Pieces of Eight 6 92
Styx II 20 19
The Mission 45 2
Big Bang 46 2
Equinox 58 50
Edge 63 38
Crystal Ball 66 18
Cyclorama 127 1

So, this is interesting - you have the big 5 as the highest peaking and longest lasting albums on the charts. Then you have Styx II which was on to the extent of Lady's chart run. Then you have the "pretenders" - The Mission and Big Bang which had a nice peak, but only were on the chart for 2 weeks. In other words, rigged to achieve a high chart position and then were done. Has Brusco written all over it. Then you have Equinox and Edge which didn't have impressive chart peaks but were on the chart for a decent amount of time (9 months for Edge and almost a year for Equinox). Interesting that Edge and Equinox were on the charts longer than Kilroy. (Thanks Tommy Shaw for screwing up the singles for that one with your big baby tantrum on HWBHB and impacting Kilroy chart length.) Then you have Crystal Ball which never got off the ground very well (wait, wasn't that the great Tommy Shaw's first album? And they took a step back?). Then you have Cyclorama which was really before Brusco figured out how you could rig the system.

To that end, the big 5 dominate here then you have Styx II, Equinox, and Edge and really being the albums with the best overall chart performance. Of those 8, Tommy Shaw performs on 5. DDY performs on 8. DDY produces all 8. DDY conceptualizes all 8.

Mic drop.
Toph
Stereo LP

Re: Just the Facts 2

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:45 am

As was I stated in your other thread, I don't think anyone is denying DDY's past contributions to Styx. It's just a fact that TS and JY didn't want to work with him anymore and have moved on to promoting the band as it is now.
They aren't looking back and DDY's public appeals for a reunion are only falling on deaf ears. By now even he has to have some sense of that. For me, I have been over the reunion thing for years now. Dennis has a great band put to together and is control of everything. If I were him, I would be focusing on his forthcoming album and making it his best one yet. He has a lot of talent in his band to pull from.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:05 am

Did Brave New World Never Chart ?

It ran some adds in Rolling Stone and other magazines. I remember one of these adds stating: New Hit Music from Styx

I thought it would of at least charted for a week or 2 back in the late 90's.

What would REALLY be cool & 100% unique is if they toured together. They could take turns opening and closing shows. 90 - 95 minutes each. They could play 4 albums a night.

How AWESOME would that be????? That would be like a DREAM concert for me!!!!!
Last edited by yogi on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:09 am

Do you realize that every dinosaur act (Styx, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, etc) has had the same chart performance with their latest albums and Dennis DeYoung wouldn't change that? Even Journey couldn't crack the top 50 until they had the Arnel Pineda rags to riches story and a 3-disc set to rig the RIAA certifications.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:12 am

Archetype wrote:Do you realize that every dinosaur act (Styx, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, etc) has had the same chart performance with their latest albums and Dennis DeYoung wouldn't change that? Even Journey couldn't crack the top 50 until they had the Arnel Pineda rags to riches story and a 3-disc set to rig the RIAA certifications.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:55 am

brywool wrote:
Archetype wrote:Do you realize that every dinosaur act (Styx, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, etc) has had the same chart performance with their latest albums and Dennis DeYoung wouldn't change that? Even Journey couldn't crack the top 50 until they had the Arnel Pineda rags to riches story and a 3-disc set to rig the RIAA certifications.

Last time I saw, Revolution was a platinum selling record and Arrival was a gold selling record. When was the last time Styx did this? Oh yeah, Return to Paradise, DDY's last legitimate album with the group.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:10 am

Toph wrote:
brywool wrote:

Last time I saw, Revolution was a platinum selling record and Arrival was a gold selling record. When was the last time Styx did this? Oh yeah, Return to Paradise, DDY's last legitimate album with the group.

Are you forgetting about Brave New World? Which debuted at #174 on the billboard? It had Dennis DeYoung on it and flopped. Return To Paradise only did well because it was a live album of old hits; and Styx's first proper live album since Caught In The Act was just the Kilroy fiasco. Also, Arrival never reached gold sales and Revelation only reached platinum because it was a 3 disc set. Eclipse also didn't even reach gold since it was only one disc like Arrival. So this begs the question; are you really this dense, or so you do it purposely for the attention?

"Arrival produced a minor adult contemporary hit with the ballad "All the Way." Peaking at No. 56 on Billboard's album chart,[4] Arrival was the band's first album to not receive at least gold status since 1977's Next.[5] It was also their last studio album under Columbia Records, which had been the band's label since their self-titled 1975 debut."
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Archetype wrote:
Toph wrote:

Are you forgetting about Brave New World? Which debuted at #174 on the billboard? It had Dennis DeYoung on it and flopped. Return To Paradise only did well because it was a live album of old hits; and Styx's first proper live album since Caught In The Act was just the Kilroy fiasco. Also, Arrival never reached gold sales and Revelation only reached platinum because it was a 3 disc set. Eclipse also didn't even reach gold since it was only one disc like Arrival. So this begs the question; are you really this dense, or so you do it purposely for the attention?

"Arrival produced a minor adult contemporary hit with the ballad "All the Way." Peaking at No. 56 on Billboard's album chart,[4] Arrival was the band's first album to not receive at least gold status since 1977's Next.[5] It was also their last studio album under Columbia Records, which had been the band's label since their self-titled 1975 debut."

See my post on another thread re: Brave New Flop. If I were you, I'd stop talking. You're making yourself out to be an idiot.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:03 am

Brave New World flopped because Dennis refused to work on it and instead took off to NYC to do hunchback, on top of the fact that Styx is a dinosaur act that the general public doesn't really care about. Styx doesn't want Dennis back to sabotage them again. The Mission did much better than Brave New World since Dennis wasn't there to undermine it
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Toph » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:46 am

Archetype wrote:Brave New World flopped because Dennis refused to work on it and instead took off to NYC to do hunchback, on top of the fact that Styx is a dinosaur act that the general public doesn't really care about. Styx doesn't want Dennis back to sabotage them again. The Mission did much better than Brave New World since Dennis wasn't there to undermine it

Nope. Brave New Flop flopped because it was a mish mash of crapola. Remember Dennis wanted to delay its release because many of the songs were not complete and the album lacked cohesiveness. Recall too how the liner notes were rushed together and there were numerous spelling and grammatical errors on them. But asshole and coke-head overruled him and they put out a piss poor record that of course didn't sell well. If they were going to have any kind of a chance, they had to have an awesome release. That wasn't it.

Yet asshole and cokehead decided to put it out halfway complete. For being a "rocket scientist", asshole sometimes isn't very smart.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:12 am

Archetype wrote:Brave New World flopped because Dennis refused to work on it and instead took off to NYC to do hunchback, on top of the fact that Styx is a dinosaur act that the general public doesn't really care about. Styx doesn't want Dennis back to sabotage them again. The Mission did much better than Brave New World since Dennis wasn't there to undermine it

Again what is the source of this statement?
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 am

Toph wrote:

Nope. Brave New Flop flopped because it was a mish mash of crapola. Remember Dennis wanted to delay its release because many of the songs were not complete and the album lacked cohesiveness. Recall too how the liner notes were rushed together and there were numerous spelling and grammatical errors on them. But asshole and coke-head overruled him and they put out a piss poor record that of course didn't sell well. If they were going to have any kind of a chance, they had to have an awesome release. That wasn't it.

Yet asshole and cokehead decided to put it out halfway complete. For being a "rocket scientist", asshole sometimes isn't very smart.

Must you always slag TS for his past drug use??? You claimed in another thread how I didn't know shit about addicts and you were basically the expert which I never replied to because it was laughable. Am I happy how DDY's past contributions have practically been erased from Styx's history? Emphatic No!! But you don't see me refer to Tommy as cokehead. It's childish.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby Toph » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:25 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:
Toph wrote:

Must you always slag TS for his past drug use??? You claimed in another thread how I didn't know shit about addicts and you were basically the expert which I never replied to because it was laughable. Am I happy how DDY's past contributions have practically been erased from Styx's history? Emphatic No!! But you don't see me refer to Tommy as cokehead. It's childish.

Facts are facts.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:38 am

Fact is, you're a child.
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby gr8dane » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:45 am

[/quote]Facts are facts.[quote]

And credit where credit is due.
Fact is that Tommy cleaned up his act,got back in the band,got the Styx brand along with JT and Chuck.Got rid of prick Dennis,are playing over 100 of concerts a year,just put out a fantastic new album, getting great reviews.Well done Tommy.You overcame your demons and you are doing fantastic.Keep up the good work. :lol: :D
Well done for an old cokehead,don't you think. :wink:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Return to Styx