Wooden Nickel on Cardboard Sleeve Mini LP, SHM-CD Japan

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Wooden Nickel on Cardboard Sleeve Mini LP, SHM-CD Japan

Postby Kilroy1983 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:04 am

Release Date: July 27, 2016
[UICY-77819] Styx [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-77819
[UICY-77820] Styx 2 [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-77820
[UICY-77821] The Serpent Is Rising [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-77821
[UICY-77822] Man Of Miracles [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release] - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-77822
Kilroy1983
Ol' 78

Re: Wooden Nickel on Cardboard Sleeve Mini LP, SHM-CD Japan

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:54 am

I listings for these on eBay the other day. I was kind of surprised they would be reissuing these. Especially on SHM with new remastering.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:04 am

Well,those are my favourite Styx albums after Equinox and CB,but wonder how much better sounding they will be,
than my Complete Wooden Nickel 2 cd Comp on HIP.O.
I am quiet happy with that one.Got it for 10.95 + tax.That's canadian $.
But hey,if you're a collector you are most likely all over this,and I would be interested in hearing about quality of these.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:53 am

gr8dane wrote:Well,those are my favourite Styx albums after Equinox and CB,but wonder how much better sounding they will be,
than my Complete Wooden Nickel 2 cd Comp on HIP.O.
I am quiet happy with that one.Got it for 10.95 + tax.That's canadian $.
But hey,if you're a collector you are most likely all over this,and I would be interested in hearing about quality of these.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot from those albums as well. It just this era was certainly not their most successful era. I would think that there would not be a whole lot of interest to general public. Except for maybe Styx II simply because of Lady. But, the Japanese market is a niche market and it may be worth it. As far as new mastering, I would be interested to know if it is improved from previous releases. The "Wooden Nickel Collection" release remastering was very good in my opinion. The other thing is that the mini LP packaging on these releases does have a cool factor.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Kilroy1983 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:59 am

Styx SHM wooden nickel
Attachments
styx_shm.jpg
shm
styx_shm.jpg (229.4 KiB) Viewed 5086 times
Kilroy1983
Ol' 78

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:03 am

I ordered Styx and Styx II today.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby styxfix » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:47 pm

I see Universal will be releasing all Nine of A&M albums on shm-cd again in Japan in late October plus they are releasing the latest Live in New Orleans w/ Blu-ray or DVD video or just the shm-cd w/o video earlier that month. I only hope they sound better than the batch of shm-cd releases.
styxfix
Fresh Air

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:27 am

I got Styx and Styx II. I pretty much have all the ones I'm willing to buy. I guess I could get Equinox and Crystal Ball.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby StyxCollector » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:51 am

styxfix wrote:I see Universal will be releasing all Nine of A&M albums on shm-cd again in Japan in late October plus they are releasing the latest Live in New Orleans w/ Blu-ray or DVD video or just the shm-cd w/o video earlier that month. I only hope they sound better than the batch of shm-cd releases.

In some cases, the existing mini-LP SHM CDs are a definite improvement (example: CITA's original release in 1990 sucked; the SHM mini-LP sleeve is better). Cornerstone and PT were not remastered in that initial batch of mini-LP sleeves. PT was of course done for the SHM-SACD/Platinum SHM-CD/SHM-CD 3rd reissue in mini-LP sleeves. Here's the breakdown of what's coming out in October:

1. Equinox, Crystal Ball, Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight, Cornerstone, Kilroy Was Here, Caught In The Act ... Live, Edge of the Century - new 2016 remasters (so different than the initial run or not done at all; this would mark the first time Cornerstone has officially been remastered on CD). I'm the most excited about Cornerstone - something I thought I'd never say!
2. PT - 2014 remaster (i.e. same as the Platinum SHM/SHM-SACD)

I haven't compared the WN releases to any of the older ones but the bass definitely is not as bloated as on the WN Collection 2 CD set. I am almost through Styx I. I was away on business when they came in so this is the first chance I've had to listen to them. These are definitely different transfers than any other one I've heard - they are more detailed. If anything, Styx I is a touch bass-light to my ears.

EDIT: Up to Serpent Is Rising. The bass is there. Sounds like the recordings for I and II didn't have a ton so they didn't goose it on this mastering.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Looks like I'm buying Cornerstone again.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Return to Styx