Dennis Update

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Dennis Update

Postby Toph » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:36 am

Hey everybody

Wednesday night Suzanne and I attended the world premier of Sting's musical "The Last Ship" right here in Chicago. I have been following the show since he released his cd of a group of songs he was working on as a basis for a show not yet written.

Very similar to Hunchback in that a songwriter who has never done any Broadway begins with what he knows, writing songs. The music on the cd only hinted at what the story might actually become and Wednesday we saw the result. Between the director Joe Mantello and the book writer John Logan a heartfelt and powerful tale based loosely on Sting's life has emerged. The dynamic of fathers and sons and their relationship is at the core of this show and for me contain the most compelling parts. There are other stories being told, one being the loss of dignity when an entire way of life is lost as an industry such as shipbuilding collapses, the other is a love triangle.

First attempts at musicals are a tricky affair but this show was much further along then most I have seen. It was passionate, poignant and polished. Yes that three P's.

I really loved the show and told Sting so. Best songs were The Last Ship, Dead Man's Boots, and The Night the Pugilist Learned How to Dance. The very best song was cut which was Practical Arrangement due to character changes. Sting said it would be the first song to a new musical. One can never be sure how a musical will be embraced by an audience but for me this show is terrific.

The after party was a place for old reunions. I talked to Jerry Moss former owner of A and M records and to Jeff Frankel who I worked with on the Show Me the Way video. Jeff is now at Spotify and we both lamented the loss of the golden age of the music business.

I haven't posted much lately because I have been holed up in the studio mixing the dvd, cd package for Frontiers and the tv show for AXS. That's a lot of mixing since all three are very different.

I just received the airing date for the AXS series The Headliners Club of which my show will be one in the series. The date is October 20, 2014. It looks and sounds great and I am thrilled to finally have this band and show on video. cheers ddy

http://abc7chicago.com/entertainment/st ... go/140290/

#TheLastShip #Sting
Toph
Stereo LP

Return to Styx