Universal to Re-Release Albums on Vinyl

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Universal to Re-Release Albums on Vinyl

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:26 am

Very odd, just checked them out on Amazon today and all of them were gone. Looked up the box set A&M Years and it is listed as "Currently Unvailable".
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:57 am

I've seen Amazon do this kind of thing before. Usually it's when the release date keeps changing or they are unsure if the item is actually going to materialize.

BTW, DDY just posted on his FB page about just getting a copy of the box set.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:19 pm

I called FYE yesterday to verify and they told me my copy of Equinox arrived. He said "in fact, it looks like we got every Styx album that was just issued but we cannot let you have it until Friday". I asked "Why Friday I thought new music day was Tuesday?". Then he told me they moved music releases to Fridays. So I will pick it up this weekend and listen when I have time. I just had to buy a new stylus which has no playing time so I am not sure if it needs a break-in period or not which may or may not affect the sound. Nothing in the release info indicate anything about them being remastered. However, on Redbeard's show he did mention they were remastered but he also said Lady was cowritten by JY so there is really no telling until the music hits the speakers.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Interesting, NO laser etching on Paradise?? And only a million had it? I have NEVER seen it without it and I have owned it many, many times on vinyl.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Toph » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:15 am

Why wasn't "Edge" included in this set? It wasn't like it didn't sell anything - Gold record just like Equinox and Crystal Ball and had a huge song on it. For that matter, why not put Greatest Hits on Vinyl as a 2 record set and add Rockin The Paradise (which evidently got excluded on the CD because of time constraints)? Greatest Hits is at least a 2x Platinum release.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:55 am

Toph wrote:Why wasn't "Edge" included in this set? It wasn't like it didn't sell anything - Gold record just like Equinox and Crystal Ball and had a huge song on it. For that matter, why not put Greatest Hits on Vinyl as a 2 record set and add Rockin The Paradise (which evidently got excluded on the CD because of time constraints)? Greatest Hits is at least a 2x Platinum release.

It's a fair question. It could be that they wanted to focus on the more long standing line up of the group. Not sure if TS and JY were consulted for input either. If they were I could see them not wanting to include it regardless of how it sold.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:00 pm

FYI, I just ordered the box set from Elusive Disc and it just shipped. They seem to have a good sale price right now. However, I think it just went out of stock. If your interested in ordering it from them I guess you could inquire when they expect to be restocked on it. Here's a link.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Styx-The-AM- ... AMLP71988/
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes, it looks to be out of stock. However, I have what I need with Equinox. I am happy with the versions I have. Let us know what Cornerstone looks like. Dennis seemed to say everything looks pretty much like he remembers so I assume it isn't a gatefold like the Friday pressing. I did some searching yesterday and it seems most copies of Paradise are laser etched. However, I did find one yesterday on e-bay that didn't have it. And I didn't buy my vinyl copy until 1984 so it took that long to sell a million albums? I doubt it. I have personally never seen one without but I don't doubt they are out there. I did check discogs as well and they do have some vinyl releases on there that do not mention the laser etching.

Let us know how the package looks and how they sound! I may pick up Equinox today if time allows.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:00 am

I noticed all this on Amazon. Even their new live CD says it's currently unavailable. A few upcoming releases from other bands have similar info. Doesn't make clear sense. I guess I'll just wait till y'all have a copy to be sure I can get the ones I want.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:00 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:I noticed all this on Amazon. Even their new live CD says it's currently unavailable. A few upcoming releases from other bands have similar info. Doesn't make clear sense. I guess I'll just wait till y'all have a copy to be sure I can get the ones I want.

I believe Elusive Disc also has the albums available individually. Not sure how the price compares to Amazon but my be worth a look.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:53 am

Scratch most of my previous post. I just ordered GI and PoE on Amazon.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:17 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Scratch most of my previous post. I just ordered GI and PoE on Amazon.

Are they the new ones or the Friday Music ones? When I checked Amazon yesterday they only had the Friday releases... Also, a lot of the Rush reissues are not available. Permanent Waves is listed as "Under Review" and Moving Pictures pre-order is gone completely.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:25 am

FormerDJMike wrote:Interesting, NO laser etching on Paradise?? And only a million had it? I have NEVER seen it without it and I have owned it many, many times on vinyl.

I still have all my Styx records and the Paradise with the laser etching. Still don't have the urge to run and buy a needle to listen to them. Set your equalizer setting right and sounds like a record without all the pops.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Abitaman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:27 am

FormerDJMike wrote:Then he told me they moved music releases to Fridays. .

I heard about this a couple weeks ago, said it is how rest of the world does it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:01 am

FormerDJMike wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:Scratch most of my previous post. I just ordered GI and PoE on Amazon.

Are they the new ones or the Friday Music ones? When I checked Amazon yesterday they only had the Friday releases... Also, a lot of the Rush reissues are not available. Permanent Waves is listed as "Under Review" and Moving Pictures pre-order is gone completely.

They're the new ones. You have to search them a certain way. Grand Illusion (LP)
Pieces of Eight (LP)

Exactly like that, parentheses and all.

So on and so forth. They're all $22.99, the Friday Releases vary.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:30 am

Just picked up Equinox for 21.99. Haven't played it yet still not home. Upon inspection they are identical to the original releases. They had Equinox, GI & PO8. I was disappointed that they did not use poly-lined inserts. Same inside jacket as before made of paper. Even Friday Music used poly-lined inserts. The vinyl itself is covered in fingerprints and debris. Will give it a good washing and see what happens but I have seen USED copies that look better than this. Glad I didn't order the whole set.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:56 pm

Go the box set today. Here are some of my initial thoughts and observations. It comes as pictured. All nine albums in silver\gray box with the Styx logo. So far I have looked over Paradise Theater and Cornerstone. PT is exactly like the original sans the laser etching on side 2. I didn't think UNI was going to go to the expense of doing that. On CS, the jacket is just a standard gate fold and not the three flap design of the original. The record sleeve is like the original. Silver with graphics. The only difference is this sleeve is a shiny silver instead of a more flat silver\gray on the original. From what I can tell the albums are identical to the originals for the most part. Except for what I have mentioned above. Right down to the liner notes. No information listed on them being a reissue, 180grm or remastered. Just the UME logo and copyright of 2015 printed on each album jacket. The outer box has no additional information about them being a reissue etc.. The back just has a picture of each album and the track listings. As far as remastering, I believe Redbeard mentioned they were on his show discussing this release. I would assume he would have gotten such information directly from UNI. Overall, it's very nice packaging but I think they should have gone the extra mile to make them more collectable. I am glad they did do this reissue though. I really never thought UNI was even going to do this in the first place. This is based on how they have ignored Styx' catalog over the years. Once I get a chance to listen to these I will share my thoughts on that aspect as well.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Boomchild wrote:Go the box set today. Here are some of my initial thoughts and observations. It comes as pictured. All nine albums in silver\gray box with the Styx logo. So far I have looked over Paradise Theater and Cornerstone. PT is exactly like the original sans the laser etching on side 2. I didn't think UNI was going to go to the expense of doing that. On CS, the jacket is just a standard gate fold and not the three flap design of the original. The record sleeve is like the original. Silver with graphics. The only difference is this sleeve is a shiny silver instead of a more flat silver\gray on the original. From what I can tell the albums are identical to the originals for the most part. Except for what I have mentioned above. Right down to the liner notes. No information listed on them being a reissue, 180grm or remastered. Just the UME logo and copyright of 2015 printed on each album jacket. The outer box has no additional information about them being a reissue etc.. The back just has a picture of each album and the track listings. As far as remastering, I believe Redbeard mentioned they were on his show discussing this release. I would assume he would have gotten such information directly from UNI. Overall, it's very nice packaging but I think they should have gone the extra mile to make them more collectable. I am glad they did do this reissue though. I really never thought UNI was even going to do this in the first place. This is based on how they have ignored Styx' catalog over the years. Once I get a chance to listen to these I will share my thoughts on that aspect as well.

I had also assumed Cornerstone would be gatefold (like the Friday version). I have had multiple copies of Cornerstone over the years and I remember one copy had the silver inner sleeve like you are seeing. I find it a bit disappointing that they did nothing special for this.... Does CITA have the "raised" silver logo or is it the gray 2D version. Would also be cool if it included the original order form for the VHS tape.

I cleaned off Equinox but I was initially disappointed that it came from the factory with finger prints. I also noticed on "Mother Dear" a "speck" in the vinyl from the factory. I almost took it back for exchange but I played that song and it played fine with no clicks, pops or skips. The vinyl itself is VERY quiet and Midnight Ride sounded good. I wonder who pressed these? I really have nothing else to compare it to but the CD so I don't know if it is remastered or not.... Personally my recommendation to anyone is stick with the originals, you can find used copies VG+ for 5 bucks or less. Waiting now for Wooden Nickel!

I also heard Redbeard mention they were remastered but in the same breath he also said JY cowrote Lady, so I don't know how reliable he is.

One more thing -- I put the record in a poly anti-scratch, anti-static inner sleeve. Will use the one that came with it just for a lyric sheet.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:51 pm

I'll get my copies tomorrow it seems. This resurgence of vinyl is pretty cool. Especially in 180gram. Very sturdy.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:33 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:I'll get my copies tomorrow it seems. This resurgence of vinyl is pretty cool. Especially in 180gram. Very sturdy.

Yeah, 180 is pretty nice. Feels good in the hands too. Rush is doing theirs on 200 gram vinyl (as are the latest Hendrix pressings). I am curious to know the difference in the Friday version of Cornerstone and this new one. Wonder which one sounds better or if they are identical.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:27 am

FormerDJMike wrote:I had also assumed Cornerstone would be gatefold (like the Friday version). I have had multiple copies of Cornerstone over the years and I remember one copy had the silver inner sleeve like you are seeing. I find it a bit disappointing that they did nothing special for this.... Does CITA have the "raised" silver logo or is it the gray 2D version. Would also be cool if it included the original order form for the VHS tape.

I too wished they did something special for this. Such as a booklet with rare photos or commentary by the band members. The album cover for CITA does have the raised silver logo and the original picture inner sleeves. No order form for the VHS. If they did that, I could see some noob mailing it in.

FormerDJMike wrote:I cleaned off Equinox but I was initially disappointed that it came from the factory with finger prints. I also noticed on "Mother Dear" a "speck" in the vinyl from the factory. I almost took it back for exchange but I played that song and it played fine with no clicks, pops or skips. The vinyl itself is VERY quiet and Midnight Ride sounded good. I wonder who pressed these? I really have nothing else to compare it to but the CD so I don't know if it is remastered or not.... Personally my recommendation to anyone is stick with the originals, you can find used copies VG+ for 5 bucks or less. Waiting now for Wooden Nickel!

I also heard Redbeard mention they were remastered but in the same breath he also said JY cowrote Lady, so I don't know how reliable he is.

Of the LPs I examined, they were totally clean except for a tiny amount of mfg. debris which is normal. The remaster or no remaster question is frustrating. I must have missed the part where Redbeard said JY co-wrote Lady. As far as who pressed them, I don't have a clue. I believe there about 16 record mfg. in the U.S. Which for me is surprising. Especially since they would be using old pressing equipment. Which is one of the reasons releases get delayed. I think these will sell to those interested in the benefit of the heavy weight vinyl and collectors. Initially, I was going to pass on this but kind of knew that if I didn't add it to my collection, I would be kicking myself later.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:13 am

FormerDJMike wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:I'll get my copies tomorrow it seems. This resurgence of vinyl is pretty cool. Especially in 180gram. Very sturdy.

Yeah, 180 is pretty nice. Feels good in the hands too. Rush is doing theirs on 200 gram vinyl (as are the latest Hendrix pressings). I am curious to know the difference in the Friday version of Cornerstone and this new one. Wonder which one sounds better or if they are identical.

I'd be interested to know too. As far as GI goes though, all you merch fanatics should be happy that this new Universal LP has the poster that Friday Music 's was lacking.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:35 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:I'd be interested to know too. As far as GI goes though, all you merch fanatics should be happy that this new Universal LP has the poster that Friday Music 's was lacking.

It's a nice detail that they did that. At least.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:37 pm

Luckily my copy of GI from Friday Music had a poster -- but it wasn't from them. A childhood friend knew I would love to have the album on 180 gram vinyl so he bought it for me and mailed it. He slid an extra poster he had in it. Here's my copy with the poster, which I cherish even more since my buddy passed away a couple of years ago. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YfkPOAagXs

And Boomchild, glad you went ahead and got it since you would "kick yourself" if you didn't. Personally, I did not feel that way but I would if they released the Wooden Nickel albums and I didn't buy them. Would also pick up Edge in a heartbeat if that one was reissued.
Last edited by FormerDJMike on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:17 am

Seeing that I never started buying vinyl till recently, I hold that honor to my absolute favorite albums only. I have way too many CD's to rebuy every one in vinyl. It just so happens that Styx requires that I buy 3-4 of their releases on this 180 gram vinyl. Whether it's remastered or not, as long as it's equal to its original release. It's nice that they pay attention to the additives or specialities from the originals.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:57 am

FormerDJMike wrote:Luckily my copy of GI from Friday Music had a poster -- but it wasn't from them. A childhood friend new I would love to have the album on 180 gram vinyl so he bought it for me and mailed it. He slid an extra poster he had in it. Here's my copy with the poster, which I cherish even more since my buddy passed away a couple of years ago. :(

And Boomchild, glad you went ahead and got it since you would "kick yourself" if you didn't. Personally, I did not feel that way but I would if they released the Wooden Nickel albums and I didn't buy them. Would also pick up Edge in a heartbeat if that one was reissued.

I can see why that would be special to you. It was a gr8 gesture for your friend to do that. I've passed up buying some Styx stuff before and then regretted it. Like things I've passed up on eBay. I once passed up a Canadian audiophile pressing of Equinox and was kicking myself. Those are\were hard to find. I eventually did get a copy of it. But I paid way more then the first time I saw it. Another example is the Mobile Fidelity release of GI on vinyl. Now that one is really hard to find.

Speaking of Edge, I did end up finding a copy of the original release on vinyl. From a collector's standpoint it was a gr8 find. However, I was not impressed with the sound quality of it. To me it was lack luster and very thin sounding. I believe it's due to them using the same master for both the CD and vinyl. The EQ for vinyl really needs to be different for the album to sound good. But, this was when vinyl was on it's way out. Plus it this was during the time that A&M wasn't that interested in Styx anymore. So if they were to reissue it they would definitely need to remaster it specifically for vinyl.

It certainly would cool if they did reissue the WN catalog on vinyl. Especially if they involved DDY in the project. He has said he always wished he could go back and rework those recordings.

We have all said before how Styx' catalog deserves more attention and it's true. But, I am sure most diehard fans of any artist or band feel that way. With the amount of albums they sold you would think there would be more attention given.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:02 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Seeing that I never started buying vinyl till recently, I hold that honor to my absolute favorite albums only. I have way too many CD's to rebuy every one in vinyl. It just so happens that Styx requires that I buy 3-4 of their releases on this 180 gram vinyl. Whether it's remastered or not, as long as it's equal to its original release. It's nice that they pay attention to the additives or specialities from the originals.

Same here, I started buying stuff I already had on CD and my wife wasn't happy about it. So I started NOT buying stuff I already had on CD unless I found it really cheap. In the case of Styx, I found original pressings of the A&M stuff on eBay or used bins for a couple of bucks. And really, I don't need the WN albums on vinyl because I have the Japanese remasters from 1998 or so along with the One Way "Styx I" album. I did find Ambition on mint vinyl for $2 last summer and picked it up as well. I just don't see the need to pick up the new UMe stuff since I have original pressings and the Friday GI release. I have been eyeing Cornerstone but it is my least favorite album and I have it on CD so I really don't see the need for it. The exception for my wife & I has been The Beatles. We have all of theirs on CD and now 180 gram reissues. Other than that I have been really trying to stop buying duplicates.

Some stuff I have bought on vinyl only tho and that is the Hendrix catalog. I have "Are You Experienced" on CD and that is the only one I don't have on vinyl. When People, Hell & Angels came out I waited for the vinyl version and that is the only copy I have. I also recently picked up Rush Hemispheres on vinyl and that is the only copy of that that I have. As much as I love Rush, I already have their remastered CD's which can be found for around 5 bucks each so I dont see the need to buy Moving Pictures on vinyl, as much as I want it when it comes out later.
Last edited by FormerDJMike on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:13 am

Boomchild wrote:
FormerDJMike wrote:Luckily my copy of GI from Friday Music had a poster -- but it wasn't from them. A childhood friend new I would love to have the album on 180 gram vinyl so he bought it for me and mailed it. He slid an extra poster he had in it. Here's my copy with the poster, which I cherish even more since my buddy passed away a couple of years ago. :(

I can see why that would be special to you. It was a gr8 gesture for your friend to do that. I've passed up buying some Styx stuff before and then regretted it. Like things I've passed up on eBay. I once passed up a Canadian audiophile pressing of Equinox and was kicking myself. Those are\were hard to find. I eventually did get a copy of it. But I paid way more then the first time I saw it. Another example is the Mobile Fidelity release of GI on vinyl. Now that one is really hard to find.

Speaking of Edge, I did end up finding a copy of the original release on vinyl. From a collector's standpoint it was a gr8 find. However, I was not impressed with the sound quality of it. To me it was lack luster and very thin sounding. I believe it's due to them using the same master for both the CD and vinyl. The EQ for vinyl really needs to be different for the album to sound good. But, this was when vinyl was on it's way out. Plus it this was during the time that A&M wasn't that interested in Styx anymore. So if they were to reissue it they would definitely need to remaster it specifically for vinyl.

It certainly would cool if they did reissue the WN catalog on vinyl. Especially if they involved DDY in the project. He has said he always wished he could go back and rework those recordings.

We have all said before how Styx' catalog deserves more attention and it's true. But, I am sure most diehard fans of any artist or band feel that way. With the amount of albums they sold you would think there would be more attention given.

At one time I did have the Mobile Fidelity of GI. Found it in a used bin back in the 80's for a dollar but it was in terrible shape. No idea where it is now. When Edge was released I bought it on release day. I bought 3 copies from 3 different stores. I bought the CD for home listening from Turtles, the cassette for car listening from another store and the vinyl from Record Bar in the mall. I remember playing the vinyl at home and it was full of skips, I was greatly disappointed but it may have been my turntable and not the record itself. I only bought the record because it was rumored to have a poster, which it didn't. From a collector's stand point I would buy it again and would love to have it and give it a spin and even make a digital copy and compare it to the CD. Not sure why it sounds thin as Edge was recorded in Analog but you are right -- by this point A&M was done with them and may have pressed a CD to vinyl. I remember seeing an add in Billboard magazine for "Dolby Analog" or something and Styx was in the add. Dennis talked about the greatness of it and how it could be transferred to digital. Remember CD's used to say AAD or something on the back of the disc meaning analog recording, analog mixing, digital transfer. It could be at this point the record company just used the digital transfer to vinyl. Would love to hear a vinyl rip of it to see what it sounds like.

In my previous message I said I "try" not to buy so many duplicates and I have the 98 WN remasters from Japan (which sound excellent) but in this case I would have to make an exception. One of the Japanese versions I have is this one:

I think it is pretty rare now but it is pretty cool and has a nice TW4 pic on the inside. Interestingly it contains no songs from Styx I but has I believe about 17-18 tracks on it from the other 3.

Edit: I no longer have Edge on vinyl, I don't know what happened to it or my Day Pass white vinyl. I have tried to get a message to JY to see if he still has some that he would be willing to sell but i have heard no response. Since I left the radio business 10 years ago my contacts have dwindled down to nothing. The people I knew have either moved on or changed e-mail addresses.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:30 am

Just an observation, notice how the few of us are having a constructive conversation? No attitude or negativity. We aren't putting any band members or ex members down nor praising any. Just a simple back and forth about vinyl. This is how it should be. Disagreements happen. But they don't have to be ugly. We'd have more postings if things were more like this. Just an observation.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:30 pm

FormerDJMike wrote:[ Remember CD's used to say AAD or something on the back of the disc meaning analog recording, analog mixing, digital transfer. It could be at this point the record company just used the digital transfer to vinyl. Would love to hear a vinyl rip of it to see what it sounds like.

I'm pretty sure they used the master that was created for the CD to press the vinyl version of EOTC. Back then, some artists would create separate masters for the CD and vinyl. Joe Jackson comes to mind. In the early to mid life of CD the recording process was all over the place. You had AAD, ADD, DDD. That said, the worst thing you can do is use a master that was generated for pressing CDs to press vinyl.

FormerDJMike wrote:In my previous message I said I "try" not to buy so many duplicates and I have the 98 WN remasters from Japan (which sound excellent) but in this case I would have to make an exception. One of the Japanese versions I have is this one:

I think it is pretty rare now but it is pretty cool and has a nice TW4 pic on the inside. Interestingly it contains no songs from Styx I but has I believe about 17-18 tracks on it from the other 3.

I've got that same disc. I believe that it is hard to find at this point. I thought the cover was interesting. It's a great disc to listen to for a mix of the WN stuff.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Styx