooden nickel era I never felt the band focused on the the mythical nature of the bands name. At least from a dark side or pagan image. Listening to them I would never picture images like those on these shirts. Just seems like they are trying to put forth some kind of bad ass image. Nice try but a few decades too late. Now if they really wanted to make an image change perhaps some new music would be a more believable. These are shirts that you would expect to see bands like GNR and Sabbath do. Styx sure isn't like them at all.

What? No pagan imagery in this band? It's in their lyrics, especially on the PT and GI albums...that's just loopy for you to say.
Monker
MP3

Postby Toph » Fri May 30, 2014 6:04 am

Monker wrote:
Boomchild wrote:Normally I would not bother to visit their site but this post peeked my interest. To me the shirts in question don't seem to fit the band image. Post the wooden nickel era I never felt the band focused on the the mythical nature of the bands name. At least from a dark side or pagan image. Listening to them I would never picture images like those on these shirts. Just seems like they are trying to put forth some kind of bad ass image. Nice try but a few decades too late. Now if they really wanted to make an image change perhaps some new music would be a more believable. These are shirts that you would expect to see bands like GNR and Sabbath do. Styx sure isn't like them at all.

What? No pagan imagery in this band? It's in their lyrics, especially on the PT and GI albums...that's just loopy for you to say.

Idiotic statement. Why do you want them to be a satanic outfit? Yeah Show Me The Way is stating their undying love for the pagan Gods.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri May 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:

Idiotic statement. Why do you want them to be a satanic outfit? Yeah Show Me The Way is stating their undying love for the pagan Gods.

Ah, perhaps you should stop hiding behind your castle walls, gazing at album covers of crystal balls, wizards, and Easter Island monuments. Maybe listen to the wise words of Tireseas, "what you are after is sweet homecoming, but the god will make it hard for you. I think you will not escape Shaker of the Earth, who holds a grudge against you in his heart, and because you blinded his dear son, hates you. But even so and still you might come back, after much suffering, if you can contain your own desire, and contain your companions'"
Monker
MP3

Postby Boomchild » Fri May 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:What? No pagan imagery in this band? It's in their lyrics, especially on the PT and GI albums...that's just loopy for you to say.

I think it's has more to do with the images on the said t-shirts don't really match the type of band and music Styx mainly did. In their hay day they were a mainstream AOR rock band. Their music doesn't really reflect that kind of imagery.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Sat May 31, 2014 3:58 am

Robot on the front of a Black Tee. Arrow thru the robots head with blood everywhere.

This matches the thought process of the current band.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Sat May 31, 2014 9:36 am

yogi wrote:Robot on the front of a Black Tee. Arrow thru the robots head with blood everywhere.

This matches the thought process of the current band.

Better yet, Robot on the front of Black Tee. On the back of Tee, arrow through the head of a person that slightly resembles a member that was booted from the band and below that image the wording could be We Don't Need No Stinkin' Robots! 8)
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Return to Styx