Styx in Richmond, KY last night!

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Styx in Richmond, KY last night!

Postby masque » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:24 am

i was able to to take my daughter to see the band last night for the first time for her. it was my 23rd time......we were both pumped.

the venue was a 2100 seat theater built in the last five years and was specifically designed for live sound and theater performances......as a result, the sound was pristine. one of the best sounding shows I have seen in a very long time.

The crowd was loud and pumped up and I honestly think it surprised the band a little.....I think it contributed to the band having a pretty good time.

there was no opener, it was an evening with Styx show......they did two separate sets and it was freaking fantastic....I won't try to list the songs in order......but i will list the songs they did based on albums. we had a great time and it was great seeing the boys again. I was especially impressed with the vocals of all involved.....JY must be doing something to help his voice.....he sounded better than I have heard him sound in years and he sang a lot last night.

songs;

lady
light up
loreli
suite madame blue
crystal ball
the grand illusion
fooling yourself
come sail away
miss america
man in the wilderness
castle walls
blue collar man
renegade
pieces of eight
lights
rockin the paradise
too much time on my hands
snowblind
space oddity (bowie cover)

plus gowan's piano solo along with classic rock covers that included rocket man, changes and bohemian rhapsody.
masque
Cassette Tape

Re: Styx in Richmond, KY last night!

Postby Abitaman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:08 am

Good to see them doing a full set again. I stopped seeing them with all the co headlining tours, due to shortened set list. Good to see songs like PO8 and CW back in the set.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Everett » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:06 am

The only thing missing from that is boat on the river.
I only try to see them when their on their own. Best time.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:23 am

yeh it was very cool on the setlist......it had been a few years since I saw them on their own and it was nice to get songs like snowblind and POE for sure.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:39 am

Everett wrote:The only thing missing from that is boat on the river.
I only try to see them when their on their own. Best time.

One of my favorite songs by Shaw
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby masque » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:43 pm

i agree......as with any super fan, like we all are, i have my personal faves that I will likely never see in their entirety live.....songs like "mademoiselle" and "put me on"......i know parts of those songs have been performed in recent years but I would love to hear the entire songs....anyway, enough of that.

getting to see current styx perform an evening with styx was great and I agree, throwing in boat on the river would be fantastic and the only other song I really personally feel is missing is "the best of times"......i think that is one of their all time great songs and not hearing it live always is a bit of a bummer.

i can live without babe, dont let it end, roboto and show me the way........but best of times is one that I truly miss. i heard them do it with gowan on their first tour together in 99. i saw them at the fabulous fox theater in st. louis and ric ocasek's new band, big people, were supposed to open......they cancelled and it turned into an evening with styx and they played a ton of stuff.....i heard all kinds of stuff from brave new world and best of times that night.......which i've never heard them perform again in all the times I have seen them since.

enough rambling. just thinking out loud about which DDY song I miss the most in current styx's live catalog.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:03 am

masque wrote:but best of times is one that I truly miss. i heard them do it with gowan on their first tour together in 99.

I too heard Gowan do this song on the '99 tour. Frankly, I though it was an awful performance of this song. Really cringe worthy. The song just does not suit him at all.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Cassie May » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:59 am

masque wrote:i agree......as with any super fan, like we all are, i have my personal faves that I will likely never see in their entirety live.....songs like "mademoiselle" and "put me on"......i know parts of those songs have been performed in recent years but I would love to hear the entire songs....anyway, enough of that.

Styx has dusted off Mademoiselle and played the full song as recently as 2014. There are a couple videos on YouTube.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby masque » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:05 am

wow, i did not know that, I will check it out.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:01 pm

masque wrote:i agree......as with any super fan, like we all are, i have my personal faves that I will likely never see in their entirety live.....songs like "mademoiselle" and "put me on"......i know parts of those songs have been performed in recent years but I would love to hear the entire songs....anyway, enough of that.

getting to see current styx perform an evening with styx was great and I agree, throwing in boat on the river would be fantastic and the only other song I really personally feel is missing is "the best of times"......i think that is one of their all time great songs and not hearing it live always is a bit of a bummer.

i can live without babe, dont let it end, roboto and show me the way........but best of times is one that I truly miss. i heard them do it with gowan on their first tour together in 99. i saw them at the fabulous fox theater in st. louis and ric ocasek's new band, big people, were supposed to open......they cancelled and it turned into an evening with styx and they played a ton of stuff.....i heard all kinds of stuff from brave new world and best of times that night.......which i've never heard them perform again in all the times I have seen them since.

enough rambling. just thinking out loud about which DDY song I miss the most in current styx's live catalog.

I was at that same show. Awesome! There were tons of people there from the old Styxboard.com in St. Louis that night. It was Ben Orr's band that was supposed to perform but they cancelled, this may have been around the time he got sick. I was disappointed but also glad we got the "evening with" show that night. I don't remember "Best Of Times" off the top of my head but it was probably the acoustic short version. As far as I know they have never played the full version and I remember it not being very good. It was great to hear "Number One" (a song I don't really care for, but it was cool live) and "Half Penny, Two Penny". They might have even done "QOS" that night. Hard to remember it was 1999. My wife and I both enjoyed the show.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Return to Styx