DDY's 40th Anniversary of GI Concert

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

DDY's 40th Anniversary of GI Concert

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Here's a link to DDY's show for the 40th Anniversary of GI. In which he performs the entire album live. Unfortunately, the video and audio quality is poor. Having said that, it's evident that DDY and his band nailed it. Check out their performance of Superstars as well as Man in the Wilderness. It's apparent that the band had a blast and the audience ate it up. DDY stepped up the production of this show by adding smoke pots and background visuals. Something that I think his regular shows has been lacking. I think DDY made a mistake by not recording this special show for DVD and\or CD release. I think it may have done better then his Live from L.A. release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsSqaYQBcZU&t=1590s
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Re: DDY's 40th Anniversary of GI Concert

Postby Archetype » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:56 am

Really wish I could have been there. Outstanding production and performance by all accounts. Great set list too.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby SuiteMadameBlue » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:29 am

It was a GREAT show, just amazing! This type of concert you have to see in person, the videos don't do justice, however, thank goodness there's video's out there. The Grand Illusion, no breaks, just kept going.

In MY opinion, Jimmy sings and performs better on Miss America than JY!!! August of course was amazing with Man in the Wilderness. For me, I always liked Superstars. With this line-up, the harmonies on all the songs really stand out. That's what made Styx in the day special, the harmonies and the variety of leads on each album.

Quite a few people came from all over to see this show. All positive reviews and this wasn't just from the die-hards.

Here is the set-list:

7-7-2017

Grand Illusion
Fooling Yourself
Superstars
Come Sail Away
Miss America
Man in the Wilderness
Castle Walls
Grand Finale

Intermission

Lady
Lorelei
Blue Collar Man
Mr. Roboto
Too Much Time
Suite Madame Blue - one of the BEST songs live ever
Babe

Renegade
Best of Times

It was different to hear Come Sail Away as song #4 instead of an encore song.
Suite Madame Blue
SuiteMadameBlue
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:45 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:It was a GREAT show, just amazing! This type of concert you have to see in person, the videos don't do justice, however, thank goodness there's video's out there. The Grand Illusion, no breaks, just kept going.

In MY opinion, Jimmy sings and performs better on Miss America than JY!!! August of course was amazing with Man in the Wilderness. For me, I always liked Superstars. With this line-up, the harmonies on all the songs really stand out. That's what made Styx in the day special, the harmonies and the variety of leads on each album.

Quite a few people came from all over to see this show. All positive reviews and this wasn't just from the die-hards.

Here is the set-list:

7-7-2017

Grand Illusion
Fooling Yourself
Superstars
Come Sail Away
Miss America
Man in the Wilderness
Castle Walls
Grand Finale

Intermission

Lady
Lorelei
Blue Collar Man
Mr. Roboto
Too Much Time
Suite Madame Blue - one of the BEST songs live ever
Babe

Renegade
Best of Times

I would have really wanted to go to this show but it just wasn't possible for me. Again, I really think DDY should have set up to record this event. From the video I could see that the audience really responded to this type of show. The harmonies that DDY's band are able to create seem to be faithful to the originals. This is something that I think the current Styx has a hard time doing.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:45 am

SuiteMadameBlue wrote:

I attended a show during Styx's GI/PoE tour. A few seats near us remained empty until about 3/4 of the way through the show. Overheard the people complaining that they didn't play Come Sail Away afterward. Made me laugh.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:29 am

Archetype wrote:
I attended a show during Styx's GI/PoE tour. A few seats near us remained empty until about 3/4 of the way through the show. Overheard the people complaining that they didn't play Come Sail Away afterward. Made me laugh.

The word clueless comes to mind. Also I think it shows the perspective of the "casual fan".
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:15 pm

The same thing hapened when Rush started opening their shows with Tom Sawyer. Fans who were late thought they didn't play it!
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby LtVanish » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:52 am

The show was fantastic, I really enjoyed it. I like hearing Come Sail Away in the beginning of the set, it really helps mix up the show I think, makes it less of the same old same old sort of feeling. Dennis is planning on revisiting The Grand Illusion Show on Dec. 16th at the Star Plaza Theatre Show in Merrillville IN. This will be the next to last show ever at the Star Plaza as they are going to tear the place down in January 2018 which is a major crime and loss.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 am

Would have loved to go to this.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby pinkfloyd1973 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:11 am

LtVanish wrote:The show was fantastic, I really enjoyed it. I like hearing Come Sail Away in the beginning of the set, it really helps mix up the show I think, makes it less of the same old same old sort of feeling. Dennis is planning on revisiting The Grand Illusion Show on Dec. 16th at the Star Plaza Theatre Show in Merrillville IN. This will be the next to last show ever at the Star Plaza as they are going to tear the place down in January 2018 which is a major crime and loss.

Yeah, that totally sucks that the Star Plaza will be no more....hope to go to that show :(
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
pinkfloyd1973
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Here's a much better clip of Superstars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCV9mdtNPo
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Return to Styx