Why no deluxe edition releases?

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Why no deluxe edition releases?

Postby artinis1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 am

Does no one care, the same could be said for Journey, but when you see
other bands or artists release deluxe anniversary sets, why not Styx?
Grand Illusion with a companion live disc from that era, why not?
artinis1
45 RPM

Re: Why no deluxe edition releases?

Postby Boomchild » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:43 am

artinis1 wrote:Does no one care, the same could be said for Journey, but when you see

I assume it is due to UNI\A&M not thinking it's worth it. If I remember correctly, several years ago A&M was looking to release a "deluxe edition" of GI with a bonus disc containing a live concert recording from the GI tour. However, one of the band members objected to the live recording being released. Which seemed to put the kibosh on the project. Frankly I was surprised that UNI re-released the A&M catalog on 180grm vinyl a short time ago. With the decline of the CD format I doubt you will see special editions coming out. At least in the U.S. market. The interesting thing is that when DDY has been asked about outtakes or unreleased material, his answer has always been "nothing exists". Which I find hard to believe. I think it's because he really doesn't feel it's stuff for public consumption.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:06 pm

There was actually one planned around 2004 or so from UMe. Grand Illusion deluxe edition, remastered. Disc 2 would have been a live show from the era from Germany (and I could be wrong on the location but I believe it was Germany, StyxCollector would know for sure he had the same list I did). When I was working in radio one of my contacts from Universal would send me monthly updates on upcoming releases. He would tell me to pick what I wanted and they would send me some to give away on air. I did tell him I wanted that then a month or two later it was removed from the list. When I asked him about it he said "the band blocked it so it has been shelved". So I guess they do have some control over some of it -- i think the issue was the live show. Universal can probably release whatever they want from the catalog but I guess the band had some control over the live material and said no. I don't know this to be fact it was just what I was told by the UMe rep.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:50 am

Boomchild wrote:
artinis1 wrote:Does no one care, the same could be said for Journey, but when you see

I assume it is due to UNI\A&M not thinking it's worth it. If I remember correctly, several years ago A&M was looking to release a "deluxe edition" of GI with a bonus disc containing a live concert recording from the GI tour. However, one of the band members objected to the live recording being released. Which seemed to put the kibosh on the project. Frankly I was surprised that UNI re-released the A&M catalog on 180grm vinyl a short time ago. With the decline of the CD format I doubt you will see special editions coming out. At least in the U.S. market. The interesting thing is that when DDY has been asked about outtakes or unreleased material, his answer has always been "nothing exists". Which I find hard to believe. I think it s because he really doesn't feel it's stuff for public consumption.

I don't necessarily think they don't think it's worth it because I've seen lots of albums given the deluxe treatment that didn't sell what GI, PoE, Cornerstone or PT sold. There's either an issue with the true masters or nothing to add to the album like demos. The ladder you already touched on. There's gotta be something we just don't know. Especially in this era where everything practically gets deluxed. Albums that barely went platinum or sometimes just gold. Hopefully someday we will get lucky because GI definitely deserves it, if not a super deluxe. All that takes is a remastered original and a disc or two full of live material from the tour. If it's true there's no usable demos then live is all we can hope for. Maybe 2 shows. Also a disc of 5.1 surround and a 180 gram vinyl to round it off. All encased in a kick ass box with a booklet of pics and band interviews about the album. We can dream.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby artinis1 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:15 am

Right on, it would be so great to get a companion live disc from all the albums in a 2cd
deluxe edition, at the least live downloads, we ain't getting any younger, I wish Journey
would do this too, similar to what Phil Collins did with his reissues, select live tracks, 6-7 songs
for each,
artinis1
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:03 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:I don't necessarily think they don't think it's worth it because I've seen lots of albums given the deluxe treatment that didn't sell what GI, PoE, Cornerstone or PT sold. There's either an issue with the true masters or nothing to add to the album like demos. The ladder you already touched on. There's gotta be something we just don't know. Especially in this era where everything practically gets deluxed. Albums that barely went platinum or sometimes just gold. Hopefully someday we will get lucky because GI definitely deserves it, if not a super deluxe. All that takes is a remastered original and a disc or two full of live material from the tour. If it's true there's no usable demos then live is all we can hope for. Maybe 2 shows. Also a disc of 5.1 surround and a 180 gram vinyl to round it off. All encased in a kick ass box with a booklet of pics and band interviews about the album. We can dream.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 180grm re-issues were remastered versions. I believe true masters are available except for Cornerstone. I believe TS commented at some point that those were "lost".
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Boomchild wrote:
Baron Von Bielski wrote:I don't necessarily think they don't think it's worth it because I've seen lots of albums given the deluxe treatment that didn't sell what GI, PoE, Cornerstone or PT sold. There's either an issue with the true masters or nothing to add to the album like demos. The ladder you already touched on. There's gotta be something we just don't know. Especially in this era where everything practically gets deluxed. Albums that barely went platinum or sometimes just gold. Hopefully someday we will get lucky because GI definitely deserves it, if not a super deluxe. All that takes is a remastered original and a disc or two full of live material from the tour. If it's true there's no usable demos then live is all we can hope for. Maybe 2 shows. Also a disc of 5.1 surround and a 180 gram vinyl to round it off. All encased in a kick ass box with a booklet of pics and band interviews about the album. We can dream.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 180grm re-issues were remastered versions. I believe true masters are available except for Cornerstone. I believe TS commented at some point that those were "lost".

I was only speculating. I wouldn't know anything for sure. Just brainstorming.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby FormerDJMike » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Yes, the 180 gram vinyl was remastered by Ron McMaster including Cornerstone. A remaster can still be done from any analog (or digital source) even if the master tapes are gone.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:41 pm

FormerDJMike wrote:Yes, the 180 gram vinyl was remastered by Ron McMaster including Cornerstone. A remaster can still be done from any analog (or digital source) even if the master tapes are gone.

Exactly. Universal may not have the masters. They may no longer exist.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby StyxCollector » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Do a search. This has been discussed many times as to why, including by me. The tapes are fine, FWIW. And there is stuff that could be released for some albums as part of a deluxe.

The Journey remasters (especially the 2nd set; the catalog was redone for digital 3x including the original CDs) are not great.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:46 am

StyxCollector wrote:Do a search. This has been discussed many times as to why, including by me. The tapes are fine, FWIW. And there is stuff that could be released for some albums as part of a deluxe.

The Journey remasters (especially the 2nd set; the catalog was redone for digital 3x including the original CDs) are not great.

Yes, it has been talked about before. But things change over time and the deluxe or super deluxe treatment seems to be given to all sorts of releases less deserving than many Styx albums. Even more so than before. IMO.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby StyxCollector » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 am

Baron Von Bielski wrote:Yes, it has been talked about before. But things change over time and the deluxe or super deluxe treatment seems to be given to all sorts of releases less deserving than many Styx albums. Even more so than before. IMO.

Nothing has changed with regards to Styx.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby artinis1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:05 am

It’s so frustrating when a band like Big Country releases a 5 cd live box set,
not to mention so many bands that have sold far less, I would love live tracks
added to all their albums on deluxe editions
artinis1
45 RPM

Postby Boomchild » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:37 am

I think what hinders releases like this is special content. I could be wrong but I get the impression that Styx doesn't have much when it comes to unreleased live material. Then you have the resistance (mainly DDY) from releasing outtakes or alternate versions that may exist. I believe DDY is of the mind set that this stuff is not meant for public consumption. I think he feels that it was not good enough to make it on an album then it's not meant to be heard.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Kilroy1983 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Kilroy1983
Ol' 78

Postby StyxCollector » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:38 am

Boomchild wrote:I think what hinders releases like this is special content. I could be wrong but I get the impression that Styx doesn't have much when it comes to unreleased live material. Then you have the resistance (mainly DDY) from releasing outtakes or alternate versions that may exist. I believe DDY is of the mind set that this stuff is not meant for public consumption. I think he feels that it was not good enough to make it on an album then it's not meant to be heard.

There's enough non-album/demo/live stuff to make some interesting releases for some albums. I'll leave it at that.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:57 am

It’s too bad. A lot of these anniversary deluxe releases other bands have released have been well put together. I’m really no longer interested too much in just a simple 2-disc release. I really like when it includes the LP, the original disc, a live disc and a blu-ray audio 5.1 surround mix. I’ve never been too keen on demos unless they offer something really unique. Not just crappy versions of the album tracks.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby artinis1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:05 pm

I would love live stuff from the Paradise Theater tour and Cornerstone tour,
Does anything exist? Did they actually record shows from those days ?
artinis1
45 RPM

Postby FormerDJMike » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 pm

The live show from Japan is probably the best live show there is. It is a bootleg, look for "Live Illusion". Look hard enough and you can find it online. From the Paradise tour. Look on YouTube and you can find the videos.

A year or so ago I found a couple of Amazon as downloads called "Legendary FM Broadcasts" but Amazon has pulled those.
FormerDJMike
8 Track

Postby yogi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:00 am

Wasn't there a really great boot of the Paradise Theater show from Baltimore? That may have been Journey but I think it was Styx.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Boomchild » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:30 pm

yogi wrote:Wasn't there a really great boot of the Paradise Theater show from Baltimore? That may have been Journey but I think it was Styx.

I believe you are referring to the bootleg that has been called Live from the Capitol Center.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Thats it, and it is a very good recording.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby S2M » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:35 am

Rifling through my audio files I came across a few audio boots. Anyone know if these are commonly known ones, or hidden gems?

Live in Providence '75
Winterland Illusion 1.28.78
Sunset in Paradise '83
Grand Illusion Live '77
Tom Brady IS the G.O.A.T.
S2M
MP3

Postby Kilroy1983 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 am

S2M wrote:Rifling through my audio files I came across a few audio boots. Anyone know if these are commonly known ones, or hidden gems?

Live in Providence '75
Sunset in Paradise '83
Grand Illusion Live '77

They are great boots and long time known to me... anyway there's no so much boots of Styx from the 70's around.
Winterland 78 is awesome. A Complete Grand Illusion Tour set.
Kilroy1983
Ol' 78

Postby StyxCollector » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 pm

artinis1 wrote:I would love live stuff from the Paradise Theater tour and Cornerstone tour,
Does anything exist? Did they actually record shows from those days ?

Yes, and more than what has been circulating for years. For my money, the Mantra Studios radio live show from 77 is the best Styx boot. Pre-GI (right before the release). COmpare that to the 78 Chicago Stadium show - very different band live. Much less fire.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxCollector » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:07 pm

S2M wrote:Rifling through my audio files I came across a few audio boots. Anyone know if these are commonly known ones, or hidden gems?

Live in Providence '75
Sunset in Paradise '83
Grand Illusion Live '77

All common. The 75 is just the KBFH, but not the whole show. I have the original KBFH reels which have a few extra songs.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby StyxCollector » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Baron Von Bielski wrote:It’s too bad. A lot of these anniversary deluxe releases other bands have released have been well put together. I’m really no longer interested too much in just a simple 2-disc release. I really like when it includes the LP, the original disc, a live disc and a blu-ray audio 5.1 surround mix. I’ve never been too keen on demos unless they offer something really unique. Not just crappy versions of the album tracks.

I prefer demos and outtakes to pretty much anything else. The GI stuff is interesting.
StyxCollector
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:07 pm

A "digitally remastered" version of CTA has popped up on Amazon. Strangely it's only one disc and does not appear to be complete.

https://www.amazon.com/Caught-Act-Live- ... words=Styx
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby StyxGuy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:30 am

Boomchild wrote:A "digitally remastered" version of CTA has popped up on Amazon. Strangely it's only one disc and does not appear to be complete.

Looks like it's done by BGO Records. Amazon UK shows it as a Feb 2 release.

http://www.bgo-records.com/albums/bgocd ... e-act-live

They're the same company that made the Equinox/Crystal Ball single CD.
StyxGuy
LP

Postby Boomchild » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:36 am

StyxGuy wrote:
Boomchild wrote:A "digitally remastered" version of CTA has popped up on Amazon. Strangely it's only one disc and does not appear to be complete.

Looks like it's done by BGO Records. Amazon UK shows it as a Feb 2 release.

http://www.bgo-records.com/albums/bgocd ... e-act-live

They're the same company that made the Equinox/Crystal Ball single CD.

Wonder how this would compare to the A&M SHM remastered release?
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Next

Return to Styx