DDY wants one last tour with original members

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: DDY wants one last tour with original members

Postby yogi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:08 am

I voted for Trump. Would of voted for him twice if I could have, and will surely vote for him again.

Gotta love Styx and OUR President!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Archetype » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Toph wrote:
Uh, no. A segment of a few fans on Classic Rock Facebook page does not represent the general public. Both you and Cassie need a class on statistics.

Neither of us ever said it was a statistically verified conclusion. It was clearly stated what was observed and where it was observed. There weren't any mentions of statistics. You're bringing dynamics into the discussion that weren't there. The fact remains that the very vast majority of hundreds of contributors stated that they didn't want Dennis to return. Try not to read into that more that what's written, and you'll do a lot better.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Toph wrote:
Archetype wrote:Styx earns an extremely comfortable living doing what they're doing. They play to thousands every night. The Mission has turned out to be a profitable success for them. A lot of bands would kill to have what they have. They all get along very well to point where it's not totally uncommon for them to be at each other's houses as shown by their use of social media. All of this tells me that they see no reason to bring Dennis back and all of the inevitable grief.

They are basically saying FUCK YOU to the fans. Nice guys. Go do some blow, Tommy.

No they're not. The fans continue to see them in concert by the hundreds of thousands. They're free not to attend if they don't want to and feel like they're being told "fuck you," but apparently they're still attending concerts and buying albums. The band members aren't required to work with who you want them to work with. Does Tommy Shaw have the right to dictate to you who you have to hire and work with? Why do you think you can to him?
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Toph wrote:
I just looked at the Ultimate Classic Rock Facebook page and, Cassie, you are full of shit.

What did you specifically find when looking at it?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Cassie May » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 pm

[quote Toph]

No Cassie. Sorry, but you continue to make yourself look like an idiot everytime you post this drivel. Tommy Shaw's page? Yeah, that's not biased. Those are the bathwater drinkers like yourself. Styx page - those are the hardcore bathwater drinkers again and don't represent the people like myself who are no longer fans because of the way asshole and coke head treated Dennis. Again, provide me a representative sample of music fans - not the bathwater drinkers.[/quote]

All I'm going to add to this is that all those comments are far more representative of what fans in general are thinking (based upon the sheer numbers of those who commented) than the ten or so people on this board. And thank you, Toph, for being so nice to a fellow human being. I love getting my daily dose of self-worth from you. Have a nice day.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:23 am

Cassie May wrote:All I'm going to add to this is that all those comments are far more representative of what fans in general are thinking (based upon the sheer numbers of those who commented) than the ten or so people on this board. And thank you, Toph, for being so nice to a fellow human being. I love getting my daily dose of self-worth from you. Have a nice day.

The problem with assertions like this is that postings and comments on the internet are thought of always being a true representation. Furthermore if you think that it is only members of this forum that hold a certain opinion or position, you are most likely mistaken.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:09 am

It's very unlikely that Styx would see any substantial increase in ticket and album sales if DDY was brought back. REO Speedwagon still has Kevin Cronin and they're not doing any better than Styx with Lawrence. The very vast majority of people just don't care. The music sounds good, so they will keep buying concert tickets.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:38 am

I for one would love to see Dennis join the current band for a tour and perhaps another album.

I cant speak for OUR President but I'm sure that he would also be on board for that too.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby gr8dane » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:33 am

Didn't somebody here post a JY Tommy interview, a couple of weeks ago,where they were asked about Dennis back?
They were pretty clear, it was not going to happen.
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:36 am

Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Cassie May wrote:I looked at three different pages on Facebook: Ultimate Classic Rock, Styx (fan page), and TS fan page. (I also looked at Styx' official page and DDY's official page, and this is not being debated on either one.) There are hundreds and hundreds of comments between those three pages, and while I did not count each one and make lists for and against, the majority does indicate NO. Call me a liar all you want, Toph, but the evidence is in black and white and is not fake. By the way, did you vote for Trump?

Is it possible to stay on topic and NOT bring the subject of current politics into it? What is your point with that question anyway?

She's an idiot. And not, I didn't vote for Trump not that has anything to do with the price of tea in China.

That depends on if Trump goes to war with China.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Toph » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Archetype wrote:It's very unlikely that Styx would see any substantial increase in ticket and album sales if DDY was brought back. REO Speedwagon still has Kevin Cronin and they're not doing any better than Styx with Lawrence. The very vast majority of people just don't care. The music sounds good, so they will keep buying concert tickets.

You don't understand marketing. They would do much better than a split 3-bill where they are second act 50% of the time. And then when they do a Styx only show, it's back to 1500 seat theaters and county fares.

You do a "Dennis is Back! Farewell Tour" and put a little advertising behind it and you would be able to play major arenas/amphitheaters as the main act. A reunion gets you on Fallon (recreate the TMTOMH video with Dennis and Tommy), gets you on Today, gets you on a number of big time national TV programs.

This tour would not a shared thing, mind you, but you'd be the act. You might get a smaller opening act and do a major tour in 40-50 cities in the U.S. It becomes a true greatest hits tour. And by greatest hits I mean EVERYTHING. Roboto, Best of Times, Show Me The Way, Babe, DLIE, Boat, some lost classics like Castle Walls and Pieces of Eight. Big 25 song set.

A bit different than the 10-11 song, hour long sets you've been playing with 1/2 the audience there for REO Speedwagon.

This becomes your last push to get into the RRHOF. You show your relevance 40 years later and the hall notices.

Or you can keep doing the same old same old. Who are we going to tour with next summer for our 1 hour show? Bad Company? Night Ranger? Foreigner? Or maybe we'll be the opening act for Def Leppard again.....
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Cassie May wrote:[quote Toph]

No Cassie. Sorry, but you continue to make yourself look like an idiot everytime you post this drivel. Tommy Shaw's page? Yeah, that's not biased. Those are the bathwater drinkers like yourself. Styx page - those are the hardcore bathwater drinkers again and don't represent the people like myself who are no longer fans because of the way asshole and coke head treated Dennis. Again, provide me a representative sample of music fans - not the bathwater drinkers.

All I'm going to add to this is that all those comments are far more representative of what fans in general are thinking (based upon the sheer numbers of those who commented) than the ten or so people on this board. And thank you, Toph, for being so nice to a fellow human being. I love getting my daily dose of self-worth from you. Have a nice day.[/quote]

there are just as many postings that say that Styx isn't Styx without Dennis, Gowan sucks, cover band, etc. in those threads. Sorry, you are offended by my calling you out, but if you put put bullshit, I'm taking you to task.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:51 pm

Toph wrote:
Archetype wrote:It's very unlikely that Styx would see any substantial increase in ticket and album sales if DDY was brought back. REO Speedwagon still has Kevin Cronin and they're not doing any better than Styx with Lawrence. The very vast majority of people just don't care. The music sounds good, so they will keep buying concert tickets.

You don't understand marketing. They would do much better than a split 3-bill where they are second act 50% of the time. And then when they do a Styx only show, it's back to 1500 seat theaters and county fares.

You do a "Dennis is Back! Farewell Tour" and put a little advertising behind it and you would be able to play major arenas/amphitheaters as the main act. A reunion gets you on Fallon (recreate the TMTOMH video with Dennis and Tommy), gets you on Today, gets you on a number of big time national TV programs.

This tour would not a shared thing, mind you, but you'd be the act. You might get a smaller opening act and do a major tour in 40-50 cities in the U.S. It becomes a true greatest hits tour. And by greatest hits I mean EVERYTHING. Roboto, Best of Times, Show Me The Way, Babe, DLIE, Boat, some lost classics like Castle Walls and Pieces of Eight. Big 25 song set.

A bit different than the 10-11 song, hour long sets you've been playing with 1/2 the audience there for REO Speedwagon.

This becomes your last push to get into the RRHOF. You show your relevance 40 years later and the hall notices.

Or you can keep doing the same old same old. Who are we going to tour with next summer for our 1 hour show? Bad Company? Night Ranger? Foreigner? Or maybe we'll be the opening act for Def Leppard again.....

If Tommy ,JY and Chuck is not interested in all that stuff you are dreaming about,just got to show what a prick Dennis must have been.All the stuff you ridicule is fine for Styx.They are playing for the ones who goes to their shows,and not the whinos who are complaining from home from their computers.Oh by the way ,I don't want Dennis back in Styx. :lol: Let's keep Styx,Babe and Dennis free. :lol: :D :lol:
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:25 am

Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:34 am

gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:

If Tommy ,JY and Chuck is not interested in all that stuff you are dreaming about,just got to show what a prick Dennis must have been.All the stuff you ridicule is fine for Styx.They are playing for the ones who goes to their shows,and not the whinos who are complaining from home from their computers.Oh by the way ,I don't want Dennis back in Styx. :lol: Let's keep Styx,Babe and Dennis free. :lol: :D :lol:

So I guess when you play the Styx Greatest Hits CD, you only can listen to 5 songs. That must suck.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:52 am

Anybody who prefers Dennis out of Styx cannot be a true fan. At least not of Styx from 72-99. Just the current incarnation. If they reunited and things were good between the members how could you not want him back??? Makes absolutely no sense.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:00 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Anybody who prefers Dennis out of Styx cannot be a true fan. At least not of Styx from 72-99. Just the current incarnation. If they reunited and things were good between the members how could you not want him back??? Makes absolutely no sense.

Things won't be good between the members. Tommy and JY have made it abundantly clear as recently as a few weeks ago that they do not want to work with Dennis ever again.

I'm a huge fan of Dennis both in and out of Styx, but accept the reality that the other Styx members do not want him back.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:02 am

Toph wrote:

This is a pipe dream. Even if Dennis were to return, they would continue to play package tours or smaller amphitheaters if they tour by themselves. It's not 1996 anymore. Even by 1997, they were playing smaller venues to less than sold out crowds. And they had Kansas playing with them in 1996.
Last edited by Archetype on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:04 am

Toph wrote:
Cassie May wrote:[quote Toph]

No Cassie. Sorry, but you continue to make yourself look like an idiot everytime you post this drivel. Tommy Shaw's page? Yeah, that's not biased. Those are the bathwater drinkers like yourself. Styx page - those are the hardcore bathwater drinkers again and don't represent the people like myself who are no longer fans because of the way asshole and coke head treated Dennis. Again, provide me a representative sample of music fans - not the bathwater drinkers.

All I'm going to add to this is that all those comments are far more representative of what fans in general are thinking (based upon the sheer numbers of those who commented) than the ten or so people on this board. And thank you, Toph, for being so nice to a fellow human being. I love getting my daily dose of self-worth from you. Have a nice day.

there are just as many postings that say that Styx isn't Styx without Dennis, Gowan sucks, cover band, etc. in those threads. Sorry, you are offended by my calling you out, but if you put put bullshit, I'm taking you to task.[/quote]

You're wrong. You're not taking anyone to task. You're just trying to be a dick. I saw the same thing Cassie saw.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:18 am

[/quote]Toph.So I guess when you play the Styx Greatest Hits CD, you only can listen to 5 songs. That must suck.[quote]

Let me put it this way.If I had only heard Styx Greatest,I would not have been a Styx fan.Believe it or not,but their hits are probably my least favourite of their songs.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:56 am

Archetype wrote:This is a pipe dream. Even if Dennis were to return, they would continue to play package tours or smaller amphitheaters if they tour by themselves. It's not 1996 anymore. Even by 1997, they were playing smaller venues to less than sold out crowds. And they had Kansas playing with them in 1996.

If Dennis was to return, I would bet that he wouldn't want to be doing multi billed shows. I would also doubt he wouldn't want to be doing as many shows as they currently are. Tommy and JY seem to be OK riding tour buses. Somehow I doubt DDY still wants to do that.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:38 am

Toph wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zvxd2QTWTU

This guy has done multiple videos on this subject. He never discusses or defends his position in the comments section. In fact he has now gone to disabling the comments section with this most recent video.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:50 am

gr8dane wrote:
Toph.So I guess when you play the Styx Greatest Hits CD, you only can listen to 5 songs. That must suck.

Let me put it this way.If I had only heard Styx Greatest,I would not have been a Styx fan.Believe it or not,but their hits are probably my least favourite of their songs.

You don't understand. Your personal preferences don't mean shit.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:54 am

Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:

This is a pipe dream. Even if Dennis were to return, they would continue to play package tours or smaller amphitheaters if they tour by themselves. It's not 1996 anymore. Even by 1997, they were playing smaller venues to less than sold out crowds. And they had Kansas playing with them in 1996.

Wow, I am amazed at the ignorance of some of you. You just are really not that bright. The reason that they didn't sell out crowds in 97 was that they had just toured the year before at many of the same places. Remember, the original plan was NOT to tour in 1997. Dennis did that as a favor to a member who needed financial help - either to treat one member's AIDS issues or payoff the drug habit of another member.

The full lineup has not been together in 20 years. That would be a big deal and newsworthy.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:14 am

Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:
Toph.So I guess when you play the Styx Greatest Hits CD, you only can listen to 5 songs. That must suck.

Maybe not.But what I do understand,is,Dennis got sacked and I love it.
Obviously Dennis was an ass,and the other guys did something about it. :lol:
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:33 am

Archetype wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:Anybody who prefers Dennis out of Styx cannot be a true fan. At least not of Styx from 72-99. Just the current incarnation. If they reunited and things were good between the members how could you not want him back??? Makes absolutely no sense.

Things won't be good between the members. Tommy and JY have made it abundantly clear as recently as a few weeks ago that they do not want to work with Dennis ever again.

I'm a huge fan of Dennis both in and out of Styx, but accept the reality that the other Styx members do not want him back.

I totally accept reality. Doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer Dennis back. Just the same as in the early 90's I preferred Tommy back. I know it won't happen, but IMO DDY is irreplaceable. Just like Tommy.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:54 am

gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
gr8dane wrote:

Maybe not.But what I do understand,is,Dennis got sacked and I love it.
Obviously Dennis was an ass,and the other guys did something about it. :lol:

You're clearly not a Styx fan. You're a fan of Coke-head and asshole.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby gr8dane » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:59 am

[/quote]You're clearly not a Styx fan. You're a fan of Coke-head and asshole.[quote]

Yep,that guy who you are so desperate, to take Dennis back. :wink: :wink: :lol:
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:01 pm

If Dennis wants to be part of a band so badly, why doesn't he start a band? Why doesn't he at least make his current group of musicians equal partners?
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Archetype wrote:If Dennis wants to be part of a band so badly, why doesn't he start a band? Why doesn't he at least make his current group of musicians equal partners?

What Dennis wants is be back in the band he was in for most of his life. Not just any band.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

PreviousNext

Return to Styx