DDY wants one last tour with original members

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DDY wants one last tour with original members

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:If Dennis wants to be part of a band so badly, why doesn't he start a band? Why doesn't he at least make his current group of musicians equal partners?

What Dennis wants is be back in the band he was in for most of his life. Not just any band.

Dennis DeYoung stands about as good of chance of getting back in Styx as Dave Mustaine does of getting back in Metallica. Instead of wasting his life trying to get back in Styx, he should just start a new band.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Greg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:47 am

Archetype wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:If Dennis wants to be part of a band so badly, why doesn't he start a band? Why doesn't he at least make his current group of musicians equal partners?

What Dennis wants is be back in the band he was in for most of his life. Not just any band.

Dennis DeYoung stands about as good of chance of getting back in Styx as Dave Mustaine does of getting back in Metallica. Instead of wasting his life trying to get back in Styx, he should just start a new band.

I will say, I was watching concert footage of DeYoung back in 2014. Not too long ago. Holy Cow! He sounds sooooo good! Perfect, actually! I'm thinking to myself, Styx would be foolish not to want to have one last tour, maybe even album, with Dennis. I realize there are rabid Styx fans who will vehemently disagree, and that's OK. I love The Mission and Gowan is doing a fantastic job. But holy cow, I couldn't get over DD and the fact that the man at the time was 67 years old (now around 70) and still sounds as good as he did when he was in his 20's and 30's. Amazing!

In a way, though, I kind of like the idea of having him release his own material and have Styx release their material. Almost feel like you get a two for one deal. If Journey splits into two different bands, and Perry actually does release new material, then I'll feel like I have three Journeys to feed me music. Sometimes, it's not a bad thing for bands to split up.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:55 am

Dennis is a great singer, keyboardist and songwriter. No doubt about it. I would enjoy seeing him in concert with Styx, but it's absolutely not going to happen. He currently has a great band and appears to be working on an album. He ought to focus on those two things, put his absolute best foot forward. and stop whining about not being in Styx. They do not want him back. I'm happy to enjoy both bands touring on Styx music for their own unique reasons.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:59 am

Archetype wrote:Dennis DeYoung stands about as good of chance of getting back in Styx as Dave Mustaine does of getting back in Metallica. Instead of wasting his life trying to get back in Styx, he should just start a new band.

No shit Sherlock, tell us something we don't know. Dennis has only been expressing his viewpoint and opinions on the matter when asked about the situation. He clearly is aware of and has stated many times that "it's not up to him". I doubt he has ever tried to reach out to any of his former band mates directly. Your comment comes off as you think Dennis has been sitting at home all this time just waiting for "the call". Which couldn't be further from the truth. He has been actively doing shows with a excellent group of musicians. He is also actively working on his next album. Frankly, I think some fans think more about this subject on a regular basis then he even does.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:07 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:Dennis DeYoung stands about as good of chance of getting back in Styx as Dave Mustaine does of getting back in Metallica. Instead of wasting his life trying to get back in Styx, he should just start a new band.

No shit Sherlock, tell us something we don't know. Dennis has only been expressing his viewpoint and opinions on the matter when asked about the situation. He clearly is aware of and has stated many times that "it's not up to him". I doubt he has ever tried to reach out to any of his former band mates directly. Your comment comes off as you think Dennis has been sitting at home all this time just waiting for "the call". Which couldn't be further from the truth. He has been actively doing shows with a excellent group of musicians. He is also actively working on his next album. Frankly, I think some fans think more about this subject on a regular basis then he even does.

Read the post I made right before you made this one.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:31 am

Archetype wrote:Read the post I made right before you made this one.

I did. My comment was for the one I replied to. It doesn't change the point THAT commnent made it sound as if DDY was just "waiting around".
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:Read the post I made right before you made this one.

I did. My comment was for the one I replied to. It doesn't change the point THAT commnent made it sound as if DDY was just "waiting around".

As far as being in a band goes, which he desperately seems to want, he is just "waiting around." He will never be in a band with equal partners again unless he forms one or joins one other than Styx. Those are his options. He can either take them, or never be in a band again. All the whining about desperately wanting to be in a band and never wanting to be a solo artist will never get him in Styx, so he'll have to explore other avenues.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:08 am

Archetype wrote:As far as being in a band goes, which he desperately seems to want, he is just "waiting around." He will never be in a band with equal partners again unless he forms one or joins one other than Styx. Those are his options. He can either take them, or never be in a band again. All the whining about desperately wanting to be in a band and never wanting to be a solo artist will never get him in Styx, so he'll have to explore other avenues.

All he has done, is RESPONDED to the question when asked about the situation. He hasn't made ANY unsolicited comments or posted such on his FB page or his website. As I said, it is others that have been bringing up the subject WAY MORE then he has. Especially in this forum.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Zan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:31 pm

ztyxlynne wrote:With all the fighting in bands now, example Journey, it wpukd be cool to see Styx get along.

They do now.
Better than ever, in fact.
-Zan :)

believe me, i know my Styx

Shiny things
Zan
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:55 am

Context to the comments about "one last tour." Hmmm.....Where have I heard those reasons stated before? #tophisrightagain
http://www.houstonseagle.com/comesailaway/
Toph
Stereo LP

Previous

Return to Styx