$100 Million Dollar Tour
13%
Just another Live DVD
6%

Total votes : 16

POLL: What might Dennis have brought to "The Mission?"

Postby Fact Finder » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:00 am

Discuss
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Re: POLL: What might Dennis have brought to "The Mission?"

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am

While I wish I could participate in this but can't since I have no interest in the current Styx release. Don't take this as a slam on it. I haven't listened to a single note of it. The current Styx just isn't my thing. I will say this: Styx and DDY have been apart for so long now I would find it hard to comment on this anyway.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:11 am

I didnt vote because I'm not real sure, BUT....... If Dennis brought this concept to the table we surely would of had another Behind The Music dealing with yet another Styx breakup.

To me what is really comical is when reading the story of The Mission which describes the concept& lyrics of the songs it states before the crew heads off to Mars 'ROBOTS' have visited the Red Planet or something to that effect. Im sure to DDY thats soo damn hypocritical and also very sad.

Compared to Kilroy, while I loved the Kilroy tour and liked the concept (Tipper Gore, the backwards satanic messages associated with Snowblind and Styx) I could not stand Side 1 of the Kilroy album. Side 2 was very good, but side 1 with High Time & Cold War were unlistenable. Roboto & Dont Let It End didnt cut it for me at the time either( over the years I can now somewhat appreciate those songs). The Mission on the other hand I love. I like the concept and love the music. Its an incredible work of art and Im gonna listen to this non stop for weeks into months like I did so many years ago on the albums Equinox, The Grand Illusion & Pieces of Eight.

Do I wish Dennis was still in the band? ABSOLUTELY, BUT I really like LG and now I wait for DDY & his bands new album. I hope that it too is a Styx album with August singing lead on 3 or 4 songs and Jimmy singing lead on a song or 2. Hopefully Dennis's band will bring their A game to their upcoming album like Tommy, LG and Styx did for The Mission.

Best of both worlds & I LOVE it!!!!

P.S. Boom you are making a big mistake denying yourself of this great work of art.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby brywool » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:05 am

I think the choices are kind of silly (no offense), but IF DENNIS WAS BEHIND THE CONCEPT I think that the project would've benefited from his Producer sensibilities. He would've brought tighter vocal harmonies to it. I'm noticing in spots (and this was mentioned before, but I only kind of glanced over that comment early on) that some of the harmonies don't cut off at the same time and that they're almost too separated in spots where the very high ones stick out a bit too much (and I love me some high harmonies folks). Usually with "Dennis-produced Styx albums" the harmonies were very fat and powerful ("High Time" being one notable exception). On "The Mission" there are some of those, but there are some that lack enough bottom and fatness. Those in "Khedive", for example. With the emphasis on the high harmonies, it almost sounds like young kids, like a boys choir. If it were Dennis (or myself) recording those, he'd have put a ton of bottom ones on it to give it a much bigger sound. The other thing (and this is NOT a slam on the band) none of the guys in the current Styx version have that low big resonance that Dennis has. So that in itself would fill them out. (Cue the anti-Gowan comments, to which I say - get over it).

One more Gowan comment- if Dennis were on it, we wouldn't have Gowan's EXCELLENT contributions and for me, that'd kill it. I LOVE Dennis. I've been annoyed with him in the past, but anybody that knows me and knows about one of my other jobs, KNOWS I'm way into DeYoung. Great musician and a good dude. I just am old enough to realize that sometimes things can't work and things need to change and things need to move on or they die. For me, Gowan's contributions to "The Mission" turn it from an interesting album to a freaking CLASSIC. Love it.

Other than that, I'd HOPE that Dennis would see the brilliance of this and roll with it. It's really a cool album.

(lottsa Edits - early!)
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:12 am

yogi wrote:I didnt vote because I'm not real sure, BUT....... If Dennis brought this concept to the table we surely would of had another Behind The Music dealing with yet another Styx breakup.

I think what you have stated here would be real possibility.

yogi wrote:Do I wish Dennis was still in the band? ABSOLUTELY, BUT I really like LG and now I wait for DDY & his bands new album. I hope that it too is a Styx album with August singing lead on 3 or 4 songs and Jimmy singing lead on a song or 2. Hopefully Dennis's band will bring their A game to their upcoming album like Tommy, LG and Styx did for The Mission.

I do hope that DDY does make his new project a group effort and not a totally Dennis centric album. He has a band now that can really contribute to the material.

yogi wrote:P.S. Boom you are making a big mistake denying yourself of this great work of art.

In some respects you may be right. But I just have no interest in the current Styx. Events in the past have turned me off to JY, TS and CP. Mostly JY though. Having said that I do not wish them any ill will. It's just I cannot listen to them perform and not have those issues on my mind.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:33 am

Dennis might have told Tommy to put the acoustic guitar away here and there like he did for Renegade.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:46 am

Archetype wrote:Dennis might have told Tommy to put the acoustic guitar away here and there like he did for Renegade.

Dennis LOVES Tommy on acoustic. He always says "That's when Tommy's at his best".
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Archetype » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:54 am

brywool wrote:
Archetype wrote:Dennis might have told Tommy to put the acoustic guitar away here and there like he did for Renegade.

Dennis LOVES Tommy on acoustic. He always says "That's when Tommy's at his best".

It's not that Tommy is bad on acoustic, but sometimes Tommy uses it too much. Renegade originally was more of a Crystal Ball-esque track until Dennis revamped it. I think one of the weak points of The Mission is too much acoustic guitar. I'd rather hear more electric guitar and synths for a futuristic space mission story. Dennis has a great ear for what serves the song/theme best and probably would have told Tommy that he's overdoing the acoustic guitar here.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:16 am

https://www.pollstar.com/article/tommy- ... ion-132107

Tommy Shaw: "Well, we walk out into "Overture," we're going to open with "Gone, Gone, Gone" and we will probably play "Radio Silence." We're playing 75 minutes. There's a lot of Styx music people want to hear that they know, but I think we can put those songs in comfortably and then we'll see how that goes and switch it out with any number of songs from the record.

The goal is to later on in the year – after everyone's gotten familiar with it, is to come back and play some cities. Play the entire album from front to back the way we did with “The Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight tour” we did awhile back."
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:20 am

Anyone know about all these live streams on YouTube for the last 2 nights Styx Shows. I don't see any YT vids or reviews from the first 2 nights of the tour. Was curious as to the set list.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby brywool » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 am

Fact Finder wrote:Anyone know about all these live streams on YouTube for the last 2 nights Styx Shows. I don't see any YT vids or reviews from the first 2 nights of the tour. Was curious as to the set list.

I was offered 2 free tickets twice this week (so 4 tickets). But that venue... getting to it is a freaking nightmare. Half the time, you miss big parts of the show, and it's like 90 minutes away, so I turned both of them down. IF they do "An Evening with Styx" (where it's not 2 other acts on the bill) I'll go. But to make that drive to see them do a very short show was just not happening. Love the band. Can't wait to see the new stuff live, but that's a long way to go to be frustrated by traffic. Also, NOT the biggest REO fan. Only show I ever walked out of was REO on the "Hi Infidelity Tour".
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:21 am

June 21 White River Ampitheatre

Overture
Gone Gone Gone
BCM
Grand Illusion
Lady
Light Up
Radio Silence
Miss America
Fooling Yourself
TMTOMH
Come Sail Away
Rockin the Paradise
Renegade
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby brywool » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:33 am

Fact Finder wrote:June 21 White River Ampitheatre

Overture
Gone Gone Gone
BCM
Grand Illusion
Lady
Light Up
Radio Silence
Miss America
Fooling Yourself
TMTOMH
Come Sail Away
Rockin the Paradise
Renegade

While it would've been cool to see the two new songs (Overture isn't played live as far as I know), the show's too short for that long drive. Hopefully, they'll come back through and do the entire album at some point.

Come Sail Away (and a great freaking performance too!). : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZID_8j0pVo
Great to see Chuck back on the Ric! I THINK that's the same one that he played on the Grand Illusion tour (I could be wrong)
Last edited by brywool on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby masque » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:48 am

Boomchild wrote:While I wish I could participate in this but can't since I have no interest in the current Styx release. Don't take this as a slam on it. I haven't listened to a single note of it. The current Styx just isn't my thing. I will say this: Styx and DDY have been apart for so long now I would find it hard to comment on this anyway.

boom, i dig it.....but i think you are missing out.....here is what I mean. you need to look at this new "styx" album as basically a tommy solo album with some damn fine contributions from Gowan that also appear.

and just like DDY did with 100 years where he stated he sat down and purposely tried to write songs with that "styx sound"....there is no doubt that is exactly what tommy did this time as well. except tommy's time period is really the styx sound from about mid 74 to 77. many of the "styxisms" that appear on this album sound like wooden nickel/early a & m days.

people get too hung up on the name "styx".......we all know that it isn't truly styx these days....but i understand why as business men they fought for the name and a judge agreed....it makes sense to tour and release merchandise as "styx" as long as they can legally do it.

but the album is really good if you approach it with the right mindset. just food for thought for you.
masque
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:22 am

masque wrote:boom, i dig it.....but i think you are missing out.....here is what I mean. you need to look at this new "styx" album as basically a tommy solo album with some damn fine contributions from Gowan that also appear.

and just like DDY did with 100 years where he stated he sat down and purposely tried to write songs with that "styx sound"....there is no doubt that is exactly what tommy did this time as well. except tommy's time period is really the styx sound from about mid 74 to 77. many of the "styxisms" that appear on this album sound like wooden nickel/early a & m days.

people get too hung up on the name "styx".......we all know that it isn't truly styx these days....but i understand why as business men they fought for the name and a judge agreed....it makes sense to tour and release merchandise as "styx" as long as they can legally do it.

but the album is really good if you approach it with the right mindset. just food for thought for you.

I see where you are coming from. Perhaps I need better explain my perspective. From the get go, it was what DDY brought to the table in Styx that got me into the band. This is not to down play the other members contributions. It's just that with his absence from the group I find them kind of "meh". Some may say I am just a DDY loyalist and in some ways maybe I am. But first and foremost his absence changes things to much for my liking.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:03 am

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:boom, i dig it.....but i think you are missing out.....here is what I mean. you need to look at this new "styx" album as basically a tommy solo album with some damn fine contributions from Gowan that also appear.

I see where you are coming from. Perhaps I need better explain my perspective. From the get go, it was what DDY brought to the table in Styx that got me into the band. This is not to down play the other members contributions. It's just that with his absence from the group I find them kind of "meh". Some may say I am just a DDY loyalist and in some ways maybe I am. But first and foremost his absence changes things to much for my liking.

If you haven't heard the album, how do you know that his absence changes things too much for your liking?
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:31 am

[quote="brywool
While it would've been cool to see the two new songs (Overture isn't played live as far as I know), the show's too short for that long drive. Hopefully, they'll come back through and do the entire album at some point.

Come Sail Away (and a great freaking performance too!). : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZID_8j0pVo
Great to see Chuck back on the Ric! I THINK that's the same one that he played on the Grand Illusion tour (I could be wrong)[/quote]

I remember reading somewhere a fan tracked down that bass, bought it then gave it back to Chuck as a gift. So it seems that it is his original bass.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby yogi » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:31 am

What a GREAT GREAT performance!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 am

Archetype wrote:If you haven't heard the album, how do you know that his absence changes things too much for your liking?

It's not really about this specific album but the bigger picture. Which is this incarnation of Styx. When DDY was ousted I gave this incarnation a chance and it did nothing for me. As I said before, DDY was the element that brought me to Styx. It was his contributions and influence that I liked the most. Once that was gone I lost all interest in Styx. I get it that people are digging the current Styx and this new album. It's not a problem or issue for me. More power to you. I don't know how to make it more clear that I do not have an interest in the current Styx or their output.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ztyxlynne » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:00 pm

I agree Dennis would have brought a lot tighter production. But Dennis and Tommy would have clashed. Tommy's concept but Dennis would want to bring his own ideas into the fold. Everyone's dream would be Dennis would just be the producer of Styx but that will never happen. Egos are way to big.

I think if they wanted to try to sell a lot more albums they would have given it a shot. The publicity that they would have received would even be more big than it already is. But I think with the lawsuit and everything it's way too far gone.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Archetype » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:23 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:If you haven't heard the album, how do you know that his absence changes things too much for your liking?

It's not really about this specific album but the bigger picture. Which is this incarnation of Styx. When DDY was ousted I gave this incarnation a chance and it did nothing for me. As I said before, DDY was the element that brought me to Styx. It was his contributions and influence that I liked the most. Once that was gone I lost all interest in Styx. I get it that people are digging the current Styx and this new album. It's not a problem or issue for me. More power to you. I don't know how to make it more clear that I do not have an interest in the current Styx or their output.

The Mission is a great album. Absolutely better than some of the albums that Dennis was on. Maybe check it out for good music's sake and not because it says Styx on the cover.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:44 am

Archetype wrote:The Mission is a great album. Absolutely better than some of the albums that Dennis was on. Maybe check it out for good music's sake and not because it says Styx on the cover.

I assume it would be good album. They are talented musicians and artists. But again, my issue isn't that it is under the Styx brand name.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby S2M » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:46 am

Archetype wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

The Mission is a great album. Absolutely better than some of the albums that Dennis was on. Maybe check it out for good music's sake and not because it says Styx on the cover.

Opinions are overrated. Seriously. The Mission is 'Eclipse'...a band that refuses to hang it up. That NFL vet that stayed 2 years too long, and is a shell of its former self. It's quite embarrassing. Great MUSIC. Empty lyrics/concept. Nothing that has either staying power, or a catchy hook to keep me, and most coming back. Exclusively for die-hards, or blowhards...take your pick.

This iteration Jumped the shark with Cyclorama. Just like the post-Perry incarnation jumped with 'Arrival. Sorry folks...Generations, Revelation, and Eclipse bit the big one.

In case you were wondering, the phenomenon is called Forced Nostalgia...let it go people...let. It. Go.

But then again, if the mission is mediocrity...Mission Accomplished.

Just my opinion. :lol: :lol:
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby Archetype » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:54 am

I was born when Edge of the Century came out, so there's definitely no "forced nostalgia" influencing whether or not I like Styx's latest release.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby S2M » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:06 am

Archetype wrote:I was born when Edge of the Century came out, so there's definitely no "forced nostalgia" influencing whether or not I like Styx's latest release.

My bad. I should have been more specific. Nostalgia, as in a mediocre Styx is better than no Styx at all. I guess folks are just glad they're still around?

I was born before anything came out. Really didn't get into them until Pieces of Eight. I was 9.
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby Toph » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:00 am

I think Dennis would have brought some pop sensibilities to the album. Lots of interesting material here, but as Tom Petty says in his song Into the Great Wide Open, "The A&R man says I don't hear a single," I think that is what we have here with The Mission. Interesting album and theme, but lacks the one song that will stand out and be mainstream enough to potentially warrant airplay. Or they might have just decided that there was no way they would get airplay in 2017. However, the radio friendly ballad or pop ditty might have gotten some airplay on Adult Contemporary stations. Journey was able to do that with "After All These Years."

But stay tuned for Toph's unbiased review of The Mission (when I can write it up). Some good, some bad, but I'm taking my personal feelings as to how the band treated Dennis off the table and judging the music only!
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 am

Toph wrote:
But stay tuned for Toph's unbiased review of The Mission (when I can write it up). Some good, some bad, but I'm taking my personal feelings as to how the band treated Dennis off the table and judging the music only!

Time will tell but I think people here are skeptical on this. Based on past experiences.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:30 am

If Tommy is allowed/has the balls to write a CONCEPT album for STYX ( and we Styx diehard fans accept it), Toph is allowed to give an unbiased??? review.

Who would of ever thunk it for either?????

Yogi LOVES the album. The Greater Good IS that hit single( GREAT GREAT song). Locomotive also has real possibilities.
Back in the day Gone Gone Gone and Radio Silence would have been hits.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:

Time will tell but I think people here are skeptical on this. Based on past experiences.

At least I gave it a listen...
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:45 pm

This was Tommy's project. What Dennis would have brought is making it not Tommy's project because - he believes he is responsible bringing all of the bands success. He believes he is responsible for the bands sound. He is responsible for everything the band crated from the debut thru EotC.

So, what Dennis would bring is that attitude, and trying to justify having complete control of the album, and the band...and driving everybody crazy.

Also, since Gowan has such a dominating presence on the album, the answer is that this album would be so different that nobody would recognize it.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Next

Return to Styx