Styx on classic rewind

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:46 am

Archetype wrote:
Yes I would argue that the Styx corporation is Styx, regardless of which employees remain employed there. So if Dennis had the name Styx, but had different employees, it would still be Styx.


Here is the issue with your position. Fans really don't look to what makes a band by their articles of incorporation. Fans look at it from what musicians comprise a band. Fan really could care less about how a band is structured from a legal standpoint. Again even JY acknowledges that STYX as it exists now is a different version of the band. And yet here we are debating the subject. Even if DDY would have secured the right to the name and he was the only person left from what has been largely known as Styx the band, I wouldn't consider it Styx either. Even so, I would doubt DDY would ever do such a thing based on his comments as to what made Styx the band that it was.

Archetype wrote:And finally, the only reason Chuck Panozzo doesn't play full time with Styx is because of his health. He would play with Styx full time if his health allowed, and Styx would be happy to have him. So saying he "doesn't count" is just asinine and grasping at straws.


The point is not about what has caused CP's extremely minimal participation in the band. If this was a another type of business you could say that CP is mostly a "silent partner" now. If I were to guess the percentage of shows CP participates in, I would say it's 1% or close to it. Even then, he is only playing on one to two songs. So in reality he is in retirement from the band. Which brings up another question. Of the songs on "The Mission" how many was CP the bassist?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5698
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:58 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:
Yes I would argue that the Styx corporation is Styx, regardless of which employees remain employed there. So if Dennis had the name Styx, but had different employees, it would still be Styx.


Here is the issue with your position. Fans really don't look to what makes a band by their articles of incorporation. Fans look at it from what musicians comprise a band. Fan really could care less about how a band is structured from a legal standpoint. Again even JY acknowledges that STYX as it exists now is a different version of the band. And yet here we are debating the subject. Even if DDY would have secured the right to the name and he was the only person left from what has been largely known as Styx the band, I wouldn't consider it Styx either. Even so, I would doubt DDY would ever do such a thing based on his comments as to what made Styx the band that it was.

Archetype wrote:And finally, the only reason Chuck Panozzo doesn't play full time with Styx is because of his health. He would play with Styx full time if his health allowed, and Styx would be happy to have him. So saying he "doesn't count" is just asinine and grasping at straws.


The point is not about what has caused CP's extremely minimal participation in the band. If this was a another type of business you could say that CP is mostly a "silent partner" now. If I were to guess the percentage of shows CP participates in, I would say it's 1% or close to it. Even then, he is only playing on one to two songs. So in reality he is in retirement from the band. Which brings up another question. Of the songs on "The Mission" how many was CP the bassist?


Chuck has been with the band every single time I've seen them from 2005-onward. He appears to have been present at almost every single concert this summer. Styx is Styx. Three of the four surviving members of the "classic lineup" are in stage together on almost any given night.

JY has made comments on the effect that he has never been happier in the band or on the road before. It's like your office getting rid of an employee who you couldn't stand and replacing them with someone you really get along with. But you're still employed by the same office, yes?
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:02 am

Archetype wrote:
Chuck has been with the band every single time I've seen them from 2005-onward. He appears to have been present at almost every single concert this summer. Styx is Styx. Three of the four surviving members of the "classic lineup" are in stage together on almost any given night.


Your experience does not represent the whole. Somehow I doubt he was showing up at to all the dates on the tour to play two songs. Furthermore, Chuck stated in the BTM episode that his participation in the band was "limited". I see you ignored the question about how many songs he played bass on "The Mission" album.



Archetype wrote:JY has made comments on the effect that he has never been happier in the band or on the road before. It's like your office getting rid of an employee who you couldn't stand and replacing them with someone you really get along with. But you're still employed by the same office, yes?


WRONG. His response was to the quality of their shows and not personality issues. In your earlier post you said "I don't subscribe to JY's line of thinking". So at that point you thought his comment was about a version of the band. Please make up your mind.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5698
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:16 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:
Chuck has been with the band every single time I've seen them from 2005-onward. He appears to have been present at almost every single concert this summer. Styx is Styx. Three of the four surviving members of the "classic lineup" are in stage together on almost any given night.


Your experience does not represent the whole. Somehow I doubt he was showing up at to all the dates on the tour to play two songs. Furthermore, Chuck stated in the BTM episode that his participation in the band was "limited". I see you ignored the question about how many songs he played bass on "The Mission" album.



Archetype wrote:JY has made comments on the effect that he has never been happier in the band or on the road before. It's like your office getting rid of an employee who you couldn't stand and replacing them with someone you really get along with. But you're still employed by the same office, yes?


WRONG. His response was to the quality of their shows and not personality issues. In your earlier post you said "I don't subscribe to JY's line of thinking". So at that point you thought his comment was about a version of the band. Please make up your mind.


Chuck played on Hundred Million Miles From Home. There's isn't a single Styx release out there that he hasn't appeared on. The behind the music episode was shot when Chuck's health was just about at its worst. Cancer and HIV. Since recovering to an extent, his participation has been vastly more common, even if it's only for three songs (the most his health will allow). He has done entire tours more than once since really "turning a corner" health-wise around 2005.

As per the JY, comments, I've already explained why his "version" comment was a little silly, and am referring to other statements he made about being in and touring with the band since DDY was fired.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 am

The fact that three of the four surviving members of the classic lineup are on the road together regularly is the clearest possible indicator that Styx is still Styx. And Todd Sucherman was signed off on, so to speak, by John Panozzo before John's death, making Todd more than just a hired gun.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:42 am

Archetype wrote:The fact that three of the four surviving members of the classic lineup are on the road together regularly is the clearest possible indicator that Styx is still Styx. And Todd Sucherman was signed off on, so to speak, by John Panozzo before John's death, making Todd more than just a hired gun.


Check the records. I'm sure you will find that Todd, Ricky and Gowan are not partners but employees. Since you kept bringing up the legal aspects of things. That is what you call hired guns. BTW, where is it published that JP gave his blessing?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5698
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 am

Archetype wrote:Chuck played on Hundred Million Miles From Home. There's isn't a single Styx release out there that he hasn't appeared on. The behind the music episode was shot when Chuck's health was just about at its worst. Cancer and HIV. Since recovering to an extent, his participation has been vastly more common, even if it's only for three songs (the most his health will allow). He has done entire tours more than once since really "turning a corner" health-wise around 2005.


You can barely call it on stage together when one of them plays two to three songs and played on one single track on their latest release.

Archetype wrote:As per the JY, comments, I've already explained why his "version" comment was a little silly, and am referring to other statements he made about being in and touring with the band since DDY was fired.


Whether you think his comment is silly or not is irrelevant. But keep trying to dismiss it in order to support your point. The reality is he stated that this is a DIFFERENT VERSION of Styx. There is no debate on that.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5698
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:20 am

Styx Is Styx
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby yogi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:21 am

I've seen Styx 3 times between 2009 - 2015. Chuck played in all three concerts. I know he was out there everytime for Fooling Yourself. Also I believe everytime for Miss America and also Crystal Ball ( once or twice). Maybe more than those songs If I remember correctly he might of also played on Come Sail Away once and also Renegade where I think I remember him throwing out some guitar pics at the shows conclusion.

The fact of the matter is though he is still on board with Styx. I wish he would make a few appearances with Dennis. He seems to no longer have any ill will towards him. I'm sure that Dennis would welcome him with open arms.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:08 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:The fact that three of the four surviving members of the classic lineup are on the road together regularly is the clearest possible indicator that Styx is still Styx. And Todd Sucherman was signed off on, so to speak, by John Panozzo before John's death, making Todd more than just a hired gun.


Check the records. I'm sure you will find that Todd, Ricky and Gowan are not partners but employees. Since you kept bringing up the legal aspects of things. That is what you call hired guns. BTW, where is it published that JP gave his blessing?



Have you read Chuck's book?
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:30 am

Archetype wrote:
Have you read Chuck's book?


Parts of it. If you are stating this is your source for Todd getting John's "blessing", then I won't refute it. Because that doesn't change the point. Which is Todd is a replacement. it also doesn't change the fact that Todd, Ricky and Gowan are employees and not partners. So the term "hired guns" stands. It also doesn't change or effect JY's statement which you continue to try and apply a meaning to it that doesn't exist. Sorry but further pontificating on this subject is not worth the time and effort.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5698
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby gr8dane » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:31 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:
Have you read Chuck's book?


Sorry but further pontificating on this subject is not worth the time and effort.


Lollies.Ahh,come on ,clarify some more. :lol: :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
User avatar
gr8dane
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2545
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: Zoltar 7

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Toph » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Archetype wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:The fact that three of the four surviving members of the classic lineup are on the road together regularly is the clearest possible indicator that Styx is still Styx. And Todd Sucherman was signed off on, so to speak, by John Panozzo before John's death, making Todd more than just a hired gun.


Check the records. I'm sure you will find that Todd, Ricky and Gowan are not partners but employees. Since you kept bringing up the legal aspects of things. That is what you call hired guns. BTW, where is it published that JP gave his blessing?



Have you read Chuck's book?


Chuck is bitter with Dennis because he didn't get writing credit because he suggested that Roll Me Away become Show Me the Way. And he wanted 50% writing credit for that! Uh, Chuckie boy, you didn't write the melody or the lyrics. You were credited exactly as you should have been "Thanks for Chuck for inspiration on Show Me The Way"

Chuck plays 2 songs, if he plays at all. He's not a member.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Archetype » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:03 am

Every time I've seen Styx after 2005, Chuck has played on Fooling Yourself, Renegade and Come Sail Away. He is definitely a member of the band. Troy Donockley doesn't play on every Nightwish song, but no one disputes that he's a full-fledged member of the band. The same goes for Chuck. I don't have any doubt that Chuck would be playing on every song if his health allowed. Going on stage every night is a lot to ask of an HIV positive cancer survivor, but he spends about 25 or so minutes on stage almost every night Styx plays. He's a member. That's not disputable. He also appears in every single Styx record. That can't be said for Dennis DeYoung or Tommy Shaw.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Boomchild » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:11 am

Toph wrote:Chuck is bitter with Dennis because he didn't get writing credit because he suggested that Roll Me Away become Show Me the Way. And he wanted 50% writing credit for that! Uh, Chuckie boy, you didn't write the melody or the lyrics. You were credited exactly as you should have been "Thanks for Chuck for inspiration on Show Me The Way"


I think it goes a little deeper then just this one song. From reading Sterling's book I got the sense that CP was bothered by the additional money other members of the band were making from the song writing credits. Especially Dennis.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5698
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby sbsugar » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:51 pm

yogi wrote:Gonna chime in on this.

John Panozzo died, Styx replaced Dennis, and when Chuck Panozzo wants to play he plays with Styx. JY was more or less an orginal member, and Tommy Shaw was hired to replace John Cureuleski who no longer wanted to be in the band. Tommy was hired at the same time the band switched labels and that is when the band skyrocketed and became a HUGE force in rock & roll.

To summarize. You cant control a death. When the brother of the deceased wants to play he plays in the band that he co -founded with his brother & Dennis. JY and Tommy are still with the band and Dennis is the only member really replaced.

As much as I love Dennis, Styx is still Styx.


Can't believe no-one has called Yogi on this. John C was still in the band when they switched to A&M and recorded Equinox...
User avatar
sbsugar
Fresh Air
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm
Location: Camden, TN

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Toph » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:Chuck is bitter with Dennis because he didn't get writing credit because he suggested that Roll Me Away become Show Me the Way. And he wanted 50% writing credit for that! Uh, Chuckie boy, you didn't write the melody or the lyrics. You were credited exactly as you should have been "Thanks for Chuck for inspiration on Show Me The Way"


I think it goes a little deeper then just this one song. From reading Sterling's book I got the sense that CP was bothered by the additional money other members of the band were making from the song writing credits. Especially Dennis.


Not the songwriter's fault that Chuck doesn't have talent for writing. No offense,but Chuck is lucky to be where he is. He rode that horse a long time as a middling bass player.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby Toph » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:20 pm

sbsugar wrote:
yogi wrote:Gonna chime in on this.

John Panozzo died, Styx replaced Dennis, and when Chuck Panozzo wants to play he plays with Styx. JY was more or less an orginal member, and Tommy Shaw was hired to replace John Cureuleski who no longer wanted to be in the band. Tommy was hired at the same time the band switched labels and that is when the band skyrocketed and became a HUGE force in rock & roll.

To summarize. You cant control a death. When the brother of the deceased wants to play he plays in the band that he co -founded with his brother & Dennis. JY and Tommy are still with the band and Dennis is the only member really replaced.

As much as I love Dennis, Styx is still Styx.


Can't believe no-one has called Yogi on this. John C was still in the band when they switched to A&M and recorded Equinox...


the fact of the matter is that they had already had 1 top 10 single and a pretty big album with Equinox before Shaw joined. His joining might have expanded their musical horizon some, but to say its a direct causation to massive success has always been an exaggerated point. Its far different than say, Perry with Journey.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby yogi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:48 am

[quote="sbsugar"][quote="yogi"]Gonna chime in on this.

John Panozzo died, Styx replaced Dennis, and when Chuck Panozzo wants to play he plays with Styx. JY was more or less an orginal member, and Tommy Shaw was hired to replace John Cureuleski who no longer wanted to be in the band.[b][i] Tommy was hired at the same time the band switched labels[/i][/b] and that is when the band skyrocketed and became a HUGE force in rock & roll.

To summarize. You cant control a death. When the brother of the deceased wants to play he plays in the band that he co -founded with his brother & Dennis. JY and Tommy are still with the band and Dennis is the only member really replaced.

As much as I love Dennis, Styx is still Styx.[/quote]

Can't believe no-one has called Yogi on this. John C was still in the band when they switched to A&M and recorded [i]Equinox[/i]...[/quote]





You are 100% correct that John C. was one of Styxs 3 singers and their guitarist when my FAVORITE Styx album Equinox was recorded for the A&M label. He then quit the band and Tommy Shaw replaced him for the tour and beyond.

Not to be rude but your point was???
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby sbsugar » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:32 pm

yogi wrote:
sbsugar wrote:
yogi wrote:Gonna chime in on this.

John Panozzo died, Styx replaced Dennis, and when Chuck Panozzo wants to play he plays with Styx. JY was more or less an orginal member, and Tommy Shaw was hired to replace John Cureuleski who no longer wanted to be in the band. Tommy was hired at the same time the band switched labels and that is when the band skyrocketed and became a HUGE force in rock & roll.

To summarize. You cant control a death. When the brother of the deceased wants to play he plays in the band that he co -founded with his brother & Dennis. JY and Tommy are still with the band and Dennis is the only member really replaced.

As much as I love Dennis, Styx is still Styx.


Can't believe no-one has called Yogi on this. John C was still in the band when they switched to A&M and recorded Equinox...






You are 100% correct that John C. was one of Styxs 3 singers and their guitarist when my FAVORITE Styx album Equinox was recorded for the A&M label. He then quit the band and Tommy Shaw replaced him for the tour and beyond.

Not to be rude but your point was???


Wow, I even bolded it for you and everything - You said "Tommy was hired at the same time the band switched labels" And unless they switched labels between Equinox and Crystal Ball, your statement is incorrect. Just an observation.
User avatar
sbsugar
Fresh Air
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm
Location: Camden, TN

Re: Styx on classic rewind

Postby yogi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 am

You are correct. I worded it wrong.
yogi
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Previous

Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest