Nothing Ever Goes As Planned Live (Dennis DeYoung)

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Nothing Ever Goes As Planned Live (Dennis DeYoung)

Postby Kilroy1983 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGbavY7pMlc
(Song Starts at 3:36)

Nothing Ever Goes As Planned (Dennis DeYoung and VooDoo Pin Band)
Played live on 7-9-2017 at konows farm, homer glen,il - "hoedown for hodgkin's - a benefit for allison bolhuis".

Lead Vocal: Dennis DeYoung
Guitar / Vocal: August Zadra
Guitar / Vocal: Dan Jeslis
Guitar: Dave Heaster
Bass: Jim Major
Drums: Matt DeYoung
Kilroy1983
Ol' 78

Re: Nothing Ever Goes As Planned Live (Dennis DeYoung)

Postby gr8dane » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:33 am

Did I hear, 'Shut up,I am talking to you".?
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:40 am

That was REALLY bad.

I'm sorry but it was.

Was Dennis reading the lyrics from a napkin, surrounded by discarded furniture and barrels of whiskey???

Extra Bad
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Monker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:15 pm

yogi wrote:That was REALLY bad.

I'm sorry but it was.

Was Dennis reading the lyrics from a napkin, surrounded by discarded furniture and barrels of whiskey???

Extra Bad

Looks like some kinda private birthday party for his niece. It seemed very much just thrown together.

But, aside from the scenery...Dennis' voice sounded bad...first time I have heard him where he sounds like he couldn't hit the notes and was in a lower key. In fact, he questioned the key before the song started...asking the band to adjust to "his key". Maybe he needed more warm up time, or something.

I definitely think it was more for his niece and the people in the room...and was NOT meant for the wider audience of the internet.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:52 pm

I'm sorry but it was.

Extra Bad

Embarrassing
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:47 am

Obviously off the cuff with very little or no rehearsal at all. Certainly not a professional band backing him except for August. Looks bad because one is used to seeing a polished product. Shows that have been well rehearsed and production elements in place. Seems that DDY did it as a request. Obviously he hadn't performed that song since recording it for PT. Now you can see why a lot of artists don't really like taking requests. Reminds me of some the videos of Tommy's Border's "tour" for 7DZ.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby brywool » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:31 am

Come on, they're just screwing around.
This is the lame part of Youtube - it puts everyone's stuff out there, even if it was just a goof off session or just an off the cuff performance. What we hear from this guy's cell phone is the front mix. What the band is hearing (or not) is completely different. Dennis said he can't hear himself (he says as much about 4 times). He also says he hasn't done the tune in 20 years (most likely longer). I doubt he's also listened to it much after that either and probably forgot how it goes in spots (which happens without rehearsals).
For peeps here to hold this up as "wow, Dennis can't cut it" is just ridiculous.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Toph » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:34 am

ChicagoSTYX wrote:

I'm sorry but it was.

Extra Bad

Embarrassing

And what a fucking asshole you and Yogi both are. This is a fucking benefit for his niece who has CANCER asswipe. It was a spur of the moment performance of a song she liked as a little girl being taped on a cell phone. And you have the audacity to be critical? Go tell Shaw to play "Never Say Never" off the cuff and see how that goes. Get a life.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Toph wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:

I'm sorry but it was.

Extra Bad

Embarrassing

And what a fucking asshole you and Yogi both are. This is a fucking benefit for his niece who has CANCER asswipe. It was a spur of the moment performance of a song she liked as a little girl being taped on a cell phone. And you have the audacity to be critical? Go tell Shaw to play "Never Say Never" off the cuff and see how that goes. Get a life.

I bet he could at least sing the song in the original key.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby ChicagoSTYX » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:33 pm

Toph wrote:
ChicagoSTYX wrote:

I'm sorry but it was.

Extra Bad

Embarrassing

If that's the case then I can understand the performance being so bad. It's a shame that most people who see this video won't know the back story and think this is a real show.
STYX new Album coming in 2017
ChicagoSTYX
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Monker wrote:

Oh, that's rich..Yeah, DDY not singing things in the original key. Give your ears a tune up buddy. All his shit is done in the original key. Can't say the same thing for Tommy Shaw
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:51 am

I didnt know the back story at all . Sorry

I mean that.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:24 am

Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:

Oh, that's rich..Yeah, DDY not singing things in the original key. Give your ears a tune up buddy. All his shit is done in the original key. Can't say the same thing for Tommy Shaw

I think he was commenting on DDY questioning the key they were going to play the song in and it being the key he originally wrote the song in. You can clearly hear DDY asking about that in the video while getting ready to do it.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:59 am

The purse swinging is getting a little out of hand.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby LtVanish » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 am

Let's talk about the song, I think it sounds great Live, love the guitars replacing the horns. I hope we get to see Dennis do this in a proper set sometime.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 am

If that's the case then I can understand the performance being so bad. It's a shame that most people who see this video won't know the back story and think this is a real show.

If anyone sees that video and thinks it's a "real" show, they've already completely invalidated their opinions by virtue of stupidity. It's very obviously informal and off the cuff and sort of looks like it's taking place at someone's house.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:10 am

LtVanish wrote:Let's talk about the song, I think it sounds great Live, love the guitars replacing the horns. I hope we get to see Dennis do this in a proper set sometime.

It should get more love - it was the third pop single of Paradise, and went to #54 on the Hot 100.

There is a cadre of mid chart Dennis Hits that have never seen the light of day. Why Me (#27), NEGAP (#54), High Time (#48), Music Time (#40), and Love At First Sight (#25). Any of these could be lifted out of the mothballs and added into a solo show.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:43 am

Toph wrote:
LtVanish wrote:Let's talk about the song, I think it sounds great Live, love the guitars replacing the horns. I hope we get to see Dennis do this in a proper set sometime.

It should get more love - it was the third pop single of Paradise, and went to #54 on the Hot 100.

There is a cadre of mid chart Dennis Hits that have never seen the light of day. Why Me (#27), NEGAP (#54), High Time (#48), Music Time (#40), and Love At First Sight (#25). Any of these could be lifted out of the mothballs and added into a solo show.

Love At First Sight is a tremendously underappreciated Styx track. It would be great is Dennis dusts it off for his shows.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:

I think he was commenting on DDY questioning the key they were going to play the song in and it being the key he originally wrote the song in. You can clearly hear DDY asking about that in the video while getting ready to do it.

Yep...he was walking around asking if the band could adjust to his key. He was obviously worried about it.

He did NOT sing that song in the original key. He knew he wasn't going to...and he sounds way off.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Toph » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Monker wrote:[

Yep...he was walking around asking if the band could adjust to his key. He was obviously worried about it.

He did NOT sing that song in the original key. He knew he wasn't going to...and he sounds way off.

One song that he hasn't sung in how many years?

Since Shaw has adjusted almost all of his songs a 1/2 step down, maybe you should start worrying about your idol not being able to handle it. Too much blow and heroin I guess.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Toph wrote:

Since Shaw has adjusted almost all of his songs a 1/2 step down, maybe you should start worrying about your idol not being able to handle it. Too much blow and heroin I guess.

This topic has nothing to do with Tommy Shaw.

Dennis dropped the key in this song. He KNEW he was going to do it and was worried about how it would sound with the band and asked them to adjust to his vocals. And, he sounded like crap. That's just the way it is. Get over it and your hatred of Tommy Shaw.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Toph » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:07 am

Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:

Dennis dropped the key in this song. He KNEW he was going to do it and was worried about how it would sound with the band and asked them to adjust to his vocals. And, he sounded like crap. That's just the way it is. Get over it and your hatred of Tommy Shaw.

My dislike of Tommy Shaw is nothing compared your utter hatred of Dennis DeYoung. Sorry he was more successful than your boy Tommy.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:44 am

Monker wrote:
Toph wrote:
Monker wrote:

Good Lord. People are making something out of nothing here. It is clearly obvious, that this was NOT a planned performance. Dennis was doing this on the fly as a request for his niece. He and the band obviously did not have ANY rehearsals together prior to doing the song. It's clear that Dennis hasn't visited this song since he recorded it for the album. He even had to WRITE the lyrics down to do it. Add to that it wasn't his OWN band performing it. People are trying to compare this to a PLANNED performance. We all know that artists do several rehearsals prior to performing concerts. That is NOT what was being done here. This wasn't something that was meant for public consumption. It was a special request. Someone there just happened to put it out there.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:11 am

yeh I agree with all of that, that it shouldn't be judged like a normal performance......but with that said, I did find it somewhat surprising that even with the lyrics written down that he seemed to have trouble remembering the actual melody to the song. that was a bit strange.

but with that said, I always loved the song and if his actual band worked it up and they rehearsed it, I think it would be a great live song and a real treat to long time fans.
masque
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:33 pm

masque wrote:yeh I agree with all of that, that it shouldn't be judged like a normal performance......but with that said, I did find it somewhat surprising that even with the lyrics written down that he seemed to have trouble remembering the actual melody to the song. that was a bit strange.

but with that said, I always loved the song and if his actual band worked it up and they rehearsed it, I think it would be a great live song and a real treat to long time fans.

When do think DDY last thought, sang or listened to that song? It's clear by his comments in the video he doesn't really think much of the song. Under the circumstances, I say it takes some balls to even attempt doing what he did.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:06 am

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:yeh I agree with all of that, that it shouldn't be judged like a normal performance......but with that said, I did find it somewhat surprising that even with the lyrics written down that he seemed to have trouble remembering the actual melody to the song. that was a bit strange.

When do think DDY last thought, sang or listened to that song? It's clear by his comments in the video he doesn't really think much of the song. Under the circumstances, I say it takes some balls to even attempt doing what he did.

boom, i dont know if you are a musician or not.....I am and have been for over 35 years. I have been involved in writing over 200 songs in my lifetime.......I am NOTORIOUS for not being able to remember lyrics to my own songs or songs I have co written......but I have never really struggled to actually remember the song enough to recall the actual melody to it. that's all I am saying......i'm not flaming the guy, i just think it strange that even with the lyrics written down that he sounded like he struggled to actually remember the melody to the song.

and this is not some obscure song that never made an album or some obscure song that appears on serpent is rising or something. this is side one, cut 3 of their only #1 album they ever released. that's a fairly significant placement of a song for a band like styx. so I'm just surprised by it.

and to specifically answer your question......it sounds like he hasn't sang, thought or listened to that song since it was mixed and released in 1981.....lol
masque
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:23 am

masque wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

boom, i dont know if you are a musician or not.....I am and have been for over 35 years. I have been involved in writing over 200 songs in my lifetime.......I am NOTORIOUS for not being able to remember lyrics to my own songs or songs I have co written......but I have never really struggled to actually remember the song enough to recall the actual melody to it. that's all I am saying......i'm not flaming the guy, i just think it strange that even with the lyrics written down that he sounded like he struggled to actually remember the melody to the song.

and this is not some obscure song that never made an album or some obscure song that appears on serpent is rising or something. this is side one, cut 3 of their only #1 album they ever released. that's a fairly significant placement of a song for a band like styx. so I'm just surprised by it.

and to specifically answer your question......it sounds like he hasn't sang, thought or listened to that song since it was mixed and released in 1981.....lol

I'm pretty sure that Dennis hasn't ever thought about the song again since singing it in the studio. It has never been performed live before until this impromptu performance
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby FormerDJMike » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:35 am

Actually they did perform it early into the Paradise tour. Only a few times. I have a boot of it somewhere. Haven't heard it in years I'll have to look and see if I can find it but I'll admit I'm busy lately and don't know when I will have time to look for it.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:52 am

masque wrote:boom, i dont know if you are a musician or not.....I am and have been for over 35 years. I have been involved in writing over 200 songs in my lifetime.......I am NOTORIOUS for not being able to remember lyrics to my own songs or songs I have co written......but I have never really struggled to actually remember the song enough to recall the actual melody to it. that's all I am saying......i'm not flaming the guy, i just think it strange that even with the lyrics written down that he sounded like he struggled to actually remember the melody to the song.

Frankly this subject is getting way more attention then it deserves.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby masque » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:25 am

Boomchild wrote:
masque wrote:boom, i dont know if you are a musician or not.....I am and have been for over 35 years. I have been involved in writing over 200 songs in my lifetime.......I am NOTORIOUS for not being able to remember lyrics to my own songs or songs I have co written......but I have never really struggled to actually remember the song enough to recall the actual melody to it. that's all I am saying......i'm not flaming the guy, i just think it strange that even with the lyrics written down that he sounded like he struggled to actually remember the melody to the song.

Frankly this subject is getting way more attention then it deserves.

I agree.....my comments were no big deal at all to me. you asked a question of me, I felt obliged to be courteous and and answer.
masque
8 Track

Next

Return to Styx