Universal to Re-Release Albums on Vinyl

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Universal to Re-Release Albums on Vinyl

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:42 pm

So after listening to Redbeard's program about the Styx vinyl reissues, I decided to check out what other Styx stuff he had on his site. I came across this clip of TS doing Crystal Ball with a verse that was not on the album version. Thought I would put the link to it here in case someone hasn't heard it before. It's pretty interesting.

http://www.inthestudio.net/live-tracks/ ... w-of-styx/
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:16 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Just an observation, notice how the few of us are having a constructive conversation? No attitude or negativity. We aren't putting any band members or ex members down nor praising any. Just a simple back and forth about vinyl. This is how it should be. Disagreements happen. But they don't have to be ugly. We'd have more postings if things were more like this. Just an observation.

+1

I am a Styx fan. Bottom line, enough said.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:20 am

Boomchild wrote:So after listening to Redbeard's program about the Styx vinyl reissues, I decided to check out what other Styx stuff he had on his site. I came across this clip of TS doing Crystal Ball with a verse that was not on the album version. Thought I would put the link to it here in case someone hasn't heard it before. It's pretty interesting.

http://www.inthestudio.net/live-tracks/ ... w-of-styx/

I used to have a copy of it somewhere but it wasn't this version. The one I had was two part with two lead vocalists. I know Styx redid it from Tommy's original version to make it what it is today with all the classic Styx elements.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 am

FormerDJMike wrote:I used to have a copy of it somewhere but it wasn't this version. The one I had was two part with two lead vocalists. I know Styx redid it from Tommy's original version to make it what it is today with all the classic Styx elements.

I think there was a live recording of CB on a Japanese compilation album that also contained an additional verse. I do have said album, so I will need to pull it out and check.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby GrandIllusionist725 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 am

Was it the Reppoo compilation? Always curious about that compilation, but a live version of Crystal Ball with the additional verse would be fun to have!
"I've been instructed to inform you that your privileges have been penalized.
Your avoidance tactics have proven disappointing. Up yours, Roboto!"
GrandIllusionist725
45 RPM

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:26 pm

FormerDJMike wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:Just an observation, notice how the few of us are having a constructive conversation? No attitude or negativity. We aren't putting any band members or ex members down nor praising any. Just a simple back and forth about vinyl. This is how it should be. Disagreements happen. But they don't have to be ugly. We'd have more postings if things were more like this. Just an observation.

+1

I am a Styx fan. Bottom line, enough said.

I know the feeling my friend. What some up wouldn't do for a last chance to see the big 3 on the same stage again.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:36 pm

GrandIllusionist725 wrote:Was it the Reppoo compilation? Always curious about that compilation, but a live version of Crystal Ball with the additional verse would be fun to have!

That's the one. I have it so I need to find it and check. It was either a live version of CB that's just not available on any other album or it has the extra or slightly different lyrics.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:37 pm

If anyone has the Friday Music Cornerstone and the new one, I would like to know a comparison. Curious to know if they are any different.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:28 am

FormerDJMike wrote:If anyone has the Friday Music Cornerstone and the new one, I would like to know a comparison. Curious to know if they are any different.

I'm tempted to buy the Universal release simply due to the packaging. Since they followed the original way it was released. My only gripe about GI packaging is that the actual record sleeve is the lyric sheet. I understand that it's probably the way it was originally, but it'd be nice to have a plain white sleeve to keep the vinyl in. No biggie though.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:00 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:
FormerDJMike wrote:If anyone has the Friday Music Cornerstone and the new one, I would like to know a comparison. Curious to know if they are any different.

I'm tempted to buy the Universal release simply due to the packaging. Since they followed the original way it was released. My only gripe about GI packaging is that the actual record sleeve is the lyric sheet. I understand that it's probably the way it was originally, but it'd be nice to have a plain white sleeve to keep the vinyl in. No biggie though.

I replace all of mine with poly-lined inner sleeves from Sleeve City. Anti-scratch, anti-static and they are wonderful

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Diskeeper-2-0-Antistatic-Record-Sleeves-p/9235.htm

And it looks like we have more information on the mastering from another forum I frequent:

A few months ago, I came across several open copies of "Kilroy Was Here" that I presumed were promo samples or test copies from this upcoming boxed set. The cover was glossy and sharp with markings that indicated a 2015 Universal product. The vinyl was heavy and thick. The ones I saw had RM (Ron McMaster) in the deadwax and were pressed by United Record Pressing. I don't know if these were representative of what actually made it to the production box...

More than likely this is what I also saw on EBay for sale last month. I don't know who Ron is but it looks like they have indeed been remastered.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 am

GrandIllusionist725 wrote:Was it the Reppoo compilation? Always curious about that compilation, but a live version of Crystal Ball with the additional verse would be fun to have!

So I dug out the Reppoo CD. I also have the vinyl version as well. Crystal Ball on this disc is a live version with the normal lyrics. As to when it was was recorded and where I do not know. Since the liner notes are in Japanese, I can't read them to know if it mentions anything about it. I know that it isn't from CTA. My guess it was sometime on the 70's. Maybe during the GI tour?

This disc was a lucky find for me. I have rarely seen it. The LP used to be hard to find as well but, I have seen them pop up on eBay lately. This discussion got me thinking about Styx collections. It would be interesting to know what others have that they think is rare, unique or feel was a great find for their collection. Would love to hear from others here.
Attachments
stxdisc1.jpg
stxdisc1.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 4646 times
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Boomchild wrote:

So I dug out the Reppoo CD. I also have the vinyl version as well. Crystal Ball on this disc is a live version with the normal lyrics. As to when it was was recorded and where I do not know. Since the liner notes are in Japanese, I can't read them to know if it mentions anything about it. I know that it isn't from CTA. My guess it was sometime on the 70's. Maybe during the GI tour?

This disc was a lucky find for me. I have rarely seen it. The LP used to be hard to find as well but, I have seen them pop up on eBay lately. This discussion got me thinking about Styx collections. It would be interesting to know what others have that they think is rare, unique or feel was a great find for their collection. Would love to hear from others here.

I don't think I have anything rare or unique. I have all the standard CD's. The Wooden Nickel release of the first four all together from 2005. Styx Gold and Regeneration 1 and 2. I have GI gold Audio Fidelity and PT gold Audio Fidelity SACD. I have a combo CD of Equinox/CB from BGO Records 2006. I have Equinox, GI, PoE, Cornerstone, CITA and EotC on SHM-CD mini LP. Also PT on SHM-CD. My CD of Cyclorama has a 5.1 surround sound side. And then just GI, PoE and Cornerstone on vinyl. Not a lot of unique items. Oh I have a DVD of the final show with Dennis.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Do you have a way to post that live version? I think it is from 1979. I used to have an LP called "The Styx Special" from "The Source". I have a digital copy of my LP. It was Denny Somach interviewing Styx and playing some songs. One was a live version of Crystal Ball from the Grand Decathelon tour from 79. The rest were the regular cuts. As for rare stuff, I used to have that album, the Kilroy sampler album with a "create your own interview" thing, a "Gold" LP from Mexico that was basically the blue "Classics Vol. 15" on vinyl and Edge on vinyl. I no longer have any of those. I still have the original pressings on CD of Desert Moon and Back To The World. I found BOTH of them together in a cut out bin in 1987 for 4.99. Years later DM would sell for upwards of $300 on eBay. I was tempted but kept the original.

I did some more looking around and Ron McMaster from United Pressing out of Nashville is the one who did these vinyl pressings. I sent an e-mail off hoping to get in touch with him and see if I can find out the source and if they are indeed remastered. Keeping fingers crossed that I get a reply.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:01 pm

Here is what that "Classics Vol 15" looked like on vinyl. Notice how Styx is spelled. I am almost certain mine was not spelled this way, I think I would have caught a mistake like that.

FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Cassie May » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Baron Von Bielski wrote:

The original Grand Illusion album (which I still have, purchased in 1977) did not have a white sleeve for the disc, but a black sleeve with the lyrics printed in white. Side One lyrics printed on one side, Side Two on the other. So, if that is how the "new" GI is, then they followed the original packaging.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:00 am

Cassie May wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:

The original Grand Illusion album (which I still have, purchased in 1977) did not have a white sleeve for the disc, but a black sleeve with the lyrics printed in white. Side One lyrics printed on one side, Side Two on the other. So, if that is how the "new" GI is, then they followed the original packaging.

It is indeed.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:26 pm

FormerDJMike wrote:Do you have a way to post that live version? I think it is from 1979. I used to have an LP called "The Styx Special" from "The Source". I have a digital copy of my LP. It was Denny Somach interviewing Styx and playing some songs. One was a live version of Crystal Ball from the Grand Decathelon tour from 79. The rest were the regular cuts. As for rare stuff, I used to have that album, the Kilroy sampler album with a "create your own interview" thing, a "Gold" LP from Mexico that was basically the blue "Classics Vol. 15" on vinyl and Edge on vinyl. I no longer have any of those. I still have the original pressings on CD of Desert Moon and Back To The World. I found BOTH of them together in a cut out bin in 1987 for 4.99. Years later DM would sell for upwards of $300 on eBay. I was tempted but kept the original.

As far as posting the song here, I am not sure. I am a novice when it comes to that. But if someone can make some suggestions I could certainly try. I have the Kilroy interview LP you mention. I also have the Westwood One Super Star Concert Series LP set of the Kilroy Tour. That was the source material used for the CITA release. Except the WW One is in a more raw audio form without the remixing. The "Gold" LP from Mexico seems like a bootleg release. Speaking of Desert Moon, I bought it on CD when it came out and didn't even have a CD player at the time. I remember when those were going for big bucks on eBay. Then it was reissued and that seemed to make the value of the original drop like a rock.

FormerDJMike wrote:I did some more looking around and Ron McMaster from United Pressing out of Nashville is the one who did these vinyl pressings. I sent an e-mail off hoping to get in touch with him and see if I can find out the source and if they are indeed remastered. Keeping fingers crossed that I get a reply.

Great research, lets hope you get an answer. I remember TS mentioning at one point that the original master for Cornerstone was "lost". So if that is the case I wonder what they used for that one.
Last edited by Boomchild on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:37 pm

FormerDJMike wrote:Here is what that "Classics Vol 15" looked like on vinyl. Notice how Styx is spelled. I am almost certain mine was not spelled this way, I think I would have caught a mistake like that.

Funny, you brought up the misspelling thing. I have a two disc (CD) "The Greatest Hits Of Styx" from Korea that has a similar spelling mistake. It's correct on the from of the packaging but is misspelled on the spine. This leads me to believe that these are bootleg\counterfeit releases. I highly doubt an official release would such a simple mistake. I can tell that different sources were used for making this release. Some of them seem to be from the material that was remastered for the Greatest Hits Vol. I and II releases. Those are much more compressed and sound much louder then some of the other tracks on the discs.
Attachments
styxkor2.jpg
styxkor2.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
styxkor1.jpg
styxkor1.jpg (61.6 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:27 pm

Boomchild wrote:
FormerDJMike wrote:Do you have a way to post that live version? I think it is from 1979. I used to have an LP called "The Styx Special" from "The Source". I have a digital copy of my LP. It was Denny Somach interviewing Styx and playing some songs. One was a live version of Crystal Ball from the Grand Decathelon tour from 79. The rest were the regular cuts. As for rare stuff, I used to have that album, the Kilroy sampler album with a "create your own interview" thing, a "Gold" LP from Mexico that was basically the blue "Classics Vol. 15" on vinyl and Edge on vinyl. I no longer have any of those. I still have the original pressings on CD of Desert Moon and Back To The World. I found BOTH of them together in a cut out bin in 1987 for 4.99. Years later DM would sell for upwards of $300 on eBay. I was tempted but kept the original.

As far as posting the song here, I am not sure. I am a novice when it comes to that. But if someone can make some suggestions I could certainly try. I have the Kilroy interview LP you mention. I also have the Westwood One Super Star Concert Series LP set of the Kilroy Tour. That was the source material used for the CITA release. Except the WW One is in a more raw audio form without the remixing. The "Gold" LP from Mexico seems like a bootleg release. Speaking of Desert Moon, I bought it on CD when it came out and didn't even have a CD player at the time. I remember when those were going for big bucks on eBay. Then it was reissued and that seemed to make the value of the original drop like a rock.

FormerDJMike wrote:I did some more looking around and Ron McMaster from United Pressing out of Nashville is the one who did these vinyl pressings. I sent an e-mail off hoping to get in touch with him and see if I can find out the source and if they are indeed remastered. Keeping fingers crossed that I get a reply.

Great research, lets hope you get an answer. I remember TS mentioning at one point that the original master for Cornerstone was "lost". So if that is the case I wonder what they used for that one.

Quite confident it's gone. So they probably used whatever they use for the CD. Sux for fans of the album, like us. Better question is what did Friday Music use. They claim they remastered it from original tapes.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:34 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Quite confident it's gone. So they probably used whatever they use for the CD. Sux for fans of the album, like us. Better question is what did Friday Music use. They claim they remastered it from original tapes.

What makes you quite confident? I assume it's possible TS got incorrect information or it was located after TS made the statement.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:52 am

Boomchild wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:Quite confident it's gone. So they probably used whatever they use for the CD. Sux for fans of the album, like us. Better question is what did Friday Music use. They claim they remastered it from original tapes.

What makes you quite confident? I assume it's possible TS got incorrect information or it was located after TS made the statement.

Like I've said before, I have SHM-CD's of most of their releases. GI, PoE, CitA, are all definitely remastered. Not Cornerstone though. It sounds exactly like the original CD. Collector even confirmed this. That is why I'm quite confident he's telling the truth.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:27 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Like I've said before, I have SHM-CD's of most of their releases. GI, PoE, CitA, are all definitely remastered. Not Cornerstone though. It sounds exactly like the original CD. Collector even confirmed this. That is why I'm quite confident he's telling the truth.

I want to male it clear that I was not implying that TS was making shit up or lying. I am just saying that masters have gone missing and thought gone forever from archives and re-appeared before. So if Friday Music is claiming their release was remastered from the original tapes, how could this be??
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:30 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Like I've said before, I have SHM-CD's of most of their releases. GI, PoE, CitA, are all definitely remastered. Not Cornerstone though. It sounds exactly like the original CD. Collector even confirmed this. That is why I'm quite confident he's telling the truth.

I want to male it clear that I was not implying that TS was making shit up or lying. I am just saying that masters have gone missing and thought gone forever from archives and re-appeared before. As far as the SHM CDs I am aware of that since I have a set. But is it confirmed that even those remasters were done from the original master tapes and not a copy? So if Friday Music is claiming their release was remastered from the original tapes, how could this be??[/quote]
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:04 am

Boomchild wrote:

I want to male it clear that I was not implying that TS was making shit up or lying. I am just saying that masters have gone missing and thought gone forever from archives and re-appeared before. As far as the SHM CDs I am aware of that since I have a set. But is it confirmed that even those remasters were done from the original master tapes and not a copy? So if Friday Music is claiming their release was remastered from the original tapes, how could this be??
[/quote]

I agree that the Friday Music claim confuses me. If I had another original copy of Cornerstone I could compare. I really hope Tommy was wrong or it was found or something. It's a great album that deserves a proper remaster. GI, PoE and especially CitA benefited from it. Hell, my copy of Edge sounds great having been remastered.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:25 am

A remaster can be done from any source. It doesnt have to be the original tapes but those sound best. You can do a remaster from a cassette, CD or record. In fact I have Motley's "Music To Crash Your Car To" and "Too Fast For Love" was remastered from vinyl because the original tapes were gone. And I have another album from a band called Ransom. Their remaster was done from CD and the bonus cuts remastered from cassette. So I don't doubt Cornerstone has been remastered maybe it has and maybe it was done from a CD.

As for the Styx Gold record from Mexico I don't think it was a bootleg vinyl record. It did have PolyGram logos all over it and they were part of A&M at the time. Mine did not have the misspelling. Sometimes an overseas pressing gets a few details wrong because English isn't their native language.
Last edited by FormerDJMike on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Finally got an answer on remastering. YES, they have been remastered. However, the source isn't known. It was also unknown if the Wooden Nickel releases will be done. I took a look at the Dynamic Range website and uploaded info from my vinyl copy. It had the same score as the 1990 CD release. The Japanese remaster scored very low. You can check it out here, the higher the number the better the dynamic range. You can download the software free (upper right corner for links) and then it will check your digital files.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=styx&album=
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:12 am

FormerDJMike wrote:Finally got an answer on remastering. YES, they have been remastered. However, the source isn't known. It was also unknown if the Wooden Nickel releases will be done. I took a look at the Dynamic Range website and uploaded info from my vinyl copy. It had the same score as the 1990 CD release. The Japanese remaster scored very low. You can check it out here, the higher the number the better the dynamic range. You can download the software free (upper right corner for links) and then it will check your digital files.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=styx&album=

I figured it was the 1990 CD source. I'm actually glad we can buy new copies of the vinyl. It'd be nice to get Styx and Styx II. We will see.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:39 am

I'm still waiting to hear back from United Pressing. Since they are the ones who made the vinyl they should be able to tell me where the source material came from. I kind of don't expect to hear anything but I am keeping my fingers crossed. At this point I won't get the rest but still may get Cornerstone (and if this release pushes the price of the Friday Music version down then that is the one I will get).
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby brywool » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:35 am

Boomchild wrote:

There was a live version from the ROADIE soundtrack that was from the Cornerstone (Grand Decathlon) Tour. I would bet that's where it's from.
NO. He's NOT Steve F'ing Perry. But he's Arnel F'ing Pineda and I'm okay with that.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:54 am

brywool wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

There was a live version from the ROADIE soundtrack that was from the Cornerstone (Grand Decathlon) Tour. I would bet that's where it's from.

I bet that's it, and also the one featured on "The Styx Special". I had posted it once for download on FileFactory for download but I am sure it has since been removed. I cut out all of the studio songs because those can be purchased and I left that live version in the download.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

PreviousNext

Return to Styx