DDY wants one last tour with original members

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

DDY wants one last tour with original members

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:49 am

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/dennis-d ... x-reunion/

No big surprise here, still would be nice though.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Re: DDY wants one last tour with original members

Postby ztyxlynne » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:12 am

With the new Mission album out and the success of it I dont see why they would. This is Tommys band now. 10 15 years ago maybe. They seem to happy to go backwards.

What I am hoping for is maybe for the 2 camps to at least talk. Reconcile the differences. DDY to walk on a Styx stage and sing a song, Chuck to walk on DDY,s stage to play bass. Tommy and Dennis to write a song maybe.

Now of it where for the money, is there enough interest in them doing it? Would they milk the cash cow 1 more time????
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby Greg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:38 am

I would be all for it!
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:47 am

So would I. Let Lawerence come out and play A Criminal Mind, plus some Mission material. Hell you could even bring Glen in for a short set.

What an awesome concert that would be. There is soooooo damn much talent in that band. Dear John is a must play. Do it Tommy , JY, etc....

Life is too short.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:44 am

They two wanted to continue making rock records, while DeYoung wanted to take the band into a more pop direction with epic storytelling.

This is editorializing. That's is not what DDY has said. He has mentioned several times that he wanted to go back to straight rock albums after KWH. His contention has always been not to put restraints on what types of songs the band could do. He wasn't looking to make Styx a "Pop" band.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby ztyxlynne » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:44 am

With all the fighting in bands now, example Journey, it wpukd be cool to see Styx get along.
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Postby yogi » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:31 am

[quote="Boomchild"][quote]They two wanted to continue making rock records, while DeYoung wanted to take the band into a more pop direction with epic storytelling.[/quote]

This is editorializing. That's is not what DDY has said. He has mentioned several times that he wanted to go back to straight rock albums after KWH. His contention has always been not to put restraints on what types of songs the band could do. He wasn't looking to make Styx a "Pop" band.[/quote]

Maybe so but then he comes up with Hip Hop,Fallen Angel , Great Expectations and a song off of his Hunchback play for Brave New World. Then he follows it up with the broadway sounding My God Can Beat Up Your god. Not to argue but he was not rocking in the slightest at that point.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:46 am

yogi wrote:
Maybe so but then he comes up with Hip Hop,Fallen Angel , Great Expectations and a song off of his Hunchback play for Brave New World. Then he follows it up with the broadway sounding My God Can Beat Up Your god. Not to argue but he was not rocking in the slightest at that point.

As Dennis said, over time each of them started to "fill a role" in the band. He would come up with material that would be radio or single friendly, JY would come up with material that would be more hard edge and Tommy would come up with melodic sorts of things. Dennis always looked at Styx as band that had diverse musical styles. He said that it was their different musical influences that brought the best out of each one of them.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:46 am

ztyxlynne wrote:With the new Mission album out and the success of it I dont see why they would. This is Tommys band now. 10 15 years ago maybe. They seem to happy to go backwards.

I was thinking the same thing. There's really no chance in the near future with a new album to tour on.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:54 am

yogi wrote:So would I. Let Lawerence come out and play A Criminal Mind, plus some Mission material. Hell you could even bring Glen in for a short set.

What an awesome concert that would be. There is soooooo damn much talent in that band. Dear John is a must play. Do it Tommy , JY, etc....

Life is too short.

What would Dennis be doing while Gowan was out on stage? As much as he would like to play again with Styx I can't see him wanting it that way as it seems doubtful LG would be thrilled with it. Seems not at all plausible.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Boomchild » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:What would Dennis be doing while Gowan was out on stage? As much as he would like to play again with Styx I can't see him wanting it that way as it seems doubtful LG would be thrilled with it. Seems not at all plausible.

I could not see that either. Only if it was a one off appearance with DDY. Gowan on keys. Something like RNR Hall of Fame performance. But judging by JY and Tommy's comments even something like that isn't possible.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Cassie May » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:57 am

I know I'll get lynched for this, but the last time I checked, it is still a free country and one in which I can express an opinion, and it is this:

I'm really tired of DDY coming out every year with a new interview in which he expresses his desire to return to the band. All he succeeds in doing is stirring up the fan base. This has exploded all over several different Facebook pages,with lots and lots of comments. What is really interesting is that a larger percentage of fans don't want him back. The comments have been an interesting read. I personally feel that he had his chance in 96 and in 97. It's over and quit whining about it.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:22 pm

Cassie May wrote:I know I'll get lynched for this, but the last time I checked, it is still a free country and one in which I can express an opinion, and it is this:

I'm really tired of DDY coming out every year with a new interview in which he expresses his desire to return to the band. All he succeeds in doing is stirring up the fan base. This has exploded all over several different Facebook pages,with lots and lots of comments. What is really interesting is that a larger percentage of fans don't want him back. The comments have been an interesting read. I personally feel that he had his chance in 96 and in 97. It's over and quit whining about it.

Personally I could care less if they were able to reunite. It's apparent they do not need each other anymore to earn a living. So in my opinion there is no point to it.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:00 pm

Cassie May wrote:I know I'll get lynched for this, but the last time I checked, it is still a free country and one in which I can express an opinion, and it is this:

Yes, that's true. It's not as if I'm gonna attack anyone and call them stupid. We're all entitled to our opinion. It's all in the way it's expressed. And I agree with Boomchild that it'd only ever be a one off performance.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Toph » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:12 pm

Give me a fucking break.

How about Tommy and asshole JY erasing Dennis from the website? taking his likeness of something that promotes Grand Illusion's 40th anniversary and replacing him with Gowan? If anyone seeks to antagonize the fans, its Tommy and the asshole.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Please state the study that you are referencing that shows a larger percentage of fans don't want him back. Another bullshit lie by Cassie.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:15 pm

I will say this. If by some grace of God, they somehow make it into the hall of fame, they better figure out a way to stand up there together. The RnR HOF will induct - DDY, TS, JY, CP, and JP. No one else. Look at Journey - it was only the players who were involved during their glory years that got in. If Arnel Pineda didn't get in, no way in hell Lawrence Gowan or Ricky Phillips or Todd Sucherman do.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:38 am

Toph wrote:

Please state the study that you are referencing that shows a larger percentage of fans don't want him back. Another bullshit lie by Cassie.

I looked at the comments on ultimate classic rock's Facebook page under the article. Cassie is right in saying that the majority of them indicate that they don't want Dennis to come back. While not a conclusive study (of which there will never be), her observation is correct.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Cassie May » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:55 am

Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:

I looked at the comments on ultimate classic rock's Facebook page under the article. Cassie is right in saying that the majority of them indicate that they don't want Dennis to come back. While not a conclusive study (of which there will never be), her observation is correct.

Thank you, Archetype.

I looked at three different pages on Facebook: Ultimate Classic Rock, Styx (fan page), and TS fan page. (I also looked at Styx' official page and DDY's official page, and this is not being debated on either one.) There are hundreds and hundreds of comments between those three pages, and while I did not count each one and make lists for and against, the majority does indicate NO. Call me a liar all you want, Toph, but the evidence is in black and white and is not fake. By the way, did you vote for Trump?
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:49 am

Toph wrote:I will say this. If by some grace of God, they somehow make it into the hall of fame, they better figure out a way to stand up there together. The RnR HOF will induct - DDY, TS, JY, CP, and JP. No one else. Look at Journey - it was only the players who were involved during their glory years that got in. If Arnel Pineda didn't get in, no way in hell Lawrence Gowan or Ricky Phillips or Todd Sucherman do.

Do you pay attention to what is posted in this forum? Someone talked about a recent interview JY and TS did with Eddie Trunk where they discussed a HOF induction. Both TS and JY said they would have no problem sharing the the stage with DDY to accept the award. But that is as far as they are willing to go with it. Meaning that they have no interest in doing any performances with him.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:53 am

Cassie May wrote:I looked at three different pages on Facebook: Ultimate Classic Rock, Styx (fan page), and TS fan page. (I also looked at Styx' official page and DDY's official page, and this is not being debated on either one.) There are hundreds and hundreds of comments between those three pages, and while I did not count each one and make lists for and against, the majority does indicate NO. Call me a liar all you want, Toph, but the evidence is in black and white and is not fake. By the way, did you vote for Trump?

Is it possible to stay on topic and NOT bring the subject of current politics into it? What is your point with that question anyway?
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Cassie May » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:02 am

Boomchild wrote:
Cassie May wrote:I looked at three different pages on Facebook: Ultimate Classic Rock, Styx (fan page), and TS fan page. (I also looked at Styx' official page and DDY's official page, and this is not being debated on either one.) There are hundreds and hundreds of comments between those three pages, and while I did not count each one and make lists for and against, the majority does indicate NO. Call me a liar all you want, Toph, but the evidence is in black and white and is not fake. By the way, did you vote for Trump?

Is it possible to stay on topic and NOT bring the subject of current politics into it? What is your point with that question anyway?

The automatic and absolute denial of information that is easily ascertained and verifiable reminded me of another equally fervent fan base.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 am

Cassie May wrote:The automatic and absolute denial of information that is easily ascertained and verifiable reminded me of another equally fervent fan base.

Well aren't you special.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Styx earns an extremely comfortable living doing what they're doing. They play to thousands every night. The Mission has turned out to be a profitable success for them. A lot of bands would kill to have what they have. They all get along very well to point where it's not totally uncommon for them to be at each other's houses as shown by their use of social media. All of this tells me that they see no reason to bring Dennis back and all of the inevitable grief.

I'll continue to enjoy Styx and Dennis as their own entities.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:32 am

Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:

Uh, no. A segment of a few fans on Classic Rock Facebook page does not represent the general public. Both you and Cassie need a class on statistics.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:35 am

Cassie May wrote:
Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:

Thank you, Archetype.

I looked at three different pages on Facebook: Ultimate Classic Rock, Styx (fan page), and TS fan page. (I also looked at Styx' official page and DDY's official page, and this is not being debated on either one.) There are hundreds and hundreds of comments between those three pages, and while I did not count each one and make lists for and against, the majority does indicate NO. Call me a liar all you want, Toph, but the evidence is in black and white and is not fake. By the way, did you vote for Trump?

No Cassie. Sorry, but you continue to make yourself look like an idiot everytime you post this drivel. Tommy Shaw's page? Yeah, that's not biased. Those are the bathwater drinkers like yourself. Styx page - those are the hardcore bathwater drinkers again and don't represent the people like myself who are no longer fans because of the way asshole and coke head treated Dennis. Again, provide me a representative sample of music fans - not the bathwater drinkers.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:36 am

Boomchild wrote:

She's an idiot. And not, I didn't vote for Trump not that has anything to do with the price of tea in China.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:36 am

Cassie May wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

The automatic and absolute denial of information that is easily ascertained and verifiable reminded me of another equally fervent fan base.

Cassie, I think you may be overdosing on the bathwater.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:37 am

Archetype wrote:Styx earns an extremely comfortable living doing what they're doing. They play to thousands every night. The Mission has turned out to be a profitable success for them. A lot of bands would kill to have what they have. They all get along very well to point where it's not totally uncommon for them to be at each other's houses as shown by their use of social media. All of this tells me that they see no reason to bring Dennis back and all of the inevitable grief.

They are basically saying FUCK YOU to the fans. Nice guys. Go do some blow, Tommy.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:51 am

Cassie May wrote:

I just looked at the Ultimate Classic Rock Facebook page and, Cassie, you are full of shit.
Toph
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Styx