Gary Richrath Dead At 65

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Gary Richrath Dead At 65

Postby Toph » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:43 pm

KC posted on FB that Gary Richrath died Sunday. No word on cause. Another band that won't see a reunion with its key members. Knock, knock... Tommy and Dennis.
Toph
Stereo LP

Re: Gary Richrath Dead At 65

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:15 am

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:31 am

Horrible news. Gary was a great guitarist. I hate hearing this.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:41 am

Toph wrote:KC posted on FB that Gary Richrath died Sunday. No word on cause. Another band that won't see a reunion with its key members. Knock, knock... Tommy and Dennis.

As far as Styx goes, the reunion already happened and is over.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ztyxlynne » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:56 am

REO did have a reunion of sorts I think in 2012. They invited Gary on stage for "riding the storm out" and maybe a couple others for a benefit in Illinois. I bet they are glad that they did that.

Right now all I ask for as a fan is that type of reunion for Styx and DDY. It would be cool for them to at least acknowledge him and make amends so to speek. A concert with him singing CSA or whatever. I think a full blown reunion is never going to happen. But seeing Tommy and Dennis on a stage for a song I think they both would be open too. Hey,at least one can hope right?
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Toph » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:00 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:KC posted on FB that Gary Richrath died Sunday. No word on cause. Another band that won't see a reunion with its key members. Knock, knock... Tommy and Dennis.

As far as Styx goes, the reunion already happened and is over.

Boomer, when it comes to Styx and the chances of reuniting, you have to be the most pessimistic individual I've seen.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:13 am

Toph wrote:Boomer, when it comes to Styx and the chances of reuniting, you have to be the most pessimistic individual I've seen.

I would say that I'm more realistic then pessimistic. JY and TS have done everything they can to distance themselves from DDY and his era in Styx. For quite some time JY wouldn't even say DDY's name when speaking about him. He kept using the term "a former member". So my belief is that as long as JY is in the picture, he has no plans of sharing the stage with DDY ever again. If it wasn't for the popularity of the DDY songs they do still play, I'm sure those would be gone from their set list as well. But they can't since fans expect to hear them. If by some slim to none chance they would all share the stage again as Styx it would merely be to appease fans. That's not what I call a real reunion.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:47 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:Boomer, when it comes to Styx and the chances of reuniting, you have to be the most pessimistic individual I've seen.

I would say that I'm more realistic then pessimistic. JY and TS have done everything they can to distance themselves from DDY and his era in Styx. For quite some time JY wouldn't even say DDY's name when speaking about him. He kept using the term "a former member". So my belief is that as long as JY is in the picture, he has no plans of sharing the stage with DDY ever again. If it wasn't for the popularity of the DDY songs they do still play, I'm sure those would be gone from their set list as well. But they can't since fans expect to hear them. If by some slim to none chance they would all share the stage again as Styx it would merely be to appease fans. That's not what I call a real reunion.

...and let's not forget,to Tommy and JY,this is the best version of Styx.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:36 am

Boomchild wrote:

Do you see Tommy and DDY ever reuniting in a one off type situation (no JY and obviously not calling it Styx since JY controls the name)?
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:36 am

gr8dane wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

...and let's not forget,to Tommy and JY,this is the best version of Styx.

They also thought Brave New World was ready for release...so I don't put much into their musical judgement.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:48 am

gr8dane wrote:...and let's not forget,to Tommy and JY,this is the best version of Styx.

To JY it's clear that he feels this way. I haven't heard TS make such a comment so who knows if he feels the exact same way. JY probably feels this way for various reasons. After all, he has eliminated his biggest competitor for control and power. Plus he get's more of the pie without having to split the biggest share between three people. The way things are is probably the best for all of them. I certainly am not holding my breath or wishing to see them reunited. They may have been able to work together at one time but beyond that they are on different wave lengths.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 am

Toph wrote:Do you see Tommy and DDY ever reuniting in a one off type situation (no JY and obviously not calling it Styx since JY controls the name)?

Not really. I think that CP summed it up when he said he saw no reason for them to work with DDY anymore. I think that the only respect TS has for DDY is from a professional\artistic viewpoint. Even if something like this was to occur I would suspect it would have more to do with money then anything on a personal level. Keep in mind they gave it a try with the last reunion and the longer they were around each other the same old issues drove them apart again. That should tell us something.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 am

Toph wrote:
They also thought Brave New World was ready for release...so I don't put much into their musical judgement.

You can't lay all the problems with BNW at TS and JY's feet. It's widely known that during recording process DDY was sick. Probably more then when they were ready to release it. When I have listened to BNW, I can clearly tell DDY was not 100%. His contributions were all over the place. He should have suggest that they hold off till he was feeling better and could bring his A game. The other fault was they way they chose to record it by passing tapes back and forth to each other. I feel that if they all worked in the studio at the same time the results would have been better. I would not doubt that the pressure from the label and their management regarding touring in support of it didn't help. Then you have the actual touring schedule itself. Putting DDY's illness issues aside, I think that DDY still would have not committed to that kind of schedule. It would have meant a lot of traveling on a tour bus. I don't think DDY was looking to do that at that point in his career. All you need to do is look how he arranges his current shows to see that. Anyone could go on and on about this topic but it really boils down to that the bliss of the reunion was over.
Last edited by Boomchild on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ztyxlynne » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Full blown reunion, file that under "it aint gonna happen.com".

Now inviting him on stage like they do with Chuck, that is what I hope for. It would be cool to see that happen and I also dont think they would be too against it either. It would give them good pr and some headlines. Plus it would shut us up on this subject lol.

By the way, God Speed Gary Richrath.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Wow, a thread about the passing of Gary which turns out not to be a thread about Gary passing. RIP Gary, you will be missed.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Toph » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:17 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:

You can't lay all the problems with BNW at TS and JY's feet. It's widely known that during recording process DDY was sick. Probably more then when they were ready to release it. When I have listened to BNW, I can clearly tell DDY was not 100%. His contributions were all over the place. He should have suggest that they hold off till he was feeling better and could bring his A game. The other fault was they way they chose to record it by passing tapes back and forth to each other. I feel that if they all worked in the studio at the same time the results would have been better. I would not doubt that the pressure from the label and their management regarding touring in support of it didn't help. Then you have the actual touring schedule itself. Putting DDY's illness issues aside, I think that DDY still would have not committed to that kind of schedule. It would have meant a lot of traveling on a tour bus. I don't think DDY was looking to do that at that point in his career. All you need to do is look how he arranges his current shows to see that. Anyone could go on and on about this topic but it really boils down to that the bliss of the reunion was over.

I have to disagree with you. A lot of BNW's issues fall directly at JY/TS feet. They rushed it out and it was clearly an unfinished product. The mixing on their songs was awful and at the end of the day, they, not DDY decided what went on and didn't go on that album. Except for his 5 songs, DDY was shut out. I will agree that many of DDY's songs were not up to par, but few of JY's and Tommys were either. DDY's best contribution IMO "While There's Still Time" was actually recorded when he was well. "Goodbye Roseland" is a great song, but its also a DDY solo song - I don't hear any of these other members in that one. I think "Fallen Angel" is also well written and a good song, but again sounds like DDY solo with a guitar solo interwoven. The other two DDY songs should have been cut. Likewise, JY and Tommy have few "record-worthy" songs on that album. I'd say "Everything Is Cool" makes the cut. There are parts of "Number One" that are interesting (and some that are awful - starting with "Whose that knocking at the door..." and then interrupting that with the guitar solo just doesn't work for me). "I Will Be Your Witness" doesn't have DDY on it at all and sounds like a TS solo song and its lyrics are insipid, "Heavy Water" has moments of interest, but is all over the place. The song Brave New World, likewise has some moments of interest, but I don't hear DDY on that one either. The rest you can flush.

That album should have been delayed at least 6 months with a lot more contributions from all members. Patience is a virtue. When you put an album out with misspelling and grammatical errors in the liner notes, no band picture, and poorly mixed tunes, its been rushed. And that falls right in the lap of JY and Tommy.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:02 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:Do you see Tommy and DDY ever reuniting in a one off type situation (no JY and obviously not calling it Styx since JY controls the name)?

Not really. I think that CP summed it up when he said he saw no reason for them to work with DDY anymore. I think that the only respect TS has for DDY is from a professional\artistic viewpoint. Even if something like this was to occur I would suspect it would have more to do with money then anything on a personal level. Keep in mind they gave it a try with the last reunion and the longer they were around each other the same old issues drove them apart again. That should tell us something.

Uh...check your Chuck quotes. Chuck said He'd like to see them all regroup "before any more of us die off."
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:47 am

Toph wrote:That album should have been delayed at least 6 months with a lot more contributions from all members. Patience is a virtue. When you put an album out with misspelling and grammatical errors in the liner notes, no band picture, and poorly mixed tunes, its been rushed. And that falls right in the lap of JY and Tommy.

This is assuming all is known as to what when on during the recording of it. Which I'm sure is not. The album should have never been released period. But, when the label got wind that there were personnel problems causing the album not to be finished, the label turned up the heat on all of them. It seems to me the bliss of the reunion was over long before they started discussing '99 tour plans. Based on the problems they have had with each other in the past they should have just stuck to doing tours and not ventured down the road of making albums again.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:53 am

Toph wrote:Uh...check your Chuck quotes. Chuck said He'd like to see them all regroup "before any more of us die off."

Uh...he has flip flopped on this question. I believe the comment I mentioned is more recent then the one you are referring to. And he also said he likes the way the band is now. Anyway, he is not the real obstacle.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:59 am

Well, how interesting.

Gary was huge alcoholic and that is what kept him out of REO. For you to make this comparison, DDY to Gary, you must be able to admit some type of addiction that DDY has that was causing his life to go down the toilet in the same way that Gary's did? What's DDY's addiction? Campy dress? Bad jokes? Hair care products?

It's a comparison that makes no sense at all. But, there is a Styx comparison to relate to Gary and REO.

Maybe if Gary had gotten off the alcohol and pulled his life together again, REO could have gotten back together one last time as Styx did after Tommy got off the drugs with the help of Ted when he was in DY.

That's the comparison to be made here...what you are doing is forcing a comparison to advance your own agenda promoting a Styx reunion with DDY.
Monker
MP3

Postby Toph » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Monker wrote:Well, how interesting.

Gary was huge alcoholic and that is what kept him out of REO. For you to make this comparison, DDY to Gary, you must be able to admit some type of addiction that DDY has that was causing his life to go down the toilet in the same way that Gary's did? What's DDY's addiction? Campy dress? Bad jokes? Hair care products?

It's a comparison that makes no sense at all. But, there is a Styx comparison to relate to Gary and REO.

Maybe if Gary had gotten off the alcohol and pulled his life together again, REO could have gotten back together one last time as Styx did after Tommy got off the drugs with the help of Ted when he was in DY.

That's the comparison to be made here...what you are doing is forcing a comparison to advance your own agenda promoting a Styx reunion with DDY.

You're a douchebag.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Toph wrote:You're a douchebag.

And, Dennis is addicted to moonlight.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:37 pm

[quote="Monker"]Well, how interesting.

That's the comparison to be made here...what you are doing is forcing a comparison to advance your own agenda promoting a Styx reunion with DDY.[/quote]

I knew this about Gary. Addictions are horrible.

Today, along with is brother Chuck, John P should have turned 67years old. For me the comparison between Styx and Gary/REO is that John's addiction left him too weak to reunite with Styx for their Return To Paradise Tour. Then his addiction led to his unfortunate death at far too young an age. Gary's alcohol abuse kept him out of REO until their reunion show a few years back. You hate to speculate but I would render a guess that alcohol may have played a part in Gary's death. He was a great underrated guitarist. I always felt that what Neal Schon was to Steve Perry, Gary Richrath was to Kevin Cronin. RIP both Gary & John
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:13 am

Back on topic; it's a damn shame he passed away. He was very underrated and most folks don't realize how vital he was to REO during their heyday. Both as a guitarist and a writer. I wonder whose choice it was he never came back to REO over the passed 25 years.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:51 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Back on topic; it's a damn shame he passed away. He was very underrated and most folks don't realize how vital he was to REO during their heyday. Both as a guitarist and a writer. I wonder whose choice it was he never came back to REO over the passed 25 years.

I'm guessing it was a mutual agreement not to. There was never any animosity between them that I've observed.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby Everett » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Back on topic; it's a damn shame he passed away. He was very underrated and most folks don't realize how vital he was to REO during their heyday. Both as a guitarist and a writer. I wonder whose choice it was he never came back to REO over the passed 25 years.

cronins. He wanted to go solo after life as we know it.
IDK the whole story but the band was going to go on
without kc but record company or the people in kc's ear
told him to go back. He did took over "his" band & fired gary.
That's also one of the reasons why gratzer retired.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Everett wrote:

cronins. He wanted to go solo after life as we know it.
IDK the whole story but the band was going to go on
without kc but record company or the people in kc's ear
told him to go back. He did took over "his" band & fired gary.
That's also one of the reasons why gratzer retired.

Sounds to me like "nobody knows".

http://en.allexperts.com/q/REO-Speedwag ... CHRATH.htm
Monker
MP3

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:

I have to disagree with you. A lot of BNW's issues fall directly at JY/TS feet. They rushed it out and it was clearly an unfinished product. The mixing on their songs was awful and at the end of the day, they, not DDY decided what went on and didn't go on that album. Except for his 5 songs, DDY was shut out. I will agree that many of DDY's songs were not up to par, but few of JY's and Tommys were either. DDY's best contribution IMO "While There's Still Time" was actually recorded when he was well. "Goodbye Roseland" is a great song, but its also a DDY solo song - I don't hear any of these other members in that one. I think "Fallen Angel" is also well written and a good song, but again sounds like DDY solo with a guitar solo interwoven. The other two DDY songs should have been cut. Likewise, JY and Tommy have few "record-worthy" songs on that album. I'd say "Everything Is Cool" makes the cut. There are parts of "Number One" that are interesting (and some that are awful - starting with "Whose that knocking at the door..." and then interrupting that with the guitar solo just doesn't work for me). "I Will Be Your Witness" doesn't have DDY on it at all and sounds like a TS solo song and its lyrics are insipid, "Heavy Water" has moments of interest, but is all over the place. The song Brave New World, likewise has some moments of interest, but I don't hear DDY on that one either. The rest you can flush.

You don't like Great Expectations? I think it's excellent. Love the guitar leads intertwined through the chorus.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Abitaman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:56 am

I heard the same where KC was wanting to go solo, and Bruce Hall was going with him. The reason I heard for the his going solo, was because of Gary's drinking problem. At the time he thought it would be easier to go solo than deal with Gary. Gary had a lot of issue working on Life As We Know It. Being really late to not showing up during recording, then he was there he was so drunk he had no idea what was going on.
If you look at LIFE... Gary's song's are by far the weakest on the cd, usually his parts are strong. So I could see Kevin wanting to go solo, instead of working with Gary and REO. What made him come back? I have never really heard or read, but when he did things changed within the band. Maybe there was no other way around it, Bruce was with KC and Gary was incapable of carrying on, so...
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby DracIsBack » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:16 am

Archetype wrote:I'm guessing it was a mutual agreement not to. There was never any animosity between them that I've observed.

There was a time when Gary had a website and used it to call out Kevin in a very high school way. Let's not sugar coat it.

I don't pretend to know any of these guys, nor was I there to witness what went on. But I definitely remember Gary trying to "rally the troops" on his website against Kevin.

I'm personally glad they seemed to have patched things up toward the end and performed together once. But honestly, if you watch that performance, you could see Gary looked unbelievably unhealthy.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Return to Styx