Moderator: Andrew

Jimmy Fallon recreates Too Much Time Music Video

Postby styxfansite » Sun May 01, 2016 2:05 am

"Don't fall into the trap, DEMOCRATS are full of CRAP"........Jack Lemon
styxfansite
8 Track

Re: Jimmy Fallon recreates Too Much Time Music Video

Postby Everett » Sun May 01, 2016 2:54 am

When the hell are they gonna be on the show already?????? This feels like 1999 all over again.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Sun May 01, 2016 2:56 am

That's too much! LOL
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sun May 01, 2016 5:54 am

This thing is showing up every where !
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Cassie May » Sun May 01, 2016 5:56 am

Ultimate Classic Rock and The Week have written about it and posted the video, and Styx has, also. So come on, guys, show up on Fallon!
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby ztyxlynne » Sun May 01, 2016 6:35 am

Awesome. Fallon nailed it!
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Toph » Sun May 01, 2016 12:10 pm

Cassie May wrote:Ultimate Classic Rock and The Week have written about it and posted the video, and Styx has, also. So come on, guys, show up on Fallon!

Not without Dennis DeYoung. No way you pull that off with Gowan. Since Jimmy was DDY, have to have him on there.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sun May 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Toph wrote:
Cassie May wrote:Ultimate Classic Rock and The Week have written about it and posted the video, and Styx has, also. So come on, guys, show up on Fallon!

Not without Dennis DeYoung. No way you pull that off with Gowan. Since Jimmy was DDY, have to have him on there.

Oh, please. Yes, it will be without Dennis. Grow up a little bit.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby gr8dane » Sun May 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Toph wrote:

How about Styx w/ Jimmy as Dennis ? 8)
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Everett » Mon May 02, 2016 2:02 am

Ok if they were all to be there how about::

DDY
Tommy
Todd
DDY's bass player
DDY's other guitar player

Everyone almost wins. No need for jy to be
there so there isn't any drama.
All in a day's work
Everett
Compact Disc

Postby ztyxlynne » Mon May 02, 2016 2:07 am

I agree. Just Shaw and De Young. Call it the Shaw, De Young project!

Just kidding. I agree. Tommy and Dennis no JY. He has been riding on there coat tails long enough. Just use Fallons house band.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Boomchild » Mon May 02, 2016 3:07 am

Someone has put together a side by side comparison with the original video. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2xVG_utRs
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Mon May 02, 2016 7:11 am

I have never watched Jimmy Fallon show.
Is it normal if he does a parody /lip synch or whatever it is he is doing,of bands that have broken
up, that they get back together again ?

I find it rather hilarious that that would happen.
Or somebody would think it would happen.

But hey keep dreaming.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon May 02, 2016 9:02 am

gr8dane wrote:I have never watched Jimmy Fallon show.
Is it normal if he does a parody /lip synch or whatever it is he is doing,of bands that have broken
up, that they get back together again ?

I find it rather hilarious that that would happen.
Or somebody would think it would happen.

But hey keep dreaming.

Yeah, we all know when Fallon did the lip synch battle with Emma Stone and did "Mr. Roboto" that Dennis jumped all over that opportunity and got on his show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLBSoC_2IY8
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Cassie May » Mon May 02, 2016 10:12 am

What I find incredible is how this has taken the Internet by storm. Seems like everyone is talking about this. It's been trending the last two days on Facebook (and when has Styx ever trended on Facebook?), the videos (original and Fallon's) have huge numbers on YouTube, and all the news media have written about this. Styx could not have asked for better free publicity if they'd tried. This has turned into their "Don't Stop Believing".
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby masque » Mon May 02, 2016 10:38 pm

oh holy shit, what if it does turn into their "dont start believing"??? i'm not sure some folks on here could handle tommy being the architect of creating that bus. i think it would cause some heads to explode around here.........ah, the bathwater tastes especially yummy this morning. 8)
masque
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue May 03, 2016 2:42 am

masque wrote:oh holy shit, what if it does turn into their "dont start believing"??? i'm not sure some folks on here could handle tommy being the architect of creating that bus. i think it would cause some heads to explode around here.........ah, the bathwater tastes especially yummy this morning. 8)

Why would it? Any notice given to Styx is a good thing.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby yogi » Tue May 03, 2016 2:44 am

All I know is that its damn funny and its really well done
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby scarab » Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 am

the video competes pretty well with Sep Ways being the worst video of all time.

Funny, I hear this song on the radio more than any other Styx tune.
I am sure Tommys loving the extra $.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Tue May 03, 2016 2:49 am

I love Seperate Ways. Wasnt it shot at Lumber Mart or Home Depot
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Toph » Tue May 03, 2016 5:59 am

Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:

Oh, please. Yes, it will be without Dennis. Grow up a little bit.

No it won't be. You can't have Gowan recreate the finger wag that was decidedly Dennis after they've been mentioning Dennis by name numerous times.

P.S. Go fuck yourself
Last edited by Toph on Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Tue May 03, 2016 6:01 am

scarab wrote:the video competes pretty well with Sep Ways being the worst video of all time.

Funny, I hear this song on the radio more than any other Styx tune.
I am sure Tommys loving the extra $.

He doesn't get the extra money for that. Done under the old agreement. Published under Stygian songs.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Tue May 03, 2016 6:02 am

masque wrote:oh holy shit, what if it does turn into their "dont start believing"??? i'm not sure some folks on here could handle tommy being the architect of creating that bus. i think it would cause some heads to explode around here.........ah, the bathwater tastes especially yummy this morning. 8)

I think its ironic that the most talked about part of that video is the DDY keyboard piece with the finger wag. Jimmy himself chose to be DDY and not Shaw.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Tue May 03, 2016 7:49 am

Toph wrote:

I think its ironic that the most talked about part of that video is the DDY keyboard piece with the finger wag. Jimmy himself chose to be DDY and not Shaw.

Hilarious.The world famous finger wag.The wag everybody is talking about.Dennis' claim to fame.
So famous that Jimmy insisted on doing it and did so well.
You're killing me toph.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue May 03, 2016 8:07 am

scarab wrote:the video competes pretty well with Sep Ways being the worst video of all time.

I'm sorry, as bad as this video is there is no way it's as bad as Separate Ways. That video stuck in my head for years because it's so silly. Point is that it's trying to be serious. Styx is not.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 03, 2016 8:11 am

gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:

Hilarious.The world famous finger wag.The wag everybody is talking about.Dennis' claim to fame.
So famous that Jimmy insisted on doing it and did so well.
You're killing me toph.

Ten bucks says that DDY will start doing this move at his current shows.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Tue May 03, 2016 8:21 am

DDY has been posting about the stir this has created. Here is the latest in which he talks about details behind the making of that video.

Holy FallonRudd,

Neither my former colleagues nor I have ever experienced the social media phenomenon that has exploded since last Friday night's The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. It's all over the net on all kinds of entertainment sites. Our video for TMTOMH on YouTube has jumped about 1 million and Jimmy's Facebook has over 6 million views and counting.

The interesting thing is to read the comments, over 7000 of them and realize that that's a lot compared to the normal amount. The "Hello" Lionel Ritchie spoof looks like it got about 1200 comments. What's going on here?

The closest thing to this was the homeless man playing CSA which got about 10 million views. The most repeated comments outside the love for Jimmy and Paul are about Styx actually appearing on the show. As I write I'm practicing my finger waggle something that I recently trademarked. If you haven't seen it here it is again. By the way Adam Levine has asked Jimmy to stop talking about Styx and focus on Maroon 5.

The story behind the video goes like this...
As previously stated our manager from 1975 until 1982 was Derek Sutton. He adamantly forbade us from performing on TV believing that it would hurt concert sales. He claimed we should remain mysterious. Huh! This is why we never appeared on the myriad of shows all our peers utilized to reach a much larger audience. Midnight Special, In Concert, American Bandstand, SNL you name it no way Jose. Many heated conversations took place. Finally Tommy and Jim Cahill, our PR guy, decided to rebel and go out get some gear and hire Jerry Kramer to shoot a video anyway. Remember both Paradise Theater and Kilroy were done before MTV. The performance part was filmed on a concert stage I think in San Diego, who remembers and the vignettes were done at a bar in LA. This was Tommy and Jim's baby and the rest of us just showed up on a day off from the tour and did what they asked. If you notice in every bit we are making fun of ourselves whether it's the girls ignoring JY, the pool cue going into orbit or John pouring beer while pointing to Billboard in an attempt to impress some old woman at a bar. I was directed as was T to look crazy every time the word crazy was sung hence my raised eyebrow and T's bulging eyes. My finger waggle was actually a tribute to Chico Marx and his piano playing something I did in the moment and have never done since.But you can bet after Jimmy's tribute I'm doin it.

Imagine what might have happened if video actually existed showing all the wonderful things we accomplished during that era.Sadly we remain mysterious during that time, as in invisible. Thanks again Jimmy Fallon and Paul Rudd.

Cheers Dennis
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Tue May 03, 2016 9:01 am

Toph wrote: You can't have Gowan recreate the finger wag that was decidedly Dennis

LOL...so, Fallon won't have Styx on because Gowan doesn't do a finger wag. Do you realize how absolutely fucking loony you sound?

It Styx goes on Fallon, it will be without Dennis. Just as if Dennis goes on it will be without Styx. That's the way it is.

You are such a child.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Tue May 03, 2016 9:02 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:

I'm sorry, as bad as this video is there is no way it's as bad as Separate Ways. That video stuck in my head for years because it's so silly. Point is that it's trying to be serious. Styx is not.

I always thought "After the Fall" was the worst.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Tue May 03, 2016 9:09 am

Well, they said years ago they were waiting for their "Santana" moment.

DSB had a lot of things happen at once. It was on Monster, it was on Glee, and of course the Sapranos. It also came about not long after the band first hired Arnel and their first album with him. So, there was this stuff that lead up to it, and stuff that happened at the same time. It sorta propelled DSB to iconic status.

I doubt that will happen with this....but it IS good for the band. It would be better if they had an album or single out right now.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Next

Return to Styx