40th Anniversary Grand Illusion on green vinyl

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

40th Anniversary Grand Illusion on green vinyl

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:18 am

Styx is celebrating the 40th anniversary of The Grand Illusion by releasing a special bundle of The Grand Illusion vinyl and CD of their new album The Mission exclusively on the band’s official website, Styx World, starting today for $37.77.

Released on 7/7/77 on A&M Records, The Grand Illusion has been universally embraced as one of the greatest progressive rock albums ever recorded. To celebrate this landmark anniversary, STYX and UMe have produced a limited edition pressing of The Grand Illusion on translucent green vinyl; featuring the hit songs, “Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)” and “Come Sail Away."

“40 years ago today, we captured magic on vinyl with the release of The Grand Illusion. What is additionally exciting to me is that I feel that we are heading for the skies for the second time with our new album The Mission.” – James “JY” Young .

Last edited by FormerDJMike on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Re: 49th Anniversary Grand Illusion on green vinyl

Postby Toph » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Assuming DeYoung gets a cut of those Grand Illusion sales?
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Jodes » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Toph wrote:Assuming DeYoung gets a cut of those Grand Illusion sales?

Seriously? I would think.. YES.
Jodes
Cassette Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:53 pm

Yes, but not from this.....

http://styxworld.com/store/13276/grand- ... ary-plaque
STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Yeah but where is the supposed 5.1 surround mix of the new album? Sure I'd like to purchase the green LP of GI, but I don't need another regular copy of the new CD.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Toph » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:04 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:

Yes, but not from this.....

This is complete and utter crap. Bush league by Styx, but not surprising. So, you put this out with 3 guys who were 20+ years from being in the band when it came out. So typical. F You Styx.
Last edited by Toph on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Cassie May » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:56 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Yeah but where is the supposed 5.1 surround mix of the new album? Sure I'd like to purchase the green LP of GI, but I don't need another regular copy of the new CD.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/595 ... 5b96c65e86

In this interview, Tommy says 5.1 will be out later this year.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Cassie May wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:Yeah but where is the supposed 5.1 surround mix of the new album? Sure I'd like to purchase the green LP of GI, but I don't need another regular copy of the new CD.

Sweet!! Thanks.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Toph » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Cassie May wrote:

Are they going to put pictures of Todd Sucherman, Lawrence Gowan, and Ricky Phillips on that one too? #bushleague
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:12 am

Am I to understand on this special green vinyl GI release they have put Gowan's, Todd's and Ricky's picture on it?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:22 am

Ive heard it. Its re recorded with the 'Styx Now" playing the album.

There is a major pause after Gowan sings 'To Carry On'. I assume he has to gather himself after jumping off his piano.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:19 am

yogi wrote:Ive heard it. Its re recorded with the 'Styx Now" playing the album.

There is a major pause after Gowan sings 'To Carry On'. I assume he has to gather himself after jumping off his piano.

I asked the question because of some of the posts in this thread. I would hope that they wouldn't do that. Since none of those individuals had anything to do with the original album.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:49 am

Boomchild wrote:Am I to understand on this special green vinyl GI release they have put Gowan's, Todd's and Ricky's picture on it?

No, the green vinyl is the original album with original artwork and photos. The gold framed album only has a small photo of the album cover included and most likely is not a playable record.it has a picture of the current band at the top of the frame. The album doesn't even have a proper center label on it.

STYX new album coming in 2024
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:32 pm

ChicagoSTYX wrote:No, the green vinyl is the original album with original artwork and photos. The gold framed album only has a small photo of the album cover included and most likely is not a playable record.it has a picture of the current band at the top of the frame. The album doesn't even have a proper center label on it.

Now I get it. I would have never known since I don't visit the current band's site. I could see why some have an issue with this. Creating a piece of art work to celebrate the anniversary of an album and then putting an image of musicians on it that had nothing to do with the project. Seems kind of a lame move. Then I looked at the price. Almost spit my drink out.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby tj » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:38 am

Boomchild wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:No, the green vinyl is the original album with original artwork and photos. The gold framed album only has a small photo of the album cover included and most likely is not a playable record.it has a picture of the current band at the top of the frame. The album doesn't even have a proper center label on it.

Now I get it. I would have never known since I don't visit the current band's site. I could see why some have an issue with this. Creating a piece of art work to celebrate the anniversary of an album and then putting an image of musicians on it that had nothing to do with the project. Seems kind of a lame move. Then I looked at the price. Almost spit my drink out.

THis seems childish. I get that there are bad feelings between DDY and the band. I suppose that there are contractual issues which prevent the band from referencing DDY in any new non-historical (produced after to the split) marketing material (album notes, website, etc.). In that case, leave the pictures out. Celebrate the music you made together and act like adults.
tj
Cassette Tape

Return to Styx