This is what you call respect for the fans...

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

This is what you call respect for the fans...

Postby willspups » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:33 am

Gary added that EXTREME is taking a break from touring until the album is completed. "I don't really wanna play another show until there's new material," he explained. "I know there'll be some festivals and some offers coming our way, but the band's determined to finish some music up for the fans. We owe it to 'em."
willspups
Radio Waves

Re: This is what you call respect for the fans...

Postby masque » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:00 am

why is that respectful? why would be respectful to play shows without new material?

I have NEVER understood this argument. For those who have a problem with bands touring without new material, then just dont go to the show if you dont want to see them without a new album.

why is it a big deal either way??? it's not like a band tours and people are forced to pay for a ticket and see them or that people go to a concert and are then surprised that the band doesnt have new material to play???? hell, 98% of paying customers dont want bands to play new material, they want the classics and they fans take beer and piss breaks when bands try to play new material.

what do I prefer? new material for sure.......as long as the new material is worthy to be made and some of it to be played live.

but my decisions to go see bands usually come down to timing and driving distance and ticket prices. not whether their singer believes "they owe it to the fans to have new material". good for gary if he truly feels that way....but it's not necessary.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:01 pm

I went to see DDY last Saturday night. The show as usual was great. The day after the show I was thinking about it and I came to a decision I thought I would never come to. Which is that show will most likely be the last time I will being going to see him. Why? Because I have had my fill of going to shows where the exact same songs are played over and over. I've had my fill of the same old same old. I'm glad that he is still out there doing what he enjoys doing but if this is what it has come to I'll save my money because I've seen it all before.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:38 am

Boomchild wrote:I went to see DDY last Saturday night. The show as usual was great. The day after the show I was thinking about it and I came to a decision I thought I would never come to. Which is that show will most likely be the last time I will being going to see him. Why? Because I have had my fill of going to shows where the exact same songs are played over and over. I've had my fill of the same old same old. I'm glad that he is still out there doing what he enjoys doing but if this is what it has come to I'll save my money because I've seen it all before.

I guess the jokes were the same too ?

Maybe go and catch a Styx show.They like to throw in a few songs they haven' t played in a while or ever before.
They like to shake things up.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:34 pm

gr8dane wrote:
Boomchild wrote:I went to see DDY last Saturday night. The show as usual was great. The day after the show I was thinking about it and I came to a decision I thought I would never come to. Which is that show will most likely be the last time I will being going to see him. Why? Because I have had my fill of going to shows where the exact same songs are played over and over. I've had my fill of the same old same old. I'm glad that he is still out there doing what he enjoys doing but if this is what it has come to I'll save my money because I've seen it all before.

I guess the jokes were the same too ?

Maybe go and catch a Styx show.They like to throw in a few songs they haven' t played in a while or ever before.
They like to shake things up.

Actually his onstage banter wasn't the usual. Which that stuff never bothered me. I should make it clear that I'm not upset with DDY. I get his position of why his set list is the way it is. But, I don't agree with him 100%. He has switched things up. He has slipped in Castle Walls, Harry's Hands and PO8. But not enough for me. It's truly sad that artists no longer can make money off of putting out albums and the fact that older artists feel discouraged to write and play new material at their shows. As far as catching a current Styx show, it's not going to happen. They don't do anything for me minus DDY. I'm not discrediting their talent, they just are no longer my cup of tea. Having said all this, as whole your going to get the same stuff here on out. It is what it is. I'm just electing not to continue to pay to hear what I have seen and heard a hundred times before. Interesting side note about DDY's show. He almost was put in the position to do a completely acoustic show. His drummer lives in Florida and due to the hurricane had to jump through some hoops to make it to the show.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:38 pm

It is sad the state the music industry is in. I love buying new music. It sux that most artists are reluctant to put out new music because they spend months writing and recording only to sell maybe 100k units. Maybe more, most likely less. I get it. Still sucks for the fans. All I know is I hope they never completely do away with CD's and go digital only.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:39 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:It is sad the state the music industry is in. I love buying new music. It sux that most artists are reluctant to put out new music because they spend months writing and recording only to sell maybe 100k units. Maybe more, most likely less. I get it. Still sucks for the fans. All I know is I hope they never completely do away with CD's and go digital only.

I to enjoy having my music on physical media but I think at some point it will become nonexistent. Also, The state of music industry is only part of the issue. The other problem is the average or casual fan. At least when your talking about older artists. Those fans seem to have zero interest in new material from older artists. They seem only interested in hearing those artists perform the stuff they know. It's sad.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:29 am

I'm going to see him in February at the Star Plaza in Merrillville, Indiana...I am hoping that he will play some rare ones (Harry's Hands would be awesome!) :D
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:10 pm

pinkfloyd1973 wrote:I'm going to see him in February at the Star Plaza in Merrillville, Indiana...I am hoping that he will play some rare ones (Harry's Hands would be awesome!) :D

I hope it happens for you. With my experience he has stuck with the staple set list. The last time he played deep cuts at a show I attended was when he was doing the "with orchestra" shows. The last four times he came to town he performed the same exact set list. Except in one instance he even cut CB from the set with nothing in it's place. Since this is the case and I seriously doubt it's going to change, I've had my fill of seeing the exact same show over and over. If you look at posts from fans on his FB page he is getting suggestions for different material. Apparently, he's not listening.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:29 pm

Since he( DDY) has a band pretty much like Styx or what Styx could ( or should do) to spice things up is go back to the Equinox, Crystal Ball or Grand Illusion Tours and start playing those exact tour songs. Do the tours over again. Do the Equinox tour for 4 or 5 months and then move on to The Crystal Ball Tour......... The Grand Illusion tour, The Main Event............

That would be pretty damn cool.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:32 am

yogi wrote:Since he( DDY) has a band pretty much like Styx or what Styx could ( or should do) to spice things up is go back to the Equinox, Crystal Ball or Grand Illusion Tours and start playing those exact tour songs. Do the tours over again. Do the Equinox tour for 4 or 5 months and then move on to The Crystal Ball Tour......... The Grand Illusion tour, The Main Event............

That idea doesn't suck.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby masque » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:09 am

yogi wrote:Since he( DDY) has a band pretty much like Styx or what Styx could ( or should do) to spice things up is go back to the Equinox, Crystal Ball or Grand Illusion Tours and start playing those exact tour songs. Do the tours over again. Do the Equinox tour for 4 or 5 months and then move on to The Crystal Ball Tour......... The Grand Illusion tour, The Main Event............

that would be awesome!
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:11 am

boom i have come to pretty much the same conclusion that you have. it's really sad. as much as I LOVE styx and even have supported the current incarnation, they played less than 1:30 hours away form me last week and I passed. I live in a rural area so having them that close would normally be a god send because I have alway shad to travel to see any show. but i'm like after 20 something times of seeing them, them with DDY and DDY on his own I think it's going to take something special that any of them doing to get me back out to see them.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:45 am

masque wrote:
boom i have come to pretty much the same conclusion that you have. it's really sad. as much as I LOVE styx and even have supported the current incarnation, they played less than 1:30 hours away form me last week and I passed. I live in a rural area so having them that close would normally be a god send because I have alway shad to travel to see any show. but i'm like after 20 something times of seeing them, them with DDY and DDY on his own I think it's going to take something special that any of them doing to get me back out to see them.

I of course share your opinion. One of the reasons I was thinking about this is that during the show my mind started to wander off what was going on. I started thinking to myself am I interested in this stuff anymore. I don't believe I am asking for much here. I'm not asking for DDY to revamp the whole show. Just put some songs in the set that he hasn't played much. I believe that there are plenty of songs that would work and people in the audience would know them.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:25 am

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:

I of course share your opinion. One of the reasons I was thinking about this is that during the show my mind started to wander off what was going on. I started thinking to myself am I interested in this stuff anymore. I don't believe I am asking for much here. I'm not asking for DDY to revamp the whole show. Just put some songs in the set that he hasn't played much. I believe that there are plenty of songs that would work and people in the audience would know them.

I agree 100%.

I'm a huge KANSAS fan and I understand that styx has more "hits" than KANSAS.....but they do have handful of "must play" songs in their set as well.....but over the years when I've seen them they have done a great job of playing stuff from all over their catalog......all of those albums sold well and whether they were all hits or not, they recognize that many fans are familiar with many of their songs that weren't hits and they play alot of them live. It's always been something I really have enjoyed about seeing multiple times over the years.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:01 am

masque wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:
I agree 100%.

I'm a huge KANSAS fan and I understand that styx has more "hits" than KANSAS.....but they do have handful of "must play" songs in their set as well.....but over the years when I've seen them they have done a great job of playing stuff from all over their catalog......all of those albums sold well and whether they were all hits or not, they recognize that many fans are familiar with many of their songs that weren't hits and they play alot of them live. It's always been something I really have enjoyed about seeing multiple times over the years.

It's something that gets you interested in going to see them. With DDY, I know I will be getting the same thing and frankly this greatly reduces my excitement and interest in going to the shows. Now it's to the extent that if nothing is going to change, I'm not taking the time and money to do so. Eventually it just becomes a old and tiring.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 pm

agreed!
masque
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx