THE GREATER GOOD

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

THE GREATER GOOD

Postby yogi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:19 am

Cant get away from this song. IMO by far the best song on the album and one of Styx's best songs ever. Its a duet between Gowan and Tommy. Gowan starts off this song and is pitch perfect. Later on when Tommy jumps in. This song really showcases Tommy's voice at his best.

Something about this track, reminds me of how Tommy sung, on the song 'Just Get Through This Night'. When Gowan and Tommy sing together at the end of the song reminds me of how Tommy and Dennis sang together 'And Ill humbly thank my director and everyone from the start, I can blow them all away if I only find the part"

Its a GREAT GREAT song!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: THE GREATER GOOD

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:26 am

yogi wrote:Cant get away from this song. IMO by far the best song on the album and one of Styx's best songs ever. Its a duet between Gowan and Tommy. Gowan starts off this song and is pitch perfect. Later on when Tommy jumps in. This song really showcases Tommy's voice at his best.

Something about this track, reminds me of how Tommy sung, on the song 'Just Get Through This Night'. When Gowan and Tommy sing together at the end of the song reminds me of how Tommy and Dennis sang together 'And Ill humbly thank my director and everyone from the start, I can blow them all away if I only find the part"

Interesting to hear about this song. I have heard others say the best song is Locomotive, or Outpost, also Red Storm, or Time May Bend. I am looking forward to 11pm central time when I can hear it on iTunes. My vinyl will arrive Saturday!
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:19 pm

yogi wrote:Cant get away from this song. IMO by far the best song on the album and one of Styx's best songs ever. Its a duet between Gowan and Tommy. Gowan starts off this song and is pitch perfect. Later on when Tommy jumps in. This song really showcases Tommy's voice at his best.

I had the same feeling but more like "Haven't we Been Here Before" where it's a duet between Shaw/DeYoung. I absolutely love Gowan's part of the song. It's not an easy melody to sing and he does his part brilliantly. The way their feel comes off in this song is absolutely perfect.
Last edited by brywool on Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:29 am

I agree that it is one of the standout tracks, but I just wish that the chorus packed more punch. It almost builds up and then looses steam rather quickly.
RumTumJM
45 RPM

Postby brywool » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:03 am

RumTumJM wrote:I agree that it is one of the standout tracks, but I just wish that the chorus packed more punch. It almost builds up and then looses steam rather quickly.

I thought that too at first. Now I'm used to it and think that since it's supposed be a conversation between the two characters that it works in that sense.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:20 pm

This belongs on Jonathan Cains new CD.
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby yogi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 am

What a GREAT GREAT song form an even GREATER album. I love the whole thing!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby brywool » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:43 am

YUP!

The new car smell is wearing off for me a bit... I think because I spent my time last night on the phone with Comcast dealing with a tech issue and I had this on in the background. Insert Tommy Shaw from the Kilroy film:

"Dammit"
"Dammit"
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Kilroy1983 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Aso I liked this song. I don't know why, but this song leads me goes back to january of 1981 when i first heard "The Best Of Times". Great Song. IMO it has a little bit of Queen, maybe the Chorus amd guitar solo.
Kilroy1983
Ol' 78

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 pm

It's a good song. Not great IMO. One of their best songs ever??? With their list of hits and deep tracks?? Surprising statement.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Toph » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:14 pm

There is no classic song on this album in the genre of Come Sail Away, Lady, Renegade, Best of Times, Show Me The Way, etc. There is not one song that is just breathtakingly "Gotta hear it" over and over again. Outpost is pretty good, not a classic though.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Jodes » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:52 am

Disagree.. Radio Silence is that song.. I haven't heard a song from either DDY or Styx since Show Me The Way that moved me so. That right there is classic Styx..
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx