Reach For The Bottle

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Reach For The Bottle

Postby Boomchild » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:12 am

Monker wrote:That is just ridiculous. It doesn't make any difference if Styx uses outside writers or not. It has nothing to do with ego. Their songwriting abilities have been repeatedly proven for DECADES. They have no need to prove anything...especially to appease a few critics on the internet.

No, but you fed the troll.

Personally, I would agree that they have proven that they are strong song writers in their own right. As I said, I wasn't the one suggesting that they need outside help. It doesn't really matter to me at this point since I have no interest in listening to the current output from Styx. My initial comment was to say it's got to hurt when a fan thinks you don't have it any longer to put out solid material on your own that they will want to listen to. As far as your troll comment, it's not surprising. A troll to you is anyone who does not share your point of view. Carry on.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:09 pm

[quote="Monker"][quote="Boomchild"][quote="masque"]
and if you listen to his solo albums, he pretty much didn't have any songs that sounded like babe or first time.....lonely school wasn't far from that kind of sound but those kinds of songs for him were very few and far between, where he feared they were becoming the norm for dennis and the singles that would be released.

just because tommy wanted to "rock" doesnt mean he wanted to join Pantera.......different people have different definitions of "rock".[/quote]

Perhaps you do not recollect "Little Girl World". As far as the "rock" thing, I don't think anyone commenting on this statement was thinking of material in the style of Pantera.[/quote]

You honestly think "Little Girl World" sounds like "Babe"?

I agree with Masque....and I'll add that I have always thought that Tommy was tired of feeling controlled....and that is what was meant by "I just want to rock", more than the style of music.[/quote]

The BIGGEST difference between 'Babe' and 'Little Girl World' is that Babe is actually a very very good song.

'Young girl says no to her fumbling (or bumbling) beau' Lyrics don't get much worse than that. ' All I wanna do is rock, I had so much angst built up' TS , and then he comes out with this dribble.

I actually LOVE the Girls With Guns album and even Lonely School had a little bite for a ballad but 'Little Girl World' was pure bubble gum in the flavor of cotton candy. It was a cringe worthy song coming from the guy who stated how bad he wanted to rock.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Cassie May » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:03 am

Ah, geez, enough of this "I want to rock" crap!

The thing is, TS is able to write and play many different genres of music. He was the melody man in between DDY and JY, which DDY has said in interviews. I think TS made that comment at that time because he feared Styx would become a lite, pop-oriented band. Simple as that. To charge and sentence him for the rest of his life for a single comment, and to continually use it as ammunition, is absurd.

For the record, and I've said this before, Little Girl World was originally written for the Breakfast Club soundtrack. However, John Hughes decided to capitalize on the burgeoning New Wave movement in music, and went that way instead. So TS stuck it on GWG.

Side note on Lonely School: I have on cassette an interview TS did with Jim Ladd for his radio program Innerview in which Tommy discussed GWG track by track. Lonely School was originally inspired by a book he'd read about a guy who had killed his entire family. Tommy felt the melody of the song was too pretty for such a dark subject, so he rewrote the song.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby yogi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:14 am

Didn't know that about Little Girl World or Lonely School.

Trying to figure out how Little Girl World would of fit in the movie?? Molly and Judd??? Did Bender fumble??
' Claire's a fat girls name' CLASSIC!!!!!!!

Girls with Guns was a GREAT GREAT album!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:09 am

Cassie May wrote:Ah, geez, enough of this "I want to rock" crap!

The thing is, TS is able to write and play many different genres of music. He was the melody man in between DDY and JY, which DDY has said in interviews. I think TS made that comment at that time because he feared Styx would become a lite, pop-oriented band. Simple as that. To charge and sentence him for the rest of his life for a single comment, and to continually use it as ammunition, is absurd.

Absurd I think not. Especially when he is putting the types of songs that he wanted to avoid in Styx on his VERY FIRST solo album. I don't think it much matters what for or why LGW was written, he put it on the album.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:27 am

Boomchild wrote:
Monker wrote:That is just ridiculous. It doesn't make any difference if Styx uses outside writers or not. It has nothing to do with ego. Their songwriting abilities have been repeatedly proven for DECADES. They have no need to prove anything...especially to appease a few critics on the internet.

No, but you fed the troll.

Personally, I would agree that they have proven that they are strong song writers in their own right. As I said, I wasn't the one suggesting that they need outside help. It doesn't really matter to me at this point since I have no interest in listening to the current output from Styx.

Of course it matters to you or you wouldn't keep commenting on it.

As far as your troll comment, it's not surprising. A troll to you is anyone who does not share your point of view. Carry on.

No, a troll is somebody who makes a post fishing for a reaction and not to contribute to the discussion in any productive way . That is what that original comment was about. You bit the bait and fed the troll.
Monker
MP3

Postby yogi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:48 am

Actually a TROLL is some sort of a mythical cave dwelling creature kind of like a giant dwarf of some sort.

If we are getting into the internet aspect of a TROLL that is usually someone who starts arguments or tries to upset people by posting extraneous or off topic messages.

The shoe fits OFTEN here. Kind of makes it fun!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:02 am

yogi wrote:Actually a TROLL is some sort of a mythical cave dwelling creature kind of like a giant dwarf of some sort.

If we are getting into the internet aspect of a TROLL that is usually someone who starts arguments or tries to upset people by posting extraneous or off topic messages.

You're wrong. A 'troll' in the 'internet' sense refers to a fishing term....you pull a bait behind a moving boat and simply wait for a fish to bite. That is exactly what an internet troll does...they dangle their bait out there and sit back and wait for a fish like Boomchild to bite.
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:11 am

Monker wrote:
yogi wrote:Actually a TROLL is some sort of a mythical cave dwelling creature kind of like a giant dwarf of some sort.

You're wrong. A 'troll' in the 'internet' sense refers to a fishing term....you pull a bait behind a moving boat and simply wait for a fish to bite. That is exactly what an internet troll does...they dangle their bait out there and sit back and wait for a fish like Boomchild to bite.

Wow, after looking a bit on Google, most commentators have FORGOTTEN what an Internet Troll truly is.

Here is a good article on it:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... rnet-troll

"Trolls aren't necessarily any more pleasant than haters, but their agenda is different – they don't just want to insult a particular person, they want to start a fight – hopefully one that has a broader application, and brings in more people than just the object of their original trolling. The term derives from a fishing technique – say your stupid thing, watch the world bite."
Monker
MP3

Previous

Return to Styx