Another year of HOF nominations out and...

Paradise Theater

Moderator: Andrew

Re: Another year of HOF nominations out and...

Postby Cassie May » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:32 am

Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
I think you summarize your feelings quite well here...

So, in one paragraph you've said:
- Styx has little accolades (or not enough to get in) despite the fact that I laid out a plethora of reasons why they should get in
- Styx can't get past the industry stigma around them
- Styx isn't cool

Like I said, with fans like you....

I can't help it if reality does not match what YOUR perception is. As far accolades from the public and those in the industry, yes there are plenty of other bands\artists that were given more attention then Styx. That's not to say Styx was not deserving of the same consideration. It's just how it is. The stigma both by people in the industry and the public is\was real. Critics were well known for not liking Styx' output. They dismissed them and in some cases down right mocked them. Other rock artists have dismissed and mocked the band. Even members of this forum have talked about how they have been teased or given a hard time for professing their liking of Styx. And no Styx was never considered "cool'. If you don't believe that, point out and article or whatever that shows they were thought of being so. Here is a question for you, just what do YOU think has stopped Styx from consideration for induction?

Yeah, I agree with Boomchild here. During their heyday, Styx was never considered cool. Critics loathed the band and their music ("parking lot full of whale vomit" and "narcissistic slop" come to mind) and put them down at every opportunity. Why do you think Derek Sutton allowed no media access to the band? He was sick and tired of all the disrespect and negativity. And yes, it's true, even being a fan during those years was not easy. I was in junior high and high school during the late 70s and early 80s, and it was far, far cooler to be a fan of Zep, the Who, or even Journey. Yes, Styx sold a lot of albums and sold out a lot of arenas, but other bands of the era did also and had albums that sold millions more than Styx did. I'm not putting down the band by any means, but that is simply how it was.
Sometimes it makes no sense at all.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby Toph » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 am

Cassie May wrote:
Boomchild wrote:
Toph wrote:
I think you summarize your feelings quite well here...

So, in one paragraph you've said:
- Styx has little accolades (or not enough to get in) despite the fact that I laid out a plethora of reasons why they should get in
- Styx can't get past the industry stigma around them
- Styx isn't cool

Like I said, with fans like you....

I can't help it if reality does not match what YOUR perception is. As far accolades from the public and those in the industry, yes there are plenty of other bands\artists that were given more attention then Styx. That's not to say Styx was not deserving of the same consideration. It's just how it is. The stigma both by people in the industry and the public is\was real. Critics were well known for not liking Styx' output. They dismissed them and in some cases down right mocked them. Other rock artists have dismissed and mocked the band. Even members of this forum have talked about how they have been teased or given a hard time for professing their liking of Styx. And no Styx was never considered "cool'. If you don't believe that, point out and article or whatever that shows they were thought of being so. Here is a question for you, just what do YOU think has stopped Styx from consideration for induction?

Yeah, I agree with Boomchild here. During their heyday, Styx was never considered cool. Critics loathed the band and their music ("parking lot full of whale vomit" and "narcissistic slop" come to mind) and put them down at every opportunity. Why do you think Derek Sutton allowed no media access to the band? He was sick and tired of all the disrespect and negativity. And yes, it's true, even being a fan during those years was not easy. I was in junior high and high school during the late 70s and early 80s, and it was far, far cooler to be a fan of Zep, the Who, or even Journey. Yes, Styx sold a lot of albums and sold out a lot of arenas, but other bands of the era did also and had albums that sold millions more than Styx did. I'm not putting down the band by any means, but that is simply how it was.

Cassie and Boomer - (two peas in a pod) - I just have one question for you who like to say that there were "a lot more bands who were bigger than Styx?" - Who was the most popular band in 1980? I'll wait...
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Cassie May » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:11 am

Toph, Toph, Toph. You just love to turn everything into an argument, don't you? Do you perhaps have Oppositional Defiant Disorder? At any rate, to answer your question, yes, Styx was voted the most popular band in 1980 in a Gallup poll of 13 to 17 year olds. However, just for you who loves charts and figures so much, I did a little research. I looked up the top selling albums of 1980 and found a list published in Record World, which was a music industry trade magazine. According to sales figures, these were the top selling albums of 1980:
30) Eric Clapton, Just One Night
29) Isley Brothers, Go All the Way
28) Empire Strikes Back soundtrack
27) Stevie Wonder, Hotter Than July
26) Doobie Brothers, One Step Closer
25) Styx, Cornerstone
24) Bruce Springsteen, The River
23) The Whispers, The Whispers
22) Kenny Rogers, Kenny
21) Dan Fogelberg, Phoenix
20) Van Halen, Women and Children First
19) AC/DC, Back in Black
18) Donna Summer, On the Radio
17) George Benson, Give Me the Night
16) Christopher Cross, Christopher Cross
15) Pat Benatar, Crimes of Passion
14) Kenny Rogers, Greatest Hits
13) Rolling Stones, Emotional Rescue
12) Linda Ronstadt, Mad Love
11) Tom Petty, Damn the Torpedoes
10) Jackson Browne, Hold Out
09) Xanadu soundtrack
08) Barbra Streisand, Guilty
07) Diana Ross, Diana
06) Eagles, The Long Run
05) Urban Cowboy soundtrack
04) Queen, The Game
03) Bob Seger, Against the Wind
02) Pink Floyd, The Wall
01) Billy Joel, Glass Houses

So, okay. What is the yardstick to be used to determine popularity? A bunch of teenagers in a poll? Sales figures of albums? Grammy awards? Sales numbers for concert attendance? How about T-shirt sales? Perhaps that is how we'll measure popularity. "Popularity" is a totally subjective concept unless there are defined parameters. Personally, I never did put much stock in that Gallup poll (even when I heard about it in 1980) because, they only polled 13-17 year olds, and, how much you wanna bet a big percentage of them were girls?
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby gr8dane » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 am

Cassie May wrote:Toph, Toph, Toph. You just love to turn everything into an argument, don't you? Do you perhaps have Oppositional Defiant Disorder? At any rate, to answer your question, yes, Styx was voted the most popular band in 1980 in a Gallup poll of 13 to 17 year olds. However, just for you who loves charts and figures so much, I did a little research. I looked up the top selling albums of 1980 and found a list published in Record World, which was a music industry trade magazine. According to sales figures, these were the top selling albums of 1980:
25) Styx, Cornerstone
22) Kenny Rogers, Kenny
19) AC/DC, Back in Black
09) Xanadu soundtrack
07) Diana Ross, Diana
06) Eagles, The Long Run
04) Queen, The Game
02) Pink Floyd, The Wall

So, okay. What is the yardstick to be used to determine popularity? A bunch of teenagers in a poll? Sales figures of albums? Grammy awards? Sales numbers for concert attendance? How about T-shirt sales? Perhaps that is how we'll measure popularity. "Popularity" is a totally subjective concept unless there are defined parameters. Personally, I never did put much stock in that Gallup poll (even when I heard about it in 1980) because, they only polled 13-17 year olds, and, how much you wanna bet a big percentage of them were girls?

Mic drops. 8) :lol:
Jesus loves you ,but everybody else thinks you're a knob.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:36 am

Cassie May wrote:Toph, Toph, Toph. You just love to turn everything into an argument, don't you? Do you perhaps have Oppositional Defiant Disorder? At any rate, to answer your question, yes, Styx was voted the most popular band in 1980 in a Gallup poll of 13 to 17 year olds. However, just for you who loves charts and figures so much, I did a little research. I looked up the top selling albums of 1980 and found a list published in Record World, which was a music industry trade magazine. According to sales figures, these were the top selling albums of 1980:
25) Styx, Cornerstone
22) Kenny Rogers, Kenny
19) AC/DC, Back in Black
09) Xanadu soundtrack
07) Diana Ross, Diana
06) Eagles, The Long Run
04) Queen, The Game
02) Pink Floyd, The Wall

Cassie - you're sheer brilliance continues to amaze. I guess timing means nothing to you. Cornerstone was released in October of 1979, so you are excluding its sales from its biggest selling months, also when Babe peaked at #1 (in December). The fact that it was 25 considering you have excluded its 3 biggest months is quite impressive.
Last edited by Toph on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:37 am

gr8dane wrote:
25) Styx, Cornerstone
22) Kenny Rogers, Kenny
19) AC/DC, Back in Black
09) Xanadu soundtrack
07) Diana Ross, Diana
06) Eagles, The Long Run
04) Queen, The Game
02) Pink Floyd, The Wall

Mic drops. 8) :lol:

The only mic dropping is that you and Cassie don't know how to count. Dumb ass.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Cassie May » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:19 am

Toph, your sheer idiocy continues to amaze me. You demanded to know who was the most popular group in 1980. Therefore, I looked up album sales for 1980. That list shows sales in 1980, January through December, regardless of release date. The article even stated that Cornerstone, while released in 1979, continued to sell well in 1980 due to the success of Babe. So, who was the most popular in 1980? According to Gallup, it was Styx; according to album sales, it was Billy Joel.

But, you know what? You just keep on living in Tophland and believing what you want to believe.
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby gr8dane » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:38 am

I don't think Styx will ever make it in.
For all the things toph seem to think will get them in,I think,those things are exactly ,what is not going to get them in.
Yes Dennis wrote the their #1 hit Babe and if First Time had been released it would have been another.Yes Cornerstone was all this and that in 1980.Mr.Roboto was a hit whenever.
But when people look at it today,Styx was that.?You gotta be kidding me.
So the things that was 'hip' then,is total cheese today.
Sorry toph. Sorry Dennis,you are out of date.You haven't aged well.Mic drops.,
Carry on Styx.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Toph wrote:Cassie and Boomer - (two peas in a pod) - I just have one question for you who like to say that there were "a lot more bands who were bigger than Styx?" - Who was the most popular band in 1980? I'll wait...

Notice how Toph didn't reply to my question about what HE THINKS the reason(s) Styx has yet to be nominated? Keep in mind this coming from someone that has told us repeatedly that they work "in the industry". Well it's pretty sad if a industry person can't answer this simple question. There's no point in continuing this discussion if you can't answer it.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:20 pm

gr8dane wrote:I don't think Styx will ever make it in.
For all the things toph seem to think will get them in,I think,those things are exactly ,what is not going to get them in.
Yes Dennis wrote the their #1 hit Babe and if First Time had been released it would have been another.Yes Cornerstone was all this and that in 1980.Mr.Roboto was a hit whenever.
Carry on Styx.

I think the general lack of appreciation extends to the full band as opposed to just one member. When a critic called PO8 a "Parking Lot of Whale Vomit" I think he was covering All the bases. Even though TS was considered a semi "pin up" boy for tween girls I don't think the general rock audience considered him hip or cool. To sum it up they all fell into that category.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." George Washington
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Boomchild » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Cassie May wrote:Toph, your sheer idiocy continues to amaze me. You demanded to know who was the most popular group in 1980. Therefore, I looked up album sales for 1980. That list shows sales in 1980, January through December, regardless of release date. The article even stated that Cornerstone, while released in 1979, continued to sell well in 1980 due to the success of Babe. So, who was the most popular in 1980? According to Gallup, it was Styx; according to album sales, it was Billy Joel.

But, you know what? You just keep on living in Tophland and believing what you want to believe.

A poll that showed it was between 13-17yr olds. Bet there were bands that had better popularity across a broader age group. Let's say AC\DC for example.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Cassie May » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 am

Boomchild wrote:
Cassie May wrote:Toph, your sheer idiocy continues to amaze me. You demanded to know who was the most popular group in 1980. Therefore, I looked up album sales for 1980. That list shows sales in 1980, January through December, regardless of release date. The article even stated that Cornerstone, while released in 1979, continued to sell well in 1980 due to the success of Babe. So, who was the most popular in 1980? According to Gallup, it was Styx; according to album sales, it was Billy Joel.

A poll that showed it was between 13-17yr olds. Bet there were bands that had better popularity across a broader age group. Let's say AC\DC for example.

Oh, I agree. A poll of, say, 13-30 year olds would have been interesting. Gallup probably chose 13-17 year olds because (and I am no industry insider here, I'm just guessing) historically teenagers are the demographic with the most disposable income so therefore, they are the ones who buy the most records and concert tickets. But I bet if the age parameters had been expanded, the results would have shown Zep, or the Stones, or AC/DC, or the Who. Hell, if anyone had polled my high school back then the results would have shown that. :wink:
Cassie May
45 RPM

Postby gr8dane » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 am

Boomchild wrote:
Carry on Styx.

I think the general lack of appreciation extends to the full band as opposed to just one member. When a critic called PO8 a "Parking Lot of Whale Vomit" I think he was covering All the bases. Even though TS was considered a semi "pin up" boy for tween girls I don't think the general rock audience considered him hip or cool. To sum it up they all fell into that category.

Well toph thinks Dennis is Styx.
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:16 am

Cassie May wrote: Hell, if anyone had polled my high school back then the results would have shown that. :wink:

Speaking of high school, When I was there in the 80's which would be the height of Styx' popularity, I never saw anyone wearing a Styx t-shirt. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Dokken, Metallica to name a few were most common. Interestingly though CSA was the theme song to our prom. Here's a funny side note, the school eventually band all graphic t-shirts. This was due to a student that wore a Metallica t-shirt that on the back read "Metal Up Your Ass!"
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby Toph » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:34 am

Wow, you just aren't bright. Half of Cornerstone's sales occurred in the last 3 months of '79. This also drove the popularity in the 1980 Gallup poll.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:35 am

Carry on Styx.

Yep, another fucking idiot. Did you watch Goldberg's last night? Tell me again what has and hasn't aged well.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Toph » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 am

Boomchild wrote:
Cassie May wrote: Hell, if anyone had polled my high school back then the results would have shown that. :wink:

Speaking of high school, When I was there in the 80's which would be the height of Styx' popularity, I never saw anyone wearing a Styx t-shirt. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Dokken, Metallica to name a few were most common. Interestingly though CSA was the theme song to our prom. Here's a funny side note, the school eventually band all graphic t-shirts. This was due to a student that wore a Metallica t-shirt that on the back read "Metal Up Your Ass!"

Oh, OK, so let's make assumptions based on the T shirts that Boomer saw of his loser friends. Yep, that's statistically accurate. What a moron.
Toph
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 am

Toph wrote:Oh, OK, so let's make assumptions based on the T shirts that Boomer saw of his loser friends. Yep, that's statistically accurate. What a moron.

Still waiting for you to tell us what YOU THINK the reason(s) are that Styx has yet to be nominated. Here you are pontificating on how everyone else is wrong and you can't even post YOUR OWN. You are pathetic. I suggest the rest of us here agree to remain silent in this thread until Toph presents us with what he thinks the reason(s) are. Who's with me?
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby yogi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:54 am

I TRULY believe that they will get in. They were too good and VERY popular for too long. Maybe they didnt age as well as Journey and some others BUT at the time they were HUGE and BIGGER than any band in the US.

With 3 lead singers and the versatility that they displayed for reasons that I already pointed out, at some point the right people will realize this and they will get in.

They played progressive rock, straight ahead hard rock, pomp rock, soft rock, theatrical rock, folk rock and techno had major success with all those types of music and had major hits in 3 different decades. They WILL get in.

But still I ask, Does it really matter?????
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby scarab » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 am

It would matter greatly if they let DDY perform and finally get some closure between the band.
For Journey it mattered just to see Perry on a stage giving a great speech.
Styx fans are lucky that they have had Styx and DDY touring since the split.

If they did make it, what 3 songs would they play?
CSA is a given, Too much Time? LAdy?
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Lady, Renegade, Come Sail Away
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby masque » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 pm

more than one ting can be true;

styx has done enough to get in.

styx maybe hasn't aged as well as journey, but i think they have aged well in comparison to other "corporate rock" bands.

to me styx is still sort of the spot light more than many of their contemporaries even now......case in point, the gold berg's last week.......CSA was also part of the NFL on fox yesterday. it's not like they and their music has fallen off the radar in comparison to other bands with similar ages.

styx was despised by the critics as we all know, and that will hurt them with the HOF. but so was KISS and RUSH but they got in, but probably because their fanbases were more organized and unison in their assault on the HOF.

with all of that said, I do think there are enough things stacked against them and their "branding" that it makes it an uphill battle to get them in. I think Journey put a crack in the door, but it will take other similar bands making it in to crack it enough for styx to make it.....look for foreigner and boston and maybe even REO to make it before styx does.
masque
8 Track

Postby gr8dane » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 am

Toph wrote:
Carry on Styx.

Yep, another fucking idiot. Did you watch Goldberg's last night? Tell me again what has and hasn't aged well.

No I didn't watch Goldbergs last night,or any other night.But ,I guess the importance of the show,it must be some kind of music programme.?Do these music specialist discuss who should or shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame ? Did they predict who gets in and who don't ?
gr8dane
Stereo LP

Postby Boomchild » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 am

gr8dane wrote:
Toph wrote:
Carry on Styx.

No I didn't watch Goldbergs last night,or any other night.But ,I guess the importance of the show,it must be some kind of music programme.?Do these music specialist discuss who should or shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame ? Did they predict who gets in and who don't ?

Still waiting for Toph to tell us all just why Styx hasn't been nominated. Since according to him everyone else is wrong.
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Postby LtVanish » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 am

I hope Styx doesn't get in, because of the drama of the band, I think it will end up making matter worse than they are, especially since it sounds like JY and Tommy would not allow for Dennis to perform with them on this sort of occasion. I understand their position and I have reread Sterling's book again recently to try to understand both sides a little better.
Wig Wam is the greatest band since bread was sliced.
LtVanish
Cassette Tape

Postby Boomchild » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:01 am

LtVanish wrote:I hope Styx doesn't get in, because of the drama of the band, I think it will end up making matter worse than they are, especially since it sounds like JY and Tommy would not allow for Dennis to perform with them on this sort of occasion. I understand their position and I have reread Sterling's book again recently to try to understand both sides a little better.

This is pretty sad considering how much time has passed. That they are unwilling to do a short performance together in celebration of what they achieved together. I guess one could ask: if they can't do it, do they even deserve to be recognized at all?
Boomchild
Compact Disc

Previous

Return to Styx