Buckingham-McVie vs. The Mission

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Buckingham-McVie vs. The Mission

Postby Toph » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 am

If you haven't taken a listen to Buckingham-McVie, you should. It sounds exactly like Fleetwood Mac circa early 1980s. Seems that there is a trend of these bands trying to sound like their classic sound. I like the trend and hope it continues. I think with that Journey Eclipse, Cyclorama, etc. bands were trying to sound different from their classic selves. Glad the pendulum has swung back to sounding like the sound that people love.
Toph
Stereo LP

Re: Buckingham-McVie vs. The Mission

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:03 am

Toph wrote:If you haven't taken a listen to Buckingham-McVie, you should. It sounds exactly like Fleetwood Mac circa early 1980s. Seems that there is a trend of these bands trying to sound like their classic sound. I like the trend and hope it continues. I think with that Journey Eclipse, Cyclorama, etc. bands were trying to sound different from their classic selves. Glad the pendulum has swung back to sounding like the sound that people love.

Agree, I like the B/Mc album. It was to be a Fleetwood Mac album but Stevie wanted no part of it. The rest of the band is on the album.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:59 am

The album is great, could of been released before or right after Tusk and you would never know the difference, other than production, which sounds great. I was able to catch their show in Chicago on July 3rd. They played almost the entire album, plus a bunch of other Fleetwood Mac and Buckingham solo tunes. It was a great show! I love all the Lindsey Buckingham Solo albums he truly is a unique song writer.

Set List:

Trouble
(Lindsey Buckingham cover)
Wish You Were Here
Never Going Back Again
Shut Us Down
(Lindsey Buckingham cover)
Sleeping Around the Corner
Feel About You
In My World
Too Far Gone
Hold Me
Little Lies
Tusk
Love Is Here to Stay
Red Sun
You Make Loving Fun
I'm So Afraid
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
Everywhere
Lay Down for Free
Game of Pretend
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:28 pm

This and the new Styx album were the two I most eagerly anticipated this year. I'm thinking my expectations were higher for the Buckingham McVie effort because I wasn't overly impressed or pleasantly surprised like I was completely by The Mission. I feel like Buckingham played it too safe. His songs are too radio friendly and have no edge to them. McVie, on the other hand has a couple of songs (yes I know LB co-wrote on some if her songs) that are a bit edgy. My favorite of hers are Carnival Begin and Game of Pretend. Even Too Far Gone takes some chances. I was disappointed that LB really didn't cut loose on guitar except on maybe a couple of songs. He's such an amazing guitarist I just expected something different. It's still good, but just doesn't impress like Styx did.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Return to Styx