My Review...

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: My Review...

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:09 am

After my first listen today, I like the music, but the some of the lyrics are ok. Production is not the best in spots, I think if it hinted more toward the Paradise, Corner, PO8 or GI, even LITR, it would sound better
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Fact Finder » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:06 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:Side 2 of the album is the best side 2 of any past Styx album!

I like your enthusiasm but no, it's not. It is and will always be side 2 of Equinox. :P
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 pm

Fact Finder wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:Side 2 of the album is the best side 2 of any past Styx album!

I like your enthusiasm but no, it's not. It is and will always be side 2 of Equinox. :P

Side 2 of Equinox is great, as is GI and POE. There is just more to listen to on The Mission and its all good. Equinox really only has 3 songs on side 2. Cyclorama and Brave New World didn't have an official side 2 as far as I know.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby birdynumnum » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:33 am

I know I don't post frequently but since this is as subject worth commenting about, I guess I will. On first listen I found this album a little bland, and there was nothing compelling me to listen again, but I did. I think I liked it a little better the second time so maybe I need to listen more, but still feel that nothing grabs me. I'm also not a fan of such a literal concept album such as this or Kilroy, prefer more oblique themes such as GI, POE and PT where the songs and lyrics stand on their own.

The one thing that bothers me the most though is that with Cyclorama and this album it seems Styx has somewhat lost their way and forgotten who they are. It's great that they are embracing Prog Rock again, but they seem to be embracing Yes, Queen, ELP and Pink Floyd more than Styx. At least with Cyclo they still had some good Styx moments, TATT IMO being one of the best songs to come along since the PT album. I don't find that here at all. They really sound like a band trying to sound like early ELP, Yes and Queen. Why?
birdynumnum
Radio Waves

Postby ztyxlynne » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 am

Okay I've been holding off saying anything about this album for a while. When I heard that they were going to do a concept album about going to Mars and then they were going to have an outside producer and writer something that Styx really never had before. I had a DDY moment. Tommy it's time to change the bong water.

I listen to the album several times and I love it it is one of the strongest ones they've made in a long time and I'm also putting it away above Cyclorama. 100 million miles from home and Radio Silence so far my favorites. I love the production on his album and how everything seems to flow together. Yes they took their time and it shows and I'm so glad they're getting excellent reviews.

I really hope they get on a roll now and we don't have to wait another 2 years or heaven forbid 13 like we did with the last album. This definitely shows that they can put together one of the strongest albums they've made. It definitely sounds like classic Styx
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:21 am

Sounds awesome on vinyl! Cranked it up twice today! And the "dead wax" area says "Welcome to 1979".
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby LtVanish » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 am

Right now I think I like JY's tune "Trouble at the Big Show" the best on the album. I wish JY had another song on the album, I think that is what it's missing. Overall I give the album a B+, this is after about 10 listens so far, It will be interesting how it will stand the test of time. Cyclorama which I really enjoyed when it came out, I have a hard time listening to it now, maybe I wore it out, or it the strength of the songs that don't stand up, I can't figure out why I don't feel the same way about the album as I used to.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 pm

After reading the credits I see JY had very little to do with Trouble At The Big Show. Interesting. Looking at it now I think "Love Me Tonight" would fit the style of this album. Maybe some re-writes on the lyrics a bit but that is one of his best solo songs and it could easily fit the theme. Would've been nice to dig it up and use it. I also see that JY thanks Lou DePasqua.

Time May Bend has Equinox type keyboards, reminds me of the keys in Light Up at the beginning.

After repeated listens I think I have to go with The Outpost as the best track. I love the end, how it has the keyboard "lick" from Overture. Would have been a nice album closer. Mission To Mars is a good song but like others have said might be better earlier in the album.

And I am wondering if the clear vinyl glows in the dark. Probably not but it has that look.

And as for the whole "concept" thing. You know "we don't wanna do concept records, etc, etc". I kind of look at it like this: If you had asked me what I thought of Duran Duran or Tears For Fears 30 years ago I would've told you they sucked, not real musicians, etc. But 30 years later I love those bands. So people change their minds. Can't hold that against them over 30 years later.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby brywool » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:16 am

uh oh....
Trouble at the Big Show is growing on me.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:48 am

bry, your review was dead on in that you found all of the influences from CSN to Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush, Yes, and to me I hear a ton of wanna be Beatle Sgt.Pep, White Album influence. But again, WTF!

It's good, some is catchy, dig Gone Gone, Hundred Million and I dug Trouble at Big Show the first time, Red Storm was my standout. But dudes, this ain't my 1976-1988 Styx. Where are the songs, the hooks the money shots. Styx is not Pink Floyd or Yes or the others and to me, this ain't Styx music, it's more like Styx doing that covers album again but making up their own 60's and 70's psychedelic music. The Khedive Queen ripoff is a joke to me and ruined a great piano piece.

I don't get it.

No, you don't get it.

I remember way back when DY got off their "Don't Tread" tour, and Tommy recorded 7DZ, with almost daily blog posts giving updates. Then the rerecording of "Lady" the Styx reunion tours that followed and finally they were in the studio for the reunion album. I remember Tommy writing blog posts of how he was listening to the older Styx albums and how he wanted to bring back some of that sound into the new album. IMO, a lot of fans wanted that - especially in a reunion album. But, it didn't work out that way and everything unraveled. It doesn't matter what happened but I doubt BNW was what anybody imagined it to be at the start of things.

However cliche you believe it is, I think this is the attempt to give the fans the old Progressive sound of Styx, but in a new updated form for who they are now. That is what it is to me.

True, Styx isn't Pink Floyd, or Yes, or Queen, etc. But, they are not Styx, either. Meaning, I don't think those bands could record this album any better than Styx did because there is a LOT MORE Styx in here than nods to their influences. Also true, there is no "Come Sail Away" on here, or "Don't Let it End" or "Babe". That seems to be what you are looking for. But, that is not who Styx is any longer. IMO, the fans who have stuck around for so long accepted that fact a very long time ago.

It is what it is...and I like it.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby S2M » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:02 am

Monker wrote:
bry, your review was dead on in that you found all of the influences from CSN to Pink Floyd, Queen, Rush, Yes, and to me I hear a ton of wanna be Beatle Sgt.Pep, White Album influence. But again, WTF!

It's good, some is catchy, dig Gone Gone, Hundred Million and I dug Trouble at Big Show the first time, Red Storm was my standout. But dudes, this ain't my 1976-1988 Styx. Where are the songs, the hooks the money shots. Styx is not Pink Floyd or Yes or the others and to me, this ain't Styx music, it's more like Styx doing that covers album again but making up their own 60's and 70's psychedelic music. The Khedive Queen ripoff is a joke to me and ruined a great piano piece.

I don't get it.

No, you don't get it.

I remember way back when DY got off their "Don't Tread" tour, and Tommy recorded 7DZ, with almost daily blog posts giving updates. Then the rerecording of "Lady" the Styx reunion tours that followed and finally they were in the studio for the reunion album. I remember Tommy writing blog posts of how he was listening to the older Styx albums and how he wanted to bring back some of that sound into the new album. IMO, a lot of fans wanted that - especially in a reunion album. But, it didn't work out that way and everything unraveled. It doesn't matter what happened but I doubt BNW was what anybody imagined it to be at the start of things.

However cliche you believe it is, I think this is the attempt to give the fans the old Progressive sound of Styx, but in a new updated form for who they are now. That is what it is to me.

True, Styx isn't Pink Floyd, or Yes, or Queen, etc. But, they are not Styx, either. Meaning, I don't think those bands could record this album any better than Styx did because there is a LOT MORE Styx in here than nods to their influences. Also true, there is no "Come Sail Away" on here, or "Don't Let it End" or "Babe". That seems to be what you are looking for. But, that is not who Styx is any longer. IMO, the fans who have stuck around for so long accepted that fact a very long time ago.

While all that MAY be true, the point is that Styx fans are not unlike every rabid FANatic of every other band...especially KISS. Gene & Paul found out a long time ago...and the same can be said of Frig & Fro...that fans will buy ANYTHING a band releases.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that when Andrew gets around to reviewing this release, he'll give it a score no higher than the mid-70s...

Btw, Styx was never prog...even if you split hairs with their early stuff - they haven't been 'proggy' since Tyrion Lannister joined the crew.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby brywool » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:21 am

Monker wrote:

THIS.

This is all that matters. If you like it, great. If you don't, the old stuff is waiting and ain't goin' away.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:36 am

Monker wrote:

I don't get it.

No, you don't get it.

No, I do get it, I've been watching and listening to Styx since day one. How many here can say they saw the band with John C? I have, and I've seen every incarnation of the band since, plus Damn Yankees and Dennis solo. Only thing I didn't see was Shaw/Blades live and that's because they weren't worth a 200 mile round trip for me for the Influnces cover songs.

Again, never said I didn't like it, some is very good and some very weak to me. Its a concept, I get that, but I think it's a weak concept album, with a weak story, and very weak ending. A story like this needs 2 albums to tell the story properly. I think this whole concept will go right over most fans heads except for diehards like us.

I'm not looking for Come Sail Away, (can't top that), Babe or Don't let it End either, but a BCM, PT ( and they reused the guitar line in The Outpost), TMTOMH or Fooling Yourself. Songs with hooks that might have average Joe singing along are not here.

Musically it's a good to great album and I will play it more than the 5 listens I have given it but honestly nothing here blows my hair back like Equinox, Crystal Ball, GI, P08, and PT did. As a huge Styx fan I'm at about a 6/7 out of 10 on this.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby gr8dane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:35 am

brywool wrote:
Monker wrote:

THIS.

This is all that matters. If you like it, great. If you don't, the old stuff is waiting and ain't goin' away.

Yep.This is the album anybody has put out,that come closest to the 70ies heyday sound.
I don't care if Andrew is going to give 70 % the most.To me Mission is so much better than I dared hope for.So there. :D
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Fact Finder » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfpUJzb ... 6SYAZShotl

Listen to guitar line at 1:04 to 1:06

same as PT
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Monker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:57 pm

S2M wrote:Btw, Styx was never prog...even if you split hairs with their early stuff - they haven't been 'proggy' since Tyrion Lannister joined the crew.

By definition of the Progressive genre - Styx is Progressive in the exact same way that Asia is Progressive. Also, adding Gowan emphasizes their Progressive side by adding even more legitimate classical music influence - which is part of the definition of what the Progressive genre is.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Fact Finder wrote:No, I do get it, I've been watching and listening to Styx since day one. How many here can say they saw the band with John C? I have, and I've seen every incarnation of the band since, plus Damn Yankees and Dennis solo. Only thing I didn't see was Shaw/Blades live and that's because they weren't worth a 200 mile round trip for me for the Influnces cover songs.

Again, never said I didn't like it, some is very good and some very weak to me. Its a concept, I get that, but I think it's a weak concept album, with a weak story, and very weak ending. A story like this needs 2 albums to tell the story properly. I think this whole concept will go right over most fans heads except for diehards like us.

I'm not looking for Come Sail Away, (can't top that), Babe or Don't let it End either, but a BCM, PT ( and they reused the guitar line in The Outpost), TMTOMH or Fooling Yourself. Songs with hooks that might have average Joe singing along are not here.

Musically it's a good to great album and I will play it more than the 5 listens I have given it but honestly nothing here blows my hair back like Equinox, Crystal Ball, GI, P08, and PT did. As a huge Styx fan I'm at about a 6/7 out of 10 on this.

No, you don't get it.

Here, listen to this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3rT-X_zgOg

It's about the "Great fire of London", from the fire's perspective. Great stuff.

I’ll snatch you in your dreams
I’ll drain your memories
They say our days are done
They say we know that we’re lost

Poisonous clouds we drown in dust
Dangerous hope will wipe us all away

I’ll watch you when you sleep
They say the damage is done
They say we lost what we found

Days and days go by I see a sparkle in each sunrise
Years and years go by I see devotion in this turmoil

In this moment we are truly free
Halo

Dangerous hope will wipe us away
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:16 pm

FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Fact Finder » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:05 am

Monker wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:No, I do get it, I've been watching and listening to Styx since day one. How many here can say they saw the band with John C? I have, and I've seen every incarnation of the band since, plus Damn Yankees and Dennis solo. Only thing I didn't see was Shaw/Blades live and that's because they weren't worth a 200 mile round trip for me for the Influnces cover songs.

No, you don't get it.

It's about the "Great fire of London", from the fire's perspective. Great stuff.

I’ll drain your memories

Halo

Please, for the love of God and all that is good, that ain't music. What the hell does that have to do with Styx?
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:03 am

Fact Finder wrote:
Monker wrote:

No, you don't get it.

I’ll drain your memories

Halo

Please, for the love of God and all that is good, that ain't music. What the hell does that have to do with Styx?

It has to do with Styx because you don't get it :)

And, it's music. It's Progressive Metal...and I love it!
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby S2M » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:08 am

Anneke was better with Lucassen, and Ayreon.
S2M
MP3

Postby Monker » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:42 am

S2M wrote:Anneke was better with Lucassen, and Ayreon.

Well, it depends on what type of music you like, really. She can sing any type of music you may want to listen to, and has probably recorded something that even FF can "get" :) He'd probably prefer her with Danny Cavanaugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWVhEpJMxUI

As for Lucassen, I still think the Gentle Storm "The Diary" is a masterpiece.

I'm really looking forward to Vuur. The bit in the middle with "halo" was like, WTF....only Steve Perry is allowed to do stuff like that, and that is way back in 1978 and not today.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby S2M » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 am

Monker wrote:

Well, it depends on what type of music you like, really. She can sing any type of music you may want to listen to, and has probably recorded something that even FF can "get" :) He'd probably prefer her with Danny Cavanaugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWVhEpJMxUI

I'm really looking forward to Vuur. The bit in the middle with "halo" was like, WTF....only Steve Perry is allowed to do stuff like that, and that is way back in 1978 and not today.

My bad, I should have said 'preferred'. I prefer her in Ayreon, and Gentle Storm. That video wasn't half bad.

I also love Floor Jansen, and Sharon den Adel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxpBDwrif94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXAiXhYKqc
S2M
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:58 am

Monker wrote:

The Paris Moon song was decent, and I actually listened again to that metal shit but man I just don't dig that, never have and I don't care who is singing it. Chick can sing that's for sure. Does she do any Janice type shit?
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Monker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Actually, this would fit well on this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKVWMZb5IA

Daddy where are you now
Forgot about your vow?
You promised you'd return and take me to Earth

Did you have to fight that war
What was it all for?
The honor of one's name, what is it worth?

I'm all alone - we're all alone
My future's unknown - our future's unknown
I reach out to the stars out here in my house on Mars

Mother did you hear me cry?
You never told me why
You put me in this world of rock and dust

No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust

Is this my home? - this is our home
This desolate dome - this desolate dome
I call out to the stars: I'm alone in my house on Mars

I'll never smell the ocean breeze
I'll never climb the highest trees
I'll never feel the burning sun
I'll never meet my chosen one... in my house

Daddy I forgive you now
You could not keep your vow
You will never return, I'll never see Earth

My time has come - our time has come
I'm emotionally numb - emotionally numb
I'm headed for the stars, I'm leaving my house on Mars
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:35 pm

S2M wrote:
Monker wrote:

My bad, I should have said 'preferred'. I prefer her in Ayreon, and Gentle Storm. That video wasn't half bad.

I also love Floor Jansen, and Sharon den Adel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxpBDwrif94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXAiXhYKqc

I like Anneke's version of "Valley of the Queens" a lot more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN_2k-ZkL_U
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:54 pm

Fact Finder wrote:
Monker wrote:

The Paris Moon song was decent, and I actually listened again to that metal shit but man I just don't dig that, never have and I don't care who is singing it. Chick can sing that's for sure. Does she do any Janice type shit?

You mean Joplin? The closest I can think of is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3W8xNQ-pbQ
I like "Shrink" too, but not as "bluesy":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVBoLpr4zDg
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby RumTumJM » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:52 am

OK! Now that I've been able to hear it straight-through, a few times, here's my thoughts.

Overture: Classic Styx! In particular, that synth sound is the most classic-Styx-sounding that I've ever heard Gowan's keyboards sound. I hope he uses that keyboard/organ more.

Gone, Gone, Gone: One of the best and most rockin' tracks on the album! Gowan delivers it with that same "we're going on an epic quest" conviction that DeYoung did in the past. It's like Rockin' The Paradise meets Born For Adventure for me. And the harmonies are as classic as you can get!

Hundred Million Miles From Home: I wasn't expecting so much of a funky vibe from Styx, but it works well. Solid chorus, but the out of sync voice in the chorus ruins it a bit for me. And not sure I totally dig the talkbox solo. Still good, nonetheless. It's gone of the better choruses of the album.

Trouble At The Big Show: I kinda dig it. Kinda. - I wish we had more of a screaming, balls-to-the wall rocker from JY. Unfortunately, he says in the lower register and stays kinda mellow. At least the chorus is total-classic Styx. Perhaps it could have benefited from being longer.

Locomotive: OK. This is where this gonna get controversial. Sorry, folks! This song does nothing for me (and I want it to)! It just plows along, with no hint of a chorus or any kind of hook. The only redeeming qualities, for me, are the superb drum and basswork. I'll keep listening, but, I'm just not getting it.

Radio Silence: It took me a few listens to get and really sync my teeth into, after seeing the debut at SiriusXM. Now, I'm totally digging it. I don't get the critique that it lacks a chorus/hook. It certainly has more of one than other songs like Locomotive or Red Storm. This, like Gone, Gone, Gone is classic Styx. So glad they are playing it live.

The Greater Good: Great performance by Gowan, and the shared vocals with Tommy really work. While I still wish the chorus packed more punch, I now get what they are getting at, better. I figure this one will continue to grow on me.

Time May Bend: Oh, how I wish this song was longer. It's got a bit of an unexpected, techno/new wave vibe to it, but Gowan brings the epic, rockin, Styx drama. PLEASE, play this one live...and extend it!

Ten Thousand Ways: Nice song. Doesn't really do much for me, but I'm not really bothered by it, since it's so short.

Red Storm: Now I know what Styx would sound like if they tried to be Rush! While, once, again, I wish it has a better hooks, there is a hint of one throughout, and I did the epic nature of it. I must give them props for that one portion, after the squeaky guitar sounds. That's some of the most distorted, crunchy guitars I've ever heard from Styx. This one, too, I expect to grow on me, further.

All Systems Stable: Nothing really to say.

Khedive: While I wish it was a more rocked-up, throughout, the grandiose embellishments sound really cool right out of the Queen playbook. I hope they will do the album version live, now.

The Outpost: This opinion might be a little controversial, too. While it's a fantastic song, and one of the top five on the album, I don't get everyone who says it sounds so much like classic Styx and among their best songs ever. Don't get me wrong. It's GOOD! But, the vibe is a little new-wavy, to me, to make it classic Styx. Also, the harmonies are not as classic Styx-sounding, as song like Radio Silence, Gone Gone Gone, or even Trouble At The Big Show.

Mission To Mars: Sorry, but this song is totally hokey and unnecessary. Perhaps, it would work better earlier on the record, as others have said. But, for me, I'll likely shut if off when we get to that.

There ya go! My thoughts! Let me have it!
RumTumJM
45 RPM

Postby St.George » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:36 am

The album gets better with every listen and IMHO "Ten thousand ways" is the cooler Styx track since the 70s. And no, I'm not kidding. Pity is that short...
St.George
Ol' 78

Postby gr8dane » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:14 pm

St.George wrote:The album gets better with every listen and IMHO "Ten thousand ways" is the cooler Styx track since the 70s. And no, I'm not kidding. Pity is that short...

It's stunning.Yes it would be nice if it it was longer.
Glad they didn't leave it off,because of that.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

PreviousNext

Return to Styx