Styx on classic rewind

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:51 am

They just played Blue Collar Man and then the DJ brought up The Mission. Said "if you haven't heard it, you must not be a Styx fan. It's really good."
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:17 pm

I think clarification is required on his statement. Does he mean current Styx or old Styx?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:12 am

Styx is Styx. There is and only ever has been one Styx
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:01 am

Archetype wrote:Styx is Styx. There is and only ever has been one Styx


I am sure from the perspective of some but not everyone.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby LtVanish » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:37 am

I hate XM radio, they do this all the time, mention about a classic bands new album, then go on to play a song they play 3 times a day. How about playing one of the songs from the mission in the rotation? Nope, they play the same 250 songs over and over and over. they are just as bad as Fm radio.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
User avatar
LtVanish
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:39 pm

I actually thought the same thing. They're plugging the new album so why not play a track from it? But considering the landscape of radio for "classic" bands, I'm just happy that The Mission was even mentioned
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby gr8dane » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Boomchild wrote:I think clarification is required on his statement. Does he mean current Styx or old Styx?



Clarification must be your middle name. :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby gr8dane » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:04 pm

LtVanish wrote:I hate XM radio, they do this all the time, mention about a classic bands new album, then go on to play a song they play 3 times a day. How about playing one of the songs from the mission in the rotation? Nope, they play the same 250 songs over and over and over. they are just as bad as Fm radio.


Reason I rarely listen to radio anymore.It's my last choice for music.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Toph » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 am

Archetype wrote:Styx is Styx. There is and only ever has been one Styx


Bullshit
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:59 am

Toph wrote:
Archetype wrote:Styx is Styx. There is and only ever has been one Styx


Bullshit



Nope. Verifiable fact. Anything to the contrary is just delusion
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby gr8dane » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 pm

Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:
Archetype wrote:Styx is Styx. There is and only ever has been one Styx


Bullshit



Nope. Verifiable fact. Anything to the contrary is just delusion


Toph is right for once.According to rateyourmusic.com,there were at least another 3 or 4 bands called Styx. :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:54 am

Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:
Archetype wrote:Styx is Styx. There is and only ever has been one Styx


Bullshit



Nope. Verifiable fact. Anything to the contrary is just delusion


This is called playing semantics. Sure the band's name never changed. But the bands personnel has. Over 50%. I don't count CP since his participation is so limited at this point.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:32 am

Boomchild wrote:
This is called playing semantics. Sure the band's name never changed. But the bands personnel has. Over 50%. I don't count CP since his participation is so limited at this point.


Personnel changes happen in companies all the time. The companies remain the same company. Whether or not you still like said said company has no bearing on the fact that it's still the same company.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 am

Archetype wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Personnel changes happen in companies all the time. The companies remain the same company. Whether or not you still like said said company has no bearing on the fact that it's still the same company.


Again playing with semantics. A band isn't just a name. It artists that comprise the band that makes what the band is. Otherwise, you could put anyone up on stage and say it's the same band.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby FormerDJMike » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:31 am

Is The Who still The Who? Roger and Pete are all the remain. Is Foreigner still Foreigner? Molly Hatchet, who at one time a few years ago had no original members? Skynyrd? Ratt? Yes? Asia? Reunited Van Halen without Michael Anthony? Kiss?
User avatar
FormerDJMike
8 Track
 
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Somewhere In America

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:50 am

FormerDJMike wrote:Is The Who still The Who? Roger and Pete are all the remain. Is Foreigner still Foreigner? Molly Hatchet, who at one time a few years ago had no original members? Skynyrd? Ratt? Yes? Asia? Reunited Van Halen without Michael Anthony? Kiss?


With bands it varies depending on the situation. A band is more then it's name. In the case of Styx, three out of the five members that comprised Styx for the majority of it's existence are no longer in the band. As I said, I don't count CP because he really just makes "cameo" appearances. To quote JY himself, "For me, this is the best version of Styx ever". Which implies there were OTHER versions of the band.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:46 am

Two of the three "primary" members of the band remain. The rhythm section has been substantially upgraded. The missing "primary" member has been replaced by a tremendously talented and entertaining gentleman. Styx is Styx.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby yogi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Gonna chime in on this.

John Panozzo died, Styx replaced Dennis, and when Chuck Panozzo wants to play he plays with Styx. JY was more or less an orginal member, and Tommy Shaw was hired to replace John Cureuleski who no longer wanted to be in the band. Tommy was hired at the same time the band switched labels and that is when the band skyrocketed and became a HUGE force in rock & roll.

To summarize. You cant control a death. When the brother of the deceased wants to play he plays in the band that he co -founded with his brother & Dennis. JY and Tommy are still with the band and Dennis is the only member really replaced.

As much as I love Dennis, Styx is still Styx.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:12 am

Archetype wrote:Two of the three "primary" members of the band remain. The rhythm section has been substantially upgraded. The missing "primary" member has been replaced by a tremendously talented and entertaining gentleman. Styx is Styx.


Thank you for pointing out that less then 50% of what comprised Styx through the majority of it's existence remains. Artists make up a band. The name itself doesn't. Again JY stated that this is a VERSION of Styx. That in itself implies this is NOT the same band and that an another one existed. It's straight from "the horses mouth" and you still debate the point.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:35 am

I don't subscribe to JY's line of thinking. His role is that of an interested party who wants his organization to make as much money as possible- thus he's taking some liberties to convince people to buy concert tickets. Looking at it from a correct language perspective, there's no "version." Just the name Styx. Sam Walton is dead, but Walmart is still Walmart, right?
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 am

Archetype wrote:I don't subscribe to JY's line of thinking. His role is that of an interested party who wants his organization to make as much money as possible- thus he's taking some liberties to convince people to buy concert tickets. Looking at it from a correct language perspective, there's no "version." Just the name Styx. Sam Walton is dead, but Walmart is still Walmart, right?


Well of course you don't subscribe to JY's "line of thinking", because it goes directly against your position. Nice try. But his position is more credible. I'll take the point from someone who is part of what we are talking about over a bystander. As far as your Walmart reference, Walmart isn't a musical act. You want to compare apples to oranges to support your position.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:I don't subscribe to JY's line of thinking. His role is that of an interested party who wants his organization to make as much money as possible- thus he's taking some liberties to convince people to buy concert tickets. Looking at it from a correct language perspective, there's no "version." Just the name Styx. Sam Walton is dead, but Walmart is still Walmart, right?


Well of course you don't subscribe to JY's "line of thinking", because it goes directly against your position. Nice try. But his position is more credible. I'll take the point from someone who is part of what we are talking about over a bystander. As far as your Walmart reference, Walmart isn't a musical act. You want to compare apples to oranges to support your position.


Styx is Styx. Musicians, like any other type of worker, are replaceable.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:20 am

Archetype wrote:
Styx is Styx. Musicians, like any other type of worker, are replaceable.


Except when when your dealing with artists. They shape what the band is. Of course they are replaceable. But that doesn't mean the band is the same as it was before. Except in NAME only. Again you dismiss and ignore a founding band member's statement which is the current Styx is a different VERSION OF THE BAND.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:09 am

He worded that line poorly when he said it. Styx is Styx.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:46 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:Two of the three "primary" members of the band remain. The rhythm section has been substantially upgraded. The missing "primary" member has been replaced by a tremendously talented and entertaining gentleman. Styx is Styx.


Thank you for pointing out that less then 50% of what comprised Styx through the majority of it's existence remains. Artists make up a band. The name itself doesn't. Again JY stated that this is a VERSION of Styx. That in itself implies this is NOT the same band and that an another one existed. It's straight from "the horses mouth" and you still debate the point.


If you look at Styx's biggest studio albums (Gold+), here are the lineups that created them

Styx II, Equinox - DDY, CP, JP, JC, JY
CB, GI, Po8, Cornerstone, PT, Kilroy - DDY, CP, JP, TS, JY
Edge - DDY, GB, CP, JP, JY
RTP - DDY, TS, CP, JY, TS

The current lineup has yet to produce a gold album. The current lineup has yet to land a song on the charts. The current lineup is not Styx. Arguably, the band that featured Glen Burtnik is closer to Styx than the current version, because at least that lineup had mainstream success. Same with JC.

Today's lineup features 5 players. 2 of those individuals were part of the albums above (Yes, Todd was on RTP, but that was a live album of songs he never played song when they were recorded). I don't count Chuck because he comes out for like 2 songs every once in a while.

This lineup is not Styx.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:48 am

Archetype wrote:He worded that line poorly when he said it. Styx is Styx.


If DeYoung had won the rights to the band name and was touring as Styx and JY and Tommy were touring as "the TS and JY band," would you then argue that Dennis DeYoung's band was Styx?
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:37 am

Archetype wrote:He worded that line poorly when he said it. Styx is Styx.


Sure, since it deflates your point. Again, I'll take the point of someone who is actually doing it. Somehow I think JY thinks quite a bit before he speaks.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:50 am

When Chuck plays he plays with Styx. There can not be an argument about John because he has passed.

3 of the 4 surviving members play with Styx.

IMO Dennis is the TRUE superstar of the band BUT he is no longer with them. Also you can add that the ONLY two members to appear on EVERY Styx album are JY and Chuck. To my knowledge JY is the ONLY member to play live at EVERY Styx concert.

The Mission is an album that is 100% true to the Styx sound and name. Its a really good album performed by Styx.

Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera no longer play for the New York Yankees yet the Yankees are still playing tonight. Some say when they played it was the best rendition of the Yankees ever. Mickey Mantle & Lou Gerig may argue against that statement.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:13 am

Toph wrote:
Archetype wrote:He worded that line poorly when he said it. Styx is Styx.


If DeYoung had won the rights to the band name and was touring as Styx and JY and Tommy were touring as "the TS and JY band," would you then argue that Dennis DeYoung's band was Styx?


Yes I would argue that the Styx corporation is Styx, regardless of which employees remain employed there. So if Dennis had the name Styx, but had different employees, it would still be Styx. As for the comment about a Gold+ record, it's completely moot for two reasons: First, very few bands that hit it big decades ago are still releasing gold+ records. It's the nature of the industry and popular culture. Unless you're The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, U2 or Metallica, odds are you aren't going to be releasing any Gold or better records this late in your career. They could be, and often are musically excellent, but they still won't fare well commercially because they're being released by dinosaur acts from the average person's perspective. Many of Styx's peers have released albums well past their heyday. Aside from Journey, who manipulated the numbers by releasing a three-disc set and had a tear-jerker rags to riches story for their lead singer to boot, not a single one of has had commercial success with their more recent releases. I don't think Journey's Eclipse ever even reached gold because it was a single disc and the rags to riches tear jerker story had faded out of public interest. Kevin Cronin still sings for REO Speedwagon, but Find Your Own Way Home flopped commercially.

Secondly, many excellent and globally respected bands have never seen a Gold or better award for one of their records. Bands like Kamelot, Symphony X, Nightwish and Evergrey are lucky to sell a few dozen thousand records in the USA, but their music is absolutely unquestionably excellent by many diverse standards. Since I brought up Nightwish, they've had three vastly different lead singers, but people don't ever doubt that the band is Nightwish. The same goes for Styx. Kamelot has had two. Both singers are/were excellent. The same goes for Styx.

And finally, the only reason Chuck Panozzo doesn't play full time with Styx is because of his health. He would play with Styx full time if his health allowed, and Styx would be happy to have him. So saying he "doesn't count" is just asinine and grasping at straws.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Cassie May » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:50 pm

yogi wrote:When Chuck plays he plays with Styx. There can not be an argument about John because he has passed.

3 of the 4 surviving members play with Styx.

IMO Dennis is the TRUE superstar of the band BUT he is no longer with them. Also you can add that the ONLY two members to appear on EVERY Styx album are JY and Chuck. To my knowledge JY is the ONLY member to play live at EVERY Styx concert.

The Mission is an album that is 100% true to the Styx sound and name. Its a really good album performed by Styx.

Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera no longer play for the New York Yankees yet the Yankees are still playing tonight. Some say when they played it was the best rendition of the Yankees ever. Mickey Mantle & Lou Gerig may argue against that statement.


Actually, JY missed a few shows a few years ago when his wife was really sick. The band just played without him but with his blessing. There are videos on YouTube.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
User avatar
Cassie May
45 RPM
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:46 am
Location: North, South, East, or West of you.

Next

Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests