Billboard Chart Week 3 - Gone, Gone, Gone...

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Billboard Chart Week 3 - Gone, Gone, Gone...

Postby Toph » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:32 pm

After two weeks on the chart, the Mission falls out. Musically, speaking and taking the personalities out of it, its actually a pretty good album (my review is finally almost done). The marketing was good. But they have to keep the momentum up - additional appearances, an actual single, more shows. Does anyone know why there is a break in the touring schedule this week? I was thinking they were going to use this week for national TV/radio appearances, but haven't seen anything. I wouldn't have built in a break this week of all weeks unless they had national PR plans - they need to be out touring on this thing.
Toph
Stereo LP

Re: Billboard Chart Week 3 - Gone, Gone, Gone...

Postby yogi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:27 pm

I actually agree with ALMOST everything Toph says here.

The Mission is a GREAT album. Start to finish its cohesive, and I literally like everything about it. It does NOT have the voice that drew me to Styx in the first place on it, but whats great is I can still hear DDY since he's also still out there making music and touring with a great band of his own. I know they need to play the hits but they need to get out there by themselves play this thing front to back and play their hits in act ll.

Here is what Styx has become in my opinion. My favorite band by far right now is Dream Theater. 1 hit total in their career. But what they do is they put out new music every two years and they tour the hell out of their material. Their last 4 albums all opened in the Billboard top 10, week 2 they stayed in the top 200 and by week 3 or 4 they were gone.

So damn what. They put out great material, their fans worldwide love them and they can sell out 1000 to 3500 venues by themselves.

DDY and his band, DDY reunited with Styx, Styx now, Journey.......... would have a better chance of each member getting struck by lightening at the same time in different locations then they will to get a hit single at this point in time. But what they can do now is put out great music for the fans. Music that will last forever. Dream Theater had back to back songs on consecutive albums nominated for Grammy's because their music is GREAT.

Styx and DDY and his band have a bunch of superstar musicians assembled together. They can both do this until they decide to hang it up.

Styx just put out a FANTASTIC album. Thats it nothing more nothing less. I just hope DDY does the same and it repeats every other year or so.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Archetype » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:38 am

Two weeks on the billboard charts, almost 200k views for the Gone Gone Gone video and regularly playing live for audiences of thousands. It's really hard to deny that many bands out there would kill for this level of success. The Mission is a great album.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:57 am

Archetype wrote:Two weeks on the billboard charts, almost 200k views for the Gone Gone Gone video and regularly playing live for audiences of thousands. It's really hard to deny that many bands out there would kill for this level of success. The Mission is a great album.

I agree....look at Journey. They come off the HOF induction, along with Perry essentially passing the torch to Arnel, and all of that press....and no album in sight. Horrible.

How many copies of The Mission have so far sold?
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Return to Styx