1996 A&M Sampler

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

1996 A&M Sampler

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:41 pm

So I came across this CD sampler from A&M from June 1996. It contains "While There's Still Time" and "Little Suzie". In the credits it says: From the A&M cassette and compact disc "Greatest Hit's Part 2". While "Little Suzie" is on Greatest Hits Part 2, WTST is not on that release. It of course was released on Return to Paradise which was a CMC release and not A&M. Also it seems to me that the versions on this disc are not the versions that appeared on the albums. They sound different. Both in the mix and instrumentation. Maybe these were actually only the demo versions? I'm scratching my head on how both these songs ended up on this A&M sampler. Anybody know anything about this?
Attachments
CCI_000008.jpg
CCI_000008.jpg (50.4 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Re: 1996 A&M Sampler

Postby Hollywood » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:13 pm

That thing is super rare. While There's Still Time was recorded for GH2 and left off very late in the process A & M put it on this compilation prior to removing it from the record. They own the master so it had to be recorded for BNW. I've never heard this version. You should post it to YouTube.
"We Were Born To Be Loved'"
Hollywood
LP

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 pm

Hollywood wrote:That thing is super rare. While There's Still Time was recorded for GH2 and left off very late in the process A & M put it on this compilation prior to removing it from the record. They own the master so it had to be recorded for BNW. I've never heard this version. You should post it to YouTube.

Your right that it was on BNW not RTP. That's what happens when you have bad memory. I never knew that WTST was actually intended for GH P2. From what you are saying it was the label that decided to drop it from that album and not Dennis and\or the band? Also, am I correct that "Little Suzie" on this sampler is a different version or mix then what ended up on GH P2? As far as putting it up on YT, I think that it would end up getting tagged by their copyright system and be taken down.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:08 am

For some reason Dennis did not want it on there. Had something to do with as the songwriter he wanted complete control of the song and felt that A&M would drop the ball with it as a single. As for the other 2 songs on part 2, he was just a co-writer. They re-recorded it for BNW. In my opinion, the A&M version is better. I have heard it before but not in a long time a friend of mine had that same comp CD.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby styxfix » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Dennis was upset that A&M were not planning to promote this song as a single so that is why it was removed from the GH2 release. I used to have a few copies of this promo only sampler but I only have one left.
styxfix
Fresh Air

Postby StyxCollector » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:03 am

Actually, it got pulled after I interviewed him :)

http://styxcollector.com/intvframe.html

So I'm the cause of it.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx