Hundred Million Miles From Home

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Hundred Million Miles From Home

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:37 am

What is this boogie woogie crap? Gowan wins the award for best single. Gone Gone Gone is the only catchy song out of the first 3.
Toph
Stereo LP

Re: Hundred Million Miles From Home

Postby Archetype » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 am

Toph wrote:What is this boogie woogie crap? Gowan wins the award for best single. Gone Gone Gone is the only catchy song out of the first 3.

Songs have to be catchy in order to be good? You must love Justin Beiber :lol:
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:46 am

Toph wrote:What is this boogie woogie crap? Gowan wins the award for best single. Gone Gone Gone is the only catchy song out of the first 3.

This isn't my favorite song so far either. I thing we will all be surprised when we hear the rest of the album. We have not heard the best songs on The Mission yet. Not even close!
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:44 am

Ive heard them all ( entire album) For me Gone Gone Gone was the only song that was very good on my first listen. I really like Radio Silence but it took a few listens.

For me, this album is gonna be alot like a Dream Theater album ( minus length of songs), its gonna take quite a few listens for this album to grow on me.

But at first listen, all the way through with a bunch of interruptions the music is brilliant!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:50 am

yogi wrote:Ive heard them all ( entire album) For me Gone Gone Gone was the only song that was very good on my first listen. I really like Radio Silence but it took a few listens.

For me, this album is gonna be alot like a Dream Theater album ( minus length of songs), its gonna take quite a few listens for this album to grow on me.

But at first listen, all the way through with a bunch of interruptions the music is brilliant!!

Not bad for an interrupted filled first listen to call the music brilliant. I cant wait to hear it tonight, uninterrupted with headphones!
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:42 am

I've now heard the whole thing, too.

I'm let down a little, since there are too many slow, or at best mid-tempo, songs in a row. I appreciate the intensity and rock opera feel to it, but I was hoping for more upbeat rockers, like "Gone Gone Gone".

While I will listen many more times, "Trouble At The Big Show" seems pointless and only there to give JY his song, "Locomotive" doesn't really go anywhere, and "The Outpost" has more of an 80s vibe than expected. Interestingly, at this point, I think Gowan has the better songs, since it seems that Tommy stuck to the slower "Crystal Ball" types, with no "Renegade" types.
RumTumJM
45 RPM

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:45 am

RumTumJM wrote:I've now heard the whole thing, too.

I'm let down a little, since there are too many slow, or at best mid-tempo, songs in a row. I appreciate the intensity and rock opera feel to it, but I was hoping for more upbeat rockers, like "Gone Gone Gone".

While I will listen many more times, "Trouble At The Big Show" seems pointless and only there to give JY his song, "Locomotive" doesn't really go anywhere, and "The Outpost" has more of an 80s vibe than expected. Interestingly, at this point, I think Gowan has the better songs, since it seems that Tommy stuck to the slower "Crystal Ball" types, with no "Renegade" types.

"All I wanted to do was rock."
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:34 am

RumTumJM wrote:I've now heard the whole thing, too.

When I think about my favorite Styx songs from 1975 to 1983 they all seem to be the more mid-tempo songs. Not, Nothing Ever Goes As Planned type but Castle Walls and I'm Okay type songs. I'm hoping for something close to that.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:51 am

I thing this album will really appeal to the older Styx fan who is more familiar with the Wooden Nickel days and kind of lost interest after pieces of eight.
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx