another live DVD

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

another live DVD

Postby willspups » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:05 am

I just read over at Ultimate Classic Rock that Styx is putting out another DVD (from their summer tour with Foreigner). This must be a joke right? They really have absolutely no shame at this point with re-hashing their catalog.
willspups
Radio Waves

Re: another live DVD

Postby ztyxlynne » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:23 am

I just read the same article. I hope it is just a rumor. Really another live album? Come on guy's! Dennis is coming out with a new record, why can't you???
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:22 pm

I have a feeling that this is more then just a rumor. I have heard that they were going to be releasing some kind of DVD this year. No sense in begging and pleading for new material, it's falling on deaf ears.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:45 am

In this live DVD they welcome Chuck back and he plays the cow bell all the way through Blue Collar Man. You can actually hear JY two or three times mutter 'more cow bell Chuck'
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:20 am

Funny how Dennis releases a live DVD and it is the best compilation of Styx music ever....But when Styx does it the petty critique starts before you are even certain it will be released.
Monker
MP3

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:06 am

Monker wrote:Funny how Dennis releases a live DVD and it is the best compilation of Styx music ever....But when Styx does it the petty critique starts before you are even certain it will be released.

The critique seems to be centered around them not releasing new material. It seems to me that it is coming more from those that are are still interested in the current Styx then those that are not. As far as DDY's latest release, it is not the "best" in my opinion. It does capture DDY and his band extremely well and Dennis covers what was popular in Styx's catalog more completely then the current version of Styx does. In my opinion even as good as it is, it's not exactly like or better then the original Styx people here have come to love.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:27 am

We need more cowbell Monk!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:32 pm

It'll be released. I read it somewhere else as well. Can't recall exactly because I wasn't looking for it. Basically it was an update of 2015 releases. It doesn't bother me. A good blu-ray in 5.1 DTS sounds pretty good to me actually. It's not like it's exactly the same as their last 2 DVD's. Some different songs and a few deep cuts. I wish one of the camps would do something to commemorate the 40 year anniversary of Equinox. It probably most likely would need to be DDY since Tommy wasn't on the record and it's primarily a Dennis album. IMO. Doubt it though.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby yogi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:26 pm

More cowbell!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:45 am

Monker wrote:Funny how Dennis releases a live DVD and it is the best compilation of Styx music ever....But when Styx does it the petty critique starts before you are even certain it will be released.

"All I want to do is rock...." - Tommy Shaw
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby LtVanish » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:44 am

I really wish they would do a new album for the fans and not care only about the money. The band has too much talent not to be doing something new and interesting.

At least I've the new Toto album to look forward to, and from the clips I have heard it is going to be epic. I wish Styx would do something exciting like that, I know they are capable.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:42 am

LtVanish wrote:I really wish they would do a new album for the fans and not care only about the money. The band has too much talent not to be doing something new and interesting.

At least I've the new Toto album to look forward to, and from the clips I have heard it is going to be epic. I wish Styx would do something exciting like that, I know they are capable.

No real money in releasing new material = No new material. It's as simple as that. I do not know what evidence people need to get the message that they are no longer motivated by creativity. Which is fine. It's their band and their lives. It seems they have gotten what they wanted out of their careers and are happy to coast along till the well runs dry.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:36 pm

New live version of Come Sail Away is in the works. Song will feature the actual waves crashing against the side of one of their cruise vessel ship concerts.
Other new wrinkles will include, far more cowbell on Fooling Yourself and Miss America. These are all nice added twists.

Who knows maybe Tommy will get the boyz together to play on a few tunes for his next all new Hee Haw album.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:48 am

yogi wrote:New live version of Come Sail Away is in the works. Song will feature the actual waves crashing against the side of one of their cruise vessel ship concerts.
Other new wrinkles will include, far more cowbell on Fooling Yourself and Miss America. These are all nice added twists.

Who knows maybe Tommy will get the boyz together to play on a few tunes for his next all new Hee Haw album.

Damn, I was hoping for a complete cow bell solo. 8)
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:57 pm

Boomchild wrote:
yogi wrote:New live version of Come Sail Away is in the works. Song will feature the actual waves crashing against the side of one of their cruise vessel ship concerts.

Damn, I was hoping for a complete cow bell solo. 8)

Why stop there.?Why not make it the cowbell album.No other instruments. :idea:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:43 am

If you must do a live album, do a live album of never before released live tunes. Here are my suggestions:

- Christopher, Mr. Christopher
- Young Man
- Born For Adventure
- Midnight Ride
- This Old Man
- Ballerina
- Love In the Midnight
- Lights
- Why Me?
- Never Say Never
- Borrowed Time
- Nothing Ever Goes As Planned
- She Cares (What the heck!)
- High Time
- Just Get Through This Night
- Music Time
- Some representative Cyclorama tunes...
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:46 am

Toph wrote:If you must do a live album, do a live album of never before released live tunes. Here are my suggestions:

- Young Man
- Born For Adventure
- Midnight Ride
- This Old Man
- Ballerina
- Love In the Midnight
- Lights
- Why Me?
- Never Say Never
- Borrowed Time
- High Time
- Music Time

If you applied the current Styx's approach to their catalog, it would seem that the list should look like this:

- Young Man
- Midnight Ride

They would most likely not focus on stuff from the WN era since the only widely known song from that era is Lady. They certainly would not select a DDY song if they did. I can't see them picking anything from Cornerstone since that was when their style changed and they have said that they much prefer the material on their albums prior to it. I would say that they are most likely not going to choose material from albums post PO8 and if they did it would be because it's a staple song that people know and was popular. They have gone to great lengths to strip DDY's presence from the history of the band and I think they would only do it if they had to. Which time has shown they don't need to.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:34 am

Toph wrote:If you must do a live album, do a live album of never before released live tunes. Here are my suggestions:

- Young Man
- Born For Adventure
- Midnight Ride
- This Old Man
- Ballerina
- Love In the Midnight
- Lights
- Why Me?
- Never Say Never
- Borrowed Time
- High Time
- Music Time

that would be killer! and extremely refreshing to say the least.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:16 am

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:40 am

I will soon be posting my new live Styx recording that will include TONS of Cowbell on all of Tommy Shaw and JY Styx led classics!
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:33 pm

yogi wrote:I will soon be posting my new live Styx recording that will include TONS of Cowbell on all of Tommy Shaw and JY Styx led classics!

I sure hope it's that Gowan guy playing the cow bell. I read somewhere that he was classically trained on it. I heard that he does this amazing stunt by jumping over it on stage. Maybe if this more cow bell is well received they will come out with a Styx cow bell necklace and charm. 8)
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:01 am

Boomchild wrote:
yogi wrote:I will soon be posting my new live Styx recording that will include TONS of Cowbell on all of Tommy Shaw and JY Styx led classics!

I sure hope it's that Gowan guy playing the cow bell. I read somewhere that he was classically trained on it. I heard that he does this amazing stunt by jumping over it on stage. Maybe if this more cow bell is well received they will come out with a Styx cow bell necklace and charm. 8)

Why stop there? Why not include a cow bell in the ticket price,and everybody can cow bell away . :idea:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:53 am

gr8dane wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

Why stop there? Why not include a cow bell in the ticket price,and everybody can cow bell away . :idea:

That's a good idea. I don't think that's been done before. That may be just the thing to put them back on the map! 8)
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:38 am

Looks like the Live at the Orleans Arena in Vegas DVD will finally be released on September 2nd according to Amazon. Quite a gap between CD and DVD releases. Better late than never?
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:52 am

Dennis has released two DVDs that were vastly different from each other in the time that Styx has released 6 that I can think of off the top of my head without a ton of variation between them aside from GI/PoE and CYO DVD. How many times have they re-released that Arch Allies St. Louis concert?
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:53 am

Archetype wrote:

Dennis has released two DVDs that were vastly different from each other in the time that Styx has released 6 that I can think of off the top of my head without a ton of variation between them aside from GI/PoE and CYO DVD. How many times have they re-released that Arch Allies St. Louis concert?

Well, at the time I wrote that, Mr. Toph was saying DDY's last live CD/DVD was the best collection of Styx music ever. At the time, nobody knew what was even on this release. So, at the very least it was biased to post such critique of a release that nobody knew anything about.

I have no idea what live CD's Styx has released. I have the CYO, Arch Allies, and Styx World. I really don't plan on getting others unless they add several studio songs, or a lot of live stuff that hasn't been recorded yet. However, I do not judge the release before I even know what is on it.
Monker
MP3

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:15 am

Anyone buy the Orleans Blu Ray? I got my copy on Saturday. Weird how they released the CD of the show basically a year ago. So far I'm just watching the interviews. Gowan with his blue hair looks like a tool. Good Lord.

Visually the show is very good, and of course musically they're tight. Tommy is excellent as always. They have more interviews spliced in between each song I guess to give it more length. We've all speculated on the reasons why DDY penned songs were left out of the DVD on this particular release. Just the 2 co-writes of Light Up and RTP. Kinda weird that the show opens with the Light Up intro as they come on stage, but they play TMTOMH. But yet they do it again when they actually play the song. No big deal though. I think using the intro of Put Me On works pretty well to open the show.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Return to Styx