4%
Snowblind
17%
1/2 penny
17%

Total votes : 53

Paradise Theater.

Postby gr8dane » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:05 am

What the hey.One more desert island I-Pod selection.
:?:

Mine: Nothing ever,Lonely people,Snowblind 1/2 penny
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Re: Paradise Theater.

Postby FormerDJMike » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Well, since it IS an iPod I would have to pick the whole thing. This is my favorite album and for me it is all or nothing. Just wouldn't be complete leaving anything off!
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby masque » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:43 am

rockin the paradise, best of times, snow-blind for sure. the 4th today was too much time, although it's a coin flip between it and half penny two penny.
masque
8 Track

Postby Toph » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 am

Snow-blind sucks. You all have no taste.Tells me a lot about the listeners of this group that Snowblind has more votes than far superior songs.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:51 am

Toph wrote:Snow-blind sucks. You all have no taste.Tells me a lot about the listeners of this group that Snowblind has more votes than far superior songs.

Once again you take post that is looking to create conversation about the music and YOU turn into a way to insult other posters. If you feel that people here don't know anything then why did you bother coming back?
Last edited by Boomchild on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Toph wrote:Snow-blind sucks. You all have no taste.Tells me a lot about the listeners of this group that Snowblind has more votes than far superior songs.

Sorry topherocious .When you put other peoples choices down,you lose your I-Pod privilige .All you get is island latrine duty and the only song you are allowed to hear is Snowblind ,100 times a day.

Sorry Mr.DJ.If you fiddle with the rules ,and not happy with what you get,I-pod suspended for 6 months,in which time you get to share tophs
bunkie.That should teach you .

Kids these days. :idea: :shock:
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:11 am

gr8dane wrote:

Sorry topherocious .When you put other peoples choices down,you lose your I-Pod privilige .All you get is island latrine duty and the only song you are allowed to hear is Snowblind ,100 times a day.

Sorry Mr.DJ.If you fiddle with the rules ,and not happy with what you get,I-pod suspended for 6 months,in which time you get to share tophs

I say Plexiglass Toilet instead of Snowblind.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby gr8dane » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:16 am

Boomchild wrote:
gr8dane wrote:

I say Plexiglass Toilet instead of Snowblind.

I like the way you are thinking.Plexi while he is on latrine duty.Snowblind the rest of the time. :wink:
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:50 am

Boomchild wrote:

Once again you take post that is looking to create conversation about the music and YOU turn into a way to insult other posters. If you feel that people here don't know anything then why did you bother coming back?

So, wait Boomer. People can diss Babe and First Time etc. and I can't diss Snowblind?
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Toph wrote:
Boomchild wrote:

So, wait Boomer. People can diss Babe and First Time etc. and I can't diss Snowblind?

Perhaps it is unclear to you which part of your post I am referring to. So I will directly point it out to you.

Toph wrote:You all have no taste.Tells me a lot about the listeners of this group

If you can't figure out that this is commentary about the posters here and NOT the song, then no one can help you. Again, it boggles the mind that if you feel people here have no clue, why did you even bother coming back to participate in this forum after you stated that you "were done".
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:45 am

Ok, I looked at my comments on Snowblind and it was a bit harsh. So I apologize. I am just tired of that song. And yes, I realize the music to the chorus was written by Dennis. My understanding is JY wrote the "scary" music part both lyrics and music, Dennis wrote the music to the chorus (the more upbeat part), and Tommy wrote the lyrics to the chorus. It should have been a 3 way co-write, but I think Tommy owed Dennis part of a song credit from somewhere. Crediting in the band was extremely complex.

That being said, I think Paradise Theatre should get more love. There seems to have been a conscious attempt by the current group to almost replace PT with Po8 in the Styx hierarchy of albums. 20 years ago, it was clearly GI followed by PT. Now, Dennis was still in the band then and it might have been his influence then.

But you can't argue that PT was extremely well produced and thematically worked very well. The decline of America as evidenced by boredom and unemployment (TMTOMH), lost dreams and opportunities (NEGAP), people not communicating with one another (LP), Drugs (SB), and making the quick buck at costs (HP2P) all bring out the theme which is resonated throughout TBOT. I don't know where "She Cares" fits in the whole concept, but I think it get unduly picked on. Its not a bad song. And I still say RTP with DeYoung introducing the concept and with the optimistic kick off to the album is a stroke of genius. Even more so - the fact that the lyrics utilize common phrases from the 1920s is brilliant.

Never thought I'd say this 35 or even 20 years ago, but Paradise Theater is now an overlooked and underrated Styx Classic
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:37 am

I ALWAYS loved the song Snowblind. In my opinion it should of been the third release off the album instead of 'Nothing Ever Goes as Planned'. I also felt the song was an attempt by the entire band to garner their second 'Renegade' type of song. The structure is similar to Renegade. It should of been released right after Too Much Time On My Hands, then followed by 'Rockin The Paradise'.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:30 am

Toph wrote:Ok, I looked at my comments on Snowblind and it was a bit harsh. So I apologize. I am just tired of that song. And yes, I realize the music to the chorus was written by Dennis. My understanding is JY wrote the "scary" music part both lyrics and music, Dennis wrote the music to the chorus (the more upbeat part), and Tommy wrote the lyrics to the chorus. It should have been a 3 way co-write, but I think Tommy owed Dennis part of a song credit from somewhere. Crediting in the band was extremely complex.

That being said, I think Paradise Theatre should get more love. There seems to have been a conscious attempt by the current group to almost replace PT with Po8 in the Styx hierarchy of albums. 20 years ago, it was clearly GI followed by PT. Now, Dennis was still in the band then and it might have been his influence then.

But you can't argue that PT was extremely well produced and thematically worked very well. The decline of America as evidenced by boredom and unemployment (TMTOMH), lost dreams and opportunities (NEGAP), people not communicating with one another (LP), Drugs (SB), and making the quick buck at costs (HP2P) all bring out the theme which is resonated throughout TBOT. I don't know where "She Cares" fits in the whole concept, but I think it get unduly picked on. Its not a bad song. And I still say RTP with DeYoung introducing the concept and with the optimistic kick off to the album is a stroke of genius. Even more so - the fact that the lyrics utilize common phrases from the 1920s is brilliant.

Never thought I'd say this 35 or even 20 years ago, but Paradise Theater is now an overlooked and underrated Styx Classic

I can appreciate that you recognize how your comments came off. One can certainly share their views and opinions about the subject, in this case the song without the side comments. It makes for a more constructive discussion. The other just perpetuates mud slinging. I get your point about being tired of a song. Over time it can effect one's opinion or feelings about it. For me I have had my fill of a few. The first that comes to mind is CSA. I could also say the same about Babe. It's not that I think these songs aren't good it's just that I am a little tired of hearing them. I don't think that the current Styx is trying to replace PT with PO8. It's just that TS and JY like the material prior to that album sans Cornerstone. I agree that PT was a excellent album and it's performance on the charts and sales proves that. The production was excellent, the songs were great and the subject and concept were spot on for the times. In my opinion, the issue with current Styx is that there are songs that do not translate well to Gowan's vocal style. Such as Best of Times and even RTP. I remember hearing Gowan doing BOT early on before the retooled their set list. I found it God awful and somewhat embarrassing.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby blt man » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:44 am

I love listening to Snowblind but only when I play it backwards.
blt man
45 RPM

Postby ztyxlynne » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:16 am

I wish they would atill play Half Penny 2 Penny live. I remember hearing it a while ago and it sounds good
ztyxlynne
Ol' 78

Return to Styx