TO- DREAM THEATER TO SAN ANTONIO

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

TO- DREAM THEATER TO SAN ANTONIO

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:27 am

FINALLY!!!!

Saw their Dramatic Turn of Events tour twice in Dallas they FINALLY get close enough to see again.

Cant wait to see their Astonishing Rock Opera.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: TO- DREAM THEATER TO SAN ANTONIO

Postby Archetype » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:49 am

Whenever I think of San Antonio, I think of one place: J Prime steakhouse on North 1604. That place is so good it's a temple of indulgence.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:06 am

They rerecorded Our New World from Astonishing with Lizzy Hale and released it as a single. Pretty solid. One of the best songs on the album, originally. Her vocals on this really give it depth. Very good.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby yogi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:04 am

Ya I like it too. Hallestorm and Lzzy are very good. Moderen day Pat Benetar. She has the pipes.

My son and I are seeing them 4th row Pit in San Antonio Nov 9. I may also go that Sunday in Dallas.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby yogi » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:22 am

My son and I are heading there tomorrow am. 5.5 hour trip 4th row and I'm stoked.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:18 am

How was it?

I'm hoping they release a Blu-ray of the show at some point.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby yogi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:21 am

By FARRRRR the best concert I have ever seen.

First off the venue was the nicest theater I have ever seen ( Tobin Theatre). The sound was better then ANY venue I have ever been at, and Ive been to at least 50++ concerts in my life. James LaBrie was spot on and he truly stole the show. To say this with the WORLD class musicians that Dream Theater has is truly saying something.

The Astonishing show was spectacular. It was like nothing I had ever seen. My son went with me. He was somewhat familiar with the story line and he could follow it perfectly. He could easily tell the different characters James was singing for and understand the lyrics even without having to view the CGI story that was showing on the 5 screens in the background.

Here is the kicker, in every review I have read alot of Dream Theaters fans are disappointed that they play the song The Astonishing as their encore. They then roll the credits and the show and this great concert ends. They didn't do this last night.

The theater was almost packed( 1,600) and the crowd was stoked and on their feet yelling how much they loved Mike, John etc throughout the show. After the the song The Astonishing ended. They all exited the stage and then seconds later John Myung came back on with the opening riff for As I Am. The band then sprinted back on followed a minute or two later by James who yelled out how much they love Texas and how San Antonio was the first city that really embraced them. After hearing the spot on and best rendition of As I Am , they immediately went into The Spirit Carries On. James again left the stage and came back on for Pull Me Under.

It was by farrr the most epic concert I will ever see. That venue and how TOTALLY PERFECT they played left the entire crowd mesmerized.

My son's 14 and we share alot of the same tastes in music. He has seen and loves Muse, My Chemical Romance, Cage The Elephant, Seether, Aaron Lewis(Staind), Five Finger Death Punch and Shinedown. I've also taken him to see Styx, Journey & Rush. He was lukewarm on driving over 12 hours to San Antonio last night to see Dream Theater knowing that he had school and 6 weeks tests today.

Like me, he felt that this was far and away the best concert he has ever seen.He couldnt believe how talented every member of Dream Theater is. We got home at 4:50am and he was up at 7am.

He's texted me twice today about taking him and 2 of his friends to Dallas Sunday night to see them again. I too want to go again but it's gonna be up to the boss.

By FARRR my best concert EVER!!!! The night was PERFECT!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Awesome. Let's hope for a blu-ray of the tour soon. I'm one of the few that think Mike Mangini is an upgrade over Portnoy by far. Perfect fit.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby yogi » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:54 am

Kind of like who was better Lou Gehrig or Mickey Mantle??
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby masque » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:49 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Awesome. Let's hope for a blu-ray of the tour soon. I'm one of the few that think Mike Mangini is an upgrade over Portnoy by far. Perfect fit.

i also love Mangini and think he is a perfect fit. but I think I feel that way because Portnoy was becoming increasingly more bored with DT and was driving them towards more "cookie monster" type vocals and things that I cannot stand with heavier music. with Portnoy's "vision" out of the way it's real easy to see that those left driving the car seem to feel that DT is at it's best when they are being more melodic and dynamic with their music. and I'm on in particular that agrees with that.

i do think there will be a day when fences are mended and Portnoy comes back. I'm ok with that either way.
masque
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx