Khedive
The Outpost
Mission To Mars
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: New Styx album

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Frontiers Records perhaps? Strangely I cannot find much info about this.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 pm

It is on Amazon for preorder. 6/17/17 Univeral Music

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Styx/dp/B06ZZ53ZRL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492775175&sr=8-2&keywords=styx+the+mission

Hmmm... The logo looks a bit off. Wonder if they will do this on vinyl since the artwork is clearly a turntable?
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 pm

FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Vinyl preorder on amazon.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:16 pm

FormerDJMike wrote:Frontiers Records perhaps? Strangely I cannot find much info about this.

On I-tunes they say Alpha Dog label licensed to Universal.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:53 am

HELL YA!!!

By the song titles it looks like a possible concept album.

I know that Tommy wasnt quite ready for another concept album after Paradise Theater so he half-ass went into Kilroy Was Here. Hopefully after a 30+ year break from concept albums he will be full into this one( if that's what this is).

I sure hope that this album leans toward their original progressive roots!

Finally, I still believe that the release date will be pushed back to 7/7/17. Ya gotta go with the KARMA!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ztyxlynne » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:25 am

From what I have been reading yes its a concept album. it also has a lot of outside songwriting credits I guess which should be interesting. I wonder who produced it???
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Toph » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:44 am

What a freaking hypocrite Tommy Shaw is! The guy who couldn't stand concept albums and left the band as a result of it now decides to do a concept album? What a joke.

And speaking of jokes, what a sophomoric effort...."Gone, Gone, Gone." How about "Went, Went' Went" - as in went to the dumpster.... what a load of crap.

IT SUCKS! But what would you expect out of these guys. Looking forward to Dennis DeYoung's new album which will blow this pile of steaming dog manure away.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:49 am

Indeed, THE MISSION is an aurally adventurous 43-minute thrill ride that chronicles the trials, tribulations, and ultimate triumphs of the first manned mission to Mars in the year 2033. From the hopeful drive of “Gone Gone Gone” to the stargazing machinations of “Locomotive” to the rough-riding blaze of glory that permeates the hard-charging “Red Storm” to the elegiac optimism of the closing track “Mission to Mars,” the album succeeds in delivering the greater good from a band that continues to fire on all cylinders, 45 years after signing its first recording contract.

In fact, THE MISSION--which was recorded over a two-year period at Blackbird Studios, The Shop, and 6 Studio Amontillado in Nashville--displays the best aspects of the ongoing in-harmony musical intersection of the six-man STYX team: the aforementioned guitarist/vocalist Tommy Shaw, co-founding guitarist/vocalist James “JY” Young, keyboardist/vocalist Lawrence Gowan, original bassist Chuck Panozzo, drummer/percussionist Todd Sucherman, and bassist Ricky Phillips.

The new music was created to reflect the viewpoint of the six-person crew enlisted for the maiden voyage of Khedive, the first entry in a new fleet of nuclear-powered interplanetary spacecraft underwritten by the Global Space Exploration Program (or GSEP, for short). The Khedive team consists of The Pilot, a fully hands-on, seat-of-the-pants born leader; a First Officer who serves as the team’s big-brother figure; an Engineer who is skeptical of every phase of the mission but remains confident in his own abilities to make the best of any technical situation; and a Top-Shelf Trio of science, astrophysics, and survivalist experts.

“The album feels simultaneously comfortable and new,” observes Gowan. “It’s both entertaining and charming, and a natural progression of our sound.” Concludes Panozzo, “THE MISSION is a sincere and honest representation of how STYX built upon where we were in the 20th century in order to go somewhere new in the 21st century.” And that’s the gist of THE MISSION, STYX’s bold sonic voyage into an exciting new frontier with the goal of discovering how the universe’s mysteries unfold—and then creating the perfect soundtrack to accompany it.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby yogi » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:22 am

[quote="FormerDJMike"]Indeed, THE MISSION is an aurally adventurous 43-minute thrill ride that chronicles the trials, tribulations, and ultimate triumphs of the first manned mission to Mars in the year 2033. From the hopeful drive of “Gone Gone Gone” to the stargazing machinations of “Locomotive” to the rough-riding blaze of glory that permeates the hard-charging “Red Storm” to the elegiac optimism of the closing track “Mission to Mars,” the album succeeds in delivering the greater good from a band that continues to fire on all cylinders, 45 years after signing its first recording contract.

In fact, THE MISSION--which was recorded over a two-year period at Blackbird Studios, The Shop, and 6 Studio Amontillado in Nashville--displays the best aspects of the ongoing in-harmony musical intersection of the six-man STYX team: the aforementioned guitarist/vocalist Tommy Shaw, co-founding guitarist/vocalist James “JY” Young, keyboardist/vocalist Lawrence Gowan, original bassist Chuck Panozzo, drummer/percussionist Todd Sucherman, and bassist Ricky Phillips.

The new music was created to reflect the viewpoint of the six-person crew enlisted for the maiden voyage of Khedive, the first entry in a new fleet of nuclear-powered interplanetary spacecraft underwritten by the Global Space Exploration Program (or GSEP, for short). The Khedive team consists of The Pilot, a fully hands-on, seat-of-the-pants born leader; a First Officer who serves as the team’s big-brother figure; an Engineer who is skeptical of every phase of the mission but remains confident in his own abilities to make the best of any technical situation; and a Top-Shelf Trio of science, astrophysics, and survivalist experts.

“The album feels simultaneously comfortable and new,” observes Gowan. “It’s both entertaining and charming, and a natural progression of our sound.” Concludes Panozzo, “THE MISSION is a sincere and honest representation of how STYX built upon where we were in the 20th century in order to go somewhere new in the 21st century.” And that’s the gist of THE MISSION, STYX’s bold sonic voyage into an exciting new frontier with the goal of discovering how the universe’s mysteries unfold—and then creating the perfect soundtrack to accompany it.[/quote]

Have you heard it already?

I cant wait!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:24 am

Nope, that's from a press release.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:31 am

"THE MISSION is a deep, conceptual, and cinematic epic that offers listeners a thrilling emotional journey — and all 'cast' with impassioned guitar parts and those textured, 'chill-inducing' Styx vocals. Guitarists Tommy Shaw and James Young sound like they're energetic upstarts with something to prove, rather than members of a band with decades of history. This is a truly brilliant soundscape, as well as a tribute to the evocative power of the guitar." — Michael Molenda, Editor-in-Chief, Guitar Player

"A throwback to the styles of classic Styx records like THE GRAND ILLUSION and PIECES OF EIGHT, THE MISSION is a wonderful mix of knotty, '70s-era progressive rock madness alongside the melodic power pop the band does so well. Todd Sucherman might be the baby of the group, but he's an old soul when it comes to finding the right flavor for the new material—and he's not shy to provide a healthy slab of blazing hand technique, elevating parts to a whole other level of excitement." -- Ilya Stemkovsky, Modern Drummer

"Styx have really delivered a welcome addition to their catalog with the arrival of THE MISSION, which wraps in all of the important elements of their much loved classic sound, with a wealth of big hooks, anthemic choruses and most importantly, an album's worth of really good Styx music." --Matt Wardlaw, UltimateClassicRock.com
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:18 am

That new song "Gone Gone Gone"?

If that is "The Mission" then the mission is to suck.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Toph » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 am

Look at the ultimate classic rock interview.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tommy-sh ... view-2017/
Tommy is clearly still on drugs. He loves to glorify them. Every addict that I've known and every treatment program that I am familiar with NEVER tells you to glorify your usage. Tommy does it every chance he gets. What a loser. Go smoke another bowl.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Interesting that this is a concept album. Even more is that it appears that TS spearhead the idea of it being a concept album. Especially with all their past talk of not liking the concept album format and just wanting to do straight ahead rock albums. In the interview with TS about the making of it he points out that they wanted to keep it a "secret" so as not to effect the project. Somehow I doubt there would have been that many people paying attention to effect anything at all.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:37 pm

https://youtu.be/IBj1KHVmpcg

How could this band know this song when no one has heard it?
Last edited by ChicagoSTYX on Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:53 pm

I see Ddy posted on Facebook today that he will now make another solo album. All the usual suspects ( styx haters) should just look forward to that and leave the Mission alone, my god, you haven't even heard it and you're trashing it. No one is making you listen to it.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 pm

And, where the hell is Froy??
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I think the fact that Styx kept this a secret was because they didn't want DDY also making an album at the same time. Kind of interesting how JY kept saying that making a new album doesn't make any sense anymore, and then poof they make a new album.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:24 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:https://youtu.be/IBj1KHVmpcg

How could this band know this song when no one has reared it?

So let me get this straight, a Styx tribute band is playing a track from an album that hasn't been released yet? Something tells me that if this is true, JY is not going to be happy about it. Has Styx played this song live at one of their shows already?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby LtVanish » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:26 pm

According to Amazon it will be released on Vinyl. Also

Copyright: ℗© 2017 Alpha Dog 2T, Inc. under exclusive license to Universal Music Enterprises, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.

Looks like they are back with Universal for this album.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:30 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:I see Ddy posted on Facebook today that he will now make another solo album. All the usual suspects ( styx haters) should just look forward to that and leave the Mission alone, my god, you haven't even heard it and you're trashing it. No one is making you listen to it.

If your referring to the post I saw on his FB page, it's a little vague on what he is doing. He mentions that he will give new music his all. Maybe I missed something but I haven't heard him announce that he is releasing a new album. When he released the Live from LA DVD, he mentioned that the label offered him a deal for an album of new material. At the time he seemed to be on the fence about doing it. That was the last time I heard him talk specifics about another album.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:31 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:I see Ddy posted on Facebook today that he will now make another solo album. All the usual suspects ( styx haters) should just look forward to that and leave the Mission alone, my god, you haven't even heard it and you're trashing it. No one is making you listen to it.

I can understand what Tommy is saying in that interview. If they were as open about this as they were BNW, for example, I could see a lot of people critiquing doing a concept album...and not only that but a scifi epic concept album. I looked at that song title list and I didn't believe it when it was first posted. That's why I ignored it :) Then going backwards to GI and PoE instead of forward thinking like Cyclorama was. That could also be critiqued to death. So, Tommy not wanting all of that negative influence on the creativity makes a lot of sense to me. This was obviously an ambitious project...and I'm looking forward to hearing the full album.

One thing is for certain, all of you people who said the creativity, or the desire to create new music, was dead in this band -
you were dead wrong and in a big way.

And, I love how Gowan sounds on "Gone, Gone, Gone".
Monker
MP3

Postby Monker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Gone, gone, gone official video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1gVIBKZ6cg
Monker
MP3

Postby gr8dane » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:And, where the hell is Froy??

Froy wasn't feeling too good after a 12 egg omelette.He felt worse after the 2nd one.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby FormerDJMike » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:42 am

Boomchild wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:https://youtu.be/IBj1KHVmpcg

How could this band know this song when no one has reared it?

So let me get this straight, a Styx tribute band is playing a track from an album that hasn't been released yet? Something tells me that if this is true, JY is not going to be happy about it. Has Styx played this song live at one of their shows already?

From what I understand they have been playing that song for a while now in concert.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:34 am

ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby masque » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:51 am

The song is really cool! Kudos to the guys for it. The chorus has a old wooden nickel days sound.

As for tommy saying he didn't like concept albums I think what he actually said was that after PT he didn't want to do another at that time. So after 35 years I think it's fine if he wants to do one now.

Overall I love concept albums so I'm hoping that this one does the trick!!!! Very much looking forward to it.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 am

Odd choice for a first single. A track barely over 2 minutes. I realize that the Overture is technically part of it, but then should've included it. Anyway I'm not surprised that it's a concept album at all. Cyclorama is at least heavily themed as well as is BNW. I am happy to read about the progressive tendencies noted. Looking forward to it.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Next

Return to Styx