Will Styx ever do anything different?

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Will Styx ever do anything different?

Postby yogi » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:05 am

Look for a 7-7-17 release date!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Archetype » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:13 am

Definitely a long time coming. Journey has made 4 albums since Cyclorama came out.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:38 am

Archetype wrote:Definitely a long time coming. Journey has made 4 albums since Cyclorama came out.

The CYO DVD/CD, Big Bang Theory, the two Regeneration CD's, the PO8/GI DVD/CD, the few songs they recorded for the tours....it can be argued that Styx has done just as much. You just don't like the fact that they are not all original songs.
Monker
MP3

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Monker wrote:
Archetype wrote:Definitely a long time coming. Journey has made 4 albums since Cyclorama came out.

The CYO DVD/CD, Big Bang Theory, the two Regeneration CD's, the PO8/GI DVD/CD, the few songs they recorded for the tours....it can be argued that Styx has done just as much. You just don't like the fact that they are not all original songs.

There's also the live @ the Orleans release. Other than the Regeneration CD's I really like the others you listed. Especially CYO. I maybe in the minority here, but I really like Big Bang Theory as well. I may not like when Gowan attempts a DDY song, but I really like the cover songs he sings lead vox on. I prefer his version of A Salty Dog over Procol Harum's.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:32 am

Monker wrote:

Original new songs are the point I'm making. A band can rerecord and rerelease their songs a thousand times, but it's not the same as releasing new original songs. Since Cyclorama came out, Journey has released:

Generations
Revelation
Eclipse

I said 4, but Red 13 actually came out in 2002; I always associate it with the 2003 Main Event tour though.

In the time that Journey released those three albums full of new original songs, Styx has released 3-4 original new songs and a shitload of rerecords and rereleases. Not the same thing at all. For the live DVDs/CDs, all Styx did was play their concert and someone else pressed "record." Regenerations is similar in concept. They went into a studio and played their songs and someone else recorded them. No creative output.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Styx