Podcast

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Podcast

Postby Cassie May » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:22 am

Just listened to a pretty interesting interview of Styx. Eddie Trunk today posted an interview he did with Tommy, JY, and Lawrence. I tried posting a link, but was unsuccessful. If you go to iTunes and search "Eddie Trunk Podcasts", a whole list will show of his prior podcasts, including Styx. It is free to listen to, and clocks in at over an hour. The guys talk about The Mission, the R&R Hall of Fame (Tommy joked that he wanted to be nominated post mortem), Dennis (JY says he's forgiven Dennis for the past), and they even sing an impromptu Plexiglass Toilet. They even took a few phone calls, which is how Dennis was brought up. Overall, all the guys sounded grounded and happy with where they are.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Re: Podcast

Postby brywool » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:58 am

Man, Tommy's voice sounds thrashed. Thanks for the tip on this!
Listening to the rest of this. They really DO hate Dennis. That sucks. JY is so bitter and you can just hear it. I understand what he's saying about "Well, we were all ready to go ahead, but Dennis limited us to 40 shows a year so he could go and do his theater productions. I totally get that, but wow, you can tell that JY and Tommy have no love for him. That's sad to hear straight from the horse's mouth.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby gr8dane » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:18 am

This always cracks me up.
When Dennis was in Styx he was bossing everybody around,and then wants to do Broadway.
Tells everybody to step back ,so he can do his shit.
He then gets fired.His Broadway shit tanks.He wants to be back in Styx and all that jazz.
He is moping around.Where's all the Broadway jizz these days Dennis ??? Lol.
He is out there touring with Styx songs.Good ole Dennis. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Cassie May » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 am

brywool wrote:Man, Tommy's voice sounds thrashed. Thanks for the tip on this!
Listening to the rest of this. They really DO hate Dennis. That sucks. JY is so bitter and you can just hear it. I understand what he's saying about "Well, we were all ready to go ahead, but Dennis limited us to 40 shows a year so he could go and do his theater productions. I totally get that, but wow, you can tell that JY and Tommy have no love for him. That's sad to hear straight from the horse's mouth.

Now, that is interesting! I didn't get that vibe at all. I didn't think JY sounded bitter at all. I thought he and Tommy answered honestly and from each of their perspectives. To me, it sounded like they are comfortable with where they are, excited for the new album, and not giving a damn about the HoF. Of course, this is an audio interview and they all are well-versed in "spin."

Not trying to pick a fight here, but I think it's interesting that we heard two different things. And yes, Tommy's voice sounded like he was getting over a cold.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:40 pm

brywool wrote:Man, Tommy's voice sounds thrashed. Thanks for the tip on this!

The funny thing is that in JY's version of the events, he leaves out some important stuff. That the band did not have a tour planned for that year and initially they planned to take a break. At some point someone approached Dennis and asked him if he could do a tour because someone in the band needed money.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby brywool » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 am

TOMMY: "I want to be in the RRHOF Posthumously. That way it puts me in the driver's seat. I don't wanna GO." (basically, so he can avoid drama is what I took away from that- we know where he feels the drama lies). "We'll have to decide what we'll do when the time comes and what is best for all parties". (does that include the fans?)

When Eddie Trunk talks about how former members of bands get to play at RRHOF, Tommy reiterates to go posthumously. "You can't lose that way, there's no drama". Then he talks about how "We'd get in, but we don't have to play, right"? (Why wouldn't he want to play? Dennis.)
hen they talked about how Kiss wouldn't do it and Tommy sounded like he wanted that (meaning it sounds like he doesn't want to play with Dennis to me). He DID like what Cheap Trick did and having Bun play (which was cool and what Styx SHOULD do).

TOMMY: "We've gone through a lot with Dennis and we've gone through a lot to get peace in the land. It finally got peaceful everywhere. I don't want it to get unpeaceful anymore. Life's too short". We're all grownups, but I just don't want to go through anymore of what we've already been through".

A call comes in from a listener and he says "you're not getting any younger. We know how it is when it divorced and it can't be 'that bad, can it? It's ONE show":

JY "As far as working together it CAN BE that bad. We're happy to stand there onstage with Dennis. I've forgiven him for ALL HE DID TO US. And I truly wish Dennis well, happiness and success ON HIS OWN. He didn't wanna be a member of this band on our terms, or on the terms of the democracy. We did some great work together".

TOMMY: "We did get back together and it was like the divorced couple, it literally started making people sick"

JY: "It made ME sick".

Really? Yeah, sounds like they'd love to be with Dennis at the RRHOF. They're skipping all the way. :)
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Archetype » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:13 am

I think it's safe to say that a reunion is not going to happen. Ever. I'm quite alright with it, too. Dennis has an amazing band that can play any Styx song and sound great doing it, and Styx themselves are a spectacular live act as well. They're also both releasing great new music. I love both groups and what each one brings to the table.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx