Just the Facts

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Just the Facts

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:22 am

Since so many people seem to want to sweep this under the carpet. Here's a reminder.

From http://www.billboard.com/artist/280898/styx/chart

Song Peak Weeks on Chart
Babe 1 19
SMTW 3 23
BOT 3 19
Roboto 3 18
Lady 6 17
DLIE 6 16
CSA 8 22
TMTOMH 9 19
Renegade 16 19

7 biggest songs all written and sung by Dennis. Mic Drop.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:40 am

Your point? I think anyone who listens to Styx beyond hearing them on the radio knows this.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:31 am

I don't think anyone is denying that DDY penned songs had great success on the charts and radio air play. The point that that used to be made here was that it wasn't all that important when it came to the "big picture". Which is why I found it funny that now that stuff seems to matter with "The Mission".
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 am

Tommy bathwater drinkers want to make the case that Tommy is just as important to Styx's success as Dennis which clearly isn't the case. The analytic facts base this out.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:16 am

Toph wrote:Tommy bathwater drinkers want to make the case that Tommy is just as important to Styx's success as Dennis which clearly isn't the case. The analytic facts base this out.



Wah wah wah you should learn how to get over things. Brave New World was a failure of an album. Where was your god Dennis then?
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 am

Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:Tommy bathwater drinkers want to make the case that Tommy is just as important to Styx's success as Dennis which clearly isn't the case. The analytic facts base this out.



Wah wah wah you should learn how to get over things. Brave New World was a failure of an album. Where was your god Dennis then?


He was ill at the time. This was mentioned several times in Sterling's book. The reason for it's failure was that the communication between members broke down during the middle of it. Not to mention that they really weren't "working together" during the bulk of the recording process. Basically JY was shuttling the tapes back and forth between TS\JY in LA and DDY in Chicago.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:Tommy bathwater drinkers want to make the case that Tommy is just as important to Styx's success as Dennis which clearly isn't the case. The analytic facts base this out.



Wah wah wah you should learn how to get over things. Brave New World was a failure of an album. Where was your god Dennis then?


Oh how quickly we forget....

That album sucked because it was a mish mash of crapola. Remember Dennis wanted to delay its release because many of the songs were not complete and the album lacked cohesiveness. Recall too how the liner notes were rushed together and there were numerous spelling and grammatical errors on them. But asshole and coke-head overruled him and they put out a piss poor record that of course didn't sell well. If they were going to have any kind of a chance, they had to have an awesome release. That wasn't it.
Toph
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2706
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:43 am
Location: Springfield, MA

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:09 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:Tommy bathwater drinkers want to make the case that Tommy is just as important to Styx's success as Dennis which clearly isn't the case. The analytic facts base this out.



Wah wah wah you should learn how to get over things. Brave New World was a failure of an album. Where was your god Dennis then?


He was ill at the time. This was mentioned several times in Sterling's book. The reason for it's failure was that the communication between members broke down during the middle of it. Not to mention that they really weren't "working together" during the bulk of the recording process. Basically JY was shuttling the tapes back and forth between TS\JY in LA and DDY in Chicago.


So ill that he flew out to NYC in the middle of the BNW recordings to work on hunchback? Why did communication break down? Why didn't communication break down in the middle of Cyclorama and The Mission? Seems like the latter two have something in common...
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 am

Archetype wrote:So ill that he flew out to NYC in the middle of the BNW recordings to work on hunchback? Why did communication break down? Why didn't communication break down in the middle of Cyclorama and The Mission? Seems like the latter two have something in common...


WHAT IS THE SOURCE of this statement?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 am

Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:So ill that he flew out to NYC in the middle of the BNW recordings to work on hunchback? Why did communication break down? Why didn't communication break down in the middle of Cyclorama and The Mission? Seems like the latter two have something in common...


WHAT IS THE SOURCE of this statement?


JY interview shortly after Brave New World was released.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:06 am
Location: Pleiades

Re: Just the Facts

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:03 am

Archetype wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Archetype wrote:So ill that he flew out to NYC in the middle of the BNW recordings to work on hunchback? Why did communication break down? Why didn't communication break down in the middle of Cyclorama and The Mission? Seems like the latter two have something in common...


WHAT IS THE SOURCE of this statement?


JY interview shortly after Brave New World was released.


I would like to see where he stated DDY flew to NY for HB. Please post a link.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
User avatar
Boomchild
Compact Disc
 
Posts: 5720
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Pennsylvania


Return to Styx

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest