Radio Silence

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Radio Silence

Postby RumTumJM » Sat May 20, 2017 1:37 am

Looks like Radio Silence is available for purchase on Amazon.com. (Not sure about any other places.)

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Styx/dp/B06ZZ53ZRL
User avatar
RumTumJM
45 RPM
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Radio Silence

Postby RumTumJM » Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 am

Last edited by RumTumJM on Sat May 20, 2017 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
RumTumJM
45 RPM
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Radio Silence

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat May 20, 2017 1:41 am

RumTumJM wrote:Looks like Radio Silence is available for purchase on Amazon.com. (Not sure about any other places.)

https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Styx/dp/B06ZZ53ZRL


iTunes and pretty mush everywhere else.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat May 20, 2017 4:22 am

About time for the second single. I bought it on iTunes. 4 weeks till the albums' release. Looking forward to it.
BVB
User avatar
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm
Location: The Grove of Eglantine

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Toph » Sun May 21, 2017 12:33 pm

Baron Von Bielski wrote:About time for the second single. I bought it on iTunes. 4 weeks till the albums' release. Looking forward to it.



You're kidding, right? They are releasing the second single much quicker than normal. Shows that "Gone Gone Gone" flopped (big surprised) and now they are panicking to try to get airplay for something. Doubt this one does any better. Joke.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Radio Silence

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sun May 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Toph wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:About time for the second single. I bought it on iTunes. 4 weeks till the albums' release. Looking forward to it.



You're kidding, right? They are releasing the second single much quicker than normal. Shows that "Gone Gone Gone" flopped (big surprised) and now they are panicking to try to get airplay for something. Doubt this one does any better. Joke.


This is how things are done now. (This isn't 1978) Look at the new album by Roger Waters, Buckingham/McVie, Cheap Trick, or even Katy Perry. They are all releasing 2 or 3 songs before the album comes out. What do you think of Radio Silence? Do you like it?
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Cassie May » Mon May 22, 2017 2:20 am

Toph wrote:
You're kidding, right? They are releasing the second single much quicker than normal. Shows that "Gone Gone Gone" flopped (big surprised) and now they are panicking to try to get airplay for something. Doubt this one does any better. Joke.


Do you even know how to say anything positive about anything, Negative Nancy?
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
User avatar
Cassie May
45 RPM
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am
Location: North, South, East, or West of you.

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Archetype » Mon May 22, 2017 2:45 am

Based off of what has been released so far, I'm almost ready to say that this album will be better than Cyclorama, which I enjoyed too.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Radio Silence

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Mon May 22, 2017 3:06 am

Archetype wrote:Based off of what has been released so far, I'm almost ready to say that this album will be better than Cyclorama, which I enjoyed too.


I willing to bet it will also be better then Cornerstone, Paradise Theater, and Kilroy.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon May 22, 2017 7:05 am

You know you can ignore trolls on this forum right? It's easy I have all the trolls on ignore. If everyone does it the trolls will go away.
User avatar
FormerDJMike
8 Track
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Somewhere In America

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Cassie May » Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 am

FormerDJMike wrote:You know you can ignore trolls on this forum right? It's easy I have all the trolls on ignore. If everyone does it the trolls will go away.


Oh, I know I can ignore, but sometimes it's fun to poke.

As for Radio Silence, I definitely hear bits of Man in the Wilderness there. I like the song, but it doesn't really hook me like Gone Gone Gone does. I'm looking forward to hearing the album in its entirety.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
User avatar
Cassie May
45 RPM
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am
Location: North, South, East, or West of you.

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Toph » Wed May 24, 2017 3:40 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
Toph wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:About time for the second single. I bought it on iTunes. 4 weeks till the albums' release. Looking forward to it.



You're kidding, right? They are releasing the second single much quicker than normal. Shows that "Gone Gone Gone" flopped (big surprised) and now they are panicking to try to get airplay for something. Doubt this one does any better. Joke.


This is how things are done now. (This isn't 1978) Look at the new album by Roger Waters, Buckingham/McVie, Cheap Trick, or even Katy Perry. They are all releasing 2 or 3 songs before the album comes out. What do you think of Radio Silence? Do you like it?


Not sure, but most acts still release a single, ride it out and then release the next one. But we'll see. I'm not sure what their strategy is for airplay at this point, but neither of those songs really can find a home anywhere on current radio. Not sure if there is a more traditional ballad on the album that they could try to run up at Adult Contemporary, but even that is going to be a stretch. In all honesty, if they wanted to get airplay, they should align with a movie or a TV commercial (I know that is "selling out" but you have to do what you have to do).

On Radio Silence, I've listened to it 10-12 times now. I like what they are trying to do. In other words, I love Tommy back on acoustic guitar. In my mind, that is his strength. The problem that I have with Radio Silence is wondering where are the hooks? The chorus is a repeating of one - two notes and their isn't a really compelling bridge to the chorus. Usually after listening to a song 8-10 times, I get it going through my head. This one just doesn't have the hook IMO. In fact, I'd say Gone Gone Gone is more "hooky" than Radio Silence.

Like I said, i appreciate what they are trying to do. And this has some shades of Man In the Wilderness in it, but neither the verse or the chorus is anywhere close to the catchiness of MITW.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Toph » Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 am

Cassie May wrote:
FormerDJMike wrote:You know you can ignore trolls on this forum right? It's easy I have all the trolls on ignore. If everyone does it the trolls will go away.


Oh, I know I can ignore, but sometimes it's fun to poke.

As for Radio Silence, I definitely hear bits of Man in the Wilderness there. I like the song, but it doesn't really hook me like Gone Gone Gone does. I'm looking forward to hearing the album in its entirety.


Cassie May, for once I agree with you. See my post that I just wrote.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Toph » Wed May 24, 2017 3:41 am

FormerDJMike wrote:You know you can ignore trolls on this forum right? It's easy I have all the trolls on ignore. If everyone does it the trolls will go away.


Snowflake
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Toph » Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
Archetype wrote:Based off of what has been released so far, I'm almost ready to say that this album will be better than Cyclorama, which I enjoyed too.


I willing to bet it will also be better then Cornerstone, Paradise Theater, and Kilroy.


Ha! You're insane, right? That just shows blatant bias. Paradise Theater by most critics is right up there with Grand Illusion as their best album ever. You're just falling for the revision history that JY and Shaw are trying to put out there that says that PT is crap. The reason that they hate it? Its a DDY album through and through. Forget that its their only album to hit #1. Forget it is their second highest selling album of all time. Forget the fact that it landed 2 Top 10 Pop Single and 1 Top 10 Rock Single (RTP).
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Toph » Wed May 24, 2017 3:44 am

Archetype wrote:Based off of what has been released so far, I'm almost ready to say that this album will be better than Cyclorama, which I enjoyed too.


Don't set the bar too high..... :roll:
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Radio Silence

Postby yogi » Wed May 24, 2017 4:08 am

DONT GO AWAY MAD

Someone please finish this Motley Crue song
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Cassie May » Wed May 24, 2017 4:30 am

Toph wrote:
Cassie May wrote:
FormerDJMike wrote:You know you can ignore trolls on this forum right? It's easy I have all the trolls on ignore. If everyone does it the trolls will go away.


Oh, I know I can ignore, but sometimes it's fun to poke.

As for Radio Silence, I definitely hear bits of Man in the Wilderness there. I like the song, but it doesn't really hook me like Gone Gone Gone does. I'm looking forward to hearing the album in its entirety.


Cassie May, for once I agree with you. See my post that I just wrote.


Yes! You said better what I was trying to say in my post. There really is no catchy hook to the song to grab your attention and become an ear worm. I think it's kind of an odd choice for a single, actually. Gone Gone Gone is high energy and grabs your attention, but it's over too quickly.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
User avatar
Cassie May
45 RPM
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am
Location: North, South, East, or West of you.

Re: Radio Silence

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed May 24, 2017 4:49 am

Toph wrote:
Not sure, but most acts still release a single, ride it out and then release the next one. But we'll see. I'm not sure what their strategy is for airplay at this point, but neither of those songs really can find a home anywhere on current radio. Not sure if there is a more traditional ballad on the album that they could try to run up at Adult Contemporary, but even that is going to be a stretch. In all honesty, if they wanted to get airplay, they should align with a movie or a TV commercial (I know that is "selling out" but you have to do what you have to do).

On Radio Silence, I've listened to it 10-12 times now. I like what they are trying to do. In other words, I love Tommy back on acoustic guitar. In my mind, that is his strength. The problem that I have with Radio Silence is wondering where are the hooks? The chorus is a repeating of one - two notes and their isn't a really compelling bridge to the chorus. Usually after listening to a song 8-10 times, I get it going through my head. This one just doesn't have the hook IMO. In fact, I'd say Gone Gone Gone is more "hooky" than Radio Silence.

Like I said, i appreciate what they are trying to do. And this has some shades of Man In the Wilderness in it, but neither the verse or the chorus is anywhere close to the catchiness of MITW.


I agree on the hooks but I really like the retro feel to the song. I definitely see a turn toward the direction of Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight. I think it will fit into the album well based on the reviews I have read of the full album. We'll see soon.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed May 24, 2017 5:00 am

Toph wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:
Archetype wrote:Based off of what has been released so far, I'm almost ready to say that this album will be better than Cyclorama, which I enjoyed too.


I willing to bet it will also be better then Cornerstone, Paradise Theater, and Kilroy.


Ha! You're insane, right? That just shows blatant bias. Paradise Theater by most critics is right up there with Grand Illusion as their best album ever. You're just falling for the revision history that JY and Shaw are trying to put out there that says that PT is crap. The reason that they hate it? Its a DDY album through and through. Forget that its their only album to hit #1. Forget it is their second highest selling album of all time. Forget the fact that it landed 2 Top 10 Pop Single and 1 Top 10 Rock Single (RTP).


Maybe I should rephrase that, I think The Mission will be more to my overall liking then the other albums I mentioned. There are several songs on all 3 of those albums that I skip whenever I play them. (most of the songs with horns) I don't skip any on Grand Illusion or Pieces of Eight...or Equinox. I know those albums were very successful, and that's great but I think I could make one really good album by selecting songs from all 3.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby RumTumJM » Wed May 24, 2017 11:21 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
Toph wrote:
Not sure, but most acts still release a single, ride it out and then release the next one. But we'll see. I'm not sure what their strategy is for airplay at this point, but neither of those songs really can find a home anywhere on current radio. Not sure if there is a more traditional ballad on the album that they could try to run up at Adult Contemporary, but even that is going to be a stretch. In all honesty, if they wanted to get airplay, they should align with a movie or a TV commercial (I know that is "selling out" but you have to do what you have to do).

On Radio Silence, I've listened to it 10-12 times now. I like what they are trying to do. In other words, I love Tommy back on acoustic guitar. In my mind, that is his strength. The problem that I have with Radio Silence is wondering where are the hooks? The chorus is a repeating of one - two notes and their isn't a really compelling bridge to the chorus. Usually after listening to a song 8-10 times, I get it going through my head. This one just doesn't have the hook IMO. In fact, I'd say Gone Gone Gone is more "hooky" than Radio Silence.

Like I said, i appreciate what they are trying to do. And this has some shades of Man In the Wilderness in it, but neither the verse or the chorus is anywhere close to the catchiness of MITW.


I agree on the hooks but I really like the retro feel to the song. I definitely see a turn toward the direction of Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight. I think it will fit into the album well based on the reviews I have read of the full album. We'll see soon.


I don't know! The chorus has definitely been stuck in my head. Maybe it could be a catchier/more effective hook, but it's definitely one, in my opinion.
User avatar
RumTumJM
45 RPM
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 am

Toph wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:About time for the second single. I bought it on iTunes. 4 weeks till the albums' release. Looking forward to it.



You're kidding, right? They are releasing the second single much quicker than normal. Shows that "Gone Gone Gone" flopped (big surprised) and now they are panicking to try to get airplay for something. Doubt this one does any better. Joke.


Dude this isn't 1983. Bands don't release singles every 3-4 months anymore. Especially bands that have been around awhile that maybe don't chart singles on the pop charts. A lot of times 3 maybe 4 songs are released before the album comes out. The Buckingham McVie album coming out June 9th has released 3 already. That's more the norm these days. So no, I wasn't joking.
BVB
User avatar
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm
Location: The Grove of Eglantine

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Abitaman » Thu May 25, 2017 4:06 am

I liked Gone, Gone, Gone, better than the new song.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4580
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Re: Radio Silence

Postby yogi » Thu May 25, 2017 5:09 am

I like Radio Silence much better.

Gone Gone Gone is tooooooo Short Short Short
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: Radio Silence/ concept albums, rant, etc.

Postby brywool » Thu May 25, 2017 5:53 am

I agree. Prefer "Gone Gone Gone".

Not really sure how these are "singles". They're really more 'advanced tracks', right? I get tired of people saying 'well, their last single flopped!' or whatever. MOST singles these days DO flop and it's a GUARANTEED flop if the artist has no major label behind them, no video getting airplay, and are over the age of 25. Get over it. It's a different time. Doesn't mean that things aren't still cool to listen to. I would almost rather see us go back to vinyl so that there COULD be real singles and real album covers, and real sales. Mp3s don't sound as good and aren't as easy or fun to collect. Plus, they're easy to lose (which drive is that on??).

"Radio Silence" .... I'm just not sure how people will relate to "Radio Silence" and the whole "Mars concept" without knowing the concept behind the song and album. Apparently JY couldn't which is a sad state of affairs. I know it's about a mission to Mars and that didn't influence me to like the song any more or less, but I'm a Styx fan. I'm going to like most of their stuff regardless.

As has been seen before (Kilroy), when people don't know the concept behind a song or album that is not aimed at the masses (ie, "I Love You", "you love me", "let's Rock", "let's drink", "Let's ....") it confounds them when the songs are out of the context of the concept. "Gone Gone Gone" could've fit into the "Let's Rock" category and was therefor easier for the masses to sink their teeth into. Personally, I loved that song (it was too short). Kudos to Gowan for nailing a great vocal. I enjoy what he brings to the party and I thought his part of that track was great. Yes, "Radio Silence" does sound a LOT like "Man in the Wilderness" right down to the synth lines under the vocals in the verses. I guess, if you're going to borrow, borrow from your best. The chorus IS the hook, by the way. Just like "Man in the Wilderness" it's not really a typical "Single" for the masses. It's more an 'album cut'.

For me (and oh, God, 'somebody here' is gonna flip out) 'Cyclorama' is tough to beat. The production and sound on that album was excellent to my ears. Also, I'm curious what "The Mission" will sound like without Burtnik. He was a big part of Cyclo for me. Wish he coulda been happy in that band. It's odd for me to see Tommy's solo cohort listed in the song credits. Tommy, Gowan, and JY (working together) could not come up with substantial tunes on their own? I always get antsy when my favorite bands bring in outside writers. Why? Styx has not had an original album out in years and we had to turn to an outside source? Unfortunately, that kind of helps illustrate some naysayer's points that, possibly, the band's best days could be behind them. If you don't exercise that part of the brain where songwriting is done, I'm sure it atrophies. I hope that's not the case with these guys as I enjoy all incarnations of the band.

I hope The Mission does well. I hope that it keeps them working on NEW music. I would think that playing the same stuff over and over again live would get very old. In fact, I know it does.
User avatar
brywool
Digital Audio Tape
 
Posts: 7560
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:54 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Tue May 30, 2017 10:46 pm

STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby masque » Tue May 30, 2017 11:38 pm

so far I have really liked the new songs. but i dont really ever try comparing them to their glory days, because those are a set of songs that are so ingrained in my psyche that almost nothing new could ever live up to the emotional ties I have to the stuff I grew up on and have heard hundreds or even more than a thousand times in my lifetime.

i'm just glad that it appears that the new songs seem to indicate that the album as a whole may be a worthy listen and something I can put into regular rotation for a while or forever.


same with the latest kansas album and I also have hopes that the new roger waters album is worthy.....what i've heard so far has been real good.
masque
8 Track
 
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby masque » Tue May 30, 2017 11:41 pm

Toph wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:About time for the second single. I bought it on iTunes. 4 weeks till the albums' release. Looking forward to it.



You're kidding, right? They are releasing the second single much quicker than normal. Shows that "Gone Gone Gone" flopped (big surprised) and now they are panicking to try to get airplay for something. Doubt this one does any better. Joke.


hey topher, quick question. for years you have flamed them for living on their past and not creating new music.....now it sounds like them creating new music is a "joke" to you. so other than making up with DDY and getting the band back together what exactly is it you want from them?

whether the album is good or not, it appears they have been willing to go back and try to create something new.....some fans will love it, some will hate it, as with almost any release. but your reaction is confusing based on how much you used to criticize them for NOT creating new music.....what gives?
masque
8 Track
 
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:12 pm

There will be a video for Radio Silence Very soon!
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Radio Silence

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:50 am

masque wrote:
Toph wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:About time for the second single. I bought it on iTunes. 4 weeks till the albums' release. Looking forward to it.



You're kidding, right? They are releasing the second single much quicker than normal. Shows that "Gone Gone Gone" flopped (big surprised) and now they are panicking to try to get airplay for something. Doubt this one does any better. Joke.


hey topher, quick question. for years you have flamed them for living on their past and not creating new music.....now it sounds like them creating new music is a "joke" to you. so other than making up with DDY and getting the band back together what exactly is it you want from them?

whether the album is good or not, it appears they have been willing to go back and try to create something new.....some fans will love it, some will hate it, as with almost any release. but your reaction is confusing based on how much you used to criticize them for NOT creating new music.....what gives?


To answer your question, I like to call them out on the colossal bullshit that they spew. Really, a concept album about space? With all the Kilroy slamming? They are big time hypocrites and full of shit. So what was it about Kilroy - not being able to write songs about robots? But we can write songs about space? Makes no sense at all.

To that end, I have heard the 3 songs off Mission thus far (BTW, I will not add to their sales so I will listen to the rest of the album when it ultimately winds up on YouTube etc. - because yes, I want them to fail).

On the positive side, I will say that by far and a way, the best, most catchiest song of the 3 is "Gone Gone Gone." The two from TS are disappointing. Radio Silence goes nowhere and Hundred Million Miles is way too boogie woogie and feels like it should be on a Shaw solo album.

I commend them for putting out new music - but the fact that its a concept album about the future and about space is so rich with irony its uncanny.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Next

Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests