Dennis' new concept album

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Dennis' new concept album

Postby blt man » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:19 am

Classic Dennis humor on his facebook site:

I have embarked on putting together a bunch of songs that will be molded into a brand new "concept album". The concept goes like this...don't suck.
blt man
45 RPM

Re: Dennis' new concept album

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:31 am

Here is the full post which is worth a read:

Hey Kids,

I have embarked on putting together a bunch of songs that will be molded into a brand new "concept album". The concept goes like this...don't suck.

I repeat DDS. Dennis don't suck.

I have more than 20 songs already written that vary from not bad to hey that DS. They deal with various topics from the current political and social climate in this great land of ours to observations on the inevitable passage of time, mortality, and what is ultimately important in this journey called life.

"Love is all you need" and "the love you take is equal to the love you make" the Beatle tune I have ended my concerts with for the past several years got me thinking about these "big thinks". (Geist). As you know I have touched on these themes before both in Styx and most notably on 100 Years but at my age things are really coming into focus. And you what I have discovered...life's still a mystery.

Now cheer up it won't all be heavy serious stuff or I would have to offer free Xanax with every purchase, should anyone actually buy this thing.
There's a tune about The Beatles on Sullivan back in 64 and a typical proggy thing in the style of Rubicon. I love that tune.

What about rockers Dennis will it rock huh Dennis huh. Yesssssss. Even the ballads which we will play twice as fast and twice as loud as necessary simply to prove my manhood. (Not true)

Hell by now you know who I am so if you liked 100 Years you'll be happy. However if you preferred Serpent there won't be any toilets songs or tunes by Handel or pirate songs. Yes I know some of you like Jonas Psalter.
Although I have toyed with re recording the Beatles Blackbird as Blackbeard.

"Blackbeard slashing in the dead of night
I'll Take my broken things and walk the plank"

Also I have been writing with my longtime pal and Grammy winner Jim Peterik and let me tell you the 4 songs we have already written DS. If you don't know Jim he was the brains behind The Ides of March and Survivor Band. He has written with everybody. For instance just to name a few: Brian Wilson, Sammy Hagar (The Red Rocker), Mick Jones of Foreigner, 38 Special, Lynnard skynnard and REO Speedwagon
He has written among countless other songs Eye of the Tiger, The Search Is Over, Rockin into the Night, High On You, Hold On Loosely, Burning Heart, That's Why God Made The Radio, and Vehicle.. Great God in Heaven.
Go to Jim's Facebook page and like him, like me he's needy.

Cheers Dennis
p.s.
I will have an announcement about the Star Plaza Theatre show very soon.
Cheers Dennis
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:42 am

he is a really funny writer when it comes to releasing updates.....I love reading his updates.
masque
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:03 am

I love his comment about playing the ballads twice as loud and twice as fast. Dennis can rock with the best of them, but knows what serves the song and theme best. Time and a place for everything. He's an incredibly versatile artist.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:52 am

Archetype wrote:I love his comment about playing the ballads twice as loud and twice as fast. Dennis can rock with the best of them, but knows what serves the song and theme best. Time and a place for everything. He's an incredibly versatile artist.

Yep, that sums up his artistic skill very well. I remember him making the comment that a good song is a good song no matter what style it is in.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Archetype wrote:I love his comment about playing the ballads twice as loud and twice as fast. Dennis can rock with the best of them, but knows what serves the song and theme best. Time and a place for everything. He's an incredibly versatile artist.

And last half the time. 8) Bonus
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:22 am

Peterik + Deyoung has to be good.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Archetype » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:20 am

I wish Dennis would have done an album when Tom Sharpe was in his band. Tom is a brilliant composer. Would have been interesting to hear what he and Dennis could have come up with.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:32 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Peterik + Deyoung has to be good.

I remember hearing them collaborate on "To Miss Somebody" and thought that was good. There was one other that I can't remember the name of the song.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Abitaman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:12 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Peterik + Deyoung has to be good.

I agree. Hope he lets his two axemen sing a song or two each.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Return to Styx