Jimmy Leahy sings Miss America

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Jimmy Leahy sings Miss America

Postby Archetype » Mon May 29, 2017 3:43 am

And he nails it! Great performance. Dennis DeYoung's band can now out-Styx Styx.

https://youtu.be/netO6-2UW7Y
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Re: Jimmy Leahy sings Miss America

Postby LtVanish » Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 am

Wow that was great, Dennis has such a great band and they keep getting better!
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Re: Jimmy Leahy sings Miss America

Postby Boomchild » Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 am

Dennis posted the following on his FB page regarding them performing Miss America for the first time. I think it's on point.

Hey kids,

Last night at the Paradise Theater venue in Shreveport La. (believe or not) we unveiled a song I had not played in twenty years...Miss America.

I had asked the band to learn it never expecting to play it that night but with a half dozen run throughs, mostly spent on the guys reminding me what the chords were I realized we could perform it that night. And we did.

Jimmy Leahey made his lead singing debut in this band by completely knocking it out of the park. I have always been reluctant to simply let anyone perform the Styx catalogue for fear of tarnishing the reputation of its proud history. No ruining these songs for me, better to remain silent than anger you guys. Had my boy Matthew not discovered August Zadra I don't think I would have ever been inclined to do any of Tommy's songs. Same goes for the always humble Jimmy Leahey; who when mentioning Miss America said he would like to take a crack at it. The minute we started playing it I was floored. True to the original in every way and this was only our first try.

I have watched with curiosity the nasty criticism that can be awarded to those who replace lead singers in bands and it ain't pretty. Check Journey blogs if you want to see vitriol and Arnel is pretty darn good. The human voice can be difficult to replace unlike playing an instrument. A lot of cats can simulate players. No greater instrument has been invented than the human voice.

To August's credit his performance has received overwhelming support. I warned him in the beginning things could get rough but the opposite happened. I expect the same will happen for Jimmy.

Now there are no Styx songs that can't be played, although the ones we have been playing are the right ones. Trust me on that.

Congrats Jimmy. "Aren't Youuuuuuuu"
Cheers D

Here's a list of songs I have performed since 2000

GRAND ILLUSION
LADY
BEST OF TIMES
COME SAIL AWAY
BEST THING
UNFINISHED SONG
BORN FOR ADVENTURE
BORROWED TIME
LORELEI
CASTLE WALLS
MAN IN THE WILDERNESS
PIECES OF EIGHT
BACK TO CHICAGO
SHOW ME THE WAY
EDGE OF THE CENTURY
ALL IN A DAYS WORK
RENEGADE
BLUE COLLAR
TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS
ROCKIN THE PARADISE
MISS AMERICA
MADEMOISELLE
IM OK
CRYSTAL BALL
FOOLIN YOURSELF
FIRST TIME
BOAT ON THE RIVER
AD 1958
AD 1928
SUITE MADAME BLUE
PRELUDE TWELVE
LIGHT UP
THE MESSAGE-on tape

Solo tunes
DESERT MOON
100 YEARS
THIS TIME NEXT YEAR
SAVE ME
TURN OFF CNN
HARRYS HANDS
SOUTHBOUND RYAN
BLACK WALL
PLEXIGLASS TOILET(kidding)
I may have left something out I'm 70 ya know.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Return to Styx