T.O. Sons Of Apollo/ JSS/Mike Portnoy/ Dream Theater

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

T.O. Sons Of Apollo/ JSS/Mike Portnoy/ Dream Theater

Postby yogi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:43 am

They have released their first single. Its on the home page. GREAT GREAT song.

Jeff Scott Soto is a GREAT front man. Its even better seeing ex Dream Theater drummer & Dream Theater founder Mike Portnoy.
Maybe rocks BEST all time drummer.

Cant wait to purchase this.

Gonna see Dream Theater in early December at the Bass Theater in Austin. Images & Words 25th Anniversary Tour. Love the set list. Cant wait to hear A Change of Seasons for the first time ever live. The best prog song ever. Cant believe Mike wont be on the drums for this gem. It was pretty much his song.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Re: T.O. Sons Of Apollo/ JSS/Mike Portnoy/ Dream Theater

Postby masque » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 pm

yah i love Portnoy as well, but he played the wrong hand with his DT bandmates and they called his bluff. He really had a stupid idea and what he proposed was very selfish and honestly he did it because he thought he had the inside track on the avenged sevenfold gig.

asking everyone else to sit quietly for five years was dead wrong.

I wish it had not happened but I think the albums they have made since his departure are as good as anything they have done. and Mangini is certainly a drumming beast in his own right.

I'm seeing DT in Nashville in early November......very stoked for sure!

I think Portnoy would be the perfect replacement for Neal Peart in the event Rush ever decide to continue to move forward as Rush since Neal has retired. If Neal would endorse the replacement drummer I think the fans would accept it......for the most part. lol
masque
8 Track

Postby yogi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 am

This will be my 6th time to see Dream Theater. Only once did I see them with Portnoy. He's the best, but I have no problem at all with Mangini.

You are 100% correct about Mike Portnoy playing his situation completely wrong. He thought after the Nightmare tour he was Avenge Sevenfolds drummer. He was a hired hand and it bit him in the ass. Still with that said Portnoy is still the best. Like you, I have totally loved everthing Dream Theater has done with Mangini on the drums.

The set list looks great. 3 hour show capped off with ' A Change Of Seasons' I cant wait.

The only thing better would be if they somehow slipped Octavarium & A Nightmare to Remember into the set.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby masque » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:24 am

^ this for sure.....you got me all fired up thinking about getting to hear a change of seasons. man I can't wait.
masque
8 Track

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:58 am

yogi wrote:They have released their first single. Its on the home page. GREAT GREAT song.

Jeff Scott Soto is a GREAT front man. Its even better seeing ex Dream Theater drummer & Dream Theater founder Mike Portnoy.
Maybe rocks BEST all time drummer.

Cant wait to purchase this.

Gonna see Dream Theater in early December at the Bass Theater in Austin. Images & Words 25th Anniversary Tour. Love the set list. Cant wait to hear A Change of Seasons for the first time ever live. The best prog song ever. Cant believe Mike wont be on the drums for this gem. It was pretty much his song.

I'd have to disagree about the best drummer statement. Mike Mangini IMO is the best which we all know just happens to be his DT replacement.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Postby yogi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 am

They are BOTH beyond GREAT. The VERY VERY TOP of the TOP. IMO Portnoy brings more overall to the table in regards to writing & vocals.
yogi
Stereo LP

Postby Baron Von Bielski » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:59 am

yogi wrote:They are BOTH beyond GREAT. The VERY VERY TOP of the TOP. IMO Portnoy brings more overall to the table in regards to writing & vocals.

I'll give you the writing. Vocals not so much. More growling. But yes, both exceptional. Dream Theater has always had the very cream of the crop when it's come to musicians.
BVB
Baron Von Bielski
8 Track

Return to Styx