August Zadra and Chuck Panozzo met last night

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

August Zadra and Chuck Panozzo met last night

Postby Archetype » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:28 am

Very cool. Chuck flew out to Pride Night at the Whiskey A Go Go where August regularly plays on jam nights. They performed Renegade. Bet they had some interesting conversations. Maybe it will help break the ice between the "leaders" of the two camps. New album, these guys jamming, Dennis talking about a new album. Great time to be a Styx fan. I actually like the two bands so much in their own rights that I almost (key word being almost) don't want a reunion, but it would be great to see more stuff like this.

"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Re: August Zadra and Chuck Panozzo met last night

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:02 am

Nice thanks for sharing. Isn't it Chuck that stated none of them are getting any younger? I look back to 1986. I was a freshman in high school and was pysched for 5150. I loved 5150. Played it over and over when it came out. Then "Eat 'Em & Smile" came out that summer. So it was like I had 2 Van Halen albums that summer. I liked them both equally. I never cared for the Sammy vs Dave stuff because I enjoyed them both.

I really don't think Dennis would go back but it WOULD be cool. JY has stated he has no problem performing with Dennis again:

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmentertainment/styx-on-reuniting-wdennis-deyoung

However, it seems it would have to be a democracy where everyone agrees. But I just don't see it happening.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:57 am

Dennis would always go back. Styx is his band.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:14 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Dennis would always go back. Styx is his band.

I would agree he would jump at the offer to do so. He has always said if it was up to him he would still be part of the band.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:26 pm

After giving it some thought I conceed. I believe you are right.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby brywool » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:39 am

RE: JY and "No problem with performing with Dennis"
Might wanna listen to the Eddie Trunk podcast. JY DEFINITELY has a problem with it and his resentment towards Dennis is apparent. Tommy's is too, though not so openly adamant. While it's cool that both camps are doing well with what they're doing, it'd be NICE if they could actually remain friendly and it'd be nice if they could perform together at such things as the RRHOF (as IF that were to ever happen).
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby ztyxlynne » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:48 am

I do remember hearing Chuck saying that they are not getting any younger and I thought he would like to perform with DDY again. What's stopping him from stopping at one of Dennis's shows for maybe one or two songs. That would be so cool since they have such a long history together.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 am

ztyxlynne wrote:I do remember hearing Chuck saying that they are not getting any younger and I thought he would like to perform with DDY again. What's stopping him from stopping at one of Dennis's shows for maybe one or two songs. That would be so cool since they have such a long history together.

He did say something to that effect. But more recently, I read where he said that Styx is "happy with the way things are now". So it seems he is not a keen on a reunion with DDY as he maybe once was.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby blt man » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 am

At the end of the day, the only reason bands reunite is for money and there is not enough money to be made with a Dennis reunion. A reunion tour would not fill arenas or stadiums (maybe in Chicago and Montreal but nowhere else) so they would continue to do the same old same old. If money is currently split 3 ways with the hired guns on salary, a reunion would have to split the money 4 ways instead. Any incremental amount they bring in because of the reunion would not be enough. e.g. $100,000 split 3 ways is $33k each. 120 split 4 ways is $30k each. Hence no incentive to reunite.

But, in any event, why would Tommy want to reunite? He has become the Dennis in this incarnation of Styx - he calls the shots. You know what was strange? Each of the hired guns in Styx (Gowan, Todd, Ricky) thanked Jeanne Shaw in the album notes of The Mission. May not mean anything (maybe hospitality when in Nashville?) but it was strange to thank the wife of your boss. If Dennis came back for a reunion, the Shaws would have to cede a bit of say to the DeYoungs. Those things get messy.
blt man
45 RPM

Postby ztyxlynne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 pm

I think all I want to see right now is maybe just Chuck sharing stage at Dennis's shows for one song
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Archetype » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:33 pm

blt man wrote:At the end of the day, the only reason bands reunite is for money and there is not enough money to be made with a Dennis reunion. A reunion tour would not fill arenas or stadiums (maybe in Chicago and Montreal but nowhere else) so they would continue to do the same old same old. If money is currently split 3 ways with the hired guns on salary, a reunion would have to split the money 4 ways instead. Any incremental amount they bring in because of the reunion would not be enough. e.g. $100,000 split 3 ways is $33k each. 120 split 4 ways is $30k each. Hence no incentive to reunite.

But, in any event, why would Tommy want to reunite? He has become the Dennis in this incarnation of Styx - he calls the shots. You know what was strange? Each of the hired guns in Styx (Gowan, Todd, Ricky) thanked Jeanne Shaw in the album notes of The Mission. May not mean anything (maybe hospitality when in Nashville?) but it was strange to thank the wife of your boss. If Dennis came back for a reunion, the Shaws would have to cede a bit of say to the DeYoungs. Those things get messy.

I think we're seeing the wife rivalry effect in Journey right now. Not pretty.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx