Hundred Million Miles from Home

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:53 pm

This song is available on iTunes. About to give it a first listen.

After listening to it I can honestly say this is gonna be a great album. I can't wait.
BVB
User avatar
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm
Location: The Grove of Eglantine

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Baron Von Bielski wrote:This song is available on iTunes. About to give it a first listen.

After listening to it I can honestly say this is gonna be a great album. I can't wait.


I just heard it. I agree.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Sounds like it would fit well on Kilroy Was Here.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby RumTumJM » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Am I the only one who keeps getting "distracted" by the one voice in the chorus (presumably Tommy's), that holds out the note longer than the rest and seems to lose time with the group?

HAHAHA!
User avatar
RumTumJM
45 RPM
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:50 pm

RumTumJM wrote:Am I the only one who keeps getting "distracted" by the one voice in the chorus (presumably Tommy's), that holds out the note longer than the rest and seems to lose time with the group?

HAHAHA!


I didn't notice that. I'll listen again. There are some really high harmonies in this. They remind me of the harmonies in Witch Wolf.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:48 am

I am assuming Chuck plays on at least one song on the album. It might be this song as the playing sounds kind of like his style. For me, this is just an OK song. Not bad, but nothing breathtaking either. The vox guitar was pretty cool and I like the drum sound. The drums reminds me of John's drum sound on Kilroy. Many of the harmonies sound like the same vocalist layered. Will listen on headphones in a bit to hear it more clearly.
User avatar
FormerDJMike
8 Track
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Somewhere In America

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby Archetype » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:23 am

This song is awesome! Styx is 3 for 3 so far with material from The Mission. I'm very excited to hear the whole album. I'm expecting it to be amazing.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:51 am

Archetype wrote:This song is awesome! Styx is 3 for 3 so far with material from The Mission. I'm very excited to hear the whole album. I'm expecting it to be amazing.



No, it sucks. The only good song of the first 3 is by Gowan, ironically enough.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:55 am

Hey a talking guitar....that is amazingly original!!!
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby Archetype » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:06 am

Toph wrote:
Archetype wrote:This song is awesome! Styx is 3 for 3 so far with material from The Mission. I'm very excited to hear the whole album. I'm expecting it to be amazing.



No, it sucks. The only good song of the first 3 is by Gowan, ironically enough.


You're right, I don't like it anymore because you said it sucks :roll:
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:15 am

Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:
Archetype wrote:This song is awesome! Styx is 3 for 3 so far with material from The Mission. I'm very excited to hear the whole album. I'm expecting it to be amazing.



No, it sucks. The only good song of the first 3 is by Gowan, ironically enough.


You're right, I don't like it anymore because you said it sucks :roll:


Good, maybe you're learning to get some taste in music.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:15 am

In actually its a little "Best New Face" - esque. As if additional musical territory needed to be explored after that one.... :shock:
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby blt man » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:53 am

Looks like I am in the minority on this but I don't like this song either.
Radio Silence and Gone Gone Gone are better.

I ordered the CD through Amazon so guess I will have to wait until next week to give my verdict.
blt man
45 RPM
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Canada

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:27 am

blt man wrote:Looks like I am in the minority on this but I don't like this song either.
Radio Silence and Gone Gone Gone are better.

I ordered the CD through Amazon so guess I will have to wait until next week to give my verdict.


I think Amazon gives you access to the MP3s when you order a CD. It might be worth checking if you want to hear it tonight.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby masque » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:48 am

Toph wrote:Hey a talking guitar....that is amazingly original!!!


maybe all guitar players should quit using distortion, delay, reverb or any other "noticeable" effect? since all of that stuff including the talk box has ALL been used to death.

of course if they all quit using that stuff then it all becomes acoustic music which is also copying someone's style and tone.

dog chasing it's tail on that stuff toph. no sound or production choice these days has much of a chance to sound truly original.

therefore, the goal is try to make music that you like and make it sound the best you can and incorporate production choices that make you happy as an artist.

if you dont like the song then cool, no problem. but criticizing them for the use of a talk box is just basically being a dick. and if that's you goal congrats you win the big first prize. if that was not your goal, then think on your sins.
masque
8 Track
 
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am

Re: Hundred Million Miles from Home

Postby blt man » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:55 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:
blt man wrote:Looks like I am in the minority on this but I don't like this song either.
Radio Silence and Gone Gone Gone are better.

I ordered the CD through Amazon so guess I will have to wait until next week to give my verdict.


I think Amazon gives you access to the MP3s when you order a CD. It might be worth checking if you want to hear it tonight.


Well, I am in Canada and Amazon.ca does not sell digital content so I do need to wait for the physical copy. Amazon prime video only came to Canada a few months ago so we are truly behind the times when it comes to content. I guess if the whole album is on spotify, I may be able listen.
blt man
45 RPM
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:35 am
Location: Canada


Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests