August Zadra and Chuck Panozzo met last night

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

August Zadra and Chuck Panozzo met last night

Postby Archetype » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 am

Very cool. Chuck flew out to Pride Night at the Whiskey A Go Go where August regularly plays on jam nights. They performed Renegade. Bet they had some interesting conversations. Maybe it will help break the ice between the "leaders" of the two camps. New album, these guys jamming, Dennis talking about a new album. Great time to be a Styx fan. I actually like the two bands so much in their own rights that I almost (key word being almost) don't want a reunion, but it would be great to see more stuff like this.

"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Re: August Zadra and Chuck Panozzo met last night

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 am

Nice thanks for sharing. Isn't it Chuck that stated none of them are getting any younger? I look back to 1986. I was a freshman in high school and was pysched for 5150. I loved 5150. Played it over and over when it came out. Then "Eat 'Em & Smile" came out that summer. So it was like I had 2 Van Halen albums that summer. I liked them both equally. I never cared for the Sammy vs Dave stuff because I enjoyed them both.

I really don't think Dennis would go back but it WOULD be cool. JY has stated he has no problem performing with Dennis again:

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmentertainment/styx-on-reuniting-wdennis-deyoung

However, it seems it would have to be a democracy where everyone agrees. But I just don't see it happening.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 am

Dennis would always go back. Styx is his band.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:14 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Dennis would always go back. Styx is his band.

I would agree he would jump at the offer to do so. He has always said if it was up to him he would still be part of the band.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:26 pm

After giving it some thought I conceed. I believe you are right.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby brywool » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:39 am

RE: JY and "No problem with performing with Dennis"
Might wanna listen to the Eddie Trunk podcast. JY DEFINITELY has a problem with it and his resentment towards Dennis is apparent. Tommy's is too, though not so openly adamant. While it's cool that both camps are doing well with what they're doing, it'd be NICE if they could actually remain friendly and it'd be nice if they could perform together at such things as the RRHOF (as IF that were to ever happen).
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby ztyxlynne » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:48 am

I do remember hearing Chuck saying that they are not getting any younger and I thought he would like to perform with DDY again. What's stopping him from stopping at one of Dennis's shows for maybe one or two songs. That would be so cool since they have such a long history together.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 am

ztyxlynne wrote:I do remember hearing Chuck saying that they are not getting any younger and I thought he would like to perform with DDY again. What's stopping him from stopping at one of Dennis's shows for maybe one or two songs. That would be so cool since they have such a long history together.

He did say something to that effect. But more recently, I read where he said that Styx is "happy with the way things are now". So it seems he is not a keen on a reunion with DDY as he maybe once was.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby blt man » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 am

At the end of the day, the only reason bands reunite is for money and there is not enough money to be made with a Dennis reunion. A reunion tour would not fill arenas or stadiums (maybe in Chicago and Montreal but nowhere else) so they would continue to do the same old same old. If money is currently split 3 ways with the hired guns on salary, a reunion would have to split the money 4 ways instead. Any incremental amount they bring in because of the reunion would not be enough. e.g. $100,000 split 3 ways is $33k each. 120 split 4 ways is $30k each. Hence no incentive to reunite.

But, in any event, why would Tommy want to reunite? He has become the Dennis in this incarnation of Styx - he calls the shots. You know what was strange? Each of the hired guns in Styx (Gowan, Todd, Ricky) thanked Jeanne Shaw in the album notes of The Mission. May not mean anything (maybe hospitality when in Nashville?) but it was strange to thank the wife of your boss. If Dennis came back for a reunion, the Shaws would have to cede a bit of say to the DeYoungs. Those things get messy.
blt man
45 RPM

Postby ztyxlynne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 pm

I think all I want to see right now is maybe just Chuck sharing stage at Dennis's shows for one song
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Archetype » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:33 pm

blt man wrote:At the end of the day, the only reason bands reunite is for money and there is not enough money to be made with a Dennis reunion. A reunion tour would not fill arenas or stadiums (maybe in Chicago and Montreal but nowhere else) so they would continue to do the same old same old. If money is currently split 3 ways with the hired guns on salary, a reunion would have to split the money 4 ways instead. Any incremental amount they bring in because of the reunion would not be enough. e.g. $100,000 split 3 ways is $33k each. 120 split 4 ways is $30k each. Hence no incentive to reunite.

But, in any event, why would Tommy want to reunite? He has become the Dennis in this incarnation of Styx - he calls the shots. You know what was strange? Each of the hired guns in Styx (Gowan, Todd, Ricky) thanked Jeanne Shaw in the album notes of The Mission. May not mean anything (maybe hospitality when in Nashville?) but it was strange to thank the wife of your boss. If Dennis came back for a reunion, the Shaws would have to cede a bit of say to the DeYoungs. Those things get messy.

I think we're seeing the wife rivalry effect in Journey right now. Not pretty.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Glenn played some shows with Dennis back in the day, I think he had left Styx by then.
StyxGuy
Ol' 78

Postby Boomchild » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:33 am

StyxGuy wrote:Glenn played some shows with Dennis back in the day, I think he had left Styx by then.

A long while back he did join DDY at one or two shows in NJ. Surprising since leaving the band lets just say GB seems to express that he was somewhat embarrassed being in the band. He also lets everyone know that Styx was "not his kind of music". This may offend some GB fans but the only reason GB was in Styx is because it provided a good paycheck.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby StyxGuy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:04 am

Boomchild wrote:
StyxGuy wrote:Glenn played some shows with Dennis back in the day, I think he had left Styx by then.

A long while back he did join DDY at one or two shows in NJ. Surprising since leaving the band lets just say GB seems to express that he was somewhat embarrassed being in the band. He also lets everyone know that Styx was "not his kind of music". This may offend some GB fans but the only reason GB was in Styx is because it provided a good paycheck.

I believe he played those shows with Dennis in 2006?

Don't forget that GB also joined Dennis for A&E's "Private Sessions" in 2009 (Videos on Youtube)!

I recall reading he said something to the affect of being in Styx was like "playing rock star, because I never was one" during his first stint. I'd bet the second time was more a paycheque than anything, though I'm glad he accepted the offer to join them again.
StyxGuy
Ol' 78

Postby Boomchild » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:04 am

StyxGuy wrote:I believe he played those shows with Dennis in 2006?

Don't forget that GB also joined Dennis for A&E's "Private Sessions" in 2009 (Videos on Youtube)!

I recall reading he said something to the affect of being in Styx was like "playing rock star, because I never was one" during his first stint. I'd bet the second time was more a paycheque than anything, though I'm glad he accepted the offer to join them again.

I'm telling you that from all the accounts I have read and seen, GB makes it well known that the kind musical style Styx does is really not his thing. He also makes it clear that one of biggest factors for him being involved was due to the money they offered him to do it. I hate to burst people's bubble but I think to GB being in Styx was more about it being a good paying gig then anything else. Here is an interview. Watch how GB responds when the subject is brought up. Watch what he says, how he says it and his over all body language. I think this interview shows what GB really thinks and what was the basis of the motivation to join the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPHBCWqeCCc&t=2410s
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:55 am

i dont have any issue with Glen's participation in styx being mostly a business decision......I'm one of the people around here that constantly points out that music is a business first and foremost to these artists. and my quote is the answer to all your questions is money.

but I will say this about Glen.....my opinion is Glen is a talented guy that never achieved the level of success he probably should have on his own with his name on the marquee. Glen's most exposure and most success he got was writing songs for other artists or being a band member in a band that wasn't his, like styx. I'm sure that was and is frustrating to him, because he certainly possesses the talent to have been famous on his own based on his writing skills.....so I am sure he has alot of "what if" questions in his mind.

with all of that said, I do find it always interesting that artists seem to like to dismiss things later AFTER they weren't successful.....meaning this, if Cyclorama had sold 2 million copies then I would bet you alot of money that ole Glen would tell a different story about how he feels about being in styx. those guys obviously loved and believed in that album alot because when their summer enormo tour with journey and reo took place and they were playing to huge crowds, styx played 4 new songs in their hour long set.....that was a HUGE risk and a HUGE stand to take to say they believed in what they were doing as a band. there is no other way to look at it......they did all they could to say to fans THIS album is worthy of your attention.......and you know what, i think it IS a great album......I loved it when it came out and I still think its very enjoyable now. But what did it end of selling 50,000 copies? 100,000? 150,000? I can't remember the last number I saw on it.

So it's easy to now say, "hey, playing old styx music was never really my thing, and being in the band wasn't really a good fit"....blah blah blah.....he says that now because cyclorama didn't sell.....but if it had and as prominently as he was featured and his writing was featured on that album I promise you he would be singing a different tune now.

but I am fine with how it all turned out.....glen's involvement with styx made me aware of him and I like alot of what he has done. he's made money off of me because of his involvement of styx, regardless of how he feels about it now.....lol.
masque
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:30 am

Boomchild wrote:

I'm telling you that from all the accounts I have read and seen, GB makes it well known that the kind musical style Styx does is really not his thing. He also makes it clear that one of biggest factors for him being involved was due to the money they offered him to do it. I hate to burst people's bubble but I think to GB being in Styx was more about it being a good paying gig then anything else. Here is an interview. Watch how GB responds when the subject is brought up. Watch what he says, how he says it and his over all body language. I think this interview shows what GB really thinks and what was the basis of the motivation to join the band.

Well we know he LOVES Beatles and ELO. No worries that he just took the gig for the cash honestly. I met him at my first Styx concert with Todd... those guys hung out with me for nearly 20 minutes and were just fun and kind. I then went to meet JY at his tour bus and he was a dick to me. Autograph and photo please? "hurry up" he huffed at me.
StyxGuy
Ol' 78

Postby Toph » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:38 am

StyxGuy wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

Well we know he LOVES Beatles and ELO. No worries that he just took the gig for the cash honestly. I met him at my first Styx concert with Todd... those guys hung out with me for nearly 20 minutes and were just fun and kind. I then went to meet JY at his tour bus and he was a dick to me. Autograph and photo please? "hurry up" he huffed at me.

JY an asshole? Shocked I tell you! Completely shocked!!! :roll:
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 am

masque wrote:
So it's easy to now say, "hey, playing old styx music was never really my thing, and being in the band wasn't really a good fit"....blah blah blah.....he says that now because cyclorama didn't sell.....but if it had and as prominently as he was featured and his writing was featured on that album I promise you he would be singing a different tune now.

To be clear my comments about GB on this subject has nothing to do with GB's musical or songwriting abilities. He is a great talent in his own right. I have to disagree with the above statement. I do not believe GB's statements about Styx or being part of it has anything to do with Cyclorama's lack of success. However, I think he was somewhat miffed that KYAB was not released as a single.

GB and Styx had great success with EOC album. It got extensive airplay and garnered several TV appearances. Glen was also well featured on it. Even so, GB has said that he never was really into the music Styx did. So it wasn't about the material being old or that it was written by someone else. He is putting it in a nice way that he didn't like it. He makes it very clear because of that, the money they offered him to join was the biggest factor. After all, at that time he really did not have much going for himself. He was coming off of two albums that went nowhere. So it wasn't like he had a real interest in what Styx had or was doing. He didn't have any real desire to collaborate with DDY or JY et al.

I also remember some of his comments in Sterling's book. He said that the inner workings of the band was kind of odd. Different then other band experiences he had had. I also remember him saying even after DDY was gone things still seemed to operate in the same way. Which leads me to believe that the heavy handedness just went from being DDY to TS. While GB states that the main reason for quitting was so he could spend more time at home, I think there was more to it then that. I think that GB knew he was going to be regulated to the "back seat " with the return of TS.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 am

Toph wrote:JY an asshole? Shocked I tell you! Completely shocked!!! :roll:

I tried to pass it off as he was tired after the show, but honestly... that moment has stayed with me ever since and it felt kind of shitty. Then over the years hearing interviews with him, it made more sense... he's just kind of a prick.

I was also naive enough as a 16 year old that I had actually gone online and had Styx fans write letters to JY and Tommy about Dennis. I handed JY the envelope with about 20-30 letters, including my own and just told him it was a present to him and Tommy. I'm sure he took one look and threw it in the trash.
StyxGuy
Ol' 78

Postby Boomchild » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 am

StyxGuy wrote:Well we know he LOVES Beatles and ELO. No worries that he just took the gig for the cash honestly. I met him at my first Styx concert with Todd... those guys hung out with me for nearly 20 minutes and were just fun and kind. I then went to meet JY at his tour bus and he was a dick to me. Autograph and photo please? "hurry up" he huffed at me.

Don't get me wrong. I think GB was a good fit with the band. I enjoyed his contributions to EOC a lot. Perhaps some his feelings about being in the band would be different if things ended up differently after EOC. Being dropped by your label like a "hot rock" is not a good feeling. It certainly put the kibosh on things and killed any momentum the band mat have had.

As far as JY being a dick, I have seen that first hand. When they were on tour for BNW I went to see them. A bunch of us went early and were waiting at the stage door entrance to meet them. GB, Todd and Gowan were all really nice. They stopped to talk and sign autographs. On the other hand both JY and TS blew past everyone and acted as if nobody was there to greet them.
Last edited by Boomchild on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 am

StyxGuy wrote:I tried to pass it off as he was tired after the show, but honestly... that moment has stayed with me ever since and it felt kind of shitty. Then over the years hearing interviews with him, it made more sense... he's just kind of a prick.

I was also naive enough as a 16 year old that I had actually gone online and had Styx fans write letters to JY and Tommy about Dennis. I handed JY the envelope with about 20-30 letters, including my own and just told him it was a present to him and Tommy. I'm sure he took one look and threw it in the trash.

In my opinion, JY's ego far outpaces his actual talent. The guy really is a "one trick pony".
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 am

Boomchild wrote:
StyxGuy wrote:I tried to pass it off as he was tired after the show, but honestly... that moment has stayed with me ever since and it felt kind of shitty. Then over the years hearing interviews with him, it made more sense... he's just kind of a prick.

In my opinion, JY's ego far outpaces his actual talent. The guy really is a "one trick pony".

Just goes to show, that all you really need is one, one trick pony.
The guy with the more ponies, thought it was all about his.
And then he lost the band he was in.
So the moral of the story........... :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:39 am

gr8dane wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

Just goes to show, that all you really need is one, one trick pony.

Glad to see you've admitted that JY is a no-talent asshole.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:43 am

gr8dane wrote:Just goes to show, that all you really need is one, one trick pony.

Say what you will but we all know damn well that if it wasn't for JY being able to ride the coat tails of others, we wouldn't be discussing him right now.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 am

Funny how a post on August and Zadra,turned into a JY is an asshole post.Wonder how that came about :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Return to Styx