Gone Gone Gone by far and away the best of the first 3

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Gone Gone Gone by far and away the best of the first 3

Postby Toph » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:21 am

Hands down. Gowan actually can write a hook. Likely his training.

Gone Gone Gone has an ear worm quality - I would have started the single off like the video does - with Gowan yelling out "Light It Up Let's Get This Show On The Road"

Radio Silence - sorry just goes nowhere. The chorus tries to get there, but just isn't catchy enough to warrant sustained listening.

Million Miles - Doesn't sound like Styx. Too boogie woogie. And the Frampton talking guitar? Trying too hard. This could have easily found a place on a Shaw solo album or maybe even Brave New World or Cyclorama - its very "Best New Face" or "Together". I don't understand the people that says it sound like Wooden Nickel stuff. Maybe it has a groove like I'm Gonna Make You Feel It, but thats about it. More like Best New Face or Together - and I don't think anyone would say those are the strongest songs on those albums.

Finally, I've heard 3 songs....where's the progressive feel like "One With Everything?"
Toph
Stereo LP

Re: Gone Gone Gone by far and away the best of the first 3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:24 am

Toph wrote:Hands down. Gowan actually can write a hook. Likely his training.

Gone Gone Gone has an ear worm quality - I would have started the single off like the video does - with Gowan yelling out "Light It Up Let's Get This Show On The Road"

Radio Silence - sorry just goes nowhere. The chorus tries to get there, but just isn't catchy enough to warrant sustained listening.

Million Miles - Doesn't sound like Styx. Too boogie woogie. And the Frampton talking guitar? Trying too hard. This could have easily found a place on a Shaw solo album or maybe even Brave New World or Cyclorama - its very "Best New Face" or "Together". I don't understand the people that says it sound like Wooden Nickel stuff. Maybe it has a groove like I'm Gonna Make You Feel It, but thats about it. More like Best New Face or Together - and I don't think anyone would say those are the strongest songs on those albums.

Finally, I've heard 3 songs....where's the progressive feel like "One With Everything?"

Overture goes right into Gone Gone Gone. Like Paradise Theatre starts. I'm told the progressive songs are Red Storm, Time May Bend, and the Outpost but I'll let you know after I hear those songs tonight. Although its all objective. I do think Radio Silence has a Man In The Wilderness feel to it.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Re: Gone Gone Gone by far and away the best of the first 3

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:08 am

Nah, Hundred Million Miles from Home is my favorite of the 3. Although I like Gone x 3, I love Tommy Shaw's voice.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Return to Styx